• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

conman

If there's a way to become virtually invincible through skills and equipment, especially early on, then maybe it shouldn't be there or relegated to the end of the game.
That's precisely it. The game starts off easy for folks used to shooters. Then, about an hour in, just as the difficulty begins to ramp up a bit, you're thrown 3-4 skills and weapons that totally obviate the increased "complexity." It can be great when you feel like an overpowered badass near the end of a game or on a second playthrough, but I need to feel like the game earns it first. And in a long game like this, earning it should take time and effort. I want to feel rewarded, not pandered to.

Far Cry 3 goes straight to dessert and proceeds to toss more and more cheesecake your way for the remaining 20-30 hours. So it takes "health nuts" like me to find ways to slow down the supply. Give me some steak and potatoes to enjoy and work on for a while, then bring the dessert.

Pyronite

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/10/far-cry-3-the-vaas-that-never-was

This had been hinted at before, but some neat info in here.
"Far Cry 3: The Vaas That Never Was"

bullbodyignjpg-48a87f_610w.jpg

zychi

Banned
anyone know if i use a trainer for single player if ill get in trouble on steam? i want to just screw around with some cheats on but if its risks me getting banned on steam i'll avoid it.

Sullichin

anyone know if i use a trainer for single player if ill get in trouble on steam? i want to just screw around with some cheats on but if its risks me getting banned on steam i'll avoid it.

It doesn't use VAC so I highly doubt you'll get banned from steam. I have no idea if Uplay has any anti cheat stuff though.

Man this game, this fucking game....

Was doing one of the hunter quests. Was trying to kill the blank panther in that field on top of a mountain. It was night, with a thunderstorm going and some how half the field ended up on fire as I bow hunted the animal to death.

So good..........

How long does it usually take to load an MP-map on PS3?
This game takes ages. I'm sitting here at the flashing map loading screen with that electronic music and nothing happens.
I already restarted the game and the PS3 wasn't frozen.

Neverfade

Just finished.

Some fun gameplay but what the entire hell at that story.

This has probably been discussed but 65 pages is a lot to sort through:

I'm not crazy in the fact that they never explained how you survive a stab to the gut from Vaas, right?

Also the poker game with Hoyt. I have two guards holding me down and then all of a sudden I'm in the forever-darkness having a sword fight. WHaaaaaat.

I youtubed the join Citra ending. Someone thought that was a good idea?

The One Qoo

Neo Member
Finished it this morning, really enjoyed it. Dont know if i will spend time collecting the last few relics i missed but on the whole i liked it.
Is there any DLC coming for the 360 version ?

codhand

Played a couple dozen hours this weekend with a friend, I have no idea how people can do complete runs in under 35 hours, seems like it would be a lot longer than that.

Enco

Just finished the game.

Don't get the story hate. It was all great and gripping. Only the boss(?) fights sucked. Really anti climatic and silly. The ending was kinda lacklustre but I liked it. Who on earth would choose
Citra
?

Haven't touched the side missions or side activities. Don't see my self doing much because they probably aren't that exciting. I unlocked rarely any communication towers because I didn't really need them and they got boring.

I'll probably spend some time relaxing and checking out the world though.

TTG

If I had to choose between keeping the story missions and outposts, I would pick the outposts. So yea, side missions are cool.

Sullichin

Is it in 1920x1080?

no
. Just like Criterion's Need for Speed: Most Wanted, the 360 version runs at 1280x704, with eight-pixel borders at the top and bottom of the screen accounting for the reduction. It's unclear how this benefits performance precisely (we suspect it's easier on memory management), but the avoidance of any upscaling means we're left with a very clear image indeed.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-far-cry-3-face-off

FyreWulff

This game did a fricking amazing job with the wild life.
They are legitametly scary. Diving in the ocean is terrifying. Crossing a river is terrifying.

What? Does this even exist in any 360 game?

There's a few. Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Perfect Dark (@ 60fps), and I believe (not-an-N64-port) Virtua Tennis did native 1080p. There's a couple more I think.

Charles

I must be missing something, but how do I go about acquiring a suppressor for my sniper rifle? I can't buy it at the shop or the automated machines, but can't seem to find any information as to where it can be found...

I must be missing something, but how do I go about acquiring a suppressor for my sniper rifle? I can't buy it at the shop or the automated machines, but can't seem to find any information as to where it can be found...

go to any shop or vending machine, find the sniper rifle you have already purchased/acquired and there should be a prompt to customize, then equip from there

It's A to customize and Y to equip on 360

The first tier, most basic weapons can't be customized, so if you have the basic sniper you can't add a suppressor. The second tier one can have one though

Only the second and third sniper rifles have cans available for them. The signature one is not silenced either.

Tesseract

Banned
beat this a few weeks ago and i already want to play it again. are there any mods that up the difficulty, remove the hud, so forth?

Charles

go to any shop or vending machine, find the sniper rifle you have already purchased/acquired and there should be a prompt to customize, then equip from there

It's A to customize and Y to equip on 360

The first tier, most basic weapons can't be customized, so if you have the basic sniper you can't add a suppressor. The second tier one can have one though
Thanks, I feel like an idiot now :)

RkOwnage

Just started the single player in the last 2 days. I played through the Co-op missions with a friend to help him finish up his achievements, but I was working on the Skyrim DLC and didn't commit time for the Campaign, but now I am.

Enjoying it so far, Vaas is definitely a memorable villain, insane doesn't even begin to describe. I'm around 35% done, and can't wait to play again once I'm home from work tomorrow. I got the 360 version, because I'm an achievement addict, but I am really enjoying it, and the achievements for the most part seem easy.

spekkeh

Banned
Don't get the story hate. It was all great and gripping. Only the boss(?) fights sucked. Really anti climatic and silly. The ending was kinda lacklustre but I liked it. Who on earth would choose
Citra
?

Noone, and that's more or less the main reason for the story hate. The choice for
Citra
throughout the game made no sense.

I bought this game for 40 buck with a 'meh, I'll enjoy it for 40' attitude about it but this is one of the best games of the year easily, it's so good.

Can you not copy your save file into multiple slots though?

SJRB

Gold Member
I bought this game for 40 buck with a 'meh, I'll enjoy it for 40' attitude about it but this is one of the best games of the year easily, it's so good.

Can you not copy your save file into multiple slots though?

You can't, it's all on one save file.

Majanew

Banned
Just rented the 360 version from Redbox and tried to play.

The frame-rate and screen-tearing is literally bothering my eyes. I'm not going to be able to play this on 360. The hell were they thinking? It's terrible.

Just rented the 360 version from Redbox and tried to play.

The frame-rate and screen-tearing is literally bothering my eyes. I'm not going to be able to play this on 360. The hell were they thinking? It's terrible.

I think there's something wrong with the disc you got or your setup, I think most people aren't having the same issues on 360

Majanew

Banned
I think there's something wrong with the disc you got or your setup, I think most people aren't having the same issues on 360

No, they're just accepting it. Looking at Digital Foundry, the game is just garbage on consoles in the frame-rate/screen-tear dept. The frame-rate creates headache-inducing judder, blur. Then the screen starts to tear all over the place.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm actually having quite a bit of fun with this game. I bumped down most of the graphics settings to medium (for 60FPS) and the visuals are still quite stunning. Exploration is fun, especially when it involves hang gliding over vast quantities of land.

My only major complaints are the focus on killing/looting/crafting to upgrade anything. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy hunting, but it almost feels like grindy MMO game design. Go to an area, murder stuff repeatedly until you've collected enough items to upgrade your gear. The excess of junk loot is a drag, too, I've already grown tired of purging my inventory.

Also, it's desperately in need of a hardcore mode. I enabled the highest difficulty and disabled all of the assists like the reticule and autotagging and it's still super easy. I miss the tension of FC2.

Still, I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. Wish I was playing it right now.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Maybe someone here can help, installed Windows 8 and Farcry 3 (steam) no longer starts, it's FC3 Autopatcher crashes on start-up. Everything is up-to-date as far as I can tell, any ideas?

Edit: ok that was uneventful. Solved it by re-downloading/installing the game. Apparently restoring from a Win7 created steam backup for this game isn't working.

Seance

Banned
Uh, I'm getting some kind of auto save bug where the autosave is never completing, the logo is just appearing on screen and never going away. If a quit and reload the save the game will crash. :(

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just finished it.

Man after seeing those flashback scenes I wish there was a sidequest to put a knife into Doug the DJ. Kind of interesting how that character changed from being Jason's BFF in early versions of the game to the dick who lures clueless rich people to the island.

So in the "bad" ending you find out Citra was just using you to be her baby daddy and intends to murder you after doing the deed? I guess that's why she takes the knife for him in the "good" ending but why does she tell Jason she loves him? Wut?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You can theoretically come across a situation like that where an animal looks at you.

It's a real looker on PC, dunno about 360. Probably an enhanced UbiBullShot.

Loxley

Finished the campaign last night, I decided to
save my friends instead of going with Citra
. After the subsequent cutscene I went online and looked up what happens of you
choose Citra. Yeah....really glad I didn't. What a bitch (and a terrible ending).

Top Bottom