• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You get signature weapons for getting collectibles.

Awesome!

That seems like a shitload of extra weapons then. Glad I've got more to look forward to though, the weapons in this game are really cool. The sounds and the way they handle are great.

krioto

Loving this game so far. The open world environment and different options available for kills etc is what really makes the game shine.

The story is great - I'm assuming it's satire, and will continue to do so, as it's so generically ridiculous that it has to be.

Love the bow.

TTG

Finally finished! Got all the outposts and towers too, they were fantastic. I thought there would be a little more to the ending:
There were what, 4 missions from the point of no return? They went by really quickly. I don't like the QTE, didn't even get to use any of my cool invincibility and one hit kill potions. I thought after they flew back to the first island there would be a bit more. If the choice was to simply stay and watch the bro crew leave, I would have picked for Jason to stay. But slitting throats was going too far.

Also, the ending music is awesome. Also, giant turtles are awesome, marine and land. Also, the game is awesome. It's clumsy and self destructing in the way it locks functionality behind the XP and crafting systems. On top of that, it has a tendency to undo some of its open world nature because it assumes(like most games do now) that the person playing is the absolute lowest common denominator. I almost failed a mission because upon exiting the area, like I was explicitly instructed to, I exited on the wrong side. Not where the yellow dot(another example of the shitty HUD) was, yea.

There are other complaints, but the overriding feeling is this: The core mechanics are very well executed. That's actually understating it. Far Cry 3's gameplay is the best of any open world game I've played. There. The shooting, stealth and melee, controls(vehicle and on foot). Enemy and animal variety, all that stuff. The caveat is that all 3 of the STALKER games are in my backlog, but that's where it stands at the moment. Anyway, the world is fun and vibrant and it inspires exploration, unlike a lot of big budget open world games that are entirely about visuals(I'm looking at you Assassin's Creed and Rockstar). For GOTY of 2012, XCOM is 1 and Far Cry 3 is the runner up, it's that good. Now, I'm gonna go back for some of those Rakyat trials.

Sullichin

Got this a couple of days ago and I've been playing it a lot. Great game, will be on my GOTY list for sure. It's outstandingly beautiful. I can't believe an open world game looks this good. On ultra settings (no MSAA) I can only get 30fps locked (or 40-60fps with insufferable stutter, so screw that), but the movement feels very fluid and the image quality is exceptional, nary a jagged edge even without MSAA. I do have a strange problem though, when I first start the game it's stuck at 20fps until I toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode and then back to fullscreen. Also, doing this messes up the mini map in the HUD, stretching it or making it very small.

I think the pacing is pretty perfect. I'm a couple of missions in on the second island, and I've been pretty much just doing what I feel like, doing a few story missions in a row and liberating the outposts on the way, etc. I haven't been bored yet - but I kind of came close during the Buck set of story missions. I actually enjoy climbing the radio towers, there's a pretty impressive illusion of height. Then I zipline down to do a medical supply race, which have been pretty easy but are incredibly fun. The driving in this game is more immersive than any racing game I've played... careening off a massive cliff in a buggy, slamming into a cave wall and bailing out before it explodes, setting the nearby jungle on fire... yeah, that's a pretty fun way to get a few hundred meters closer to my mission objective!

I don't think the loot system is too great though. I always have more than enough money, so I don't really care about opening up all of the loot chests. I always have more than enough money because the guns quickly become free. So the only thing to buy are attachments, paint jobs, ammo, medicine syringes and body armor. I guess there's the signature weapons too, sounds like I have a lot of those to unlock. I also haven't really felt the need to make any syringes besides medicine, although I haven't done any of the hunter quests yet.

Honestly my biggest complaint isn't with the game itself, but the fact that I have to look at the stupid, useless UPlay Wall every time I press start. I'm actually insulted by it. Great, I can compare time trials or something with the 0 other people on my Ubisoft friends list. And see helpful news headlines from the first of October telling me to sign up for UPlay or Like the game on facebook. Fuck that. Is there a way to mod it out?

bizatch

is it possible to look around in vehicles? I see that in the menu it says you just move the mouse, but nothing happens when i do that

edit: looks like I had the gamepad, and not keyboard and mouse, selected under the control options. strange that everything else worked, but im glad its fixed now.

TTG

I guess there's the signature weapons too, sounds like I have a lot of those to unlock.

Definitely do that. Get 6 WWII letters to unlock the Japanese Tanto, one hit kills with melee are nice. Signature weapons are also the best stealth weapons in the game. And, it doesn't matter if you already have the second island unlocked, but I had the 50 cal sniper a good half dozen hours before it became available as a regular weapon and I kept it for the rest of the game. Can't beat that thing, heavies go down in 1 shot, sends splinters off debris where it hits, great. Damage, accuracy and range maxed.

Pooya

glad this Uncharted arc is over..

Definitely prefer clearing outposts and finding radio towers and all the random stuff that happens in between more than the story missions.

ryz

Finally finished the game. And now i'm in a love-hate relationship with Far Cry 3..

There were some things i loved:
- Most core mechanics were very well executed and refined
- The emotional scene in Dr. Earnhardt house (when you first meet Daisy), in fact, most of the cut scenes were presented really good.
- The wildlife was really diverse and hunting was fun (for a few hours)
- Even though i'm German, i really liked Sam and his crazy attitude

But also a few things i *really* hated:

- Even though sneaking is improved compared to FC2, it still is broken: Enemies seem to magically know my *exact* position after i fire at them (50% of the time, always when i miss), even though i used a silenced sniper rifle in the middle of thick foliage 100m away
- Jason Brody and his friends: Jason's "transformation" just isn't believable, because he's so unlikable
- The "Burning Weed" mission with Dupstep and witty remarks from Jason ALL THE TIME! God, this made me cringe and angry at the same time.
- Those totally unfunny and bland innuendos after every conversation, like "His name is Buck and he likes to...", "Use the force!" or hundred other really bad one liners
- "Press X to kill Boss" QTE
-
After Vaas' death i had to motivate myself to keep playing - also, the second island felt like a drag

Generally the game felt sometimes like it's made for the 16 year old target audience of Call of Duty/Shovelware players. Even after reading the Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview with Far Cry 3's writer Jeffrey Yohalem, i have a difficult time believing him that everything was just satire.

TTG

Generally the game felt sometimes like it's made for the 16 year old target audience of Call of Duty/Shovelware players. Even after reading the Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview with Far Cry 3's writer Jeffrey Yohalem, i have a difficult time believing him that everything was just satire.

Thanks for the link, it's an interesting interview. The writer's intent, an attempt at satire, feels much like the Alice in Wonderland quotes did. A confused, tacked on attempt to allude to some greater, profound meaning. Jason's line at the end is some metaphor for the game industry? The Buck/Keith stuff, commentary on female exploitation in games? Riiiight. You're so ingenious master writer, now that you've translated "Rakyat" for me, it all makes perfect sense. The veil has been lifted from my eyes! Why didn't I see earlier that stealing relics and cash from places of worship on the island to satiate my thirst for better weapons and abilities was a mastermind's ploy to expose these ridiculous videogame tropes? This incongruous relationship between gameplay and story that you so cleverly throw in my face rather than try to artificially iron out.

Let's not pretend this is something it's not.

Sullichin

Definitely do that. Get 6 WWII letters to unlock the Japanese Tanto, one hit kills with melee are nice. Signature weapons are also the best stealth weapons in the game. And, it doesn't matter if you already have the second island unlocked, but I had the 50 cal sniper a good half dozen hours before it became available as a regular weapon and I kept it for the rest of the game. Can't beat that thing, heavies go down in 1 shot, sends splinters off debris where it hits, great. Damage, accuracy and range maxed.
Following your advice, I bought one treasure map so I could get up to 20 relics, and this sniper rifle is awesome.

I assume I'm near the very end of the game, but I cannot for the life of me complete this boss QTE sequence. What the fuck am I doing wrong. I'm hitting the buttons. Tried it with the controller and kb&m. I'm so sick of watching the conversation before this dumb fight. I really love this game but i hope the trend of "immersive" QTE fights dies soon.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Playing on the PC in glorious 1080P @ 60fps!

Few quick questions:

1. When or how can I hold more than one gun?
2. Does the bow count as a gun?
3. My wallet is too small, I have to go get pig skin. Does that mean boar hunting?
4. What is the best thing to do fist? I have been going with the story and picking up a few side quests and radio towers as I go.
5. I also have banked some of my points, beyond the health and first aid, most of the starter skills look limited use, any pointers?

Sullichin

Few quick questions:

3. My wallet is too small, I have to go get pig skin. Does that mean boar hunting?
4. What is the best thing to do fist? I have been going with the story and picking up a few side quests and radio towers as I go.
5. I also have banked some of my points, beyond the health and first aid, most of the starter skills look limited use, any pointers?

1. You have to craft another holster, in the crafting menu it will tell you what animal skins you need. You can eventually carry up to 4
2. Yes. I'm disappointed by the bow, it always seems like a better option to have a gun there
3. Yes, and then you'll need other animal skins for bigger wallets
4. I just do what I feel like so I don't get burnt out on doing any particular activity for too long
5. I've routinely banked between 2-5 of my skill points until better options were available, no big deal. Many of the good ones are locked behind story missions or gameplay requirements.

Rufus

Thanks for the link, it's an interesting interview. The writer's intent, an attempt at satire, feels much like the Alice in Wonderland quotes did. A confused, tacked on attempt to allude to some greater, profound meaning. Jason's line at the end is some metaphor for the game industry? The Buck/Keith stuff, commentary on female exploitation in games? Riiiight. You're so ingenious master writer, now that you've translated "Rakyat" for me, it all makes perfect sense. The veil has been lifted from my eyes! Why didn't I see earlier that stealing relics and cash from places of worship on the island to satiate my thirst for better weapons and abilities was a mastermind's ploy to expose these ridiculous videogame tropes? This incongruous relationship between gameplay and story that you so cleverly throw in my face rather than try to artificially iron out.

Let's not pretend this is something it's not.
That interview gave off a much more convincing air of satire than the game ever did.

I assume I'm near the very end of the game, but I cannot for the life of me complete this boss QTE sequence. What the fuck am I doing wrong. I'm hitting the buttons. Tried it with the controller and kb&m. I'm so sick of watching the conversation before this dumb fight. I really love this game but i hope the trend of "immersive" QTE fights dies soon.
Some buttons it wants mashed, others you just press once. That's the only thing I can think of that you might be doing wrong.

Sullichin

That interview gave off a much more convincing air of satire than the game ever did.

Some buttons it wants mashed, others you just press once. That's the only thing I can think of that you might be doing wrong.

I'm supposed to mash A, then press LT, then press RT. Every time I mess up somehow pressing RT, I must be timing it wrong, but it's really annoying to have to watch/play through it again every time. I'll try it again later. It's silly how the actual game is pretty easy (too easy actually on normal mode) and now i'm stuck at a stupid QTE.

Rufus

Could be one of those things you get right immediately if you wait until the next day. I hear you about having to re-watch a bunch of crap every try. That drives me more insane than actually having to do it again.

theytookourjobz

What are some good abilities to unlock? I've got a few of the health and healing upgrades and sliding but I've got like 14 more skills points collecting dust. A few of the takedown perks sound cool but I rarely ever do takedowns as I prefer sniping.

TTG

Few quick questions:

1. There are 2 things you need to hunt for, unlocking holsters for weapons and a big enough wallet to carry 6k in cash. You will probably also want to hunt for bigger munition pouches and syringe kits, but that is secondary. I don't like killing animals, especially ones so beautiful and potentially useful to you(in case of predators), so I just did that.

2. Yea. I kept it around for a while too. It's silent and is a one hit kill for a lot of enemies. On the downside, you can't really tell how far your arrows go, so gauging distance/arch on the shot is hard.

3. No, it means a pig.

4. I dunno. Don't go out of your way to take down ALL the outposts from the start, that's for sure. A lot of really good abilities that make the stealth and melee really dynamic are hard locked, tied to story progression. I've talked about this too many times at this point, but Brody is intentionally hobbled, in a really bad and self destructive way at the start. FC3 was hell bent on making the XP system matter or something, there's stuff taken away at the early stage and that sucks. Read my little guide below.

What are some good abilities to unlock? I've got a few of the health and healing upgrades and sliding but I've got like 14 more skills points collecting dust. A few of the takedown perks sound cool but I rarely ever do takedowns as I prefer sniping.

Health is the obvious one, but what you want are ALL OF THE TAKEDOWN PERKS. I can't stress this enough, the melee and stealth in this game is as good as it gets. It's satisfying and doesn't get old for the duration of this relatively long shooter. The melee moves and alarm states of the enemies put to shame a lot of stealth specific games, so:

1. Fast crouch
2. Dragging enemy's corpse after take down. Works great for snipers as their bodies will be discovered quickly and they're the people to take out early in an encounter.
3. Chain take downs. This is really where it takes off, the ability to combo melee kills. You can chain kills together as long as you're in range for a lunge. And it still works if you're discovered, just make sure you kill them before they kill you.
4. Knife throw while in a takedown. Everyone carries a knife on them, so this works very well. Pivot around the dude you're stabbing until you see another enemy, throw his knife at him, awesome.
5. Death from above, you'd be surprised how often this works. Then, there will be that moment when you detach from a zipline early and stab a dude as you land.

There is some other stuff that's more late game or very situational. Get those too, but this is the repertoire that you have to have. Final word about takedowns, alarm states work very well in FC3. That means you can chance it and sprint at someone the last 10 feet or so, coming from their peripheral vision. The guard will see you, but hopefully will be caught off guard and that buffer between him being alarmed and the whole camp being alerted to your presence is room enough for a dash and lunge. So, watching patrol paths and endlessly duck tailing behind some hapless guard is almost always unnecessary.

Sullichin

Could be one of those things you get right immediately if you wait until the next day. I hear you about having to re-watch a bunch of crap every try. That drives me more insane than actually having to do it again.

Yup, you were right about that. I don't know what my problem was yesterday. Still, QTE bosses aren't any fun. And that final mission.. why do I
man a turret on a helicopter
in nearly every video game I've played? It's completely lost its appeal to me.

I decided to
kill my friends because I didn't like them anyway and I thought that would be more interesting. Also, I tend to go with the "good" endings of games so I decided to do something different this time. I was rewarded with another psuedo-sex scene with Citra and then getting stabbed to death.. but I'm still alive on the island. Whatever.
I'm gonna go ahead and not call the story any smart satire or anything like that.. I just thought it was dumb :p That's fine though, I really liked some of the characters, and I'm not playing for the story.

Overall I thought this was an excellent game. It's easy to find things "wrong" with it but the core gameplay is just incredibly fun. I'm certainly not done with the game as I've still got a ton of outposts to liberate and other side quests, and those are more fun than the story missions anyway. Particularly I thought the game handled stealth incredibly well. While I wasn't the biggest fan of the story missions that *forced* stealth upon me, I was impressed with how seamlessly it integrated into the action. It never felt cheap when an enemy or camp discovered me (except for their sudden precision aim and awareness of my exact location, but that's to be expected really), and there's so many ways to take out camps with combinations of run&gun and stealth that it never got stale. In fact, I still haven't liberated any camps without being seen at all, but I'm sure I have a few easy ones left I can do so I can get the fast crouch perk.

It would be amazing if the next game had some character customization and a better loot system, for sure.

TTG

In fact, I still haven't liberated any camps without being seen at all, but I'm sure I have a few easy ones left I can do so I can get the fast crouch perk.

Find a tiger in a cage. That was one strange outpost "liberation". Shoot at the bamboo cage a couple of times with a silenced weapon, watch the tiger tear EVERYONE apart.

Dennis

Banned
Holy fuck at the
burn the weed with the flamethrower
mission.

Awesome awesome music and atmosphere in that part.

legacyzero

Banned
Why are these dumbshits keeping caged animals anyway

You never wanted a pet tiger/bear/cougar/sarahjessicaparker?

I never want to play another stealth game again if it doesn't have some sort of Fast Crouch ability.

TTG

I'd be something if they were at least doing douchey pirate things like prize fighting with them or something, but they're just... kind of... there

Didn't you read the interview? It's all a metaphor, man. Cassowary, translated from the original, means "to implement mechanics regardless of continuity". And so, the conveniently placed cages, made of bamboo that will explode outward no matter what side you hit it from, or with what, is an exaggeration of that concept! Satire, modern art... *poof* magic.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone considering collecting all the relics? I would like to get a 100% save file for this game, but after finished all of the side quests/hunts/assassinations/supply runs on the (very minor spoiler)
first island
I'm starting to feel the burnout.

Pooya

lol boss fights, that was underwhelming, sigh. I'm not sure what developers are thinking sometimes.

lol at the crying GF scene, lol at Citra lol at everything, lol at the spy dude

The story here is almost as bad/good? as Just Cause 2. The difference is JC2 is completely self aware parody from the beginning to the end but FC3 starts somewhat really serious and violent scenes are really supposed to be effective and serious and they try very hard in those emotional scenes at first then all the ridiculous things happen outside, it's really bizarre overall. It becomes a comedy in later part.

Jason and all of it's "awesome, bro" "that was so cool" whatever, so overdone. It's like laugh track in sitcoms, <Insert you're now supposed to feel cool here>,

on the bright side the gameplay and doing stuff in the world and upgrading your gear are actually fun and addicting, it's definitely fun to play.

SJRB

Gold Member
lol boss fights, that was underwhelming, sigh. I'm not sure what developers are thinking sometimes.

lol at the crying GF scene, lol at Citra lol at everything, lol at the spy dude

The story here is almost as bad/good? as Just Cause 2. The difference is JC2 is completely self aware parody from the beginning to the end but FC3 starts somewhat really serious and violent scenes are really supposed to be effective and serious and they try very hard in those emotional scenes at first then all the ridiculous things happen outside, it's really bizarre overall. It becomes a comedy in later part.

Jason and all of it's "awesome, bro" "that was so cool" whatever, so overdone. It's like laugh track in sitcoms, <Insert you're now supposed to feel cool here>,

on the bright side the gameplay and doing stuff in the world and upgrading your gear are actually fun and addicting, it's definitely fun to play.

It's hit and miss for sure, but overall probably the biggest missed oppertunity in recent gaming storytelling.

Infinite potential down the drain in favor of run-of-the-mill typical pseudo-parody story. It works, don't get me wrong. But it's so, so simple.

It could have been so much better, and the biggest problem is that the previews and trailers made it look like they nailed "it". Most unfortunate.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
my uplay account was hacked last night. Great job on allowing people to change information without any sort of confirmation. Arg

iNvid02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTL9kzcUuvA
sheds some light on why vaas was never utilised fully and always felt like the guy on the side - you dun goofed ubi, but it could have been a lot worse, no vaas lol

completely done with the game now as there is nothing left to do and no fun in just exploring anymore, gallery of my screenshots - beautiful game

screenshot0000kkzx4.png
screenshot0001wzql3.png
screenshot0007mougk.png
screenshot00003ae4z.png

farcry320121202084458jjdt1.png
screenshot0008pwz9a.png
screenshot00013pbvl.png
screenshot0000axjez.png

screenshot0006crjyd.png
screenshot0001s4ky2.png
farcry3d3d11201212031mnbxe.png
farcry3d3d11201212031euyvc.png

farcry3d3d11201212042neuh8.png
farcry3d3d11201212042eyqls.png
farcry3d3d112012120421yypd.png
farcry3d3d11201212042n8lll.png

Sober

Started and played for a few hours, for the most part it is pretty fun, but I still think FC2 is still tops for me. Few questions though:

-Why don't the starter weapons have attachments? Or why do some only have 1 while others have 2? Ironic the AK47 doesn't let you use attachments when there is a rail right there on the receiver.

-Is there any autosave in the game, at least out in the open world? Before I found out there was a hidden quicksave button, I died and lost a bit of progress. There are checkpoints in story missions but that's all I could find.

The Ak47 has attachments in multiplayer, I think, hence the rail.

I just made it to the south island. I've decided that Jason's psychosis is going to take the form of Flying-Squirrel Man.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
1. You have to craft another holster, in the crafting menu it will tell you what animal skins you need. You can eventually carry up to 4
2. Yes. I'm disappointed by the bow, it always seems like a better option to have a gun there
3. Yes, and then you'll need other animal skins for bigger wallets
4. I just do what I feel like so I don't get burnt out on doing any particular activity for too long
5. I've routinely banked between 2-5 of my skill points until better options were available, no big deal. Many of the good ones are locked behind story missions or gameplay requirements.

Thanks for the info. I went on a bunch of hunting last night and now can hold three guns, $4k, tons of ammo (golden tiger was a bitch) and lots more. I find I like the bow, the only way I can kill silently from a distance.

eznark

Banned
I'm at the point of no return. How much main story gameplay is left after this? Trying to figure out if I have time to knock it out before football.

TTG

Will signature weapons ever be free?

Wonder if I should be spending my money on them lol

No and yes you should. They offer an appreciable advantage and they're about the only thing in the game that you could spend money on, besides maps I suppose.

spirity

Some form of robust modding kit for this game would be glorious. That's not to take anything away from the base game, which I really enjoy. Farcry nexus has a few things, but I'd love to see more.

Pooya

was there anything after the credits? I skipped it.

endig stuff

just watched Citra's ending on youtube too, WTF was that, lolol. I imagine people picking that would be pretty bummed

SJRB

Gold Member
was there anything after the credits? I skipped it.

endig stuff

just watched Citra's ending on youtube too, WTF was that, lolol. I imagine people picking that would be pretty bummed

Regardless of the ending itself, EVERYONE is bummed when getting a
1-minute
ending "cutscene" after a 30-hour game.

spirity

So I've bound my weapon switch to my mouse wheel. But when I switch weapons, it also changes grenade with molotov. But I haven't bound those two to the mouse wheel. Anyone else get this?

spekkeh

Banned
I liked this game while playing, but for all the stuff they put in there it's one of the shallowest games I played in recent memory. Michael Bay stuff. It goes down well but I'm starting to already forget what happened. If that writer guy was serious that it was supposed to be a satire (and not just something he made up to feel less embarassed) then I hope for him he got called back by Ubisoft bosses, otherwise he's done a pretty poor job at it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I liked this game while playing, but for all the stuff they put in there it's one of the shallowest games I played in recent memory. Michael Bay stuff. It goes down well but I'm starting to already forget what happened. If that writer guy was serious that it was supposed to be a satire (and not just something he made up to feel less embarassed) then I hope for him he got called back by Ubisoft bosses, otherwise he's done a pretty poor job at it.
Its a video game. Of course the story is gonna be stupid.

Rufus

Its a video game. Of course the story is gonna be stupid.
Well, maybe if we came to expect a higher base line it wouldn't be that way (at least of those games that purport to tell a story worth paying attention to). The game's writer certainly sounds like he wanted it to be more than just another dumb video game story.

spirity

I'm perfectly satisfied with the story. I haven't finished the game yet, but the story, while daft in places, was never a concern for me in Far Cry. Gunplay and world was my concerns, and they've done a fine job addressing them and put in a stack of stuff for me to do.

I started playing Far Cry 3 expecting an open world shooter with stealth elements, and that's exactly what I got. I don't care about the story, or character arcs or whathaveyou. Those are features generally found in other genres, and if I want them I'll go to those genres. A game like Far Cry is fine without them, as long as its strong in more necessary areas. Of course it would be nice to have a great story too, but the fact that this game doesn't have it is no loss.

Top Bottom