• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

There are dingos, komodo dragons and cassowaries on the island, which confuses me. Dingos and cassowaries are Australian, komodo dragons are Indonesian. And everyone has a New Zealand accent.

So maybe there's a mysterious island in the middle of the ocean between Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand. New Zealanders came and took over, while Australia and Indonesia dumped crates of animals on it.

Maybe it's set on Sandy Island!

TEH-CJ

Banned
eh the pics didn't turn out too well..

fQUjY.jpg

HleiQ.jpg

i72Ed.jpg

Kx8lH.jpg

5Rudg.jpg

Killer

Banned
I spent about 4 hours with the game. All I can say it's RDR of this year. Hunting and side quests are as much fun as the main quests. I mean I spent about an hour playing poker and I'm having a blast. Totally a GOTY material here.

I'll try to write more impressions later on and see if it holds up all way through. So far, im very impressed.

Impressions:
  • You know how everyone hated the respawning enemies in Far Cry 2? It's exponentially worse in this game. Holy shit. While you can now take over outposts and stop enemies respawning there, the game has compensated by making infinite respawning roaming jeeps. It's insane. It's terrible. At least when assaulting areas in FC2 you got to be smart about it and have a little fun by taking advantage of terrain and buildings. Now, every 1-2 minutes, I'm attacked by a jeep patrol on the road. And by the time I kill them, assuming I'm going for stealth kills or want to loot their bodies or do some hunting / gathering, by the time that happens, more jeeps have appeared. I had reached a beach crossing as I was going to an objective, and two jeeps passed by as I was hiding in the bushes. I sneak past after they've gone, and then I get hit by some roaming foot patrols. I kill those guys, start walking, then a jeep shows up. I kill those two dudes, start moving, another jeep shows up. I kill those two dudes. I start moving, notice some guys in the distance, and see I'm close to a jeep that has a gun on the back. I jump on the gun, shoot down the two foot guys, and holy shit two more jeeps show up. I wasn't even near a plot area or anything, just on my way to it. I kill those two jeeps, and just fucking sprint. Along the way I notice some guys who had been taken hostage. I kill their captors, and start running towards them. Midway through, I look behind me to make sure there's no more enemies.

Damnit, I was going to pre-order it until I read this. Has it happened anymore?

Sidzed2

Playing on PS3... Game looks good when still, but the framerate is fairly sloppy and the aiming controls just don't feel quite right to me.

Only 30 minutes in - obviously going to persevere and get into the swing of things.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Playing on PS3... Game looks good when still, but the framerate is fairly sloppy and the aiming controls just don't feel quite right to me.

Only 30 minutes in - obviously going to persevere and get into the swing of things.

unless you post a video, from everything i have seen both HD twins are the same and locked at 30fps. would like to see GAF video of GAF members saying its less than 30 fps.

Sidzed2

unless you post a video, from everything i have seen both HD twins are the same and locked at 30fps. would like to see GAF video of GAF members saying its less than 30 fps.

Well I am not going to post a video - I just giving you my honest opinion, and you can either take it or leave it. My view is that the game is definitely not running at a consistent 30fps. I've got nothing to prove, and nothing to gain by deliberately deceiving you.

Ledsen

I would have a very hard time believing it runs at a locked 30 fps on console. I don't think I've ever seen an open world console game that didn't have framedrops, and certainly not one as pretty as this one.

NBtoaster

I've had no bad experiences with jeeps, there's been a reasonable amount of bad guys. Just make sure you take out the outpost in the region as it greatly reduces the amount of pirates around.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Well I am not going to post a video - I just giving you my honest opinion, and you can either take it or leave it. My view is that the game is definitely not running at a consistent 30fps. I've got nothing to prove, and nothing to gain by deliberately deceiving you.

Not saying your opinion is wrong, just saying based off the the videos within the last week posted by game websites shows parity between the two.

i just wanted to see what your seeing on your end so we get an idea of bad fps. thats all :)

Thing is, frame rate fluctuation is incredibly noticeable when you're inputting controls.

I doubt the ps3 and 360 version are anymore different than the Assasins creed on ps3 and 360. Considering its the exact same studio, and lets not forget. E3 demo was on a ps3 dev kit.
And from what i've seen of comparison videos out now. They have parity.

Feature

Banned
I can confirm that when driving to the first camp (2nd mission or so) for about 500 meters I came across 2 enemy jeeps who just ignored our jeeps filled with people just about to murder everyone in their camp.

elfinke

So I'm guessing that far cry 3 is available on green man gaming, but not available in australia?

That's what I've gathered from around the webs too. Damn nuisance it is, as it seems Steam is the only place I can get it digitally?

I'M NOT USED TO PAYING >$50
$40
FOR GAMES!

mxgt

Banned
I just got attacked by a swarm of Komodo dragons at night, was pretty freaky. Could hear them hissing but couldn't see them.

This game

the jeeps roll around the areas they control, they become a rarity in areas that you take over

Pretty much this. I have no issues whatsoever with Jeeps. I see them occasionally but half the time they are filled with friendliest so?! When I do see an enemy jeep I usually can hear it coming and by the time it gets to me I either have c4 ready or hide in a bush and just avoid them. No biggie.

Linius

the jeeps roll around the areas they control, they become a rarity in areas that you take over

I'm glad they chose for this.

Also, I did a wanted dead quest. And in the middle of raiding some dude's farm my buddies arrived in a jeep and killed two of the guys on the farm :p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How are you supposed to take on Sharks ? Melee ? or Bows ? I don't think guns would work underwater.

Torraz

The totalbiscuit and giant bomb videos looked pretty fun. Far cry 1 was enjoyable until a certain point, and I never played Far Cry 2.

Is this worth it at 35 euros from gmg?

How are you supposed to take on Sharks ? Melee ? or Bows ? I don't think guns would work underwater.

According to the GB video you can engage them in a QTE (and skin them) underwater.

NBtoaster

First impressions of multiplayer on pc: it's terrible.

First, matches don't seem to start at all if the lobby has more than 6 players (simply says its waiting for 1 more player in spite of how many players arrive). Second, it's totally P2P, host migration and all, and the match cancels itself if too many players leave (which is easy with 6 players and seemingly no join in progress).

And, I have a bow with flaming arrows from the Insane edition, which should be awesome. But the game otherwise uses CODs overpowered weapons so I got mowed down everytime I tried to fire it.

Map editor seems wasted on a game like this..

Single player so far seems awesome but this isn't, I enjoyed Far Cry 2's multiplayer too; big maps with vehicles and no almost-instant kills with standard weapons..

There are dingos, komodo dragons and cassowaries on the island, which confuses me. Dingos and cassowaries are Australian, komodo dragons are Indonesian. And everyone has a New Zealand accent.

So maybe there's a mysterious island in the middle of the ocean between Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand. New Zealanders came and took over, while Australia and Indonesia dumped crates of animals on it.

Yeah, it seems a mix of all those pacific island SE Asian countries. There's maori ("kia ora" is hello) and Indonesian ("Rakyat" is people, "Selemat tengah hari" is good day, "laba-laba" is spider) being spoken.

banjoted

Played this on PS3 for about an hour or so last night and was frankly alarmed by the frame rate and tearing. I'm not that fussy with that sort of thing normally but this was severe. Found little from a web search so had wondered if it was just me. The servers won't working last night so I'm hoping it's something to do with that. If not, I may well have to get the PC version instead sadly.

Kritz

Banned
Here's a quick video of the disappearing objects issue I reported earlier.

I'll also have FRAPS open to see if I can record some of the jeep chaos. At the least, it hasn't been as insane as my example since then. Maybe since I've captured a few areas now.

SJRB

Gold Member
In all fairness, it IS pretty silly that this entire tribe of people hails me as the king because I escaped some nutjob's camp. That introduction should've taken more time, the very first mission everyone is basically "hey Jason what's up bro. You're an awesome warrior" and I'm like "what the fuck is going on".

We should have gotten two or three missions where I prove my worth.

But still, this game is so awesome, wow. Komodos are the scariest things ever though, jesus. Game turns into some straight up first person horror game when you're in the jungle and have a pack of these things chasing you.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there any reason to keep those poker cards and chips?

Achievement for a full deck of cards or something?

Anyone?

You can play a game of poker at several places on the island, my best guess is collecting the cards will improve your chances. Can you even sell them? I don't recall seeing them on the sell items list, aren't they just collectibles?

Lyonaz

The jeep spawns are only frequent in the areas which are pirate controlled. It's colored red on your map when you press M.

Also lol at getting surprise attacked by wildlife predators when you're sneaking up on pirates. I got ambushed by a leopard while setting up mines, kicked the leopard off me, shot it, got noticed by patrolling jeep, shot the driver while he was coming at me and got run over by the jeep. :(
And unleashing predators on pirates is fun, saw a group on a beach with a caged bear, I shot the cage, bear went on a rampage, threw in grenades too because I can and smiled all the way looting their corpses and skinning the Asian Black Bear.

GOTY!

After playing AC3 recently, I saw a cow in Far Cry 3 and thought "Hey this is also an Ubisoft game, maybe I can pet animals just like in AC3. Let me go and tell him what a good boy he is."
Fucking cow killed me in two hits.

LegoArmo

This is odd. Why can I not find Far Cry 3 on Steam? I'm in the UK.
Fuck it. Bought on GMG. Probably cheaper anyway.

Like Assassin's Creed III, it's not on Steam, some suggest it's some kind of exclusivity deal with GAME.

I ended up getting the Deluxe Edition of both from GMG for £34 each. I don't know if you're supposed to be able to use 2 codes at once, but it went through.

hitoshi

I am the only one who is really bothered by the sound compression they've used in the X360 version? I don't want to exaggregate the issue, but I don't think I have ever heard so bad sounds like this since the Dreamcast era. The cinematic dialogue and the music is fine, but everything else, especially the NPC lines and the animal sounds are awful. They sound like they have been encoded using a 96kpbs bitrate. Everything is muffled, my mono Beatles collection sounds like this. Not to mention, at the beginning of the game, when you are in a car, an NPC is talking to you and music plays in the background, there is no motor sound, like the game could not handle more than a few sound channels... It's totally strange, especially seeing that the game disc is not even full, it installed around 5.6 GB of data. It's not a problem with my console or my sound system, no other game sounds like this.

Played a few hours tonight, really enjoying. The stealth is so much better than Far Cry 2.

Only problem is the game crashed a few times which is quite annoying.

Like Assassin's Creed III, it's not on Steam, some suggest it's some kind of exclusivity deal with GAME.

I ended up getting the Deluxe Edition of both from GMG for £34 each. I don't know if you're supposed to be able to use 2 codes at once, but it went through.
Yeah. Just looked at the OP. Probably get Ass III from there as well.

Frillen

Holy shit! :O

I hate meeting tigers, pumas etc. they are really agressive and scare the shit out of me!

I came to a small out outpost with three enemies and parked my jeep a few yards away. There were also two tigers in a cage. So I shot the lock to get the tigers to attack the three guys. Everything went according to plan and the tigers killed them. But stupid me didn't think about the fact that the tigers then would turn to ME. Hilarity broke out and I ended up running laps around the jeep with the two tigers hunting me down. I had just gotten the "cook grenade" perk and I took advantage of it. Cooked the grenade while still taking laps around the car. Turned around and threw the grenade under car. Had like a second to get away. BANG! Jeep explodes and kills the two tigers, and almost killing me. Had like 1/5th of the first life bar left. Phew!

Edit: The jeep spaws aren't that bad. Just drive past them, or if you're on foot, just stay out of the main road. OR just take over the nearest outpost and they should go away.

Top Bottom