• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
One thing that I thought was stupid and a bit of a slight towards their musical team was the fact that for the music volume there are only 2 levels. ON / OFF.

Wtf. I had to turn it off since it was too fucking loud and getting in the way of all the important background sounds which helps me judge whats going on in my surrounding.

Much more enjoyable of an experience without the overly dramatic music blasting anytime a hostile shows up anyways.

Though Im guessing it also kills music from radios and other things.

One thing though is that the dev team should have done a bit more AI work in the sense that the NPCs in town dont continue doing what they usually do on a sunny day in a fucking storm outside. Bet that soup doesnt taste so good anymore now that its mostly rain water eh?

Also the whole constant flood of jeeps to a location would have been a bit more believable if you would see at least one of the pirates on a radio calling for backup. I mean they have an "alarm" system in place, so its not like it would have killed them to go the slight bit of extra effort with making a radio model / reporting animation.

Do love the game though so dont take these two comments as just negativity. Far far more better than the mess that was far cry 2.

SJRB

Gold Member
I agree the audio menu is lackluster, especially compared to the million video options. The voice level is too low compared to the action and music, I have trouble understanding what is being said during cutscenes when there's also music.

nOoblet16

So I guess this game won't be up on Steam UK anytime soon.
I'd like to know if anyone outside of UK can help me get the game on steam by gifting it to me ?

Tankshell

So I guess this game won't be up on Steam UK anytime soon.
I'd like to know if anyone outside of UK can help me get the game on steam by gifting it to me ?

Kinda pointless getting it on Steam anyway... as I've heard it just launches the Uplay client rather than starting the game directly.

nOoblet16

Kinda pointless getting it on Steam anyway... as I've heard it just launches the Uplay client rather than starting the game directly.
I understand, but I'd like to have them all at one place as far as DD games are concerned.
I already hate having to have a separate client for EA games.

I am the only one who is really bothered by the sound compression they've used in the X360 version? I don't want to exaggregate the issue, but I don't think I have ever heard so bad sounds like this since the Dreamcast era. The cinematic dialogue and the music is fine, but everything else, especially the NPC lines and the animal sounds are awful. They sound like they have been encoded using a 96kpbs bitrate. Everything is muffled, my mono Beatles collection sounds like this. Not to mention, at the beginning of the game, when you are in a car, an NPC is talking to you and music plays in the background, there is no motor sound, like the game could not handle more than a few sound channels... It's totally strange, especially seeing that the game disc is not even full, it installed around 5.6 GB of data. It's not a problem with my console or my sound system, no other game sounds like this.

Jeff Gerstmann mentioned this in the Quick Look.

Does flora still move as you walk/drive past? I remember that happening in Far Cry 2 but from what I've seen it just moves through the vehicle in FC3

nOoblet16

Does flora still move as you walk/drive past? I remember that happening in Far Cry 2 but from what I've seen it just moves through the vehicle in FC3

It's actually a massive step back from FC2 (played the game at Gamescom and Eurogamer) where trees would shake from big explosions, every flora would react to you and your vehicle.

I came to a small out outpost with three enemies and parked my jeep a few yards away. There were also two tigers in a cage. So I shot the lock to get the tigers to attack the three guys. Everything went according to plan and the tigers killed them. But stupid me didn't think about the fact that the tigers then would turn to ME. Hilarity broke out and I ended up running laps around the jeep with the two tigers hunting me down. I had just gotten the "cook grenade" perk and I took advantage of it. Cooked the grenade while still taking laps around the car. Turned around and threw the grenade under car. Had like a second to get away. BANG! Jeep explodes and kills the two tigers, and almost killing me. Had like 1/5th of the first life bar left. Phew!

Edit: The jeep spaws aren't that bad. Just drive past them, or if you're on foot, just stay out of the main road. OR just take over the nearest outpost and they should go away.

Hahaha, I love small episodes like this while playing the game. They are so random.

I was on a mountain road, when I caught sight of a wolf. Naively enough I thought I'd kill it easily with my AK. After missing the wolf with a few rounds, a whole pack of them turned on me and nearby pirates heard the shooting. With barking and the sound of jeeps roaring up the hill behind me, I run back to my car, hit the gas and drive over two pirates on the way down.

All this confusion and gunfire from the pirates makes me miss a turn. I drive off a cliff, and hit a tree further down. Destroying my car (crushed frontscreen, blurred screen and blood everywhere) and most of my health. Then the whole car catches fire, including me. I get out and stop the flames on my body. Then I realize the tree and all the surrounding grass is on fire. I run like a mad man down over a beach and into the water.

Survival at it's best :p

I just love these moments i FC3.

Parakeetman

You know what the worst thing about this game is?

Uplay.

Seriously why the hell does ubi make another shitty overlay when steam already has everything there. And they wonder why people pirate their games.
Not to mention if I start in offline mode I expect Uplay to be told to shut the fuck up and stand down.
(hates Uplay if you folks have not guessed by this post)

--

On a lighter note

Hahaha, I love small episodes like this while playing the game. They are so random.

I was on a mountain road, when I caught sight of a wolf. Naively enough I thought I'd kill it easily with my AK. After missing the wolf with a few rounds, a whole pack of them turned on me and nearby pirates heard the shooting. With barking and the sound of jeeps roaring up the hill behind me, I run back to my car, hit the gas and drive over two pirates on the way down.

All this confusion and gunfire from the pirates makes me miss a turn. I drive off a cliff, and hit a tree further down. Destroying my car (crushed frontscreen, blurred screen and blood everywhere) and most of health. Then the whole car catches fire, including me. I get out and stop the flames on my body. Then I realize the tree and all the surrounding grass is on fire. I run like a mad man down over a beach and into the water.

Survival at it's best :p

I just love these moments i FC3.

Exactly, that is what makes this game great. Really is cool seeing all of the AI "interacting" with each other too without me having to lift a damned finger.

Tankshell

As a FC2 fan, it's a shame I can't really get excited about FC3... maybe when it is 75% off.

This is my current outlook as well. Little bummed out but hopefully I can still get into it like I did with FC2.

Guys like I said, it's not like the foliage is completely static, the larger plants and quite a lot of the undergrowth stuff DOES react to player movement etc. I wouldn't let it put you off buying the game anyway.

Kritz

Banned
It's worth nothing the jeep issue I bought up seems to be lessened now I've done a bit more capturing of areas. There's still issues where there are too many bad guys coming at me while I'm adventuring, but it's nothing as bad as the 6-10 jeep massacres I encountered at the start of the game.

Though things disappearing when you turn away from them is infuriating. Why even draw them in if they disappear before you reach them? Surely this'll have to be patched. It absolutely kills my immersion when shit like that happens.

This is my current outlook as well. Little bummed out but hopefully I can still get into it like I did with FC2.

You will, I've had many FC2 moments already. You just need to get yourself a decent sniper and some other good weapons and stroll off into the nature to explore. It really makes itself into it's own game outside of the main missions.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Anymore impressions of the PS3 version? Trying to decide between that and 360.

Really solid. game runs at about 25fps though, both consoles are struggling to run this game. lighting looks really pretty, no blurry port here. have a look at the pics I posted. Then again everything looks amazing on a isf calibrated panasonic gt lol

for the new page. not the best pics but gives you an idea on how good it looks on ps3

fQUjY.jpg

HleiQ.jpg

i72Ed.jpg

Kx8lH.jpg

5Rudg.jpg

Has anybody managed to beat every rank of the sniper challenge? I was curious if it was just there for money or if you got something as well.

banjoted

Anymore impressions of the PS3 version? Trying to decide between that and 360.

I'm keen to hear how the Xbox 360 version performs as I've been really disappointed with the PS3 release, from a technical perspective. Seems to run well under 30fps at all times and screen tears like mad.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Driving the jeep is a little disorienting at times, but I guess I need to get used to it. Played for 3 hours, really like the game so far.

ekim

I'm keen to hear how the Xbox 360 version performs as I've been really disappointed with the PS3 release, from a technical perspective. Seems to run well under 30fps at all times and screen tears like mad.

PLaying on 360 here.
FPS can be pretty low especially in cutscenes. But I didn't notice that much tearing at all and while not in camps or near buildings it runs around 30 FPS, I'd guess.

Darklord

Banned
The audio is too quiet in this game and some of the voices have low bit rates. Not main characters but other ones. I hate quiet audio grr!

The audio is too quiet in this game and some of the voices have low bit rates. Not main characters but other ones. I hate quiet audio grr!

I have to have full options. It seams that my surround sound system plays favorites with what it thinks should be louder. With most games I can jump into the settings and tweak it to perfection.

So are there no individual volumes in the sound options for FC3?

Killer

Banned

Unfortunately the audio in this game is lackluster. The only satisfying sound is for a gun called something 16.

Oh and Goodluck for everyone hunting a black panther!

Darklord

Banned
I have to have full options. It seams that my surround sound system plays favorites with what it thinks should be louder. With most games I can jump into the settings and tweak it to perfection.

So are there no individual volumes in the sound options for FC3?

Nope. Master and that's it. I can boost it out of the game but it makes everything too harsh.

You can play a game of poker at several places on the island, my best guess is collecting the cards will improve your chances. Can you even sell them? I don't recall seeing them on the sell items list, aren't they just collectibles?

You can sell them and they are on the item list of your lootbag and take a slot each.

SJRB

Gold Member
I was wondering - can't I just add the FC3.exe to my Steam library and launch from there? I hate having to have uPlay run in the background.

Ledsen

I was wondering - can't I just add the FC3.exe to my Steam library and launch from there? I hate having to have uPlay run in the background.

No matter where you buy it from or where you launch it from, you're always forced to use uPlay. Sorry :/

Parakeetman

The M.I.A. song sucks. Granted it fits with the whole douchey tone of the little groups escapades at the start. Guess that was the whole point of choosing that song / artist lol

Thought the off the beat Rachid Taha song Barra Barra was pretty awesome for Far Cry 2.

The FC2 trailer w/ song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkiLFUF24Jw

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
It sounds like that if you have a PC that runs recent games like Hitman Absolution or Battlefield 3 decently, it is safe to say FC3 will run decently and definitely better than the console iterations.

Really solid. game runs at about 25fps though, both consoles are struggling to run this game. lighting looks really pretty, no blurry port here. have a look at the pics I posted. Then again everything looks amazing on a isf calibrated panasonic gt lol

for the new page. not the best pics but gives you an idea on how good it looks on ps3

fQUjY.jpg

HleiQ.jpg

i72Ed.jpg

Kx8lH.jpg

5Rudg.jpg

The team who worked on FC3 really do have some amazing artists. It's so atmospheric.

Top Bottom