• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

I don't know how they do it. Each week they find a way to ratchet up the tension. I don't even expect another 90 minute episode. They filled it to the gills with content. A perspective shift to Peggy and Ed, two of the worst kidnappers you'll ever meet. What they go through is funny in an understated manner. It's believable how they act. Ed with his persistence to keep making calls, Peggy with her blind devotion to an ideal that enables the worst parts of her personlaity, and Hanzee who succombs to a near give-no-fucks attitude when he has his own realization that no one respects him. Great great plotting and character work.

I noticed the hangman in the phonebooth the first time we saw a closeup of Ed. Little did he know that the Sioux Falls hangman would be him.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I noticed the hangman in the phone booth when Ed first made the call. I figured that was so a hint that he would die, not literally become a hangman. Haha

I'm just continuously impressed by this show. 8 episodes into a 10 episode season and there hasn't been one weak episode. They've all been so stellar television. A lot of people praised Season 1, but even without seeing the last two episodes, Season 2 already stands above it.

Glad they filled in all the gaps. Usually these type of episodes aren't that great, but I was at the edge of my seat the entire time. There isn't a character in this show that I wouldn't mind getting more story from their perspective.

LQX

Holy shit. What an episode. Some of the best television I have seen in years.

If this show does not rack up some awards when that time comes you know something is wrong.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Holy shit. What an episode. Some of the best television I have seen in years.

If this show does not rack up some awards when that time comes you know something is wrong.

Yeah, I hope this ends up being an award darling. FX is pretty forgiving for shows that are critically praised. The Americans is still trucking, gets tons of love from critics but never wins awards. Always great to see quality writing, directing and acting rewarded. Every single element of this show just comes together so well.

From CM Punk on Twitter:

CVIDRkYWcAAKOgJ.jpg:large

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Terrific episode this week. Ed and Peggy are such great characters.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed to win the Best Miniseries Emmy again, as there's no real competition in the category this year.

-MD-

This is the best show airing right now, nothing even really comes close.

What an awesome season so far.

Corpsepyre

Banned
FX has been killing it with Fargo. Should get all the awards.

Was on the edge of my seat throughout.

Still don't get what came over the Indian though. Him shooting James Hetfield felt a tad bit predictable, but that's because of the camera angles they were using in that scene. What happened to this guy?!

Can't wait for the next two episodes!

cyba89

I already loved the first season but this second one is just absolutely fantastic so far. There has been no slow or weak episode and the characters are all so good.
Probably one of my favorite single seasons of a TV show ever. Too bad there are only two episodes left.

addik

God damn that was god-tier televesion.

I was on the edge of my seat, either in sticks or in terror, all throughout the episode.

I've always liked Peggy from the very beginning. Her character is a shitty one, and she's pretty aware that she's stuck in the rut. She'll do anything just to get out of her state, even covering up a murder. I love it, and I am amazed how far she has gone now.

Kirsten Dunst deserves an Emmy nod at least.

Moff

that was quite possibly the best hour of TV I have ever seen, incredible.
I knew it was gonna be great when I realized it would be an episode of ed, peggy and dodd in a cabin, but it really surpassed my expectations. I nearly died laughing when peggy started stabbing dodd.
this show is so funny and full of suspense at the same time, amazing really.

two things I didn't 100% understand:
it seems unlike his character for hank (ted danson) to leave the house and not check everyone inside first, I thought it was weird he would leave and come back with backup.

hanzee killing dodd, I saw it coming, but I really don't see the motivation, yet. especially since it took so long to get there.

two things I didn't 100% understand:
it seems unlike his character for hank (ted danson) to leave the house and not check everyone inside first, I thought it was weird he would leave and come back with backup.

hanzee killing dodd, I saw it coming, but I really don't see the motivation, yet. especially since it took so long to get there.

1. He got hit on the head. He obviously wasn't thinking straight. Even still, it is stupid writing.

2. Dodd called him a bunch of racist names while he was getting rescued. Hanzee had enough of the crap already. He shot people that only saw the Indian in him and wanted to change his haircut to look like everyone else.

Moff

2. Dodd called him a bunch of racist names while he was getting rescued. Hanzee had enough of the crap already. He shot people that only saw the Indian in him and wanted to change his haircut to look like everyone else.

that was my impression as well, that he decided it pretty much on the spot

Dennis

Banned
At first I thought Peggy was a pretty bad person like Lester from last season.

But now I think she is just somewhat crazy. I don't think she is bad - look how she rushed to cut Ed down when he was hanging.

Dennis

Banned
I Like how Hanzee's hair slipped out of the scissors at the last moment when the shooting started - symbolizing his failure to escape that life ("business-like haircut, please")

Bandit1

I hope they release an OST for this season. I need that Man of Constant Sorrow and the drumbeat from the credits last night. Pretty sure there was an OST for season 1 so hopefully we'll get one for season 2.

IronRinn

Pretty much the whole cast has been amazing.

No, really. I can't think of a bad performance.

Seriously, everyone has been so good and everyone has been given a chance to shine, even if it's in just a short scene like Bruce Campbell, for example.

I know some have had problems with this season but none of them have been big enough to me to diminish my enjoyment one bit, so far. As a whole this season is probably better than the first which I really didn't think was possible going into it.

zeitgeist

Prisoner Dodd was hilarious. What an excellent episode.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but has anyone considered this about the UFO stuff...

In this episode we saw Peggy talking to a therapist type guy asking strange questions. Do you think the Life Spring seminar is about Scientology?

The questions reminded me of The Master and the South Park episode about Scientology. I don't know much about it but it would be a funny reveal at least.

For Hanzee's motivation:

You guys don't think Floyd had Dodd killed? I feel like it goes with the running theme of Dodd's character. He wanted to run the show and didn't believe Floyd was capable. Floyd seems like she's been waiting to run the show and I think Dodd is more of a liability for her.

If the Gerhardts win the war then Floyd and Dodd were obviously gonna be at odds with each other so Floyd could just take Dodd out now.

-griffy-

Banned
Prisoner Dodd was hilarious. What an excellent episode.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but has anyone considered this about the UFO stuff...

In this episode we saw Peggy talking to a therapist type guy asking strange questions. Do you think the Life Spring seminar is about Scientology?

The questions reminded me of The Master and the South Park episode about Scientology. I don't know much about it but it would be a funny reveal at least.

Lifespring was an actual thing. It's not altogether unlike Scientology as far as controversy, albeit on a much smaller scale and without the alien stuff.

For Hanzee's motivation:

You guys don't think Floyd had Dodd killed? I feel like it goes with the running theme of Dodd's character. He wanted to run the show and didn't believe Floyd was capable. Floyd seems like she's been waiting to run the show and I think Dodd is more of a liability for her.

If the Gerhardts win the war then Floyd and Dodd were obviously gonna be at odds with each other so Floyd could just take Dodd out now.

I don't think so. Hanzee sided with Dodd over Floyd early in the season when he lied to her about the Butcher being a Kansas City hitman. He also hasn't been in contact with any of the Gerhardts since before they left to break Charlie out of prison. The main reason that Floyd would've turned on Dodd would be the attack on the Gerhardt compound as a result of the war that Dodd started (which went against Floyd's orders), and that happened while they were at the prison. Even after all that, Floyd was actively looking for Dodd trying to make sure that her remaining family was safe. If anyone was to turn on Dodd, it would be Bear, but we've seen in previous episodes that Hanzee was loyal to Dodd over Bear. As to the end of the war, Floyd already promised to turn control over to Dodd after the Kansas City situation was resolved. She wanted to guide the family through that ordeal because she thought that was best and that Dodd would be a poor leader under those circumstances (which he proved by provoking the war and getting people killed). I don't think she planned on running the family long term, and I really doubt she was willing to go to war with her son over control over the family.

Top Bottom