• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if, and I'm just spit balling here, it isn't season 2 of "Fargo", it'd be a season of " Miller's Crossing"...
IkpAMwv.png

I'm hoping the opening scene of next episode is the two inept detectives walking through the chaos that Malvo caused inside the building.

FWIW, here's a few tidbits on a potential S2 from back in January:
Writer and executive producer Noah Hawley is already planning Season 2 of the series, but says during the FX project's TCA 2014 winter press tour panel that each future season of "Fargo" will focus on a difference facet of the "small townness" and "innocence" of the town. He opted not to have it be a case-of-the-week type of show because that would make the character of Molly Solverson (newcomer Allison Tolman) deal with so much darkness that she would "be on 'Criminal Minds.'"

"I didn't find the location limiting. That's not really where I start as a storyteller," Hawley says of future seasons of "Fargo." "I think there is something really compelling about the region, and just the Coen Brothers style of storytelling, which is not plot driven. But telling a story that is both dark and comic, I don't really see an end point for me creatively."

He adds that he hopes after a season or two of "Fargo" airs, people will see "the ['Fargo'] movie now fits into that series as another true crime [story]."

Star Martin Freeman, who plays Minnesota insurance salesman Lester Nygaard, says it's too early to discuss if he would be back for a future season of the show. He tells reporters after "Fargo's" panel that he initially signed on to "Fargo" because it was short term, but he could be coaxed back for another go. Whether or not it's as Lester or as a new character (as FX CEP John Landgraf says each "Fargo" season will focus on new people in the town) is yet to be determined.

"As far as I know -- and I don't even know how Lester finishes the story, do you know what I mean? I haven't finished the episodes; I don't think [Hawley's] written all 10 episodes yet -- so I'm not even sure how it ends for him," Freeman says. "I don't know whether he's dead, alive, transgender; I don't know what's happening. So I don't know how he ends up. It's so hypothetical to kind of wonder if I would come back. If they wanted me back and the scripts were good enough, then yeah."

Landgraf says during the FX executive TCA panel, "'Fargo' is a close-end story with a beginning, middle and end."

Hawley makes a point to note that "Fargo" isn't a murder mystery, but an ensemble piece. But expect the story to have a climactic finale.

"We're heading for a big collision at the end of the thing," Hawley says.

HOLY SHIT! I just stumbled upon the best way to watch the shootout scene in fargo from last episode!
Happened upon this completely by accident. I actually glanced into a mirror and could see the show through the mirror and beyond being able to explain what happened, it appears that the mirrored windows on the Fargo building were negated by the mirror I was watching the show through and I could see Malvo through the window!
The scene looks so badass omg

Draconian

HOLY SHIT! I just stumbled upon the best way to watch the shootout scene in fargo from last episode!
Happened upon this completely by accident. I actually glanced into a mirror and could see the show through the mirror and beyond being able to explain what happened, it appears that the mirrored windows on the Fargo building were negated by the mirror I was watching the show through and I could see Malvo through the window!

Umm...I...uhh...wat

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Sounds legit!

I'm going to go out and on a limb and say that I don't believe you.

I don't think there's anything in science that would support that.

I'm going to go out and on a limb and say that I don't believe you.

I'm gonna roll my window up, then I'm going to drive away and you're gonna go home to NeoGAF. And every few years you're gonna look at this site and know that you're alive because you chose not to go down on a certain road on a certain night. That you chose to walk into the light instead of into the darkness.

Saty

I don't remember in quite a long time a tv show that is treating its viewers as total idiots as Fargo does. And Bemidjy's PD criminal incompetence has already surpassed that of 'Dexter''s Miami PD in mere seven episodes.

Let's start with that there was no logical reason for Lester to keep the hammer. Why would a person keep his murder weapon around, all still covered with evidence? It's like the writers thought 'ok, we want to pin the murder on Chaz down the line. How are we going to do that?' and the solution is a murderer keeps his murder weapon around and intact so he can later on have an idea 'lets plant the incriminating murder weapon that i had no business keeping around at my brother's'.

Do i need to wait for Molly so she can point that is whole deal screams as a set-up like no other? The PD does nothing. Run the hammer for prints - there will none of Chaz. Ask yourself, why would a killer keep the murder weapon so neatly and unwashed with the victim's blood in a firearm closet? When the prints come back negative, ask yourself why would he wipe his fingerprints and not the blood? And so on and so on. But our Bemidjy cops seems to not know about this concept called 'framing\incriminating an innocent' because not only they aren't shown doing the tests they need to do, they are in fact out celebrating cracking the case instead of bothering or caring about evidence.

What person watching this would think this shit flies? God damn it, these useless people haven't 'found' the shotgun that killed Vern even though it's right there in Lester's house which they have been through countless of times.
We continue with 2 FBI agent who somehow don't see a guy right in front of them pulling a machine gun and they go on to not hear a single freaking thing from Malvo's 3-stories massacre..Not to mention Malvo's suit is spick and span with no blood stains or splatter from his CQC activities.
No it's not funny. Maybe it would have if this whole series wasn't riddled with and based on law enforcement and other characters being complete imbeciles.

Last episdoe we had 2 hired gunmen follow Malvo in order to kill him, only to try and take him out amidst the worst storm this place have ever seen where visibility and accuracy is down the crapper. What made them choose that timing? Why didn't they keep waiting as they did all the day until Malvo enters a building\house and then surprise him and surely kill him with ease? But nope. Lets choose the worst moment to try and do that. I guess Malvo's character has to live and the writers thought it would hard to swallow him overcoming 2 guys who had the element of surprise and guns, but what they actually did was as hard to swallow and as infuriatingly moronic.

I mean just before that, after SWAT or whatever storm the house and kill Don, we hear on the police chatter them saying 'weirdest suicide by cop i've ever seen', somehow glossing over the fact that Don was taped in his place in manner that anyone with half a brain would suspect there's more to the scene and that's there probably another unaccounted for person involved in the matter.

What am i as a viewer to think other than that 'Fargo' is taking the piss and that its plot development hangs on characters acting idiotically and generally stuff not holding a drop of water?

SummitAve

Banned
The PD buffoonery is intentional. They'e characters that fall in line with all the other exaggerations of small town living. Just enjoy the show. You're watching it as if it's trying to emulate real life rather than it being clearly a TV show with surreal moments throughout.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Saty, best advice with this show is to just turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. I lost count of the weird stuff a while back but I still really like it.

Konka

Banned
I don't remember in quite a long time a tv show that is treating its viewers as total idiots as Fargo does. And Bemidjy's PD criminal incompetence has already surpassed that of 'Dexter''s Miami PD in mere seven episodes.

Let's start with that there was no logical reason for Lester to keep the hammer. Why would a person keep his murder weapon around, all still covered with evidence? It's like the writers thought 'ok, we want to pin the murder on Chaz down the line. How are we going to do that?' and the solution is a murderer keeps his murder weapon around and intact so he can later on have an idea 'lets plant the incriminating murder weapon that i had no business keeping around at my brother's'.

Do i need to wait for Molly so she can point that is whole deal screams as a set-up like no other? The PD does nothing. Run the hammer for prints - there will none of Chaz. Ask yourself, why would a killer keep the murder weapon so neatly and unwashed with the victim's blood in a firearm closet? When the prints come back negative, ask yourself why would he wipe his fingerprints and not the blood? And so on and so on. But our Bemidjy cops seems to not know about this concept called 'framing\incriminating an innocent' because not only they aren't shown doing the tests they need to do, they are in fact out celebrating cracking the case instead of bothering or caring about evidence.

What person watching this would think this shit flies? God damn it, these useless people haven't 'found' the shotgun that killed Vern even though it's right there in Lester's house which they have been through countless of times.
We continue with 2 FBI agent who somehow don't see a guy right in front of them pulling a machine gun and they go on to not hear a single freaking thing from Malvo's 3-stories massacre..Not to mention Malvo's suit is spick and span with no blood stains or splatter from his CQC activities.
No it's not funny. Maybe it would have if this whole series wasn't riddled with and based on law enforcement and other characters being complete imbeciles.

Last episdoe we had 2 hired gunmen follow Malvo in order to kill him, only to try and take him out amidst the worst storm this place have ever seen where visibility and accuracy is down the crapper. What made them choose that timing? Why didn't they keep waiting as they did all the day until Malvo enters a building\house and then surprise him and surely kill him with ease? But nope. Lets choose the worst moment to try and do that. I guess Malvo's character has to live and the writers thought it would hard to swallow him overcoming 2 guys who had the element of surprise and guns, but what they actually did was as hard to swallow and as infuriatingly moronic.

I mean just before that, after SWAT or whatever storm the house and kill Don, we hear on the police chatter them saying 'weirdest suicide by cop i've ever seen', somehow glossing over the fact that Don was taped in his place in manner that anyone with half a brain would suspect there's more to the scene and that's there probably another unaccounted for person involved in the matter.

What am i as a viewer to think other than that 'Fargo' is taking the piss and that its plot development hangs on characters acting idiotically and generally stuff not holding a drop of water?

You're way overthinking the show...

But the show is based on actual events, told exactly as they happened out of respect for the dead.

Saty

Stay, best advice with this show is to just turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. I lost count of the weird stuff a while back but I still really like it.
There's nothing much to enjoy even with the brain off. And when they continue to give focus to these stuff then i can't ignore it.
You can do surreal without turning to a joke. Hannibal for instance has it's share of things that are difficult\impossible to suspend but either it's worth it or there are other elements to show that aren't directly related to them that are enjoyable.

I have little-to-none to work with with Fargo.

I thought Malvo took the shotgun with him?

As for the fingerprints coming back negative on the hammer I'm not sure that definitively proves it was a setup. I mean yes it would be bizarre for Chaz to wipe his fingerprints but not the victims blood, but for all they know, Chaz could have been wearing gloves.

Of course this doesn't change the fact that it would still be bizarre for Chaz to even keep the weapon in the first place (from the perspective of the police), I'm sure Molly will point out how strange/absurd this all is.

It would be nice if the other police were more on the ball in asking these questions, but the chief of police's theory was that there roving bands of vagrants breaking into people's homes and that's how Lester's wife and the chief got killed.

So he's been consistently incompetent, if he were smart one minute and then dumb the next I would have a problem with that, but this ehh I can take it.

As for Mr. Wrench and Mr. Numbers attacking Malvo in the storm, I would say that while it was a disadvantage for them, it was also a disadvantage for Malvo (though he still overcame it) considering he didn't even have a gun and also at the beginning of that episode when they show the Fargo crew eating in that restaurant, the man reading the accounts mentions Mr. Wrench and Mr. Numbers and says that they've been deployed for three days, so them attacking Malvo then could simply be because they were at the end of their limit for their job.

Pullin the machine gun out in the front of the building, eh I'll give you that one, that was really bizarre.

Socreges

Banned
Classic Saty!

Although, for once, I actually agree with some of the stuff he's saying. The show is quite silly, though, and many of the characters are written to be unusually stupid/incompetent.

"My first wife was Korean. She used to spit at me when we had sex."

What a random thing to say, lol.
Her name was Georgia, right?

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

Bread

Banned
I'm kind of annoyed by how terrible this post is

I'm with saty

Malvo is the most undeserving bad guy in fiction history because all his schemes are a guaranteed clean success because he's malvo

Helmholtz

There's nothing much to enjoy even with the brain off. And when they continue to give focus to these stuff then i can't ignore it.
You can do surreal without turning to a joke. Hannibal for instance has it's share of things that are difficult\impossible to suspend but either it's worth it or there are other elements to show that aren't directly related to them that are enjoyable.

I have little-to-none to work with with Fargo.
Whoa whoa whoa. You realize Fargo's a dark comedy right? Like... it's not supposed to be taken super seriously and its ridiculousness is exaggerated for effect.
Also... how have you made it this far into the show and not turned back way earlier? The show's been pretty consistent in its 'you need to suspend your disbelief' factor for quite some time now. Are you some kind of masochist? You clearly aren't enjoying the show/don't understand what it's trying to do. I mean if watching shows that you don't enjoy is your thing then more power to you, but I don't get it.

Whoa whoa whoa. You realize Fargo's a dark comedy right? Like... it's not supposed to be taken super seriously and its ridiculousness is exaggerated for effect.
Also... how have you made it this far into the show and not turned back way earlier? The show's been pretty consistent in its 'you need to suspend your disbelief' factor for quite some time now. Are you some kind of masochist? You clearly aren't enjoying the show/don't understand what it's trying to do. I mean if watching shows that you don't enjoy is your thing then more power to you, but I don't get it.
You should see The Walking Dead thread.

"Omg this show sucks balls. It is seriously the worst thing ever on tv why do people watch this? A 10 year old could write better than this crap. Im done with the show."

cue next week,

"Omg this show sucks balls..."

Ser Goje

"Omg this show sucks balls. It is seriously the worst thing ever on tv why do people watch this? A 10 year old could write better than this crap. Im done with the show."

cue next week,

I used to be like this.

Life has gotten so much better since I stopped watching it.

Grinchy

Banned

cue next week,

But in all fairness, that show is fucking terrible. I can understand watching it as a guilty pleasure, though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm with saty

Malvo is the most undeserving bad guy in fiction history because all his schemes are a guaranteed clean success because he's malvo
It just feels like they wanted to recreate an Anton Chigurh type of character without really getting how to do that well, so you've got this guy who walks between the raindrops in a kind of hamfisted way to fit the humor of the show. We have a few eps left, so maybe they'll address it somehow, eh.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I definitely have issues with this show. I'm still enjoying it, but I don't feel its the masterpiece some are making it out to be.

Why do they keep using terrible CGI? That building scene was completely ruined by how terrible the windows looked.

Saganator

I just clicked on this thread to get some GAF impressions of the show, and it looks like I picked a great page to come in on.

Seems like GAF likes the show, I'll check it out when Game of Thrones and Cosmos is over.

Socreges

Banned
Saty's raison d'etre.

It just feels like they wanted to recreate an Anton Chigurh type of character without really getting how to do that well, so you've got this guy who walks between the raindrops in a kind of hamfisted way to fit the humor of the show. We have a few eps left, so maybe they'll address it somehow, eh.

Did they ever explain how he snuck out of the basement in the first episode?

Also note that the episode is scheduled to run an additional 17 minutes past the hour tonight, so adjust your viewing schedule/DVR accordingly.

In addition, a few critics with screeners have advised, like usual, that you either watch the episode live or stay off the internet until you've seen it.

Also note that the episode is scheduled to run an additional 17 minutes past the hour tonight, so adjust your viewing schedule/DVR accordingly.

In addition, a few critics with screeners have advised, like usual, that you either watch the episode live or stay off the internet until you've seen it.
YEEsss!

Omg cant wait.

- Matt Roush talking Fargo in his weekly Q&A for TV Guide:
Question: I am shocked how some of your readers think Fargo should have been just a follow-up to the movie with let's see how Marge is doing since everyone else involved in the movie was either dead or in prison. I agree that the show is terrific. The episode last week was one of the most amazing episodes of TV I have ever seen.

Answer: While I obviously part company with those who aren't enjoying FX's new variation on Fargo, I'm not sure their objections are all about it not following the characters from the movie. I get that something this offbeat (in its mix of violence and comedy, juxtaposing gentle whimsy with stylized and exaggerated mayhem) won't be to all tastes. If it were, it would be less memorable. But I'm leading with this to draw attention to Tuesday's episode (10/9c), which goes in a direction I would never have predicted and which I found exhilarating, surprising and very satisfying. At the end, I was left again marveling at how little I can predict where the final two episodes will go and how eager I am to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom