• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Extra |OT| of Unlimited Saber Works

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I got my booklet too...

But my brother got the mail before I did. He ripped open the package and proceeded to rip the book in half. I'm pretty upset but at the same time, he didn't know what he was doing (he's mentally and physically handicapped, so... I can't get too mad).

I guess I'm not meant to have the booklet, lol. Oh well. :/ It looks really nice though. I can still read some of the articles, but I'm not going to deny that I'm really upset.

Edit: Ah... I'm not... that upset anymore. I'll just tape it up and it'll look like it's new... kinda, lol. The info is pretty neat from what little I've read. Regardless, thanks a lot Aksys for your work in getting the Fate booklet to Canadian customers so quickly! :D

frequency

I got my booklet too...

But my brother got the mail before I did. He ripped open the package and proceeded to rip the book in half. I'm pretty upset but at the same time, he didn't know what he was doing (he's mentally and physically handicapped, so... I can't get too mad).

I guess I'm not meant to have the booklet, lol. Oh well. :/ It looks really nice though. I can still read some of the articles, but I'm not going to deny that I'm really upset.

Edit: Ah... I'm not... that upset anymore. I'll just tape it up and it'll look like it's new... kinda, lol. The info is pretty neat from what little I've read. Regardless, thanks a lot Aksys for your work in getting the Fate booklet to Canadian customers so quickly! :D

The Purolator tracking says they tried to deliver my GameStop.ca copy but no one was there (which is strange). I'm at work right now, but I'll see what's going on with that later tonight.

But anyway, I may be able to help you with your problem. I'll PM you later when I know for sure.

Have to say thanks again to Akselziys for helping us with this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Et j'ai fini!

I just need to borrow one of those huge staplers we have in the office next week to complete it. I think I did a pretty good job with what I had to work with (plus I'm super-thankful that my brother generally rips vertically through creases... but there were a few horizontals I had to fix too). SO MUCH TAPE. :lol

vecHt.jpg

At least I can read the pages now! My brother and I made up too.

Collection complete. Now to finish the game off this weekend along with Skyward Sword. Thanks, Aksys! :D

WCTJY.jpg

But anyway, I may be able to help you with your problem. I'll PM you later when I know for sure.

Have to say thanks again to Akselziys for helping us with this.
No worries. I fixed it. Thanks for offering, though. :D

Luigi87

You got the book before the game ?

No, I pre-ordered the game for the book (which I won't quite read yet), but the game itself I passed onto a family member to gift to me for Christmas.
I'm such a caring fellow, saving family members time from shopping for me. >.> <.<

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Done! Starting NG+ with Caster (lol). Good god, Caster is a pain to use even with high-level code casting.

Saber felt like easy mode. Once I got close to the end of the game, I decided to stop worrying about conserving items and just started burning her most powerful skills and buffs over and over, tossing elixirs when she ran out of MP. She mowed through everything, and her
self-res buff
meant I didn't even have to really worry about blocking enemy Noble Phantasms.

Just finished it ... Last week was quite fun , and overall the battle system is indeed cool ...Ending was fine , but i wish they went further ..( to see a true good ending ) ..

Last boss was underwhelming with my saber build ..but i'm gonna start a male - caster Ng+ run now...unpextected purchase but i don't regret it ...

got a limited edition for a friend yesterday ...sad to see as i open the package that no magazine was in it ..LE package was cool Overall it was a good job on the packaging ..i'm satisfied.

i've finished the game already and in my NG+ ( caster run )
i answered NO at the retry prompt ...

"There is a game over cutscene ????"

Game became even better.

Danj

i've finished the game already and in my NG+ ( caster run )
i answered NO at the retry prompt ...

"There is a game over cutscene ????"

Game became even better.

Was it a Tiger Dojo? Because they have those in the original Fate/Stay Night visual novel.

cj_iwakura

On Week 6, and the game continues to surpass my expectations. It's amazing how thorough and detailed the historical backgrounds of the servants are.

It's what I'd expect from Atlus in SMT demonarys, not from Type-Moon.

frequency

So how is this game overall? Is the story solid or is it kinda weird? Hows the combat system?

Very solid. It made my top 10! But I'm the only one who has it listed in their top 10 in the GAF GOTY thread... so...

It is kind of weird, but in a totally good way. I prefer to call it "unique".

Combat is okay. I suck at it. It's basically rock paper scissors. One type of action beats another and you have to try and guess what the enemy is going to do. There's patterns and stuff if you have a good memory. I tried to write stuff down but that got too messy so I just tried my best at remembering. It worked out fine.

I just really enjoyed the setting and premise. I understand that it's a side story totally unrelated to the rest of the Fate universe, but this got me totally interested in experiencing more Fate media whenever I have some time.

So how is this game overall? Is the story solid or is it kinda weird? Hows the combat system?

Very solid. It made my top 10! But I'm the only one who has it listed in their top 10 in the GAF GOTY thread... so...

it's great but clearly not GOTY ..the rpg elements are simple ...way too simple but that's ok considering the other streanghts of the game. it's a good idea but not something that will be remembered or on par with awesome games .

in short it's good but not a classic

frequency

it's great but clearly not GOTY ..the rpg elements are simple ...way too simple but that's ok considering the other streanghts of the game. it's a good idea but not something that will be remembered or on par with awesome games .

in short it's good but not a classic

Top 10 isn't GOTY :p
I have it ranked #10

But I still found this to be pretty awesome. Mostly for the story/setting stuff.

I rank my GOTY lists by what experiences affected me the most in the year. Mechanically speaking this isn't a classic. But experience-wise this will stick with me for a very long time.

This is just why he doesn't appear on GOTY lists ..it's good but that's it .
People are listing xenoblade, kotor,chrono trigger and such .. F/extra isn't in the same league

The story's pacing is like individual anime episodes, but with an over-arcing plot. Each week pits you against a new opponent, and you learn about them and their background. The story for them unfolds through the week.

So far, defeating the opponents gives me the same feeling as when I beat the colossi from Shadow of the Colossus.

At the beginning and end of the week, you get little tidbits that actually have something to do with the whole story. For the most part, you remain in the dark while everyone else seems to know what is going on. Nobody ever really tells you anything, and say things like "Hmmm, I see... it makes sense now..." and act all mysterious. For the most part, most of the main characters are as puzzled as you are on why you're able to survive for this long.

People are listing xenoblade, kotor,chrono trigger and such .. F/extra isn't in the same league

I keep having this lingering feeling that I should stop playing, and spend my time on a different game for this reason. I'm enjoying the game, but not as much as say, some of those Top 10s.

frequency

I didn't rank Xenoblade because I haven't finished it yet. I will only rank games I have completed. Xenoblade would probably make my list, which would knock Fate/Extra off if I finish it by January 7 (the GAF GOTY cut off date).

KOTOR and Chrono Trigger weren't released this year. I don't know why people would be adding that to their GOTY list.

But whatever. I think Fate/Extra is a solid game and totally worth playing.
It's one of the 10 games released in 2011 that gave me the most memorable experiences.
I guess I'm in the minority with that opinion though.

So for the original question from mjc about whether this is a solid game: my 2011 GOTY list would give you an idea of whether your opinions align with mine.

Sorry i made a mistake within the threads i was refering to This not the GOTY thread

My bad ..

i didn't say that it wasn't a bad game , just that it has flaws and (IMO) make is unsuitable for Any kind of GOTY

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sorry i made a mistake within the threads i was refering to This not the GOTY thread

My bad ..

i didn't say that it wasn't a bad game , just that it has flaws and (IMO) make is unsuitable for Any kind of GOTY
Opinions, opinions. Gosh, with regards to that RPG thread, I dunno if I'm even going to make a list for that. It's too hard. :lol

I'm almost finished. Got a few things to tie up, but I agree with you. It's good, it looks fantastic, and the music is great... but I wish the core mechanics of the battle system didn't boil down to rock-paper-scissors + random special attack.

There are a few things you can play with like Masters using certain attacks to pre-empt the enemy Servants from using their attacks or special skills in a round, which is pretty nice. Though in hindsight, I should have picked Caster first. I'm finding things a little too easy with Archer. I might start a bit with Caster when I finish the game and see how hard is "Hard". The only hard part of the game was probably
the bit where you had to decide to save either Rani or Rin, and it's entirely possible to do it without using two command seals--but getting that done seemed to be chance-based (ex: successfully executing 5 special attacks), so I had to reset twice.

Eh, I'll go more in-depth with this later on. I do like the nature of the universe, though. I haven't experienced anything Fate/-related, so this has been an interesting adventure. I'll check the Fate/zero anime out at least.

Opinions, opinions. Gosh, with regards to that RPG thread, I dunno if I'm even going to make a list for that. It's too hard. :lol

I'm almost finished. Got a few things to tie up, but I agree with you. It's good, it looks fantastic, and the music is great... but I wish the core mechanics of the battle system didn't boil down to rock-paper-scissors + random special attack.

There are a few things you can play with like Masters using certain attacks to pre-empt the enemy Servants from using their attacks or special skills in a round, which is pretty nice. Though in hindsight, I should have picked Caster first. I'm finding things a little too easy with Archer. I might start a bit with Caster when I finish the game and see how hard is "Hard". The only hard part of the game was probably
the bit where you had to decide to save either Rani or Rin, and it's entirely possible to do it without using two command seals--but getting that done seemed to be chance-based (ex: successfully executing 5 special attacks), so I had to reset twice.

Eh, I'll go more in-depth with this later on. I do like the nature of the universe, though. I haven't experienced anything Fate/-related, so this has been an interesting adventure. I'll check the Fate/zero anime out at least.

Actually , going with caster ( first )is REALLY difficult...without proper knowledge of the battle and ennemies i would be dead over and over again ..

i'm NG+ with caster and it's really hard at some points.

As for who to save ,
I knew it wouldn't hurt to try so i went with 1 seal with Saber ( against berserker ) and i won ..i cheated since his pattern is the same no matter if you use the seal or not so i went with the seal , saw the pattern and reloaded ( yes it's cheap )

Luigi87

After having this for nearly two months, but not "having" it, Christmas has come and I can finally play!

The Visual Works package is really nice. Very happy I opted for the LE.

So far playing it:
*PSP battery cuts out and enters emergency sleep*
"WTF! I just charged it!" *looks at clock* "Oh....wow."

Jigsaw

Banned
The only hard part of the game was probably

that is the only part in the game were
you are allowed to use command seals though,you won't get another chance to use seal 2 or 3,so there is no point to keep them

Sadly, I hear the genders make little difference. Almost all the dialogue is gender neutral.

There were a few cases where some NPCs called me a "dude". Caster's lack of sexual preference also makes it interesting thus far.
And no, they do make special cases where they refer to your character's gender. But it's mostly uninteresting dialogue, or things that aren't gender specific.

*might* be interested in replaying with Saber, but so far, Caster has been extremely awesome - nuking enemies within 2 moves feels very satisfying.

Luigi87

Well played Aksys, that cracked me up

!!Em8PY02nSA3IMEE5mAINSYPhMODPEX
999BLazBLUEsysAGArestsdGUC4JIK
n3652011e27SST3450987CC12c255-!!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Sort of Fate/EXTRA related, but...

Fate/EXTRA Caster figure GET! :D

gRnke.jpg

A2N0l.jpg

Really great figure! I hope they do a Fate/EXTRA Saber too :)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Finished NG+ with Caster and beat the
optional boss who was HARD AS NAILS.

Caster really grew on me after a while. She seemed like a bubbly fanservice character at first, which is exactly the sort of thing I hate, but she became a lot more likable as time went on and I can't quite put my finger on why. I also like Caster's fighting style much more than Saber's. Saber could just mow through everything while Caster is much more tactical.

That's one of the things I like about this game. It really emphasizes the relationship that is built between master and servant; by the end of the game your servant really does feel like a faithful partner that has been with you through a long journey. The game also made my top 10.

What happens if you get a Matrix EX rank on your servant? I never got it for either playthrough. I'm considering a third playthrough with Archer.

Mupod

I think I missed out on fluffy tail caster's matrix EX rank too...I'm not finished the game yet (I just fought
Gawain
for the first time), but from what I've seen I screwed up by picking a single wrong dialogue choice. God dammit.

Regardless she's pretty much the main reason I've stuck with the game, even though it was tough until I got the MP regen skill. I've laughed my ass off at her dialogue so many times.

nonobits.jpg

frequency

[IMG]

Really great figure! I hope they do a Fate/EXTRA Saber too :)[/QUOTE]

I'm always afraid to buy figures that stand on a leg at an angle like that. Some of them like to become warped over time and start to lean over. You have more courage than me!
Looks nice though. I particularly enjoy the mirror accessory.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I got this game as a Christmas gift... and am kinda getting sick of Kirby: Mass Attack so I might start this (or Trails in the Sky). Which of those games are more suitable to portable play? How long are both games?

http://i.imgur.com/gRnke.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/A2N0l.jpg[IMG]

Really great figure! [B]I hope they do a Fate/EXTRA Saber too[/B] :)[/QUOTE]

You mean this beauty?
[img]http://img.amiami.jp/images/product/main/114//FIG-MOE-4954.jpg

I already preordered her here a few months back: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIG-MOE-4954

I'm always afraid to buy figures that stand on a leg at an angle like that. Some of them like to become warped over time and start to lean over. You have more courage than me!
Looks nice though. I particularly enjoy the mirror accessory.

Figure manufacturers these days are a lot better, especially GoodSmile. They use a harder PVC for the leg for support, and also make sure the figure is "balanced" with weight distribution. They don't lean.

I wrote two articles about figure plastics, and how to fix leaning figures:
http://radiantdreamer.net/anime-pride/differences-in-plastics-abs-pvc-vinyl-resin-polystone-oh-my/
http://radiantdreamer.net/anime-pride/figure-care-dusting-cleaning-and-leaning/

frequency

Figure manufacturers these days are a lot better, especially GoodSmile. They use a harder PVC for the leg for support, and also make sure the figure is "balanced" with weight distribution. They don't lean.

I wrote two articles about figure plastics, and how to fix leaning figures:
http://radiantdreamer.net/anime-pride/differences-in-plastics-abs-pvc-vinyl-resin-polystone-oh-my/
http://radiantdreamer.net/anime-pride/figure-care-dusting-cleaning-and-leaning/

Oh wonderful! There have been a lot I passed on because I was afraid of leaning. I have a few that are warped and I had to put them back in the box.

I'll bookmark the links and read them later.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh right. I finished Fate/Extra. I should really write up impressions on the weekend or something. Long story short: I probably should've started with Caster; the narrative and "journal entries" were nice to read; the game looks really nice; the Japanese voiceover in some cases was great; the music's great; the battle system is... well... I'll save that for impressions. I'm tossing around how blunt I should be about that aspect at the moment.

I got this game as a Christmas gift... and am kinda getting sick of Kirby: Mass Attack so I might start this (or Trails in the Sky). Which of those games are more suitable to portable play? How long are both games?
Trails is a game where you can save anywhere. The unfortunate thing about Fate/Extra is that I found myself playing it mostly at home due to the fact that I couldn't save while grinding in the dungeon area.

I played Trails longer than Fate/Extra, though. Fate/Extra can go by pretty quickly if you play it right. But if you're commuting or playing a game during a lunch break, perhaps you should go with a game that has a save anywhere feature. In Fate/Extra, when you're stuck looking for a time-sensitive object in a dungeon on the last day it's in that dungeon but your break time finishes, and the only way of saving is when you're outside the dungeon, you have little choice but to bring up the menu and then put the PSP in sleep mode.

And yeah! Kirby Mass Attack was probably the longest Kirby game I've played in a while. :lol

Rarutos

Finally finished my first playthrough of this tonight with Caster! The latter weeks went a bit faster because Caster can easily ignore most enemy patterns by nuking them with spells, which was really nice (and expensive, but money isn't really a big deal in this game).

Anywho, I really think this game would have been a lot more enjoyable with a save in-dungeon feature, especially with some annoying mid-week fights that are easily loseable. :( Also dead ends.

I did enjoy the game over all though, Caster was loads of fun! I'm tempted to go through it again to see what Saber is like, as I am very curious about her personality, but I will probably save that for a lot later.

Well i don't think there are fans of Fate in europe here that didn't try fate/extra already ..

Might be why nobody replied since the last time.

Jarmel

Banned
So just finished floor 2 and I hate this dungeon design so much along with the combat. Shit feels random as fuck sometimes.

Top Bottom