• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Extra |OT| of Unlimited Saber Works

Luigi87

frequency said:
GameStop.ca copy arrived in the mail... no pre-order book.........................

I'm not happy.
Lack of people getting it from them seems to be very frequent.
I sent them an email, so time to wait 24-48 hours to hear back...

frequency

Luigi87 said:
Lack of people getting it from them seems to be very frequent.
I sent them an email, so time to wait 24-48 hours to hear back...
I sent an email as well but I doubt anything will come of it.
The last time I ordered from GameStop.ca was for Kingdom Hearts BBS. I ordered way early but didn't get the pre-order bonus. When I emailed them, they basically just said "tough luck". I cried.

I didn't really cry.
Yes I did :(

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That sucks guys. x: I cancelled my order from GameStop after they took days to not get back to me so I could have my copy shipped. Hope you guys get your delicious Rin.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
frequency said:
GameStop.ca copy arrived in the mail... no pre-order book.........................

I'm not happy.
Are you serious? If that happens to me, I'll be super-pissed because I'm supposed to be getting my package tomorrow.

Luigi87

frequency said:
I sent an email as well but I doubt anything will come of it.
The last time I ordered from GameStop.ca was for Kingdom Hearts BBS. I ordered way early but didn't get the pre-order bonus. When I emailed them, they basically just said "tough luck". I cried.

I didn't really cry.
Yes I did :(

That happened to me too, except they replied that they would ship the BbS decals.
...They didn't in the end.

Anywho, I'm supposed to technically pass the game off to be given as a Christmas gift to me, but staring at that box...
>.<

kurohana

Just so anyone playing Caster knows, when you get Land of Eternal Bane, you have to use the skill when you're below 30% hp, not above. I remember trying it during Week 6 and getting a lance in the face for it.

Solune

Also a victim of no pre-order book. I think they will send it , it seems the book may not have arrived at the same time as the game? This has happened with me before with Dragon Quest VI (Although this was Gamestop.com). I received the slime plushie a few days after receiving the game so I still have hope.

Luigi87

Solune said:
Also a victim of no pre-order book. I think they will send it , it seems the book may not have arrived at the same time as the game? This has happened with me before with Dragon Quest VI (Although this was Gamestop.com). I received the slime plushie a few days after receiving the game so I still have hope.
I certainly hope that's the case...
Otherwise this is worse than when Rin botched up her summoning in F/SN... (okay, I had to make the joke, but I am rather irritated).

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
kurohana said:
There is a thread on gamefaqs, but they haven't progressed since the day I asked. None of them really have a clue. I started over anyways, because I figure I must've made a wrong choice somewhere, and I believe I have something more reliable than their board now.

Curious though, did you get her matrix to E?

Yeah I did. I don't know if it will help, but here are some of the choices I made: Big spoiler up to week 7 of course.

Answer: (I don't really remember the question, the order should be correct, I might missed something)
1. Tell me about what you like (When she ask what do you want to know about her, the other option was asking for her name)
2. It is unforgivable (When she ask for opinion about massacre)
3. I don't mind (When she ask for your opinion about nonhuman)
4. As long as it is cute (Again regarding nonhuman)
5. Don't ask her (I believe after 5th week boss fight, when the MC consider if he/she should ask what caster is. I heard the correct choice is to "ask her")
6. My heart is for Nani (I didn't get the My heart is for Caster option -.-, the other answer is "I want to save first", which is fatal)
7. In arena, when the system summon some angel looking monster to defeat you in the last week. I think I chose "Believe in me" and second option on the next dialog choice.

I also got the the hidden conversation for getting x amount of money, taking over 300k damage, upgrading one of her mantra spell (the 2.5 to 4.5x damage), 10 perfect matches, defeat like 5 rare monster. I am not sure that will help or not, some say it does, some say it doesn't.

I got Matrix E when I talk to her in week 7 day 3, in private room

Basileus777 said:
Does getting your servant's matrix to E just fill out all the information or is there some bonus associated with it as well?

No in game bonus, just all the martix information fill out. For caster she also tell you her back story, one of my favorite part of the game. Since instead of just some long reading, it is narrated by caster, and I don't think there are better way to present it.

Excellent. I finally have free time to dig into this game! Prepare to be judged, Magna_Mixalis. XD

I'll let you dictate who I play through first: Saber, Archer, or Caster? Also, male or female?
My gut tells me Caster/Female, lol.

kurohana

kiunchbb said:
Yeah I did. I don't know if it will help, but here are some of the choices I made: Big spoiler up to week 7 of course.
Jeez, I even got the option to say Caster in that one option (I did pick it of course), but I still didn't get the week 7 room dialogue. I doubt I could find what in the world I did wrong in that save and I'm already almost on week 2 in this new game, so whatever I guess. I'll just hope I get it this time.

One thing that really impresses me about the game is that there are basically no "bullshit" deaths in the actual combat engine. Early on, when you're learning about how individual monster "families" behave (like how birds
tend to act in doubles
, bees
like to string breaks after attacks
or -Phobias
focus very heavily on one kind of attack
) the game just shits healing items after battles all over you, ensuring you have a buffer to survive mistakes, and in the mid-late game, you have plenty of tools to mitigate the pain, break up potential enemy chains ahead of time, and learn individual monster quirks without dying. If you end up getting chumped, it's always because you did something wrong and let a monster get a chain on you - even as Caster.

Like, I just got my dumb butt killed in 5-2, losing easily an hour's worth of grinding progress... and it was purely, completely my fault. There are at least three things I could've done differently and one thing I SHOULD have done differently, but instead I made a mistake and it ended up costing me. It's actually kind of refreshing; "rock-paper-scissors" sounds so simple on the surface, but once you really get into it the combat system is seriously complicated and gives you plenty of chances to hang yourself with your own stupidity. I love it.

kurohana

I sorta felt that the Week 6 had some cheap deaths, but only on the boss. Mainly because you just have no idea what turn this specific attack comes up, generally. That, or I just had really back luck, even though I had the matrix at E. Aphotic Cave spamming helps I guess.

zoku88

Whelp, finished Female MC + Caster playthrough. Think I'm going to take a break before trying to tackle some secret bosses.

kurohana said:
Just so anyone playing Caster knows, when you get Land of Eternal Bane, you have to use the skill when you're below 30% hp, not above. I remember trying it during Week 6 and getting a lance in the face for it.
Oh wow. I only tried to use this three times and failed all three. I thought it was because of something else XD

Basileus777 said:
Does anyone know if stat increases only take effect when you go up a rank or does each incremental increase improve it?

There's always an effect; the letters are more of a holdover from the Fate/stay night VN than anything else (where the various servants were ranked in power and ability in a way very similar to the Info Matrix in Extra) and are essentially flavor here.

Semifake edit: Which is to say, it also makes things a hair silly at times. I really want to know how, say, an all-D-rank Saber or whoever can defeat
Rider
, who has EX-level Luck, and a fucking EX-level ability. By rights
Rider
should hand you your ass every single time you fight her, even when you're late in the game. I guess
Shinji
really did just suck that hard as a Master.

SpaceDrake said:
There's always an effect; the letters are more of a holdover from the Fate/stay night VN than anything else (where the various servants were ranked in power and ability in a way very similar to the Info Matrix in Extra) and are essentially flavor here.

Semifake edit: Which is to say, it also makes things a hair silly at times. I really want to know how, say, an all-D-rank Saber or whoever can defeat
Rider
, who has EX-level Luck, and a fucking EX-level ability. By rights
Rider
should hand you your ass every single time you fight her, even when you're late in the game. I guess
Shinji
really did just suck that hard as a Master.
It's not just a hold over. The game does nudge you in the direction of F/SN stats. Since investing a single point into a stat results in it increasing by 1, 2 or 3 points. So stats level up faster when bellow the F/SN tier and level up slower when you get past it.

On the other hand why does Lancer's E luck rating always ensure his death? Or maybe it's because he always dies that his Luck is so low. It's all just flavor.
SpaceDrake said:
One thing that really impresses me about the game is that there are basically no "bullshit" deaths in the actual combat engine. Early on, when you're learning about how individual monster "families" behave (like how birds
tend to act in doubles
, bees
like to string breaks after attacks
or -Phobias
focus very heavily on one kind of attack
) the game just shits healing items after battles all over you, ensuring you have a buffer to survive mistakes, and in the mid-late game, you have plenty of tools to mitigate the pain, break up potential enemy chains ahead of time, and learn individual monster quirks without dying. If you end up getting chumped, it's always because you did something wrong and let a monster get a chain on you - even as Caster.
Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. Mess up the first choice followed up paralysis twice in a row. GG good bye an hour worth of progress.

Edit: Not true though. An hour is an exaggeration, half an hour is more likely. And now I remember at least some of the attack patterns so it's easier.

I figured the preorder bonus might be janky, so I went to brick and mortar to preorder. Even then, I had to ask and clearly describe what the bonus was.

Honestly, you're all not missing much. It's a flimsy booklet about the size of the LE case, and it's INCREDIBLY wordy with very little art, with mostly plot related stuff. It's not really an enjoyable read.

(note: not giving up my copy though)

Lostconfused said:
Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. Mess up the first choice followed up paralysis twice in a row. GG good bye an hour worth of progress.

Edit: Not true though. An hour is an exaggeration, half an hour is more likely. And now I remember at least some of the attack patterns so it's easier.
Too soon, spoke too soon. Paralysis three times in a row. Now definitely over an hour of progress lost.

Heretic Kazuma said:
Excellent. I finally have free time to dig into this game! Prepare to be judged, Magna_Mixalis. XD

I'll let you dictate who I play through first: Saber, Archer, or Caster? Also, male or female?
My gut tells me Caster/Female, lol.

Mike01, you're alive!

No, for you, it's Male Master + Archer. Did you buy a copy? If so, you really should have called us first...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Got my game...! But...

...I am a victim of no preorder book as well. Booooo! The only reason I ordered from Gamestop.ca. :(

If only there were virtual magazine racks! (Kidding.) I'll shoot them an email about it, though. I doubt anything would come out of it.

Taking this to school tonight to play prior to class and during break. I've settled on Female + Archer just to see how the game plays first.

frequency

GameStop.ca got back to me with a canned e-mail about how it's in limited supply and it's first come first serve and so too bad for me.

There is no way they ran out before any of us here placed our orders. No way.

frequency said:
GameStop.ca got back to me with a canned e-mail about how it's in limited supply and it's first come first serve and so too bad for me.

It's like Gamestop did a background check and decided the Canadian gaffers should be denied the pre-order bonus.

Edit: More on topic. I'm enjoying the game so far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
frequency said:

Edit: ok, I was being obnoxious. Edited. It can't be possible that they ran out before we placed our preorders as I'm pretty sure a lot of us placed our preorders the day it went up on the site.

I still emailed them, though I wonder if they'll send me the same response. A bit disappointed, but I'll see if I get a similar response from them tomorrow.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Got my LE in from Aksys with my delicious Rin magazine~!

Also sorry about you CanadaGaffers. >: I'd send you all copies if I had more than one.

kiryogi

Banned
InfiniteNine said:

Also sorry about you CanadaGaffers. >: I'd send you all copies if I had more than one.

Ditto on that, the fact booklet is NICE.

kurohana

What great timing you have, Infinite9.

I really do hope something can be done for the people that didn't receive their stuff.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
InfiniteNine said:

Awesome :D! The booklet is quite delicious~

cj_iwakura

kurohana said:
What great timing you have, Infinite9.

I really do hope something can be done for the people that didn't receive their stuff.

Bo's reprinting them as we speak! You just have to give him an elaborate novella fanfiction detailing the ups and downs of your favorite shipping.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
We're currently investigating things with GameStop.ca to see if the people who didn't get a booklet and were supposed to will be able to get one.

I'll keep you all posted :)

frequency

Akselziys said:
We're currently investigating things with GameStop.ca to see if the people who didn't get a booklet and were supposed to will be able to get one.

Wow! Thank you!
You always go above and beyond to help out us measly fans.

I spent the last hour or so trying to write a strongly worded letter to GameStop.ca, but I fail at sounding cross :(

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
frequency said:
Wow! Thank you!
You always go above and beyond to help out us measly fans.

I spent the last hour or so trying to write a strongly worded letter to GameStop.ca, but I fail at sounding cross :(

Haha, I'm here to help :)

And nothing measly about you ;D

Fans are very strong in their own right, so be proud of that XD

B.K.

Akselziys said:

You should send them out to people for free.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
frequency said:

This kind of shit is the reason I stopped dealing with Gamestop entirely.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Akselziys said:

Thanks. You guys are the best. :)

Perhaps the bonuses went in-store rather than online?

Ah, I'm not as angry anymore and I shouldn't have lost my cool, It's not like me to do that at all. The game's pretty nice so far, though! I'll delve in a little more tonight since I have some work to do, but I might just listen to the soundtrack while I grade.

The artbook is super-nice. I love the packaging.

thetrin said:
This kind of shit is the reason I stopped dealing with Gamestop entirely.

There are reasons I got the PSN version, and it wasn't just about convenience.

Lostconfused said:

Okay, paralysis *can* be bullshit due to the RNG element, I'll admit, though I've yet to be chumped by it. Happily, it's mostly the bees who seem to do that so you can anticipate it to some degree and try to prepare accordingly.

frequency

Dark Schala said:
Thanks. You guys are the best. :)

Perhaps the bonuses went in-store rather than online?

Ah, I'm not as angry anymore and I shouldn't have lost my cool, It's not like me to do that at all. The game's pretty nice so far, though! I'll delve in a little more tonight since I have some work to do, but I might just listen to the soundtrack while I grade.

The artbook is super-nice. I love the packaging.
I totally agree! I don't think any other publisher has done so much for some random people complaining on some forum. It really makes me happy to know Aksys cares :)

The artbook/CD case thingy looks really classy. I'm happy it's not cheap and flimsy and that the CD didn't come in a boring paper sleeve. The entire package looks almost as classy as the Agarest War Zero LE card box thingy.

I finally have some time to myself so I'm going to start playing before bed tonight. I have no previous history with any of the Fate stuff so I hope I don't miss out on too much!

Jigsaw

Banned
i started the game yesterday and just finished the prologue,and *whoa* alot more text than i expected :D your translation is amazing though,i can't remember the last time when i enjoyed a jrpg tutorial

zoku88

Basileus777 said:
Shockwave 2nd Strike makes this game so much easier, those 2 free attacks render all normal enemies a joke with Saber.
I ended up focusing on healing with Formal Wear.

I love the one you eventually lets you heal MP. Let's me go crazy when using Caster XD

I finished the game. Overall I liked it. I was afraid that the combat would become repetitive and start to bore me, but that never ended up happening. The bosses stayed interesting and normal enemies were really easy/quick to kill with Saber. Though I ended up stunning most enemies and running by them in the last week. The final boss was really easy with the
theater of the deranged/blossom of the court combo
. I think I'll end up trying a Caster playthrough on a NG+, though Skyrim beckons...

cj_iwakura

Yeah, tutorial hooked me too. Way more like a VN than I expected. (High praise from me.)

I'm lost now, though. :( Day 4, and I have no clue where to go.

Magna_Mixalis said:
Mike01, you're alive!

No, for you, it's Male Master + Archer. Did you buy a copy? If so, you really should have called us first...
Aah, I wish I saw this sooner. I'm already into Week 5. I'll do the bro run my next playthrough.

And you know I'm a Type-Moon whore; Any of their products automatically deserve my money, regardless if I would've gotten it for free, lol.

frequency said:
I finally have some time to myself so I'm going to start playing before bed tonight. I have no previous history with any of the Fate stuff so I hope I don't miss out on too much!
I'm curious to know what you think. Keep us posted!

i See 2 routes are in front of me .. i have to choose ...what route to pick ? Are they different in story and characters to face afterwards ? ( if Yes, then i'll just pick up the other in NG+ )

.The dillema is what route to choose first ...

R_thanatos said:
i See 2 routes are in front of me .. i have to choose ...what route to pick ? Are they different in story and characters to face afterwards ? ( if Yes, then i'll just pick up the other in NG+ )

.The dillema is what route to choose first ...

The way the route split works is as such: both girls survive no matter what you do, but the one you side against will be your sixth opponent. The choice also affects who you fight in round four; generally, siding with Rin makes for an easy round four and a brutal round six, while siding with Rani is a harder round four and a slightly easier round six.

frequency

Initial impressions are very positive. As other people mentioned, it feels a lot like a VN, which is a huge plus for me. So far I don't feel like I'm particularly lost or anything like that. I'm sure I'm missing references and I feel like I'm supposed to recognize some of these characters but it's not hurting my experience. That may change as I play more, but I don't think it will.

The story so far is pretty interesting. If it continues to be, I'll definitely look more into the Fate series.

I feel this game has a really strong opening. It certainly grabbed me way more than any of the recent AAA releases on the home consoles. The
twist at the beginning before you choose name and stuff
was genuinely surprising. I really wanted to go with Archer (based on looks because I'm a shallow jerk), but I suck at video games and reading that some people had some difficulty, I caved and chose Saber for easy mode. I intend to play through multiple times anyway so I'll do Archer my next play through.

The message when I started the game about dead ends really makes me nervous. I usually play games alternating between 2-3 saves. I don't know if that will be enough. I don't like having a ton of saves on my memory card because I always get confused when going to load something up.

My only complaint so far is that the text is a little on the slow side, even at the fast setting.

I only got as far as
waking up in the Nurse's Office after getting Saber
. I'm really looking forward to my next session of play.

Top Bottom