• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Father of 4 detained by ICE while dropping his kids off at school

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
The person who trespassed ruined their family's life when they chose to create a family in an illegal situation or involve their family with their illegal act. The government of the country that was trespassed upon is not the one ruining lives. That's the major point.

Your second paragraph is a variation of the same point I answered above, disregarding the fact that I would safely say I live a majority of my days without breaking the law. But if I do break the law I am doing it understanding the consequence. Can you document for me why someone who actually is breaking the law daily isn't willing to do the same?

Your edit is actually more absurd. It is not a human right to be allowed into the United States. I think I'll have to bow out at this one.

Its the very ideal upon which we build our modern national myth.

The person who trespassed ruined their family's life when they chose to create a family in an illegal situation or involve their family with their illegal act. The government of the country that was trespassed upon is not the one ruining lives. That's the major point.

Your second paragraph is a variation of the same point I answered above, disregarding the fact that I would safely say I live a majority of my days without breaking the law. But if I do break the law I am doing it understanding the consequence. Can you document for me why someone who actually is breaking the law daily isn't willing to do the same?

Your edit is actually more absurd. It is not a human right to be allowed into the United States. I think I'll have to bow out at this one.

You have a lot of nerve to use this as an argument given how this country was built.

Caja 117

The opportunity for an immigrant to work here or to create a family here is not a right. It must be earned. Thousands of people fight for that opportunity legally every year but don't make the cut. Some never make the cut. Those are ordinary people. People who bypass the system are not ordinary, they have made themselves extraordinary because they have taken advantage of a privilege they did not earn.

Trespassing is a crime. Violent trespassers aren't being deported because they're violent, they're being deported because they trespassed. Non-violent trespassers aren't being deported because they're non-violent, they're being deported because they trespassed.

That's the current system. I have advocated for a system that analyzes each individual situation's unique factors and assigns a relevant penalty. I have argued against blanket amnesty but also against mass deportation.

I do not think I have missed any major points of the topic.

I came to this country on a tourist visa, fell in love with someone here, overstay my visa because I wanted to be with this person we end up marrying but we didn't have the resources to get my papers, I never in my life have being arrested nor have i committed any crimes, Before I moved here I held a high ranking position at one of the biggest bank in the planet, yet here I had to get Job that didn't fit my real abilities.

You talk about we dont get punishment for being here "illegally", How about leaving in fear every day to get deported? how about as it happened to me, with no Medical Insurance I had to tough out every time i got sick, once I got into a car accident and had to endure the pain of broken ribs for a month or so, I got lucky, because all of my family from my father side lives in this country, So I had people to comfort me.

In my case I never planed to leave my life I had in my other country, but this happened, and based and what you said, I should had been sent back to my country, because in your mind I don't belong here.

You can't let empathy dictate laws on immigration(ie "but he is a dad" / "but he has a family" ), if we did that nothing would get done.

The core of your argument ignores the fact that if his kids are born in the US they are American citizens. They shouldnt have their life uprooted on the basis of their dad being undocumented for 20 years. It's pointless. Besides all social aspects of why this is dumb the economic issues paint an even more grim picture.

If the vast bulk of illegal immigrants werent living normal lawful lives I might bend on this but all they do is exist and contribute to the economy. What is the point of ignoring empathy in the equation? Seems to me that you look at the undocumented worker issue in the US and all it really says is A) the govt prefers it this way or B) immigration laws as os arent good enough to actually support your economic structure.

I wonder how many that work there are the stereotypical immigration fearing racist

Not everyone. I'm sure some people are just like anyone else, working their 9 to 5 and trying to get by.

It's time for these decent people to quit. At some point, not willingly being part of something evil takes precedence.

Vyer

You can't let empathy dictate laws on immigration(ie "but he is a dad" / "but he has a family" ), if we did that nothing would get done.

empathy is probably an important response when you're letting racism dictate the enforcement of laws

Caja 117

empathy is probably an important response when you're letting racism dictate the enforcement of laws

This is true as well, this deportation are based on racism in most cases, they dont go for European immigrants like they are doing on brown people.

Not everyone. I'm sure some people are just like anyone else, working their 9 to 5 and trying to get by.

It's time for these decent people to quit. At some point, not willingly being part of something evil takes precedence.

I would argue differently, even if they have to enforce removal, at least someone with empathy there might make the process less aggravating for the person. Sometimes what stop a racist cop on taking a Black mans life is another cop that is not racist.

I just find people's whole issues with immigration so fucking stupid. Illegals do not slide into high paying jobs that displace citizens. Who the fuck cares beyond that honestly? The concept of citizenship to a country is not something to take pride in on the basis that you won the lottery to not be born into a country with zero economic opportunities. People that get so hateful over this are the worst ttpe of human beings.

If you were born in a specific country you didnt do shit to have this god given arrogance over right an wrong. Getting mad people were desparate enough to risk uprooting their everything at a better chance is cowardly given all you did was be born. You aren't tough on immigration and law, you're just an asshole.

Jetman

Do we know if he tried to at least start the process on becoming documented? If I was undocumented I would at least try for that in my 20 years of life here, so I'd have Some kind of defense in a situation like this. Especially if I had a family, kids, life, etc.

I agree with what I snipped so I'm not going to speak on that.

But as a father myself I would never risk starting a family here if I was here illegally. There was nothing smart about that decision. He is lucky ice didn't deport him back then.

As a father you should know you don't always get to start your family in ideal conditions. Things don't always go as planned.

Thinking about the best interest of the child should he have taken the kid out of the US to avoid a possible deportation? Or should he have risked staying to ensure his kids go to better schools and at least they have citizenship and risk getting deported?

I'll concede he made his decision and is now entangled in the consequence but deportation isn't a solution for him, his family, or this country. And I think you know that.

Caja 117

I just find people's whole issues with immigration so fucking stupid. Illegals do not slide into high paying jobs that displace citizens. Who the fuck cares beyond that honestly? The concept of citizenship to a country is not something to take pride in on the basis that you won the lottery to not be born into a country with zero economic opportunities. People that get so hateful over this are the worst ttpe of human beings.

If you were born in a specific country you didnt do shit to have this god given arrogance over right an wrong. Getting mad people were desparate enough to risk uprooting their everything at a better chance is cowardly given all you did was be born. You aren't tough on immigration and law, you're just an asshole.

The issue most people have against illegal immigration is never really about that, that the excuse used to hide the real motive, which is racism and/or the mentality you dont belong in this country. Is basically the same with the excuse of using the laws as an absolute ("You broke the law by coming here you need to be removed"). You think someone that doesn't care about getting a job saying Mexicans should be deported because they are taking jobs away from Americans is his real reason with his mentality against them?

20 years is fast. It took 22 years for my mom's petition from my grandparents (who were citizens, but only after my mom was born). This was in the 80's.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/bulletin/2017/visa-bulletin-for-march-2017.html

Check the dates for Mexico. There are families that petitioned in 1994 that are only now getting processed, 23 years later.

There should be a thread created about this, so those concerned poster asking how come someone with 10 years in this country is not a citizen can learn just how hard it is to do so.

necrosis

I wonder how many that work there are the stereotypical immigration fearing racist

i'm going to go out on a limb and say all of them

they're the ones that should be deported -- directly to the bottom of the ocean. pieces of shit are tearing families apart purely because they hate brown people

Fuck Trump and his soggy Cheeto ass.

Fuck his sorry ass supporters

Fuck the entirety of the Republican Party

All these assholes can join the pricks in the ICE when they get sent to the deepest, hottest part of hell.

You have an incredibly black and white view of the world and really don't seem to understand circumstance, nuance or basic human empathy.

I get that you were probably born into a privileged position, in a privileged country so maybe you should take some time to reflect on those who aren't and weren't before you say things such as this.

I'm not saying you're wrong or that you're factually incorrect. I'm suggesting that you stop viewing the world from such a limited, narrow lens.

Go ask the natives already here and the slaves we brought over what their rights were before using that argument.

The reason so many folks could stay in this country illegally was because it benefited big businesses. They were a cheap source of labor and the power elite paid congress well to ensure the government looked the other way for a very, very long time. It's the government that has failed our illegal immigrant population and this family in particular for allowing the shitty practice of paying illegal labor, cheap, and keeping it off the books. Families such as these deserve amnesty as a policy due to the blind eye the US government and its agencies have turned towards folks entering into the country. It's cruel and I'm ashamed of my country for treating hard working families this way.

The issue most people have against illegal immigration is never really about that, that the excuse used to hide the real motive, which is racism and/or the mentality you dont belong in this country. Is basically the same with the excuse of using the laws as an absolute ("You broke the law by coming here you need to be removed"). You think someone that doesn't care about getting a job saying Mexicans should be deported because they are taking jobs away from Americans is his real reason with his mentality against them?

Of course it's racism. But the mentality still needs to be called out. Immigration laws and vetting and controlled flow of people in and out of a country is necessary. But the arrogance of people born in a country to act as though being undocumented is an easy cake walk and they need to respect privilege and all his bullshit is annoying. Unless you actually immigrated under current law yourself you dont know shit about the struggle. And that goes x100 if you are from a dark skin country.

The immigration process isn't even fair when it it comes to people trying to do.it legally.

Of course it's racism. But the mentality still needs to be called out. Immigration laws and vetting and controlled flow of people in and out of a country is necessary. But the arrogance of people born in a country to act as though being undocumented is an easy cake walk and they need to respect privilege and all his bullshit is annoying. Unless you actually immigrated under current law yourself you dont know shit about the struggle. And that goes x100 if you are from a dark skin country.

The immigration process isn't even fair when it it comes to people trying to do.it legally.

Word. Let's not forget all those decades where European immigrants got priority over Black and Brown immigrants.

Times change. I'm sure as hell glad we aren't living under the same system that was in place in 1776. If we were I'd be in chains.

Here's the thing, even in the context of America's formative years, there were people who knew the concept of Manifest Destiny was fucked up, Andrew Jackson went through with it despite the Supreme Court saying he couldn't.

I just think it's ridiculous how White people in this country clutch their pearls about immigrants (both illegal and legal) given that their ancestors took this land by bloodshed.

Foggy

Few things more transparent than being vigorously passionate about law and order as it relates to illegal immigration.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
So he had the time in those 20 years to have kids and get a DUI and not bother to become a citizen? Sorry, but I've gotten a DUI and served jail time for my own mistakes. He could have served the same if he went through the process of becoming a legal citizen. No sympathy. Adios. 👋🏻

It sucks for the kids, but maybe don't break laws in a country you're not a legal resident in. His fault his kids will have to suffer through all this.

So THIS is what heartlessness looks like.

Shameful.

Caja 117

Yea, he looks like one of the Drug Lords, Murderers and Rapists that Donald Dumbass was talking about...

It fills a quota to keep those racist voters happy, these people getting arrested by ICE are easy to do so because they are not running or hiding. They are basically being lazy about it.

depths20XX

Here's the thing, even in the context of America's formative years, there were people who knew the concept of Manifest Destiny was fucked up, Andrew Jackson went through with it despite the Supreme Court saying he couldn't.

I just think it's ridiculous how White people in this country clutch their pearls about immigrants (both illegal and legal) given that their ancestors took this land by bloodshed.

Pretty much every nation has been formed through bloodshed. It's not a uniquely American thing.

Pretty much every nation has been formed through bloodshed. It's not a uniquely American thing.

It's complete hypocrisy. Doesn't matter how many other countries do it. I look at how people talk about immigrants thirsting to kill and pillage the nation and Muslims scheming to enact Sharia Law over America and I can't help but to notice the grand irony given what was done to the natives of this country.

It's always the slimeballs who don't remember how they got where they are that get paranoid over their way of life being usurped. It's like being responsible for one of the actual examples of immigrants destroying a seated society caused a social projection that lasted through the generations.

Karkador

Banned

I think the point is that these immigrants aren't shedding our blood to be on this land. Ultimately, they are trying to assimilate into US dominion. Racists are trying to paint it as a war.

"Law is law is law" people often try to shift attention away from a simple and obvious fact. There is a difference between enforcing a law, and how it is enforced. Despite the way some seem to view the world, Judge Dredd is not reality. (Yet.)

The law is meant to serve humanity, not the other way around. In the case of a father with an ancient DUI who is a member of a community with a family, the sane and human thing to do would have been to inform the man that his residency status is in error and there are various fines or penalties that may be due. Then allow him a chance to correct it.

But no. Secret police stalk children to school and throw parents into vans to be whisked away to private prison black sites. People then rationalize that every single thing happening there is the fault of the person being treated like an animal.

100% this.

mr_nexus

Banned
Wow, everything about this is evil. ICE and people who support this should be ashamed of themselves but we know they have no shame.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
We really need to protest his treatment, as a focal point for our overall resistance to these inhuman acts. His is one of countless examples of where we as a country could live up to our ideals hut have wholly failed to do so. This is what fearful xenophobia brings.

Edit: Holy shit, as I posted that the ad at the bottom of the page showed the racist Cleveland Indians mascot. I can't even

CazTGG

Briefly brought this up with some more conservative folks I know and the first question they had "were they illegal aliens?" before bringing up how their parents came here "the right way".

I cannot comprehend that being a person's first reaction to this story.

Arresting the guy a block before he dropped his daughter off at school is a statement of intent, apart from the deportation itself. That's a signal from those ICE officers that no mercy will be afforded to anyone they intend to detain.

One thing missing from the article in OP is that the father had an outstanding order of removal (deportation) dating back from 2014.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/03/us/california-father-ice-arrest-trnd/index.html

CNN said:
ICE said in a statement that Avelica was arrested because he has "multiple prior criminal convictions, including a DUI in 2009, as well an outstanding order of removal dating back to 2014."

The ICE statement said members of a Los Angeles-based fugitive operations team conducted surveillance to confirm Avelica's identity before arresting him near a charter school.

Now of course you can debate whether a 5 year old DUI is grounds for deportation (DUI in 2009, deportation order in 2014) and whether ICE should be executing 3 year old deportation orders but this was not a case of Trump randomly triggering deportations on random undocumented immigrants. It also looks extremely shitty arresting someone in front of their children who does not seem to pose any violent, immediate threat.

The 2014 deportation order was also done under the Obama administration. Trump's EO removing some of the restrictions on deportation probably triggered this case meeting the threshold, although since it was an existing order of removal I'm not really sure.

Nipo

I'd be ok deporting everyone who drives under the influence. Unfortunately the law is unequal in this area as well and we have to let citizens stay.

Caja 117

One thing missing from the article in OP is that the father had an outstanding order of removal (deportation) dating back from 2014.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/03/us/california-father-ice-arrest-trnd/index.html

Now of course you can debate whether a 5 year old DUI is grounds for deportation (DUI in 2009, deportation order in 2014) and whether ICE should be executing 3 year old deportation orders but this was not a case of Trump randomly triggering deportations on random undocumented immigrants. It also looks extremely shitty arresting someone in front of their children who does not seem to pose any violent, immediate threat.

The 2014 deportation order was also done under the Obama administration. Trump's EO removing some of the restrictions on deportation probably triggered this case meeting the threshold, although since it was an existing order of removal I'm not really sure.

No one here believes is Trump making this order, is rather racists are empowered because Trump is in power and thus ICE will act more relentlessly, Obama presidency isn't without fault on deportations, but now you have Racist/Xenophobic in charge so this make other racist be more bold.

As someone who's had to deal with ICE employees to defend my clients, pretty much every single one has been a massive ass. When you talk to them, it's usually about 5 seconds flat before they start with the aggressive threats. I guess you pretty much have to be to enjoy the job.

Of course they could have scheduled to have the father turn himself in or do it at another location, but you have to understand ICE agents fucking love doing this. They absolutely purposefully chose to do this at school primarily because they know that the school in question has many undocumented people or children of undocumented people. They believe that deporting people in this way provides maximum deterrence effect.

Havoc2049

I came to this country on a tourist visa, fell in love with someone here, overstay my visa because I wanted to be with this person we end up marrying but we didn't have the resources to get my papers, I never in my life have being arrested nor have i committed any crimes, Before I moved here I held a high ranking position at one of the biggest bank in the planet, yet here I had to get Job that didn't fit my real abilities.

You talk about we dont get punishment for being here "illegally", How about leaving in fear every day to get deported? how about as it happened to me, with no Medical Insurance I had to tough out every time i got sick, once I got into a car accident and had to endure the pain of broken ribs for a month or so, I got lucky, because all of my family from my father side lives in this country, So I had people to comfort me.

In my case I never planed to leave my life I had in my other country, but this happened, and based and what you said, I should had been sent back to my country, because in your mind I don't belong here.

Why didn't you leave the US while you were still in legal status and have your fiancé(e) apply for a K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa so that you could come back into the country legally and get married? Tens of thousands of people do it every year and the process is fairly easy and quick and doesn't cost that much. Now you are screwed, out of status and in the US illegally. Seek the advice of a good immigration attorney and see if you can get legal somehow, although now you are in a much more complicated situation.

You have to be a special kind of heartless to be working at ICE.

A friend of my wife's used to work for them. She worked there for about a year before transferring to a different agency.

She said they'd separate kids from their parents frequently to break them down, and she was once reprimanded because she gave water to a detainee who had not been given water or food for 8+ hours.

Seems systemic. They don't think of non-US citizens as human.

StarVigil

I have a question: What are other people in the same situation "supposed" to do? Are they expected to simply leave go to the country they came from? How would that even work? What happens to the people who are deported? You can't simply deport millions of people, you need to have a process.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have a question: What are other people in the same situation "supposed" to do? Are they expected to simply leave go to the country they came from? How would that even work? What happens to the people who are deported? You can't simply deport millions of people, you need to have a process.

They are literally expected to just vanish and stop being a bother. That this is completely impractical with 11 million people doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom