• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feds to target newspapers, radio for medical marijuana ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

Federal prosecutors are preparing to target newspapers, radio stations and other media outlets that advertise medical marijuana dispensaries in California, another escalation in the Obama administration's newly invigorated war against the state's pot industry.

This month, U.S. attorneys representing four districts in California announced that the government would single out landlords and property owners who rent buildings or land where dispensaries sell or cultivators grow marijuana. Now, newspapers and other media outlets could be next.

U.S. Attorney Laura E. Duffy, whose district includes Imperial and San Diego counties, said marijuana advertising is the next area she's "going to be moving onto as part of the enforcement efforts in Southern California." Duffy said she could not speak for the three other U.S. attorneys covering the state but noted their efforts have been coordinated so far.

"I'm not just seeing print advertising," Duffy said in an interview with California Watch and KQED. "I'm actually hearing radio and seeing TV advertising. It's gone mainstream. Not only is it inappropriate – one has to wonder what kind of message we're sending to our children – it's against the law."

Federal law prohibits people from placing ads for illegal drugs, including marijuana, in "any newspaper, magazine, handbill or other publication." The law could conceivably extend to online ads; the U.S. Department of Justice recently extracted a $500 million settlement from Google for selling illegal ads linking to online Canadian pharmacies.

Duffy said her effort against TV, radio or print outlets would first include "going after these folks with ... notification that they are in violation of federal law." She noted that she also has the power to seize property or prosecute in civil and criminal court.

William G. Panzer, an attorney who specializes in marijuana defense cases, said publishers may have a reason to worry. Federal law singles out anyone who "places" an illegal ad in a newspaper or publication. Nevertheless, Panzer said he is not aware of a single appellate case dealing with this section of the law.

"Technically, if I'm running the newspaper and somebody gives me money and says, 'Here's the ad,' I'm the one who is physically putting the ad in my newspaper," he said. "I think this could be brought against the actual newspaper. Certainly, it's arguable, but the statute is not entirely clear on that."

Panzer said the penalty for a first offense is a maximum four years in prison and eight years for someone with a prior felony conviction.

In the federal law, an exception is made for ads that advocate the use of illegal drugs but don't explicitly offer them for sale or distribution. Newspapers, Panzer said, could argue that they have a right under the First Amendment to run the ads, and any "prior restraint" before publication is itself illegal.

Duffy said she believes the law gives her the right to prosecute newspaper publishers or TV station owners.

"If I own a newspaper ... or I own a TV station, and I'm going to take in your money to place these ads, I'm the person who is placing these ads," Duffy said. "I am willing to read (the law) expansively and if a court wants to more narrowly define it, that would be up to the court."

Seven states, including California, allow for medical marijuana to be distributed in dispensaries, though more than 200 California cities and nearly two dozen counties have bans or moratoriums in place on storefront pot businesses. The industry has otherwise exploded in recent years, including a marked increase in delivery services.

Ngaio Bealum, publisher of West Coast Cannabis, described as "the Sunset magazine of weed," said he receives a significant portion of his revenue from dispensary ads, though he has tough competition from alternative newspapers and even The Sacramento Bee, which began running print advertisements for dispensaries this year.

Bealum said it was "misguided for the Department of Justice to come after people who are following state law and doing well for the economy in a recession." He disputed the notion that marijuana ads target children.

"We're just in doctor's offices and cannabis collectives, where you have to be 18 years old or where you have to be a patient," he said. "We're not targeting anyone but cannabis patients."

Duffy said Proposition 215, also known as the Compassionate Use Act, passed by California voters in 1996 has transformed from an effort to supply marijuana to sick people through nonprofit groups into a profit-making industry. She said the advertising is part of that – and "it's illegal."

Duffy said she's seen marijuana stores advertise coupons, bring-a-friend deals, extra samples for buying a certain amount of marijuana, magazines devoted entirely to the industry, T-shirts for sale, marijuana linked to video games – all things, she said, "in large part directed at our youth and children."

"The good intentions behind that law," she said, "have almost completely been taken over by people who are trying to use that permission law to get rich, to distribute marijuana and traffic drugs to people who aren't sick, to our youth and to people who are using drugs on a recreational basis."

It's clear that alternative newspapers throughout the state have benefited from the increased business, even as other advertising sources have dwindled.

In April, the Sacramento News & Review published a special supplement devoted exclusively to marijuana dispensaries. "This year’s edition includes more than 100 regional medical-cannabis dispensaries, physicians, and med-delivery and hydroponics shops for the 2011 Green Pages," the newspaper wrote. Marijuana dispensary ads, which can cost $2,000 for a full page, allowed the News & Review to hire additional reporters.

"I don’t see how the News & Review running medical-marijuana ads is any different from TV stations running massive amounts of commercials for pharmaceutical companies selling drugs," Jeff vonKaenel, CEO and majority owner of the News & Review, wrote in a May 2010 column about the advertising.

In an interview about Duffy's statement, vonKaenel said he was "stunned by that interpretation of the First Amendment." He said his publications "receive quite a bit of revenue from (dispensaries) and it would have a detrimental impact" if he was forced to stop publishing the ads.

Panzer said he doesn't think the federal government can effectively shut down the marijuana industry, even if it makes short-term gains by targeting high-profile dispensaries and newspapers. Given the government's lack of resources and the huge size of the marijuana industry, Panzer said officials' efforts are "a losing proposition."

"The government is trying to put the genie back in the bottle," Panzer said.

Circumventing the law on advertising the sale of illegal drugs can bring expensive consequences. In August, Google agreed to pay a $500 million settlement for accepting illegal advertisements from online Canadian pharmacies. Employees of the company had been working with pharmacies to bypass Google's own internal controls, even as Google executives testified before Congress, claiming the company had clamped down on the illegal ads.

The fine was one of the largest ever from a U.S. company. At the time of the settlement, Google said in a statement that "it's obvious with hindsight that we shouldn't have allowed these ads on Google in the first place."

California is not the only state struggling with the issue of marijuana ads. In Colorado, the city of Boulder recently voted to ban medical marijuana ads that target young people or recreational users. Now, the city clerk will decide if the tone of the ads crosses the line.

The federal government's recent crackdown on the marijuana industry coincides with a February 2011 memorandum written by the state’s four top federal prosecutors, outlining a uniform approach to enforcing federal marijuana laws in California. The document, reviewed by California Watch, places an emphasis on federal investigations that target “leaders and organizers of the criminal activity as opposed to lower-level workers.”

The memorandum sets thresholds that make investigations more likely to be prosecuted. Those include distributors caught with at least 200 kilograms of marijuana, including distribution near schools, playgrounds and colleges; cultivators with gardens of at least 1,000 plants that are not on federal land and at least 500 plants on federal or tribal land or where there is significant damage; and dispensaries that sell more than 200 kilograms or 1,000 plants annually.

Story here

As long as the dispensary is complying with state law in the way they offer their products the federal government should continue to fuck off but it seems like they're just cracking down harder.

Funky Papa said:
When did LEGAL pot become such a big fucking problem?
Crack down on drugs, in any form, has always been the best policy to get votes.

Blame that on our stupid system, but right now the easiest place to make it look like to you did something is California State Marijuana.

Grinchy

Banned
It should be up to the state. Fuck off, federal government. Don't you have more important shit to worry about?

Does anyone have any solid #'s on the amount of dispesaries in the state of California there are? I'm just curious ... because it seems like it would take a lot of manpower for LA county alone. But all the states and all the states dispensaries? Seems like an impossibility.

Fenderputty said:
Does anyone have any solid #'s on the amount of dispesaries in the state of California there are? I'm just curious ... because it seems like it would take a lot of manpower for LA county alone. But all the states and all the states dispensaries? Seems like an impossibility.

Theres 50+ in my area alone, although theres only supposed to be 3 by the city code.

I know there were upwards of 150 in the LA area, although quite a few were raided.

SF has, 20-50 legit I think.

Weedmaps is my recomendation if you really want some solid info. Or NORML.

Man I really want all this prohbition to end, it is such a farce, its feeding the industrial-prison complex while overcrowding prisons with non-violent offenders who turn violent. In my view, its utterly fucked, big pharma can go fuck themselves.

Fenderputty said:

I pass about 3 on my way to work every morning. I work in West Hollywood

Fairly bullshit. Medicinal Marijuana is something that should be regulated on a state level, not a national level.

Although admittedly, medicinal marijuana is something you shouldn't have to advertise. Your doctor should tell you where to get it.

VASPER

Banned
All i can say is that i feel a great amount of anger for the GOV in this country. Why not crack down on the METH. FUCK YOU BIG GOVERNMENT.

AbsoluteZero said:
Fairly bullshit. Medicinal Marijuana is something that should be regulated on a state level, not a national level.

Although admittedly, medicinal marijuana is something you shouldn't have to advertise. Your doctor should tell you where to get it.

why can Zoloft advertise but not marijuana? where's the consistency?

Megalodactyl said:
Theres 50+ in my area alone, although theres only supposed to be 3 by the city code.
There wouldn't be that many if there wasn't a demand for it. I really don't understand the fight against legal, doctor recommended medicine. Tax that shit like certain cities do and open up more revenue streams for the state. To cut of a billion dollar industry that could easily be taken advantage of, is just lunacy. But oh, won't somebody please think of the children!

Pot is, after all, California's biggest cash crop, responsible for $14 billion a year in sales, dwarfing the state's second largest agricultural commodity — milk and cream — which brings in $7.3 billion a year, according to the most recent USDA statistics. The state's tax collectors estimate the bill would bring in about $1.3 billion a year in much needed revenue, offsetting some of the billions of dollars in service cuts and spending reductions outlined in the recently approved state budget.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1884956,00.html#ixzz1ablVwOLE

Let's just cut that shit off at the knees to an already hurting state. Great idea!

leadbelly

Banned
Yep. They're going to go around the offices with baseball bats and threaten to smash the place up.

"Only the feds are allowed to sell marijuana around here!".

Dude Abides

Banned
Funky Papa said:
When did LEGAL pot become such a big fucking problem?

I believe another pharma company is getting close to putting a THC extract on the market.

AbsoluteZero said:

That's not the way medicine works in America. You have to have ads so patients will ask their doctors for whatever you're peddling.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Darkshier said:
There wouldn't be that many if there wasn't a demand for it. I really don't understand the fight against legal, doctor recommended medicine. Tax that shit like certain cities do and open up more revenue streams for the state. To cut of a billion dollar industry that could easily be taken advantage of, is just lunacy. But oh, won't somebody please think of the children!

dont forget the strain legalization would put on mexican cartels

we dont wanna actually work towards fixing mexicos problems though

Previous

check out my new Swatch
perfectchaos007 said:
why can Zoloft advertise but not marijuana? where's the consistency?
Zoloft has no non-medical use?
But yeah the feds need to back off, if they wanted to stop it they should have done something the moment it passed state law makers.

Grinchy

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:

I know people are going to jump all over you anyway, but I kind of agree.

No drugs should be advertised. There are tons of commercials for drugs on television. "Do you have 2 legs and 2 arms? You might need celebrex!" When really, you should just go to your doctor and have him tell you what you need. Going to a doctor to tell him you need a drug you saw on TV is so ridiculous.

Until it becomes illegal to advertise drugs, these places should probably be allowed to advertise too. (IMO of course)

Why aren't the feds targeting gay weddings in states where gay marriage is legal? I mean, there are other ways for the federal government to let Americans know that their states have no rights whatsoever.

Gaborn

Previous said:
But yeah the feds need to back off, if they wanted to stop it they should have done something the moment it passed state law makers.

ANY drug can be abused.

VASPER said:
All i can say is that i feel a great amount of anger for the GOV in this country. Why not crack down on the METH. FUCK YOU BIG GOVERNMENT.

Yeah, theres a fucking real problem! A substance that litterally DESTROYS people, compared to something that has been used for most of human history (and by the founders of this country) that is proven to alleviate many common ailments.

/end MJ rant

Grinchy said:

No drugs should be advertised. There are tons of commercials for drugs on television. "Do you have 2 legs and 2 arms? You might need celebrex!" When really, you should just go to your doctor and have him tell you what you need. Going to a doctor to tell him you need a drug you saw on TV is so ridiculous.

Until it becomes illegal to advertise drugs, these places should probably be allowed to advertise too. (IMO of course)

I agree with you, Big Pharma is way out of control, most of the shit they make gives you so many side effects. I'm all for the advancement of medicine, but I do not think it should be as big a business it is.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Dude Abides said:
I believe another pharma company is getting close to putting a THC extract on the market.

That's not the way medicine works in America. You have to have ads so patients will ask their doctors for whatever you're peddling.
Shouldn't that be illegal since the reason Marijuana is illegal is because they classify THC as an illegal substance?

Previous said:

both Zoloft and Marijuana have medical use. both are legal in california for those who have prescriptions. why can't they both advertise?

Why don't the feds grow some real balls and ask cities like Oakland, Berkeley and Hercules to give up their tax dollars that they are reaping on medical marijuana. I mean, that is illegal drug money right? I am sure that would go over really well.

Grinchy said:

Grinchy, I appreciate the fact that someone agrees with me for once, but I do apologize for the shitstorm you may have gotten yourself into.

God speed.

This aggression will not stand. Do our politicians have no morals at all?

Clearly they don't. Weed doesn't ruin lives, drug laws do.

Megalodactyl said:

Exactly. It seems like this is a broad scare tactic. Maybe some will just shut down because of it. I doubt it though. They are all over the place.

Dude Abides said:

Really? Prior to this post I had heard labs hadn't produced good results when trying to reproduce THC chemically.

Although I do know Pharma companies are a large contributor towards the anti-lagalization movments. It makes sense for them to push against the legalization of something they can't patent like they can something produced in a lab.

Karma Kramer said:
This aggression will not stand. Do our politicians have no morals at all?

Clearly they don't. Weed doesn't ruin lives, drug laws do.

The problem is they think this is moral. They are saving the lives of millions by heroically taking down evil marijuana which is the gateway drug of meth, heroine, adultery, and atheism.

I believe that is the mentality. Thats what I grew up to believe anyway before I informed myself...

Dude Abides

Banned
Trojita said:
Shouldn't that be illegal since the reason Marijuana is illegal is because they classify THC as an illegal substance?

No, schedule III drugs, which the pills/spray/whatever would be, are ok if prescribed. MJ is a schedule I, which means has no approved medical use and very very dangerous so it's illegal as far as the feds are concerned.

hyp

so our president, a former pothead wants to waste more taxpayer money on stupid shit like this?

fuck this country sometimes.

Jenga

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
The problem is they think this is moral. They are saving the lives of millions by heroically taking down evil marijuana which is the gateway drug of meth, heroine, adultery, and atheism.

I believe that is the mentality. Thats what I grew up to believe anyway before I informed myself...
no, but supporting ron paul is the path to creationism in schools

Jenga

Banned
hyp said:
so our president, a former pothead wants to waste more taxpayer money on stupid shit like this?

fuck this country sometimes.
well he also used to do cocaine

why not legalize cocaine obama hussein?! NOBAMA

Gaborn

Jenga said:
no, but supporting ron paul is the path to creationism in schools

Technically Ron Paul supports eliminating the Federal Government's role in education and eliminating the DOE so I don't think this is correct.

I do agree with you though, cocaine should be legal.

perfectchaos007 said:

Bullshit, if they were at all educated they would know those arguments against marijuana are ridiculous.

Seriously step outside the box for a second, away from all the arguments, away from DARE, away from the history, and ask yourself if you would throw some college kids in prison for growing marijuana.

prison051707.jpg

There is no moral justification for this. Marijuana laws are not laws to keep the country safe, they are there to keep minorities and poor people oppressed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is Obama really behind this? He's got to realize how many of his supporters are also pro-marijuana legalization, or at least for legal marijuana existing in some form.

Jenga

Banned
Gaborn said:
Technically Ron Paul supports eliminating the Federal Government's role in education and eliminating the DOE so I don't think this is correct.

I do agree with you though, cocaine should be legal.
good thing he has absolutely no chance of winning anything sheesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom