• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feds to target newspapers, radio for medical marijuana ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenak said:
Because there are more important things to worry about. If you see Obama as the lesser of two evils, not voting for him won't be helping anybody.
In a shitty economy, in a state that is cash strapped and with a huge unemployment rate, there are more important things to worry about than the states largest cash crop which produces sales over $14 billion per year? Really? Regulating and taxing marijuana would lead to instant revenues and create jobs. But there are more important things to worry about? Again, really?

Let me quote this again for the new page...

Pot is, after all, California's biggest cash crop, responsible for $14 billion a year in sales, dwarfing the state's second largest agricultural commodity — milk and cream — which brings in $7.3 billion a year, according to the most recent USDA statistics. The state's tax collectors estimate the bill would bring in about $1.3 billion a year in much needed revenue, offsetting some of the billions of dollars in service cuts and spending reductions outlined in the recently approved state budget.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1884956,00.html#ixzz1ad3CfEiN

UrokeJoe

I love alcohol. I love good beer, I love good wine, bourbon, and scotch.... Would never want to give up any of them, but that said?? Smoking weed is a safer alternative and we would all be better off if it was legal and alcohol wasn't.

Cue prohibition

Gaborn

UrokeJoe said:
I love alcohol. I love good beer, I love good wine, bourbon, and scotch.... Would never want to give up any of them, but that said?? Smoking weed is a safer alternative and we would all be better off if it was legal and alcohol wasn't.

You realize that was the case during prohibition, right? And it... well, it didn't go well.

edit: and yes, you called it. Of course I'm going to bring up prohibition because marijuana was legal during it and alcohol was not. Prohibition does not work and will not work.

UrokeJoe

Gaborn said:
You realize that was the case during prohibition, right? And it... well, it didn't go well.

edit: and yes, you called it. Of course I'm going to bring up prohibition because marijuana was legal during it and alcohol was not. Prohibition does not work and will not work.

sorry didn't edit fast enough. Yes

I'm more of the mind that if a more evil vice is legal.. the less should be as well. Can of worms some may say, but really come on...

Gaborn said:

capone3.jpg

Gaborn

UrokeJoe said:
sorry didn't edit fast enough. Yes

I'm more of the mind that if a more evil vice is legal.. the less should be as well. Can of worms some may say, but really come on...

Eh, I don't personally see them as vices. They're choices people make. Personally? I rarely drink and never really get what you could call "drunk" and I don't use drugs of any sort. I just don't care to tell others what to do with their body and I don't think the government should be doing so either.

UrokeJoe

Gaborn said:
Eh, I don't personally see them as vices. They're choices people make. Personally? I rarely drink and never really get what you could call "drunk" and I don't use drugs of any sort. I just don't care to tell others what to do with their body and I don't think the government should be doing so either.

Reminds me of one of my favorite Devo songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVGINIsLnqU

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Previous said:
Zoloft has no non-medical use?
But yeah the feds need to back off, if they wanted to stop it they should have done something the moment it passed state law makers.
Vicodin does. Maybe we should crack down on vicodin.

Gaborn said:

I've never thought about perception of marijuana that far back. Was it widely used? I mean, was it legal as in technically there wasn't a law about it but there didn't really have to be since no one used it anyway, or was it legal as in people who cared to could smoke while they walked their dog?

dr3upmushroom said:
I've never thought about perception of marijuana that far back. Was it widely used? I mean, was it legal as in technically there wasn't a law about it but there didn't really have to be since no one used it anyway, or was it legal as in people who cared to could smoke while they walked their dog?

Around the time of prohibition it was considered a drug more commonly used by minorities and those on the lower end of the socioeconomic scale. It was very common among Jazz musicians and artists and the like IIRC. It was also the subject of a number of trashy novels with even trashier characters but I may have my decades mixed on the novel part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom