• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feds to target newspapers, radio for medical marijuana ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zefah said:
Is Obama really behind this? He's got to realize how many of his supporters are also pro-marijuana legalization, or at least for legal marijuana existing in some form.

He's not worried, he figures they'll all be too high to remember to vote anyway

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Zefah said:
Is Obama really behind this? He's got to realize how many of his supporters are also pro-marijuana legalization, or at least for legal marijuana existing in some form.
Obama's the person that laughs when the topic of legalization comes up. He doesn't give a shit.

I live in Sacramento, which last I check is like the human trafficking capital of the country, and in the weird free papers you get around town with all the weed ads, there's a bunch of just super fucking shady ads for "massage parlors" with gross, fetishistic pictures of young-looking Asian women and the like. Good to know the weed ads will soon be gone!

Karma Kramer said:
Bullshit, if they were at all educated they would know those arguments against marijuana are ridiculous.

Seriously step outside the box for a second, away from all the arguments, away from DARE, away from the history, and ask yourself if you would throw some college kids in prison for growing marijuana.

There is no moral justification for this. Marijuana laws are not laws to keep the country safe, they are there to keep minorities and poor people oppressed.

I don't think that's the only driving factor. I also believe that they vote in a way that would get them re-elected, not in a way they know is right. If a republican congressman in far right Missouri speaks out against feds targeting dispensaries in California, suddenly he can be labeled as pro marijuana by his opponent, and even though he is informed, his district may be in an uninformed area where marijuana has a huge stigma that goes with it.

Fuck anybody who is against marijuana legalization. This is one issue where I have no problem saying that the opposing side is just WRONG, with absolutely no legitimate justification for their position. I believed this long before I'd ever even tried it, so I laugh at any "LOL potheads" comments that might get made.

I actually believe that all drugs should be legalized, but I realize that as a losing cause for probably a very long time. Still, it's hard to argue against corporeal sovereignty.

perfectchaos007 said:
I don't think that's the only driving factor. I also believe that they vote in a way that would get them re-elected, not in a way they know is right. If a republican congressman in far right Missouri speaks out against feds targeting dispensaries in California, suddenly he can be labeled as pro marijuana by his opponent, and even though he is informed, his district may be in an uninformed area where marijuana has a huge stigma that goes with it.

Still immoral. Think about it again... throw people in jail for growing marijuana so you can get elected.... How selfish, I mean seriously.

I will oppress people so I can win election. Yee hawww!

Karma Kramer said:
Still immoral. Think about it again... throw people in jail for growing marijuana so you can get elected.... How selfish, I mean seriously.

I will oppress people so I can win election. Yee hawww!

I never said it was moral, I'm just saying it probably happens. a lot

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am generally for the legalization of marijuana, but still worry about air quality in dense urban areas. Surely any law would prohibit any public smoking of it, but I doubt that would stop most people from toking up wherever they please, and I certainly don't want to get a buzz from simply walking past a bus stop.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Zefah said:
I am generally for the legalization of marijuana, but still worry about air quality in dense urban areas. Surely any law would prohibit any public smoking of it, but I doubt that would stop most people from toking up wherever they please, and I certainly don't want to get a buzz from simply walking past a bus stop.

thats not how it works

I personally haven't smoked in years but this is all kinds of bullshit. People here have been pretty happy having a nice, accessible, and legal way to get their weed. This is just making it so people will have to go through shady routes again.

Way to support the criminals federal government.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
superpickleman said:
I personally haven't smoked in years but this is all kinds of bullshit. People here have been pretty happy having a nice, accessible, and legal way to get their weed. This is just making it so people will have to go through shady routes again.

Way to support the criminals federal government.

dont worry about it, the government will eventually bust all those shady dealers too

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
sans_pants said:
thats not how it works

It kind of is, actually. People who aren't pot smokers can get a light buzz just from brief contact with the smoke. Nothing serious, but still annoying if you're not looking for the sensation.

Zefah said:
It kind of is, actually. People who aren't pot smokers can get a light buzz just from brief contact with the smoke. Nothing serious, but still annoying if you're not looking for the sensation.

Passive smoking from cigarettes (second hand smoking) kills more people than regular smoking of marijuana. I understand what you are saying and I imagine smoking pot if legal would follow the same cigarette laws

BigBoss said:
Big Pharma is preparing to take over the legal pot business so the feds are shutting down any possible competition.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/04/20/big-pharma-set-to-take-over-medical-marijuana-market/

ARTICLE said:
Sativex is the brand name for a drug derived from cannabis sativa. It’s an extract from the whole plant cannabis, not a synthetic compound. Even GW defines the drug (.pdf) as marijuana.

Can an extract be patented like a chemical compound? Or would the process of extraction be patented?

Suairyu

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
why can Zoloft advertise but not marijuana? where's the consistency?
The ability for any prescription-only drug to be advertised is pretty stupid, to be honest.

Reminds me of the ads from a certain rock station here in Oregon out of Grants Pass, if it's not for dispensaries, it's for "smoke shops" selling "everything you need" (pipes, blunt wraps. weights, etc.), for meetings of groups offering information on Oregon's medical marijuana laws (usually including a show by some reggae pot band* and doctors on hand to set you up with an appointment) or newsletters about the same, hell there's even a "hydroponics/gardening" store whose ad says (I shit you not) "Regardless of whether you grow your crop in a field, your backyard, or in the woods, we have everything you need for a successful harvest at [store name]!" I'm shocked the type of shit they get away with on the radio ads on this station. One of the smoke shops (that doubles as a glass blowing supply shop)has a pair of Cheech and Chong soundalikes who do the ads (the place is named "Pipe Dreams" with the catchphrase "The Glass that kicks Ass!").

*I like reggae, that's not a diss to that genre of music, these bands are pretty much centered around songs for MJ and it's pretty much all they do.

I see some weird ass Pot club commercials on Kofy TV in the Bay Area. There's a green background, a white van with marijuana leafs all over it and I think the voiceover mentions helping out individuals in need of their services.

Tideas

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Why aren't the feds targeting gay weddings in states where gay marriage is legal? I mean, there are other ways for the federal government to let Americans know that their states have no rights whatsoever.

the idea of state's rights in these days and age is silly. everyone should look out for the country, not just their state

Tideas said:
the idea of state's rights in these days and age is silly. everyone should look out for the country, not just their state
It's not silly when the federal government is so horribly wrong on an issue. Like they are with drugs. And you know, when the constitution enshrines the structure of a balance of power between the states and the federal government. If you don't like it, amend it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sigh...big pharma and the government in bed fucking over innocent civilians. What else is new?

Grinchy

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Passive smoking from cigarettes (second hand smoking) kills more people than regular smoking of marijuana. I understand what you are saying and I imagine smoking pot if legal would follow the same cigarette laws
I hope it doesn't go that way if it is ever legalized.

It should be regulated in a similar manner to alcohol. In most areas, public intoxication is against the law. Weed should be legal, but IMO that doesn't mean people should be allowed to sit around outside getting high all day. Do it in your home or in a weed-related business (like a weed bar for lack of a better term).

Grinchy said:

It should be regulated in a similar manner to alcohol. In most areas, public intoxication is against the law. Weed should be legal, but IMO that doesn't mean people should be allowed to sit around outside getting high all day. Do it in your home or in a weed-related business (like a weed bar for lack of a better term).

I guess... big picture if its legal I don't really care too much about regulation of use.

Gaborn

Grinchy said:

What about brownies and other baked goods? I mean if the concern is patrons of a business that's one thing (though in that case I think there should be some restaurants cigarette smokers are allowed to light up in if you support "weed bars") but just as alcohol drinking in a restaurant doesn't typically harm other customers consuming products containing THC doesn't have to disturb others either.

Grinchy

Banned
Gaborn said:
What about brownies and other baked goods? I mean if the concern is patrons of a business that's one thing (though in that case I think there should be some restaurants cigarette smokers are allowed to light up in if you support "weed bars") but just as alcohol drinking in a restaurant doesn't typically harm other customers consuming products containing THC doesn't have to disturb others either.
Yeah that's exactly what I meant. Anywhere you could drink alcohol, you could consume cannabis. Unless the business itself doesn't support it (which is how alcohol works and how cigarette smoking should work). In my state, the government decided that it's not up to the business owner to have a smoking or non-smoking building. That's horseshit.

But I really don't feel that people should be allowed to freely do drugs in public unless the area decided it's allowed (like in Vegas). I'm only talking about recreational use, of course.

Izayoi

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
reminds me of the marijuana/advil comparison Katt Williams made. "You can't die from smokin weed but I guarantee you that if you take 16 advil it will be your last headache!"
That's bullshit though.

I've had a handful of Advil before and I'm still (mostly) alive.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Grinchy said:
Yeah that's exactly what I meant. Anywhere you could drink alcohol, you could consume cannabis. Unless the business itself doesn't support it (which is how alcohol works and how cigarette smoking should work). In my state, the government decided that it's not up to the business owner to have a smoking or non-smoking building. That's horseshit.

But I really don't feel that people should be allowed to freely do drugs in public unless the area decided it's allowed (like in Vegas). I'm only talking about recreational use, of course.

im ok with that but we should also be able to smoke on our own property

KingK

What's the public opinion regarding marijuana use these days, and is there a trend it's been following? I'm wondering if it'll ever be legalized in my lifetime.

I would love to be able to walk into a store and legally buy some pot some day.

edit: Found this Gallup poll from 2009
Xrzar.gif

Here's a more detailed breakdown. It looks like it'll still be at least a decade until legalization on the national level. Probably more.

KingK

^^thanks anyway.

The sad part is that, even when public opinion eventually passes the 50% mark, the influence of big tobacco, alcohol, and pharmaceutical companies will still hold it back for years. Plus you have to assume that any legalization would stall in the senate because of Midwestern and Southern senators blocking it until opinion in those regions improves. The Midwest still has 64% opposed to legalization as of that 2009 poll.

Apath

innervision961 said:
fine Obama I get it, I won't vote for you... Jeez.
That's where you draw the line, with pot? I love pot and believe it should be legal, but there are so many more important issues that this doesn't even register on the "bunch of little things" scale.

Kenak said:
That's where you draw the line, with pot? I love pot and believe it should be legal, but there are so many more important issues that this doesn't even register on the "bunch of little things" scale.

Why is it absurd to make the moral judgement that Obama does not care about hope/change, does not care about poor people and minorities, does not care about the violence and aggression taking place in Mexico, and conclude Obama is not really looking out for their best interests? I understand the temptation to pick the lesser of two evils, but what progress can we possibly hope for if we keep up the current face of "democracy."

Apath

Karma Kramer said:
Why is it absurd to make the moral judgement that Obama does not care about hope/change, does not care about poor people and minorities, does not care about the violence and aggression taking place in Mexico, and conclude Obama is not really looking out for their best interests? I understand the temptation to pick the lesser of two evils, but what progress can we possibly hope for if we keep up the current face of "democracy."
Because there are more important things to worry about. If you see Obama as the lesser of two evils, not voting for him won't be helping anybody.

Gaborn

X-Frame said:
What would it take for the government to ban cigarettes/cigars/tobacco?

Is it impossible?

Are you REALLY sure you want that? Have you learned NOTHING from the drug war/alcohol prohibition? Why the fuck do you want to create a black market for yet another substance?

smoking pot makes you twice as likely to get schizo. well, either that or if you are schizo you are twice as likely to smoke pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom