• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feels like there's an increase of 3rd party Switch+Steam exclusive games in recent years

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It seems Nintendo Switch is quietly racking up more and more console exclusives in recent years. Some titles include

• Rune Factory 4
  • DAEMON X MACHINA
  • Harvestella
  • NEOGEO Pocket Color bundles
  • Baba is you
  • Blanc
  • WitchSpring 3
  • BZZZT
  • Needy Streamer Overload
  • Fate/Stay Night Remastered
  • Deadly Premonition 2
  • Baten Kaitos 1 & 2 HD
  • Dorfromantik
  • Into the Breach
  • Factorio
  • GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon
  • The Garden Path
  • World of Goo 2
  • Dragon Quest Treasures etc.
And earlier today Spy Drops was also announced for both of these platforms.

I think its neat that PC is not only having 1st party games from Xbox and Playstation, it is also having some Switch 3rd party console exclusives at the same time.

Last edited:

Sentenza

While it's true, it's usually the "small games" that are considered of too limited appeal to have other major console relesases.
Which is a barrier of entry that simply doesn't exist on PC, where basically everything goes.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, Switch dominates Japan with a de-facto monopoly due to no meaningful competition and also Japan has adopted PC as their new AAA machine, most of the games you mentioned are japanese, so I think it's evident why Nintendo + PC exclusivity is becoming a big deal

Hell, my game is gonna be PC + Switch 2 when it releases (because at this pace I'll finish it in 2030 or something like that lol), I constantly see Switch being like the very first option for any indie dev on YouTube in the console space... I'm really wondering WTH is going on with Sony and MS, they feel like everything is just promises and barely any game, Sony was helped due to moneyhatting devs like SE and Stellar Blade devs but that's about it.

ArtHands

Some more examples include Aegis: The First Mission, Bravely Default 2, Needy Streamer Overload, 1000xRESIST, Mercenaries Saga series

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Some more examples include Aegis: The First Mission, Bravely Default 2, Needy Streamer Overload, 1000xRESIST, Mercenaries Saga series
Case of the Golden Idol and Neon White started this way too. Wouldnt be surprised to see 1000xRESIST hit GP in a year along with Lorelai.

Last edited:

Trilobit

It seems Nintendo Switch is quietly racking up more and more console exclusives in recent years. Some titles include Rune Factory 4, DAEMON X MACHINA, Harvestella, NEOGEO Pocket Color bundles, Baba is you, Blanc, Deadly Premonition 2, Baten Kaitos 1 & 2 HD, Dragon Quest Treasures etc. And earlier today Spy Drops was also announced for both of these platforms.

I think its neat that PC is not only having 1st party games from Xbox and Playstation, it is also having some Switch 3rd party console exclusives at the same time.

I hope Switch 2 is a bonanza of 3rd party games. Especially if it helps indies reach out to a wider audience. The more the better as long as it isn't junk.

I'm in the category that would never buy a "PC" handheld, but I'll probably get Nintendo's next one so even if the games can't compete with Steam Deck it's still nice to have them as options. I just hope N uses analog triggers this time. Racing games are unusable without them.

Last edited:

nial

Yes, PC gaming has been growing in the region these past few years, not sure if I would call that 'Japan adopting the platform as their new AAA machine'.
Why would arty let facts get in the way of him trolling.
I think framing this as a new trend for Nintendo is kind of weird considering the amount of FULL Japanese exclusives GB/GBC, GBA, DS, and 3DS had, plus some of these were obvious moneyhats (like Bravely Deafult 2).
Some more examples include Aegis: The First Mission
This is akin to including the PS4/PS5 re-release of the PSP version of Gods Eater Burst to prove some point about PlayStation, lol.

Last edited:

Woopah

Combination of Switch's strength in Japan and Nintendo doing deals.

SE is becoming more multiplatform, so we'll have to see if Nintendo can still get deals with other third parties in the future.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Love to see it. Hopefully Nintendo gets more aggressive and does more “console exclusive” deals with third parties for Switch 2.

Fbh

Well people on playstation and Xbox seem to mostly care about big AAA releases and the big F2P GAAS stuff. So it makes sense for these smaller, more niche titles to focus on the 2 platforms where we consistently hear about indies and AA stuff doing better

Switch owners buy games and their console install base is by far the largest

PC is of course by far the largest install base period even though most PC's aren't used for games

PS4/5 is a split install base, so you often need to release on both to get sales comparable to Switch

Xbox LOL

It's not rocket science, it's just capitalism

Last edited:

lestar

handhelds (Switch and Steamdeck) are the dominant platforms in Japan, you cannot play your PS4/5 on the train

IAmRei

Yea, i think in japan, i heard, there is also rising in steam as well. Its good for everyone, so they have options.

ArtHands

Just discovered some more Switch/Steam exclusives: Dorfromantik, Into the Breach, Factorio and GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon
SNK vs Capcom: The Match of the Millennium is also a Switch/Steam exclusive, unless you own the discontinued NGPC from 2 decades ago

Last edited:

Gp1

And another factor in this equation, it's best to publish on pc than risking pc players playing by other means.

Weird flex thread, most of those games barely sell any decent amounts.

They are cheap to make for sure and their ROI might be good, but is not good for the other 2 systems (PS and Xbox) since their user base wouldn’t buy them (a lot).

Gamepass used to be a dev paradise for indie games but that might change in the future.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Battle between handheld PC and Switch for the future of your dollars.

Microsoft are hinting at a handheld console in the near future and there is rumours of another proper Playstation handheld.

Nintendo took a massive gamble with the Switch, but it paid off. Now everyone is scrambling to get a piece of that handheld pie.

Kataploom

Gold Member
They are cheap to make for sure and their ROI might be good, but is not good for the other 2 systems (PS and Xbox) since their user base wouldn’t buy them (a lot).
That's the whole point, given the platforms and limited resources, they would rather put the games in the platforms they consider will sell them more copies.

Switch gave a lot of these games a real shot in the arm.

Not to mention that Steam, which already had a broad reach, got another boost from the Steam Deck and other PC-friendly handhelds.

This is Wii60 with some real overlap.

Top Bottom