• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Almost at 4900. For some reason I'm not recorded on the leaderboard; "You are not ranked in this leaderboard". wtf.

Edit: 5200+ and I'm on there now. How bizarre.

Got the game this morning and got past the intro only. Love how the intro literally shows
MIND BLOWN when you first shift your perspective from 2D to 3D.

GhaleonEB

A couple things, and some questions.

First, the intro was wonderful, if somewhat confusing. I honestly thought it had crashed; after reading reports of the crash bugs it kind of freaked me out. :lol

The whole introductory sequence, with the village and next area, were as well crafted a tutorial as I've seen; all the teaching seemed effortless and natural. Just a gradually cascading series of epiphanies.

The world map makes my head hurt. How? What?!

Do you ever gain the ability to jump higher? I've found a few areas now where I can't quite seem to make it to the top, to clear a certain jump, and can't proceed further. I move on, wondering if I'm supposed to come back later. Right now I'm at that area with the totem that won't let you rotate the perspective, and I can't quite get on top to snag that cube fragment. Can I?

I found a treasure map fragment. I have no idea what it means. Do their use become more self-apparent as I go?

Wonderful game.

Tawpgun

After you get 8 cubes and go into that city level, in the classroom it says there's a secret. What is it?

What's the deal with Warp Gates also? It says you can pick your destination, but I can't.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn, I just keep wandering into new worlds by just thinking, "lemme see where this door will take me"...

Very charming so far, a few hours into the game, it's everything I expected and beyond.

Do you ever gain the ability to jump higher? I've found a few areas now where I can't quite seem to make it to the top, to clear a certain jump, and can't proceed further. I move on, wondering if I'm supposed to come back later. Right now I'm at that area with the totem that won't let you rotate the perspective, and I can't quite get on top to snag that cube fragment. Can I?

i've yet to come across that particular bit but i'm sure you don't get an extension to your jumping powers.

I found a treasure map fragment. I have no idea what it means. Do their use become more self-apparent as I go?

i think/hope so, haha.

What the fuck is up with all the stuttering in this game? Five years in and they couldn't manage to pull off a consistently smooth framerate? Technical incompetency at its finest.

Beaulieu

A couple things, and some questions.

First, the intro was wonderful, if somewhat confusing. I honestly thought it had crashed; after reading reports of the crash bugs it kind of freaked me out. :lol

The whole introductory sequence, with the village and next area, were as well crafted a tutorial as I've seen; all the teaching seemed effortless and natural. Just a gradually cascading series of epiphanies.

The world map makes my head hurt. How? What?!

Wonderful game.

just play more and dont spoil yourself with those questions

bounchfx

played for 30 minutes during lunch.. freaking awesome intro. there's so many subtleties that higher budget games fail to ever capture. Can't wait to play more later. Impressed, would recommend.

GhaleonEB

just play more and dont spoil yourself with those questions

Asking how the world map works is a spoiler? I spent a few minutes with it and couldn't make heads or tails of it.

I also don't consider asking whether I'm supposed to clear areas sequentially a spoiler. I'm asking because I want to know the answer: if things appear just out of reach do I get unspecified ways to reach them later, or should I keep trying? Please just answer the question instead of telling me I don't want the answer. Believe me, I do. I'm not asking for specifics, I am inquiring about the structure of the game.

Fletcher

So I got out of first world and the map shows that I missed a couple of secrets. Will there be secrets that I won't be able to reach until I unlock a later ability? or am I just missing something?

edit: I think I'm asking the same question GhaleonEB is asking.

Just finished the game. Of course I haven't collected everything, but i saw the ending.

Everything about this game is awesome, except for the framerate and the crashing. Game crashed 4 times for me and stutters constantly.

Can't wait to hear people talk about the ending and especially the things that happen afterwards. :)

SPOILER
Deal with it.

Noogy

Put a couple hours into Fez. Yes, it is awesome.. what an enchanting world. Between this and Journey, I really feel like I'm losing myself in distant lands, which is my favorite thing about video games. It's rare these days for a game not called Elder Scrolls or Dark Souls to give me that feeling.

GhaleonEB

So I got out of first world and the map shows that I missed a couple of secrets. Will there be secrets that I won't be able to reach until I unlock a later ability? or am I just missing something?

edit: I think I'm asking the same question GhaleonEB is asking.

Yup. I just want to know if the game requires backtracking, or if it's possible to clear areas sequentially. I'm happy with either answer, but I'd like to know so I can plan accordingly (and not spend ages in an area that might not be possible to clear yet).

Daeda

Only ten anti-cubes left, but I seem to be somewhat stuck.. anyone have a hint about
Deciphering the alphabet, numbers and/or the fourth owl

Zeppelin

After you get 8 cubes and go into that city level, in the classroom it says there's a secret. What is it?

What's the deal with Warp Gates also? It says you can pick your destination, but I can't.

Initially you'll only have one destination. As you progress through the game you'll unlock more and you can then access them by spinning the world and using the warp gate from different directions.

Yup. I just want to know if the game requires backtracking, or if it's possible to clear areas sequentially. I'm happy with either answer, but I'd like to know so I can plan accordingly (and not spend ages in an area that might not be possible to clear yet).

It seems to me like there are some areas that you can't clear first time. Not because you don't have the abilities, but because you lack knowledge. So that area you were stuck at you can do something in now, because there's nothing to hold you back. But there are other areas where you might need to come back later. Like, there's a bell with some symbols on the side, and you'll probably need to know more about the symbols before you know what to do with the bell.

It's usually common sense, really. If you don't see anything like symbols or something around, there will often be *something* you can do.

usea

I think it's technically possible to clear stuff sequentially, but practically impossible since you won't know what to do. I'm fairly certain you don't gain any abilities that let you do things you couldn't do before.

Ridley327

Digging on the game so far (I think I'm at about 50% or thereabouts), but the performance is really shitty at times, especially in
the hub you reach by jumping on the mushrooms.
Virtually every room in this area will not load right away, so you end up watching the game zoom in, the level mysteriously disappearing just as soon as it zooms fully in, switching to a load screen for about 5 seconds, and then everything is back to normal. It seriously took five years for this game?

Digging on the game so far (I think I'm at about 50% or thereabouts), but the performance is really shitty at times, especially in
the hub you reach by jumping on the mushrooms.
Virtually every room in this area will not load right away, so you end up watching the game zoom in, the level mysteriously disappearing just as soon as it zooms fully in, switching to a load screen for about 5 seconds, and then everything is back to normal. It seriously took five years for this game?

Try exiting and reloading, if you haven't for a while.

I skimmed the last couple pages hoping to not really see anything too spoilery so perhaps I've missed it but is anyone else getting freezing issues? I don't mean the stutter, that's obvious. In one room I've had the game lock up twice on me while trying to solve a puzzle. It's the first room you come across sequentially (that I'm aware of?) where there's three purple light spots and four blocks to toss around. I won't get more descriptive than that.

Is there a suggested fix? Does cleaning the 360's cache help with lock ups? I'm tempted to try once more but if it does it again I may just put it on hold to see if a patch comes through. Really annoying.

ced

I can't believe all the technical issues I'm seeing on various forums. Stuttering, freezes, come the hell on devs.

Hixx

Wow, the way you can reveal the alphabet in this game is AMAZING. People probably don't even realize it.

I felt like an idiot. I realized the part you could translate it straight away and I knew what I was translating to but I was reading it the wrong way
KuGsj.gif

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I am so bored of writing sequences down it isnt funny. Some will call it 'genius', others 'appallingly archaic for the sake of it' game design.

Have enjoyed the game other than this though, but its way too easy to get lost and falling death heights in a platformer are frustrating when I want to blast through.

I am so bored of writing sequences down it isnt funny. Some will call it 'genius', others 'appallingly archaic for the sake of it' game design.

Have enjoyed the game other than this though, but its way too easy to get lost and falling death heights in a platformer are frustrating when I want to blast through.

I haven't written anything down. Is there a need to? I haven't found it.

ThankeeSai

Just a question about the map/secrets.

In the first section, before the hub (home town/village thing), on my map it shows 2 secrets - one is in the room with the painting of the guy with the monocle, the other is in some sort of engine room or something.

In the room with the painting I have found the
entrance in the fireplace to get the key from the chest.
Is that the secret? Or is there an anticube in there?

I noticed on the map that when you find normal cube pieces, that section of the map will be coloured in gold/yellow. I take it something similar happens when you find the secrets?

You have to grab the totem with X, and while holding it rotate with LT or RT. Took me a little bit to figure out.

What's the problem with the "penalty" for falling high up? Usually if you fall from such a height, it's because you misjudged a jump and you'd have to climb all the way back up. If anything it helps.

I noticed on the map that when you find normal cube pieces, that section of the map will be coloured in gold/yellow. I take it something similar happens when you find the secrets?

Dot (the NEW Navi), explains on the map screen that when the map section is outlined in gold, it means you've cleared that area of all secrets, collectibles, pieces, etc.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I haven't written anything down. Is there a need to? I haven't found it.

Yes, for the blue cubes at least, absolutely. I guess some people out there may have a photographic memory that they can visualise code-breaking in their minds eye, but for anyone normal going after the anti-cubes, a notebook and pen are a necessity. As is another piece of technology for just one cube which was a silly inclusion. Don't really want to spoil it, but I'm sure people will know.

Yes, for the blue cubes at least, absolutely. I guess some people out there may have a photographic memory that they can visualise code-breaking in their minds eye, but for anyone normal going after the anti-cubes, a notebook and pen are a necessity. As is another piece of technology for just one cube which was a silly inclusion. Don't really want to spoil it, but I'm sure people will know.

Oh I see. I've just been focusing on exploration right now, missed a few. OOPS. Backtracking nooooooo.

Top Bottom