• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

I love this game. Right now I'm in the
owl
area. I found four treasure maps for the
4x4 grid
puzzle but I can't figure out the sequence.

Haven't experienced any crashes/freezes yet.

ThankeeSai

Dot (the NEW Navi), explains on the map screen that when the map section is outlined in gold, it means you've cleared that area of all secrets, collectibles, pieces, etc.

Aaah cool. Thanks for that.

I thought I must have missed something as during the map explanation, I pressed B a bit too quick and I must have skipped over that part.

Tawpgun

Is there something more to the bell? It has symbols on it but fuck if I know what they mean.

I think it has something to do with the tree island. It looks like there's an underwater cave or some kind of entrance below it.

Do you need to get every single cube to "beat" the game? So far I'm loving this game, but it's very confusing. If I need to like, write notes and decipher things to be able to say I at least got to the end then that's gonna be kind of annoying.

eso76

Not really my type of game, but that doesn't mean i can't appreciate how clever and well designed it is.
Knowing myself i won't be playing it a lot, but i'll still buy to support devs.

Can't be the only one who thought of this

nebulus.gif

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Put in like 5 and a half hours I think, and did a good bit, one little thing I was stuck on but then it just clicked, probably because I was a little tired - can't say nothing had me stumped yet.

Had a little stuttering in the level I was in, but other than that, not to bad. Still a shame to see but I've been enjoying the hell out of it so far. Gonna stop for now and take my sweet time with it like I did with Braid.

Draconian

Just a question about the map/secrets.

In the first section, before the hub (home town/village thing), on my map it shows 2 secrets - one is in the room with the painting of the guy with the monocle, the other is in some sort of engine room or something.

In the room with the painting I have found the
entrance in the fireplace to get the key from the chest.
Is that the secret? Or is there an anticube in there?

I noticed on the map that when you find normal cube pieces, that section of the map will be coloured in gold/yellow. I take it something similar happens when you find the secrets?

I'm right here with you man. I've been all over both of those rooms and am clueless. I doubt the
chest
counts as a secret either.

Shitty game by a shitty dev which will get ate up by dumb reviewers who like anything "indie" and "retro." Cave Story did the style better without the obnoxious dev ego.

Marco1

Has anyone got the boxart on their games list or is it still using the small icon?
I absolutely hate when games do this, bomberman battlefest and strania still do this for me.

Misguided

Banned
Played this for about an hour and a half, not really sure what I think so far. Navigation is a little frustrating, game is buggy, and picking up the boxes is poorly designed at points.
There's a room where there's a button on top and four pillars all around. You have to pick up this box and throw them at the pillars. But the problem is when you jump up to where the pillar is, if you didn't make it so that you threw the box at a distance where it's somewhat hanging off of the pillar, than you have to leave and reenter the level. Wtf?

ThankeeSai

I'm right here with you man. I've been all over both of those rooms and am clueless.

It's driving me insane :(

So, it seems to me that the solution is basically going to be one of 2 things -

A) How did I NOT see that before?!

or

B) WTF?! How the hell was I supposed to figure that out?!

Grrrrrrrrr.....

Zia

Has anyone got the boxart on their games list or is it still using the small icon?
I absolutely hate when games do this, bomberman battlefest and strania still do this for me.

I still have the issue. Seems like a pretty big game for that to happen, particularly since they got a well known artist to do the art. I can't play retail until the SO gets home tonight (twitch, twitch), so I'm just turning the 360 on every few hours to see if it's been fixed, ha.

Kusagari

I just want to know if the games like Braid, because that's what it seems like to me based off the info, before I can download the demo later!

Edit: Actually it seems more like a mix of VVVVVV and Braid.

Draconian

It's driving me insane :(

So, it seems to me that the solution is basically going to be one of 2 things -

A) How did I NOT see that before?!

or

B) WTF?! How the hell was I supposed to figure that out?!

Grrrrrrrrr.....

Yup. I hope it's B, otherwise I'll feel like I'm in for a long ride when it comes to the secrets in this game lol

feel

Bought it without first downloading the trial, fuck it, I've waited too long. Downloading now.

Shitty game by a shitty dev which will get ate up by dumb reviewers who like anything "indie" and "retro." Cave Story did the style better without the obnoxious dev ego.
Read the title.

DaBuddaDa

I just want to know if the games like Braid, because that's what it seems like to me based off the info, before I can download the demo later!

It's not...really like Braid. The biggest difference is in Braid there are enemies and in Fez there aren't. They both are platformers with a "gimmick" but their gimmicks are entirely different in function. They're as similar as something like Crysis and Call of Duty. Yeah, they're both modern first person shooters with realistic graphical styles and guns you shoot, but they're wholly different to play.

Kade

Cave story isn't even that good, bro. The only thing that's good is the soundtrack. Also, at this point, the people who have trouble letting go of his comments are more obnoxious than he is because they won't shut the fuck up about how obnoxious he is.

GhaleonEB

I have paid only passing attention to this game over the years, so I went into it with minimal knowledge and am entirely oblivious to what this 'dev ego' is guys like SnorlaxSquad are sobbing about. What matters to me is the game.

The game is great. It's got this really nice relaxed retro vibe to it. There's challenge and mercy married nicely; it really tasks spacial thinking, but is ultra-lenient when it comes to failures. Getting plopped right back from the point I fell (or at the start of a climbing sequence) instantly is the best possible way to handle the platforming.

Little things I like: doors I have opened before stay opened, and I get a preview of what is on the other side as a reminder of where they go. Being able to see another chunk of level in the distance is tantalizing. The euphoria of completing a cube (I'm up to six, and they all made me absurdly happy to complete). It's all just very well thought out.

The technical performance is disappointing. The game does stutter a lot, and sometimes loading screens are frequent when world-hopping. I've even had loading screens themselves stutter, which is a bit perplexing. No hard crashes yet, and I hope is stays that way.

Rough edges aside this is the kind of game I can see myself turning on with the intent to play for a few minutes, and then realizing it's 2:00 AM.

Tain

GhaleonEB said:
I have paid only passing attention to this game over the years, so I went into it with minimal knowledge and am entirely oblivious to what this 'dev ego' is guys like SnorlaxSquad are sobbing about. What matters to me is the game.

It would be nice for people to cool down on talking about Fish's comments. I'd hate to see legitimate criticism of the game be overshadowed by talk of Fish's seemingly bad taste.

gururoji

The technical performance is disappointing. The game does stutter a lot, and sometimes loading screens are frequent when world-hopping.

Darn, I was hoping the stuttering was just the demo. It's a beautiful game other than that.

As for gameplay, I really don't know what to think. The demo felt very short and anti-climactic, and really didn't give me much of an idea of what the full game will be like. Is it challenging at all or is it all just very laid back? Is there a lot of backtracking? Traversal often feels slow to me (largely because the deadly fall distance is not that high, so I have to climb down more slowly than I want), so I hope there's not a ton of backtracking.

Still kind of tempted to buy the game, but very much on the fence since I know I will want to pour a lot of time into Trials Evolution and Pinball Arcade...

okay so apparently i figured out a puzzle without realising it? in the starting area, one room,
the room with all the portraits/hidden treasure chest
, went from unfinished to complete & i'm not sure what i did? is there something else other than the
treasure chest
or have i gone mad?

I need some help:
Right now I'm in the stage with all the cube people. I have 15 cubes, and I don't know what I should do to progress. There is a door that needs 32 cubes to open, and I'll eventually backtrack to get them, but I assume that going behind the door is optional (a bonus). There is also a room with an owl statue that seems very important. I can't figure out what the cube people are saying, but it seems some have deciphered the language.

EvB

I loved what I played of this earlier, colourful,vibrant and beautiful. It's also really great to play.

Feep

Banned
Anyone figured out what the answer to the "security question" is?
This one still stumps me. I've tried
testfish
and the one I was SURE was the answer,
nametron
, but nothing. Also tried entering them backwards, with/without gaps, etc...

If anyone has a full translation of the numbers, I'd love to see it. I theoretically have 0-7 and 10, but I can't get a particular anticube that I thought I should be able to...

clashfan

The technical performance is disappointing. The game does stutter a lot, and sometimes loading screens are frequent when world-hopping. I've even had loading screens themselves stutter, which is a bit perplexing...

From my understand this game was written using xna c# managed code, so I can understand the performance issues. Xna is a good framework but it's still not native code.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Something I noticed on the leaderboard:
I checked the top 2 guys achievements, they both had all the anti cubes and normal cubes...but one had an extra few percent. Guess there's even more past that?

Feep

Banned
Something I noticed on the leaderboard:
I checked the top 2 guys achievements, they both had all the anti cubes and normal cubes...but one had an extra few percent. Guess there's even more past that?
Yup. I have a "cube" that isn't a normal cube, anticube, or artifact. Crazy how I got it, though.

Beaulieu

I need some help:
Right now I'm in the stage with all the cube people. I have 15 cubes, and I don't know what I should do to progress. There is a door that needs 32 cubes to open, and I'll eventually backtrack to get them, but I assume that going behind the door is optional (a bonus). There is also a room with an owl statue that seems very important. I can't figure out what the cube people are saying, but it seems some have deciphered the language.

errrr you need to explore more. Get off GAF.
32 cubes are not optional

Top Bottom