• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Yup. I have a "cube" that isn't a normal cube, anticube, or artifact. Crazy how I got it, though.

The red one with one piece missing?
I just got that. :) The puzzles in this game are fantastic.

Now that I saw you answers, did you try
fishtron
?
EDIT: Well, doesn't fit. bleh.

And the numbers still elude me too, don't know what to do with the bell.
Monocle / portrait room
What do you mean? I don't know what I did, but the room just became golden on the map without me actually going to it. I wonder what triggered that.

Feep

Banned

fishtron
?

What do you mean? I don't know what I did, but the room just became golden on the map without me actually going to it. I wonder what triggered that.
I have to ask, on that weird cube,
Did you just copy the blinking red stars and get it randomly? I actually did that first, but later I realized it wasn't quite a repeating pattern. I took a video, transcribed all 96 flashes during nighttime, converted the flashes to binary, then to ASCII, and the six-button code is given there. Unfortunately, that code appears randomly in the sequence itself, so it's possible to get it by accident, like I did.
Oh, and the map still shows that there's a secret there...is that true for you too?

The answer of
fishtron, or tronfish, is not possible; the cubes given aren't right.

Beaulieu

fishtron
?
EDIT: Well, doesn't fit. bleh.

On the wall is a picture of something like 7 dudes with fezes on their head. You need to input the RT-LT following the position of the Fezes on their head. This gives you a black cube. You possibly did it by mistake, like me and feep did the red star stuff. Also, what's the other secret in the observatory room??

About the alphabet in the game,
I'm a little disapointed because english isnt my first language and I've never know about the sentence with all the letters of the english language in it....

Hmm, I'm a little stuck.
At the part in the first main area after the starting town, there's a bit with a waterfall. You can blow a door up around there with a bomb and enter this cave type level with mine carts and rail tracks. I got to the second or so screen, and I can't work out how to get to the top of the tower. You have to use bombs; I've managed to get half way up and I'm now at a part where the bomb you use to blow up pieces of the next "tower" is sat on a little ledge on the first "tower." This feels like a little secret route, so it's bound to be a bit complicated. Whenever I blow up the blocks of the second tower, it waits a second or two and then they respawn. Any idea why the bricks keep respawning so I cannot move further up?

Feep

Banned
Where is that portrait/monocle room, by the way? I want to see something, but the map is a huge pain in the ass...

Feep

Banned
Hmm, I'm a little stuck.
At the part in the first main area after the starting town, there's a bit with a waterfall. You can blow a door up around there with a bomb and enter this cave type level with mine carts and rail tracks. I got to the second or so screen, and I can't work out how to get to the top of the tower. You have to use bombs; I've managed to get half way up and I'm now at a part where the bomb you use to blow up pieces of the next "tower" is sat on a little ledge on the first "tower." This feels like a little secret route, so it's bound to be a bit complicated. Whenever I blow up the blocks of the second tower, it waits a second or two and then they respawn. Any idea why the bricks keep respawning so I cannot move further up?
The blasts must be visibly connected to the next brick for the chain to continue...

I was playing Fez for a while earlier then logged into WoW to check on some auctions. I had a very odd head spinning moment as I went from Fez's 2D (but not really!) to WoW's 3D. Anyone else experience that? My brain was still seeing the graphics as a 2D space within which to operate for a few seconds, it was crazy.

I have to ask, on that weird cube,
Did you just copy the blinking red stars and get it randomly? I actually did that first, but later I realized it wasn't quite a repeating pattern. I took a video, transcribed all 96 flashes during nighttime, converted the flashes to binary, then to ASCII, and the six-button code is given there. Unfortunately, that code appears randomly in the sequence itself, so it's possible to get it by accident, like I did.
Oh, and the map still shows that there's a secret there...is that true for you too?

The answer of
fishtron, or tronfish, is not possible; the cubes given aren't right.

I wrote down a sequence of about 50 inputs and just pushed the buttons and got it. Didn't really think about it honestly, but now that I look at my notes it doesn't look like it's repeating. Your method is crazy though. :)

There is another cube there, look at the constellations in all 4 directions.

Feep

Banned
I wrote down a sequence of about 50 inputs and just pushed the buttons and got it. Didn't really think about it honestly, but now that I look at my notes it doesn't look like it's repeating. Your method is crazy though. :)

There is another cube there, look at the constellations in all 4 directions.
It's definitely the "correct" way. The ASCII lines up perfectly.

I did, and I see the shapes, but how do I know what order in which to enter them? Does that "north star" have anything to do with it?

:lol that SnorlaxSquad troll got himself permabanned.

Anyway, here are some translations I made:

Near big tree:
"Please send help. Trapped in a Fez Factory"

Neon sign:
"Watch out for black holes"

Forgot where lol:
"All of time and space, and the space outside of space. Does it ever end?"

I got a few more that don't make sense that I'm probably doing wrong.

It's definitely the "correct" way. The ASCII lines up perfectly.

I did, and I see the shapes, but how do I know what order in which to enter them? Does that "north star" have anything to do with it?

To be honest, I don't know which order is correct anymore, since I was trying out several after another and was surprised myself when I got the cube at some point.
I think I used the north star as reference and then went around. The constellations in each direction definitely go from left to right though.

:lol that SnorlaxSquad troll got himself permabanned.

Anyway, here are some translations I made:

I got a few more that don't make sense that I'm probably doing wrong.

I got one:
The points constellate,
conspire to create shapes,
shapes to tessellate.

Feep

Banned
Well, bad news for completionists: there's either a bug here (highly possible) or gold rooms don't necessarily mean that there are no secrets remaining. My portrait monocle room was marked gold, so I never went back inside it. Solving the puzzle in there was easy; I would have got it almost immediately if I had just gone back in...but I never bothered, because it was marked completed.

31 anticubes...!

Ok so I was pretty hyped for this game. Bought it this morning with no hesitation and dove in. Loved the artstyle, atmosphere and general design of the game but unfortunately I think I wasted my money.

As others have said in this thread, there's a lot of technical issues with the game. I've encountered massive stuttering, way too frequent loading, 2 complete crashes and I'm pretty sure I managed to glitch a room so it's showing that there are collectibles left when I know for a fact there aren't. I'm sure some of these will be ironed out in future patches, but for me it's inexcusable. This is probably the buggiest game I've played this gen.

Spoilery gripes ahoy:

When I realized after a few hours that I was inexplicably stuck, I browsed this thread and other boards for answers. I found out that I have to manually translate a different language to get past some of the puzzles. To me, that's so far from fun that it's not even in the same ballpark. Seriously, I need to decipher this shit with pen and paper WHAT THE FUCK?

Needless to say, I'm afraid this game is dead to me now. Oh well, I had fun for a few hours at least.

The blasts must be visibly connected to the next brick for the chain to continue...

Cheers. I thought that might be it; I tried it once, must've screwed up somewhere and just thought "nah, that isn't it."

Really liking it so far anyway. The controls feel a little odd, but everything else is great. The presentation is nice and I love the many nods to other titles it has (see: Zelda.)

Well, bad news for completionists: there's either a bug here (highly possible) or gold rooms don't necessarily mean that there are no secrets remaining. My portrait monocle room was marked gold, so I never went back inside it. Solving the puzzle in there was easy; I would have got it almost immediately if I had just gone back in...but I never bothered, because it was marked completed.

31 anticubes...!

Just did the same. Wow that sucks. I'm pretty sure another room turned golden for me for no reason. If you go one up and one left from the room with the lighthouse, there is an owl room which I had no idea what to do in, but it's golden now. Probably need to check that again..

ThankeeSai

Yup. I hope it's B, otherwise I'll feel like I'm in for a long ride when it comes to the secrets in this game lol

Yep, it was pretty much B, lol (for me a least).

Had to look at a spoiler on here before I launched my pad. Also gives me some sort of idea for what to expect for the 31 other anticube puzzles o_0

milesdm

Spoilery gripes ahoy:

When I realized after a few hours that I was inexplicably stuck, I browsed this thread and other boards for answers. I found out that I have to manually translate a different language to get past some of the puzzles. To me, that's so far from fun that it's not even in the same ballpark. Seriously, I need to decipher this shit with pen and paper WHAT THE FUCK?

That's only for a second set of cubes, referred to in the OP.

Feep

Banned
Owl related spoilers:

Talking to owls is considered a "secret". You need to talk to four of them; their positions are shown inside a house in the first village.

Ok so I was pretty hyped for this game. Bought it this morning with no hesitation and dove in. Loved the artstyle, atmosphere and general design of the game but unfortunately I think I wasted my money.

As others have said in this thread, there's a lot of technical issues with the game. I've encountered massive stuttering, way too frequent loading, 2 complete crashes and I'm pretty sure I managed to glitch a room so it's showing that there are collectibles left when I know for a fact there aren't. I'm sure some of these will be ironed out in future patches, but for me it's inexcusable. This is probably the buggiest game I've played this gen.

Spoilery gripes ahoy:

Needless to say, I'm afraid this game is dead to me now. Oh well, I had fun for a few hours at least.

You didn't play many games this gen it seems.

Daeda

Only two antis to go.. still have the following secret rooms (though I also seem to have the bug of the gold colouring when not necessary)

Missing ones are:

Observatory
Name the secret
Bell tower
Burned Treasure Map
A secret on the island with the 64 door, but that might just be the door itself

31 anticubes...!

Tips for solving the puzzle, Feep?

Holy shit 11,000 players on the leaderboards already and there's still like 6 hours for the day :p

Feep

Banned
Only two antis to go.. still have the following secret rooms (though I also seem to have the bug of the gold colouring when not necessary)

Missing ones are:

Observatory
Name the secret
Bell tower
Burned Treasure Map
A secret on the island with the 64 door, but that might just be the door itself
Wait, you solved the boiler/engine room in the starting village? o_O How?

And I still can't figure out the (normal) observatory puzzle! Ugh, I've tried, like, every combination.

Tips for solving the puzzle, Feep?

Holy shit 11,000 players on the leaderboards already and there's still like 6 hours for the day :p
Look at the position of the Fez's in the picture...

Wait, you solved the boiler/engine room in the starting village? o_O How?

And I still can't figure out the (normal) observatory puzzle! Ugh, I've tried, like, every combination.

Look at the position of the Fez's in the picture...

Haha, so obvious. Thanks!

Feep

Banned
Huh. Even though the observatory isn't gold for me, and YianGaruga says he got another cube in there, there is no "secret" question mark by the room for me...

Ughhhh.

Just started playing. Got the first cube and got the achievement. Had a lot at the other achievements and saw
a code involving left and right triggers. Put the code in and got an anti cube. It would have be so easy for me to miss that so I'm guessing there are things I have already missed and will continue to miss.

Himself

Played for bout an hour and half. The music is absolutely glorious. Reminds me of Boards of Canada, Harmonia, things like that. The game itself is OK, most likely going to be forgettable when its all said and done. The first thirty minutes or so of exploring the world feels great, but it quickly becomes redundant and unrewarding. For 10 bucks, I'm not upset about it.

Misguided

Banned
Played for bout an hour and half. The music is absolutely glorious. Reminds me of Boards of Canada, Harmonia, things like that. The game itself is OK, most likely going to be forgettable when its all said and done. The first thirty minutes or so of exploring the world feels great, but it quickly becomes redundant and unrewarding. For 10 bucks, I'm not upset about it.

Trust me, you've seen nothing yet (and very may well may not ever!)

Edit: Updated impressions:

Game picks up as you start finding more areas and start to better understand the logic of traversal in this game. Found my first dedicated puzzle room where I presume I was to get an
anti-cube
, but just couldn't figure it out completely. I understood the concept but not the execution. Looking forward to really sinking my teeth into it after work!

Himself

Trust me, you've seen nothing yet (and very may well may not ever!)

Edit: Updated impressions:

Game picks up as you start finding more areas and start to better understand the logic of traversal in this game. Found my first dedicated puzzle room where I presume I was to get an
anti-cube
, but just couldn't figure it out completely. I understood the concept but not the execution. Looking forward to really sinking my teeth into it after work!

I'm hoping the game throws me a curveball. What do you mean by " very well may not ever?". Does something crazy happen if I collect all the cubes?

Feep

Banned
Hahahah, Tim Schafer is climbing up the ranks; he's at 51 or so.

If someone solves the observatory and tells me (giving me 32 anticubes) I will love you FOREVER.

AGHHHH

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Tried the demo with my four year old daughter... yeah it didn't grab either one of us. "Daddy this is boring, let's play Ilomilo!"

... On a more serious note: I couldn't get a grip on what I was supposed to be doing or going. Maybe I needed a bit more instruction other than "collect the shit". And the jumping feels, weird. I dunno, I don't think this game is for me. Loots like the type of game where you need to "wander around and figure shit out by revisiting the same places until you notice what you're supposed to do". Kinda like NES Zelda! There's probably something special here, maybe I'll try the demo again. But in my 15 minutes it didn't catch either of our attention span, we were both pretty bored fast.

Himself

The game definitely let's you play at your own pace, which is good for some bad for others. "Collect the shit" and enjoy doing it seems to Be the thrust of the game so far. I've played about 90 minutes and not much has changed since the first 15 so it may not be something you'd enjoy.

Well, beat it, that was fun, but disappointing. The early rush gave way to weariness in the final bits.

Spose I'll take another shot at it once
all this fucking codebreaking nonsense is over and done with. What a lazy fucking way to extend the game. He worked on this five years and half the game is DECODE THIS STUPID BULLSHIT puzzles? Bah

Himself

Maybe this is the God of War 3 of indie puzzle platformers? Where the first 15 minutes are the best part and its all downhill from there. Actually, Limbo may take that prize.

Tain

damn, this game skips frames consistently every second.

It's almost like playing a 57hz MAME game with vsync on or something. Really weird for a console title. I actually remember running into this with early versions of XNA, but that was in Windows.

Top Bottom