• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 09 (360) MLS League Thread.

Fifty

You should put the google spreadsheet links in an obvious place on the main post. Since we're not using league daddy, we have to make the most of that page and hope everyone is looking at it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah i'm gonna fix up the OP too so that it displays standings and leaders just haven't had the time to spit polish yet

woodchuck

Fifty said:
You should put the google spreadsheet links in an obvious place on the main post. Since we're not using league daddy, we have to make the most of that page and hope everyone is looking at it.

woodchuck said:
We're keeping track of everything in a google spreadsheet that we'll update. We'll reset everything once the regular season starts.

We'll probably post some of this info in the OP along with the links once the season starts so you guys dont have to keep clicking the links. the links are there if you want to see the full info.

Here's the Preseason schedule (everyone can view, only me and astro can edit): http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p7bN7hrPfCEXm9ejOIg5KOQ&hl=en

the stats (includes player and team) : http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p7bN7hrPfCEVBDE2NjWIcPw&hl=en

the standings: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p7bN7hrPfCEWov3GfhM46FA&hl=en

we know, we know!

sneaky77

DC United 0 FC Dallas 1

Shots: 7 / 11
Shots On Target 1 /7

Goals:
J.Cunningham 104min

Good game, damn the one I hit the post with one min before you scored.

woodchuck

good game man. that was ugly :lol

and yeah. tough break on the ones that hit the post. i was using auto shooting and a bunch of my shots with kenny cooper would just sail above the goal.

were you using auto shooting? usually, with auto shooting, it would be a goal with an open net like you had.

woodchuck

yeah, you probably would have won if you had auto-shooting. you had a wide open net.

i need to adjust my formations and tactics. fc dallas's default formation blows. theres like two guys occupying the same space.

TDG

Banned
There should be a gentlepersons agreement not to cut off short goalkicks. That shit is seriously cheap.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i think just have to be careful. those rules are always well intentioned but lead to huge disputes regardless as the contours of the rules inevitably get explored

Tf53

Houston Dynamo - Kansas City Wizards 0-1 OT
Shots 13 | 11
SOT 7 | 5

Goals
0-1 99' M. Harrington

I can't even score with auto shooting anymore. :(

Good game with Tf53 I got a goal in extra time 99min. I say its luck he wont call it that to be nice. :D Good game though...a little slower pace than EPL

Magicked

Hey Astrolad, I'll be pretty busy this weekend until Sunday. We're painting tonight, moving a bunch of stuff and painting on Saturday, and then Sunday we should start to get settled in. Do you want to play our match Sunday evening sometime?

Daigoro

TDG and i have our game scheduled for Sat.

if anyone else is around this weekend, lets try to get some scrims in. ive been trying to get some games in recently, but i havent played online in ages.

woodchuck said:
i need to adjust my formations and tactics. fc dallas's default formation blows. theres like two guys occupying the same space.

ugh, you should see Colorado's. its fucking ludicrous.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hm i should mess with new york's. the great thing about no online league is that it will just load your formation and players right up if you save it.

Yeah, I've tinkered a little bit with the Quakes formation and style to suit my needs. Some of the stuff they programmed in makes no sense at all. I'm up for a scrimmage this weekend, so I'll look for you guys online.

Fifty

What the cock, I can't sign into the EA servers..for the first time this year in FIFA. I'm about to play Chris Goldstein, but it's not having it. Oh well, it's just a preseason game. Sorry Chris, I'm done trying to figure this out.

Fifty said:
What the cock, I can't sign into the EA servers..for the first time this year in FIFA. I'm about to play Chris Goldstein, but it's not having it. Oh well, it's just a preseason game. Sorry Chris, I'm done trying to figure this out.
Ever since Skate 2 people have been having problems getting logged into EA Nation. Not sure what the deal is.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Fifty said:

lol I couldnt remember if we played or not when I woke up I was a little drunk yesterday

I guess we got a few more days maybe ea will fix their servers

Daigoro

gg TDG.

Colorado 0 (10 shots 5 OG) Columbus 1 (8 shots 2 OG)

very competitive and fun game. lots of ridiculous turnovers in midfield etc.

fucking heartbreaker on a breakaway in like the 85+ minute, after i was completely dominating the beginning of the second half with shots and corner attempts.

i just laughed when i saw the breakaway and my defenders just stood there unable to move.

my fault for not being able to put one of those damn shots away though!

GG.

EDIT: 88th Minute! (A. Moreno)

88! can you feel the pain?! :lol

Sure, np. Just send me an invite when you're ready. I'm just playing against the AI.

EDIT: Ack, nvm. Maybe some other time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i haven't had the chance to play fifa in like two weeks. i'm actually really looking forward to messing around with my formation. although i guess the update will mess it all up (whenever it comes out)

TDG

Banned
GG, Daigoro, that was good fun. I was happy with my play in the first half, but my back was against the wall the entire 2nd half, I can't believe I won.

woodchuck

good games. yeah...sorry about those red cards. i had to do what i had to do :lol

and man, these guys have such a hard time controlling the ball and passing

Daigoro

yes, that was some epic shit there TDG. good job. it was a really fun game.

damn i need to add some more of you guys to my friend list. i cant believe i havent played against woodchuck yet.

Daigoro

so can someone explain the playoffs set up to me?

will it be MLS style with a Western and Eastern conference champ going head to head? sounds like not.

are we just doing this single table format for the season or will we have the breakdown of stats from the different conferences?

part of me would like to see the rules follow the regular season and playoff setup the way MLS does it. Conference playoff setup with the East and West champs meeting for the MLS cup.

woodchuck

Daigoro said:
so can someone explain the playoffs set up to me?

will it be MLS style with a Western and Eastern conference champ going head to head? sounds like not.

are we just doing this single table format for the season or will we have the breakdown of stats from the different conferences?

part of me would like to see the rules follow the regular season and playoff setup the way MLS does it. Conference playoff setup with the East and West champs meeting for the MLS cup.

we can always change the playoff format if a lot of people agree on something.

right now, it's:

everyone plays everyone in their conference twice (12 games).

top 3 teams from each conference make the playoffs with the 1st seed having a bye.

woodchuck

to be honest, i have no idea what mls style is. i guess i'll look it up...

hmm. i guess we can do "each team plays all other teams once" so thats 13 games. winner of that would be regular season champs. we can't really play each team twice since that would be way too long of a season.

and then, top 8 teams make the playoffs like in mls? ok, i'd be fine with that

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
beat ya to it

Who Qualifies: Eight teams qualify for the 2008 MLS Cup Playoffs. Playoff berths will be determined by points in the standings upon the completion of the regular season. All 14 teams will have played 30 games.

The top three teams in each conference qualify and are seeded 1, 2 & 3 in their respective four-team playoff conference brackets.
The two MLS teams with the next most points, regardless of conference, receive "wildcard" berths.
The two wildcard teams will be seeded according to conference first.
If more than four teams qualify from one conference, the team finishing lower than fourth in its conference will shift over to the other conference bracket.
A team switching conference brackets will be seeded below all other teams in its new conference playoff bracket.
Playoff Format: Conference Semifinal series are conducted in a home-and-home, aggregate-goal format. The lower seeded team in the Conference Semifinal hosts the first game. The winners of those four series advance to single-game Conference Championships that will determine the MLS Cup Finalists.

The team that scores the most goals in the home-and-home series advances to the single elimination Conference Championship. If the teams are tied after 180 minutes in the Conference Semifinal series, a 30-minute extra time period (divided into two 15-minute periods) will be played followed by kicks from the penalty mark, if necessary. The team with the higher seed between the two Conference finalists will host the Conference Championship game.

In the case of ties after 90 minutes of regulation in the Eastern and Western Conference Championship games and MLS Cup, 30 minutes of extra time (divided into two 15-minute periods) would be played followed by kicks from the penalty mark, if necessary, to determine the winners.

TEAM-STANDINGS TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
The team awarded the highest position in the MLS standings will be the team with the greatest number of points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss). In the event that two teams finish the regular season with an equal number of points, the following system will be used to break the tie:

1) The highest position shall be awarded to the team with the better win/loss record in current regular season games against all other teams equal in points. (head-to-head competition)

2) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team with the greater goal difference against all other teams during the regular season. (goal differential)

3) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team scoring the greatest number of total goals against all other teams during the regular season. (total goals)

4) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the procedures described in this section shall be applied only to games played on the road by each team against all other teams during the regular season. (road 1-3)

5) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the procedures described in this section shall be applied only to games played at home by each team against all other teams during the regular season. (home 1-3)

6) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team with the fewest team disciplinary points in the League Fair Play table during the regular season.

7) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position in the standings shall be determined by the toss of a coin.

8) The first tiebreaker in a three-way tie is also head-to-head, but it is determined via points-per-game versus the other two teams. If two teams are tied in points-per-game head-to-head, the next tie breaker is goal difference.

NOTE: If two clubs remain tied after another club with the same number of points advances during any step, the tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format.

woodchuck

alright, i'll generate another schedule that has everyone playing all other teams once and i'll post it later tonight

N.A

Banned
I've waited for the last 4 hours to see if Strikevillain will come online to play our match but no such luck. I'm going out now so won't be able to get my match done by the deadline.

Edit: Ignore this, we got to play our match.

Daigoro

AstroLad said:
yeah we can do it mls style

cool.

it might be too long/too much trouble, but for the regular season maybe we could just play each team we face twice in a row to get the series settled. just a thought.

hopefully i can actually win a game this season! :D i feel pretty competetive this preaseaon and im actually getting pretty comfortable with Colorado. we'll see...

woodchuck

what does everyone else prefer? i'm fine with any option:

option A: Play each team in conference twice ( 12 games) + top 3 teams from each conference make playoffs

option B: : Play every team in league once (13 games). Winner of that is regular season winner. Then have an MLS Cup Playoffs with 8 teams.

option C: Play every team in league twice (26 games). 4 games a week with 2 games played consecutively home/away with the same opponent. so you'll have two opponents a week and play them twice. Then have an mls cup playoffs with 8 teams.

what does everyone think? feel free to make other suggestions

Daigoro

i like C if people are willing to put in the effort. not sure which i like better between A and B for a back up.

why would A only have 3 teams in each conference in the playoffs as opposed to C where 4 teams make it?

woodchuck

Daigoro said:
why would A only have 3 teams in each conference in the playoffs as opposed to C where 4 teams make it?

arbritrary. it can be 4. i just didnt want more than 50% of the teams to make the playoffs. but if mls has 8 teams make it, we can do that

sneaky77

4 games a week may be pushing it. Too many things can go wrong to try to play that many games with so many different schedules.

woodchuck

sneaky77 said:
4 games a week may be pushing it. Too many things can go wrong to try to play that many games with so many different schedules.

we'd only be playing two opponents with two games back to back.

but i like option A with the reason that Astrolad mentioned about intra-conference rivalries.

Top Bottom