• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 09 (360) MLS League Thread.

I'd prefer a system where we get to play everyone at least once. Maybe go MLS style and have 2 games against each team in your conference and 1 game against teams out of your conference? Not sure if that'd be too much trouble to organize, and I'm willing to go along with whatever you guys want. As far as playoffs go, I'm fine with either 6 or 8. Doesn't make too much of a difference to me. I guess we should also figure out the playoff format (home & away aggregate + a single game final?).

woodchuck

Cornballer said:
I'd prefer a system where we get to play everyone at least once. Maybe go MLS style and have 2 games against each team in your conference and 1 game against teams out of your conference? Not sure if that'd be too much trouble to organize, and I'm willing to go along with whatever you guys want. As far as playoffs go, I'm fine with either 6 or 8. Doesn't make too much of a difference to me. I guess we should also figure out the playoff format (home & away aggregate + a single game final?).

i just don't want the league to be too long. i wanted to cap it at 8 weeks so 16 games max. otherwise it can get too drawn out and people lose interest.

as for the playoffs, last season, we did home&away aggreage + single game final. i think we'll keep with that.

i'm fine with playing each team twice...playing 4 games a week...but with two opponents a week.

it depends if people are comfortable with playing 30 min at a time as opposed to 15 min...

sneaky77

woodchuck said:
we'd only be playing two opponents with two games back to back.

but i like option A with the reason that Astrolad mentioned about intra-conference rivalries.

thats fine with me then

TDG

Banned
I like Option A but using the real MLS playoff system, fucked-up East-West rule (that let NYRB into the playoffs last season) not included obviously since you'll only be playing your conference.

Oh yeah, I'm leaving on vacation next Saturday, won't be able to play again until Thursday. I doubt it'll be a problem, we'll work things out.

woodchuck

alright. lets just stick with option A for the regular season.

Here's the full schedule (will be posted in the OP): http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p7bN7hrPfCEWr7YXYvw37Mw&hl=en

and here's the week 1 schedule (will also be included in the OP)

301lj6a.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i'm cool with that. if not i got an idea that you play two games against one conference opponent than one game against non-conference each week. so three games total a week

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
haha man i'm so terrible with this team haven't scored a goal in like five games. FOUR PLAYOFF TEAMS PLS

Magicked

RSL 2 - 0 RBNY

Goals:
- Morales
- Beckerman

Unfortunately, I got "the connection has been lost" or whatever before the stats screen showed up, so I couldn't get number of shots or anything. :(

GG though Astrolad. I was feelin' it tonight for some reason.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ah crap that's my bad i disconnected too early. i blame the relatives i have hogging my living room.

DON'T TURN OFF THE 360 UNTIL YOU'RE AT THE STATS SCREEN

AstroLad said:
i'm cool with that. if not i got an idea that you play two games against one conference opponent than one game against non-conference each week. so three games total a week
Yeah, I was figuring that we'd just play a double-header in conference every week and a single game out of conference, but no worries - this system will work just fine. :D

N.A

Banned
It seems Strikevillain hasn't posted our score.

It was
New England Revolution 0-0 Los Angeles Galaxy

I didn't record the shots, will do in the full season.

woodchuck

uhh.....yeah, about that. strikevillain hasn't posted at all in the thread except with his GT/time zone. so we weren't sure if he dissapeared or not. so after the deadline passed, i pm'd koji on the waitlist.

unfortunately, it looks like strikevillain is out. yeah, i know i look like an asshole but we want to keep it consistent. if he had at least posted once about the status of the match or letting us know he was really busy and couldn't get the game in on time, then we would understand.

N.A

Banned
woodchuck said:
uhh.....yeah, about that. strikevillain hasn't posted at all in the thread except with his GT/time zone. so we weren't sure if he dissapeared or not. so after the deadline passed, i pm'd koji on the waitlist.

unfortunately, it looks like strikevillain is out. yeah, i know i look like an asshole but we want to keep it consistent. if he had at least posted once about the status of the match or letting us know he was really busy and couldn't get the game in on time, then we would understand.

He did get the game in on time.
Edit: Well, at least played it on time.

woodchuck

N.A said:
He did get the game in on time.
Edit: Well, at least played it on time.

oh ok. nevermind then. he can stay then.

i guess in the future, if someone knows they're going to have trouble getting a match in on time, just post about the status of the match instead of going MIA.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Ah cool I get to play a game this week, Cornballer I sent you a FR yesterday my gamertag is AndresON777...I'm free tomorrow all day or the rest of the week.

Mondays I work all day so I dont get home until late at night.

ChrisGoldstein said:
Ah cool I get to play a game this week, Cornballer I sent you a FR yesterday my gamertag is AndresON777...I'm free tomorrow all day or the rest of the week.

Mondays I work all day so I dont get home until late at night.
Sounds good. I accepted your FR last night. Tuesday night is fine for me. I usually get home by about 5pm PT.

Fifty

"Bye" when can you play this week? I'm free all tonight, Wednesday from 8-10 Eastern, and Thursday 7-10. Let me know..thanks!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Let's do this sneaky. Here's hoping I can figure out how to score a goal with this team before our game. I'm usually available after 9 EST on weeknights and this weekend is pretty open.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I need a new formation and custom tactics. I'm still using my old AC Milan strategies and that doesnt work quite as well with Chivas

I miss Dinho =(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ChrisGoldstein said:
I need a new formation and custom tactics. I'm still using my old AC Milan strategies and that doesnt work quite as well with Chivas

I miss Dinho =(

srsly i think i could basically play defensive and prevent anyone from ever scoring on me but the minute i go a little bit offensive the flood gates open. clearly the formations that worked for me with the elite teams do not work with the crappy teams. which is rough b/c it took me about eight league games to settle in with a strategy and now i have to scrap the whole thing and start over.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
AstroLad said:
srsly i think i could basically play defensive and prevent anyone from ever scoring on me but the minute i go a little bit offensive the flood gates open. clearly the formations that worked for me with the elite teams do not work with the crappy teams. which is rough b/c it took me about eight league games to settle in with a strategy and now i have to scrap the whole thing and start over.

Same here. What sucks for me as that these scrubs on my team cant do any of the elite trick moves which I have always relied on.

I'm just playing with chivas against the computer which I think can be a bad thing because I can beat the computer on legendary but that is almost a whole other game than when you play against a human opponent.

The computer is so predictable.

I think you can download formations, custom tactics, etc from xbl....these are user created strategies although I dont know how well it'll work.

I havnt done it yet but I read it on the internet and I think there's some options in the fifa menu to download these strategies

sneaky77

AstroLad said:
Let's do this sneaky. Here's hoping I can figure out how to score a goal with this team before our game. I'm usually available after 9 EST on weeknights and this weekend is pretty open.

Tonight good?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Friendly reminder to everyone as the regular season starts.

Controller Settings

shooting: any
passing: semi or manual
through ball: auto or manual
crosses: semi or manual
lob through ball: auto or manual

woodchuck

looks like i have to play Magicked and Tf53 this week. my back-to-back title run starts now. the rest of the league is on notice

Daigoro

nice one Cornballer. :lol

AstroLad said:

ChrisGoldstein said:
Same here. What sucks for me as that these scrubs on my team cant do any of the elite trick moves which I have always relied on.

I'm just playing with chivas against the computer which I think can be a bad thing because I can beat the computer on legendary but that is almost a whole other game than when you play against a human opponent.

The computer is so predictable.

I think you can download formations, custom tactics, etc from xbl....these are user created strategies although I dont know how well it'll work.

I havnt done it yet but I read it on the internet and I think there's some options in the fifa menu to download these strategies

haha. now you suckers know how it feels! time to work your asses of to score a goal. no more leet strikers to rely on!

next up: One Star Teams League.

for real. i want to do it. i call dibs on Queensland Roar.

I sent you a FR Daigoro. I'm free most nights this week after 5pm PT. Wednesday's the US game, so I won't be on until a little later that night.

Daigoro

so, looks like i got the two LA teams to deal with this week. ive never played either on of you guys, should be fun.

my GT is Matty Thorns (please fix in OP). i sent you guys FR's.

i dont think tonight is good for me (maybe late actually), i had a few things planned. but we'll figure it out. im available pretty regularly in the early afternoon and late evenings.

Cornballer said:
I sent you a FR Daigoro. I'm free most nights this week after 5pm PT. Wednesday's the US game, so I won't be on until a little later that night.

make sure you got the right GT. see above.

yeah Wed! cant wait. i think im going to call out sick to stay home and see the game.

Daigoro said:
make sure you got the right GT. see above.

yeah Wed! cant wait. i think im going to call out sick to stay home and see the game.
Yup, I switched the invites, so we're good to go now. I'm also out tonight, so let's shoot for later this week.

Game on Wednesday should be fun - I'm ditching work early to check it out.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Yeah the game on wednesday should be ace, I'm Colombian but I usually cheer for the US (except '94 lol) since I've lived here since I was a little boy.

Plus I like to see Mexico get a good beat down so I can dog some of my friends

Matty Thorns I always see you online dude we should play some practice games

I'm almost always signed into live so I'm usually down for some friendlies

Daigoro

yeah, lets do it Chris.

i played a ton this weekend and im really enjoying myself. i ignored this game for too long after the last league.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Daigoro said:
yeah, lets do it Chris.

i played a ton this weekend and im really enjoying myself. i ignored this game for too long after the last league.

I finally got a used 120 gig drive off of ebay so I installed it.

Is it just me or is fifa 09 the loudest damn game on the 360? (disc drive I mean)

sounded like my shit was going to die...on both my old system and my new jasper

ChrisGoldstein said:
Yeah the game on wednesday should be ace, I'm Colombian but I usually cheer for the US (except '94 lol) since I've lived here since I was a little boy.

Plus I like to see Mexico get a good beat down so I can dog some of my friends
Good man.
ChrisGoldstein said:
Is it just me or is fifa 09 the loudest damn game on the 360? (disc drive I mean)
For some reason the intro section (getting to that Ronaldinho pic) always hangs my system up a bit, even when I'm running off the HDD. Not sure why.

Magicked

Daigoro said:
haha. now you suckers know how it feels! time to work your asses of to score a goal. no more leet strikers to rely on!

next up: One Star Teams League.

for real. i want to do it. i call dibs on Queensland Roar.

Hah, yes! Glad to see everyone struggling with the MLS teams this time around! 1 star teams would be fun too. I started a new MM game at the bottom of League 2, and it's been pretty fun actually.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
cool i might be around late tonight too i'll pm you to see if you are.

hope everyone else is planning their games. let's not have the situation we had with a few people last season where people waited until sunday at 9 pm and were like "zomg i don't know where my opponents are sorry guys!"

Top Bottom