• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 09 (360) MLS League Thread.

Also keep in mind that it's a fair amount of work to do the scheduling, stat tracking, and general management of the league. Just make sure you have to spare time to take it on since there will inevitably be issues that come up.

woodchuck

Cornballer said:
Also keep in mind that it's a fair amount of work to do the scheduling, stat tracking, and general management of the league. Just make sure you have to spare time to take it on since there will inevitably be issues that come up.

yep, the hardest part is probably making sure everyone gets their games in on time

I'm willing to organise the fixtures and track the scores and results (Home and Away) in a league table on my desktop (if that's okay with you guys). Players will then post back the scores. I don't think Top Goal Scorers is that important as the majority of them will be the strikers anyway. I'll post a screenshot of the league whenever we get a result back.

We can flexible in that X games can be played a week - time and date to be decided by the paired players. Failure to agree, or failure to post results, or play the X amount of games in time will lead to X amount of deducted points.

If you guys are okay with that I can begin straight away (with a little guidance).

k0ji-wd

yeah i think i have to say the restlesness for a new league got the better of me, i don't think i can fit in managing a league at the moment, we have two new clients for work which means I'll be stuck in Japan/HK (yay for my latency!) again for the next 2 months. I'll play in one though, I just don't have the time to make spreadsheets.

also i can't sleep, dude wanna play a few friendlies? GT: tse88

Me and Woodchuck last night played a Championship game. The teams we chose didn't have any standout players and their forwards weren't anything individually. This meant that we were restricted to a passing game in midfield to try and open one another up and it was enjoyable.

Ever come across Cristiano Ronaldo as a striker for Man Utd online?

I played k0ji-wd today and his style of play is so direct and aggressive, especially with his forward play of using the LB button to call in runs was impossible to cope with. Some of these strikers in the Championship are quick and I don't know of any Championship defence that could cope with that. I don't know how good the rest are but I'm willing to bet the player with the strongest/fastest striker(s) in his team will win this league, especially if they are so direct.

k0ji-wd tore me apart. Usually when you lose, you often blame yourself for making mistakes but k0ji-wd's style is too much to cope with. I was Arsenal in one game and comfortable everytime he got the ball, it went straight to his strikers which I had to chase down - they aren't fast but were strong, he would run wide (towards the corner kick angle) and cut back in to his midfielder. This seems simple on paper to deal with but holy shit I was exhausted. He destroyed me with his striker in the first game 1-4 (note: pray that you are not unlucky enough to get Birmingham in the league). I cursed so loud in that match I think people could hear me on the street outside. I was pissed and used the same tactic in the rematch. I won 3-1 because of Henry's pace despite k0ji-wd hitting the bar so many times.

k0ji-wd is one of the toughest I've played Online. I'm not looking forward to our fixture in the league and I hope it doesn't just become a league based on Ronaldo-esque play. You don't know happy I was to read EA fixing this in FIFA 10

SmokingBarrelX said:
We should do a UEFA Cup or something, I think that would be enjoyable, or even a CONACAF Cup. Although, in reality it doesn't matter because I will probably get whooped in the first round regardless...but I think I am getting better, that link woodchuck gave me really helped me out. Thanks!

What link?

hook me up.

k0ji-wd

Meus Renaissance said:
Me and Woodchuck last night played a Championship game. The teams we chose didn't have any standout players and their forwards weren't anything individually. This meant that we were restricted to a passing game in midfield to try and open one another up and it was enjoyable.

Ever come across Cristiano Ronaldo as a striker for Man Utd online?

I played k0ji-wd today and his style of play is so direct and aggressive, especially with his forward play of using the LB button to call in runs was impossible to cope with. Some of these strikers in the Championship are quick and I don't know of any Championship defence that could cope with that. I don't know how good the rest are but I'm willing to bet the player with the strongest/fastest striker(s) in his team will win this league, especially if they are so direct.

k0ji-wd tore me apart. Usually when you lose, you often blame yourself for making mistakes but k0ji-wd's style is too much to cope with. I was Arsenal in one game and comfortable everytime he got the ball, it went straight to his strikers which I had to chase down - they aren't fast but were strong, he would run wide (towards the corner kick angle) and cut back in to his midfielder. This seems simple on paper to deal with but holy shit I was exhausted. He destroyed me with his striker in the first game 1-4 (note: pray that you are not unlucky enough to get Birmingham in the league). I cursed so loud in that match I think people could hear me on the street outside. I was pissed and used the same tactic in the rematch. I won 3-1 because of Henry's pace despite k0ji-wd hitting the bar so many times.

k0ji-wd is one of the toughest I've played Online. I'm not looking forward to our fixture in the league and I hope it doesn't just become a league based on Ronaldo-esque play. You don't know happy I was to read EA fixing this in FIFA 10

they were good games man, i got a little cocky after the first game finished 4-1 and decided to try all manual for the France/Italy game, and after about 6 shots off the bar i couldn't take it anymore and went back to semi-assisted at half time during the middlesborough game. . .and there wasn't much else i could do either because i'd realized after i picked Boro that i had taken Downing out of the team and into Villa already so. . . :D

Meus Renaissance and I played two more matches, we played a Coca-Cola Championship League friendly, and a K-League friendly.

(As always, my team comes first.)

South Hampton 0 v. Doncaster Rovers 3

Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma 3 v. FC Seoul 2 (extra time)

I am learning that I definitely need to set the pace, and control the possession. Until extra time in the second game I could not get any shots on goal, and it took forever for me to bury that winning goal.

The series between myself and Meus Renaissance is now at 7-5. I will not let up!

::EDIT::
I just looked up Seongnam Ilhwa Chuma, they are the most successful Korean League team in history. Looks like I picked a winner. :lol

I think we should start recruiting or trying to get sign ups. Can you do that Astro? I can't create threads at the moment. Just announce the context of the league - Coca Cola Championship, and then when we get at least 10 people I can start The Plan

woodchuck

Meus Renaissance said:
If we did the UEFA Tournament, we could use this. But I doubt we could get enough players.

holy shit. that looks amazing

Meus Renaissance said:
I think we should start recruiting or trying to get sign ups. Can you do that Astro? I can't create threads at the moment. Just announce the context of the league - Coca Cola Championship, and then when we get at least 10 people I can start The Plan

Not a good idea to get sign-ups this early. A lot of people won't even end up buying the game or decide to quit the league. Last year was pretty good as we did sign-ups couple days after the game was released.

woodchuck said:
holy shit. that looks amazing

It's just a template I came across, I didn't make it. It was password protected but unlocked it so we could edit it and use it ourselves.

Not a good idea to get sign-ups this early. A lot of people won't even end up buying the game or decide to quit the league. Last year was pretty good as we did sign-ups couple days after the game was released.

I meant for FIFA 09. FIFA 10 won't be released for a long time yet to come. We have around 8 weeks. We could take a maximum of 13 people and play 3 games per week. We'd finish the league just before FIFA 10's release.

Guys, spoke to a nice mod, and I need to know what to include in such a sign up. Can I choose? Is it deserving of a new thread? How do we advertise it? Does it go directly in the Online section?

Thanks

woodchuck

Meus Renaissance said:
Guys, spoke to a nice mod, and I need to know what to include in such a sign up. Can I choose? Is it deserving of a new thread? How do we advertise it? Does it go directly in the Online section?

Thanks

Here are the past sign-up threads:

Champions League: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338084
MLS sign-up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350338
World cup sign-up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357313 For this tournament, we had a draft order. The worse you did in the MLS league, the higher the pick for the World Cup. But there's no point to doing a draft order if you're going to do Coca-Cola Championship league since all the teams are about equal.

But since we've established a core group of players who are dependable, we give priority to those guys first in terms of both a place in the league as well as their team of choice. Of course, since you're organizing the league, that doesn't apply to you!

I would recommend first either posting here the details of the league and see what regular members are interested (or pm them). Then post a general sign-up thread in the gaming forum to fill any remaining spots. And if there's more people interested than spots, then start the waitlist.

I would also recommend posting the approximate dates the league will last and how many games the people have to play per week.

If you want a list of reliable members, pm me.

and in the OP of the sign-up thread, I would REALLY stress the importance of actually playing your games on time and not waiting until the last minute. Lot of people sign up just because they think it's fun, but they don't actually care to schedule and play their games.

league.png

To ensure competitiveness, this time we're organising a league based on the Coca Cola Championship League.

Q1. Can we choose any team from that league?

No. The teams will range from those rated 2.5 stars to 3 stars. This means a total of 16 possible teams are available for you to choose (look at banner).

Q2. How many people can you take?

This is decided by two things 1) How many games per week people are willing to play 2) How many people sign up. As FIFA 10 is around 2 months away, many of those who will be playing FIFA 09 will just jump to the new game so it is important we finish this league before then. This means there are around 8 weeks of game time.

Q3. How are the fixtures drawn?

A website fixture generator will do this. I will enter the names of the selected teams, and it will calculate who plays who.

Q4. When do we play these games?

We want to be flexible this year. You will play two opponents per week, involving both a Home match and an Away match, essentially meaning you will be involved in four games per week. You can play play all your fixtures for that week any time within that week. Time and date is up to you. You can even play all your fixtures for that week in one day.

But you and your opponent here will need to agree on a time and date.

E.g.

Team A versus Team B
Team B versus Team A

Team Z versus Team A
Team A versus Team Z

Q5. Are there any rules?

When you play a fixture, make sure your result is posted on the thread - either by you or your opponent. When posting the result, it is critical that you make sure to note who was playing HOME and who was AWAY. By the end of the week, there will be four results expected from you as you had four fixtures.

Q6. Or what?

Every fixture you fail to provide will mean two points will be deducted from your league total. You could potentially be -8 down in the first week alone. This is to guarantee that only the reliable and sincere make up this league.

Q7. Can matches go to penalty shoot out?

This is not a tournament but league competition. Draws are taken into account. If a match ends in a draw, it ends as a draw - you don't take it into Extra Time or Penalties.

Q8. How will we be able to see the league table?

The entire fixture list will be available in a provided link. The table will then be updated everytime a fixture is provided and you'll be able to see that and the results in a screen-shot in the OP.

Entries So Far

Tf53
N.A - Nottingham Forest
SmokingBarrelX - QPR
Daigoro
Meus - Cardiff City
AstroLad
Cornballer
k0ji-wd

N.A

Banned
No Nottingham Forest? :sadface:

Can you remove the minimum requirement? I'd really like to play as my home team. The rest seems fine except:

-Half length should be set to 7 minutes.
-Through ball and passing assistance should be on semi.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Looks cool to me. Not sure people can handle 3 games a week though, at least with 3 different opponents. Might work to do 2 with one opponent and one with the other though I suppose.

AstroLad said:
Looks cool to me. Not sure people can handle 3 games a week though, at least with 3 different opponents. Might work to do 2 with one opponent and one with the other though I suppose.

The problem is if we limit it to 2 games per week, it will take 9 weeks to finish the league if we start of with 10 people. FIFA 10 will already be available by then. For those with little time free, you could contact your opponents and ask for them to be available within a span of 1 hour, and you can play them one after the other.

Cornballer said:
Any restrictions on controller settings?

I don't think putting a restriction on the controller settings is a good idea. Most people will need to adapt to the lower rated players, that's tough on it's own.

woodchuck

you should just do 4 games a week with 2 opponents. much easier IMO than having to schedule 3 opponents

16 players. 30 games. 8 weeks

the hardest part isn't actually the length of the games, it's scheduling them.

woodchuck said:
you should just do 4 games a week with 2 opponents. much easier IMO than having to schedule 3 opponents

16 players. 30 games. 8 weeks

the hardest part isn't actually the length of the games, it's scheduling them.

It depends on how many people we get but I think we need to prioritise on keeping the schedule as feasible as possible. If we had to play 4 games in a week, and you are paired with opponents hours behind or ahead of you, and you also work, then it'll become a chore to organise a moment in a day where you are both free x 4. And coping with that for 2 months will be hard, like you said.

The less players, the easier the scheduling will be for each person.

woodchuck

Meus Renaissance said:
It depends on how many people we get but I think we need to prioritise on keeping the schedule as feasible as possible. If we had to play 4 games in a week, and you are paired with opponents hours behind or ahead of you, and you also work, then it'll become a chore to organise a moment in a day where you are both free x 4.

The less players, the easier the scheduling will be for each person. But what would be great is if we could get 32 players, then we could just do the UEFA Champions League tournament. That would be 6 games per person, and the best who move out of the Groups will probably the more dedicated enough to continue the schedule.

4 games with 2 opponents means you only have to schedule when you are both free x 2. Just play both games back to back.

League Idea post is updated. I've sent out PM's to the reliable folk, and with assuming Koji and Midnight are interested, that gives us a total of 15 players if everyone accepts. But we should have a min of 10 players I think.

Daigoro

im interested.

im having issues with my home PC though, and ill have limited access to GAF on the weekend. so if people have problems contacting me, LIVE is your best bet for the next few weeks (unless i get this thing fixed before then).

thanks for the invite.

N.A

Banned
I'm in.

I guess it'll be handy for us to post our gamertags and timezones.

GT: AllApologies17
Timezone GMT +1 (UK)

Tf53

I'll be on my honeymoon until the 4th of August (getting married tomorrow!), but if you'll have me after that, I'm game. I can play more games to catch up if it's ok.

Edit:

Gamertag: Tf53
Timezone: GMT +2

Whatever team will do.

woodchuck

Tf53 said:
I'll be on my honeymoon until the 4th of August (getting married tomorrow!), but if you'll have me after that, I'm game. I can play more games to catch up if it's ok.

Edit:

congrats!

Also, Meus, don't include me in the list. I'm moving soon and don't know when I'll have internet or when I can play.

Meus Renaissance and I played four more games. Three as the Coca-Cola Championship, and one International.

It definitely got me excited to play in this league, and I think I found the Queens Park Rangers as my team, assuming when I get a chance to pick they will still be around. I will say there are some rubbish teams in that league though.

And I beat his beloved French team with the Germans, :lol

k0ji-wd

yeah I'm in.

currently GMT+10, soon to be GMT+9

Also, need to have players record goalscorers and MOTMs, I'd say assists too. . .we need STATS!

woodchuck

Meus Renaissance said:
Where do we create the sign up thread? In the Gaming Section (and if so, is it to be a new thread), or the Online Matchup Forum?

I'd make it in the gaming section since you get more publicity in there. It'll probably eventually get moved to the Online forum though.

woodchuck said:
if you post in the gaming section first, it will get more exposure before being moved to the online section

He changed my account here so I could make a thread, I didn't really want to ask for anything else - although i did point it out, so I just posted the thread here. It's gotten 10 views so far, I don't expect many replies to be honest.

We can have the league between the ones who've already showed interest here if the other thread fails.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The problem is literally no one, i.e. not a single person, "browses" the online forum. People go to established leagues here (through links/User CP/bookmarks) and that's it. Post a link here and in the FIFA 09 thread in the main forum and that should be a touch better. Probably the football thread in OT too.

AstroLad said:
The problem is literally no one, i.e. not a single person, "browses" the online forum. People go to established leagues here (through links/User CP/bookmarks) and that's it. Post a link here and in the FIFA 09 thread in the main forum and that should be a touch better. Probably the football thread in OT too.

I can understand that but I didn't want to get in trouble or put him in the spotlight thats why I followed his suggestion. If you guys can try to contact other mods to move the thread, that would help. I want the league to work probably more than anyone here but I'm limited to how much I can ask for mods. I've already asked it to be moved but you know..

cjelly said:
Can I play?

I'm in the UK, so GMT+1. I'd like Reading.

Click here mate,

Top Bottom