• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 09 (360) MLS League Thread.

k0ji-wd

Magicked said:
I don't know shit about the K-League, but I'd be down. Maybe I can not choke in the final this time? :lol

if we meet in the final again maybe we can JUST finish it before 10' comes out :lol

Man, I would have loved to be included in this...I am sick of playing online and facing the one trick pony that is Manchester United...I am absolutely sick of facing them.

::EDIT::
I am down for any and every potential league NeoGAF members organize. One more torney before FIFA 10 comes out?

::EDIT II::
I am up for a game anytime I am on, send me an invite; tfisher21

Since you all seem to be more experienced in the FIFA Online, I have a couple questions:

• Do you ever not play against Man U?
  • Do you play as Man U? (Please say no)
  • I just played an All Star team called Blue Wings, heard of it? It seemed like a user made team. He was a stand up player, not trying to pull shit, actually passed around and such, plus I suck (thought I was decent until playing online). So I am curious about it, about to google it.

I am really curious, I just thought it was gonna be a Korean team, since that was the league, but it turned out to be a team with (off the top of my head), C. Ronaldo, Rooney, Messi, Berbatov, among others. This is very intriguing. Thanks for any info on this.

After a quick google search, it is a real team, this kid I played just had edited rosters...This seems shady.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
[*]Do you ever not play against Man U?
I haven't played ranked in a few months, but sometimes. Thankfully I have a lot of friends that play FIFA so I never have trouble finding a friendly match when I'm in the mood. I have played about 75-100 ranked matches though.

[*]Do you play as Man U? (Please say no)
No, but I do play as Barca against them sometimes.

[*]I just played an All Star team called Blue Wings, heard of it? It seemed like a user made team. He was a stand up player, not trying to pull shit, actually passed around and such, plus I suck (thought I was decent until playing online). So I am curious about it, about to google it.
You can use custom teams in unranked matches. They are fixing this for next year.

I did see they were fixing it, and that excites me. More importantly however, I messaged the guy, and he told me he got to do that through the Ultimate Team, and that allows you to "beef up" you team.

On a cooler note, I just played and chatted with an Arsenal fan from London, and it probably made my July...It was very BA

woodchuck

I can beat Man U online about 75% of the time with Arsenal. Inter is the team that gives me a lot of headaches. Usually, ManU players just put ronaldo up top and try to run with him. It's easy to defend that if you're patient.

I like to pick teams based on star rating of the opponent.

5 star: Arsenal
4.5 star: I've been using Bourdeaux a lot recently. <3 Gourcuff
4 star: Celtic. <3 Nakamura

3 star and below, I'll just pick the main rival of the opponent or FC Dallas.

And if someone picks an international team, I'll pick USA. They're actually really good in the game and a lot of fun to play with. I can consistently beat Spain or Brazil with them. But France is still impossible.

I've had the game since release, and I've still never played as Man U ever. fuck them.

And if you see these custom teams, they're cheating. It's a known exploit.

As for another tournament, I'm going to be really busy these upcoming weeks. Starting school and moving to a new apartment. I'd love to take part in another tournament, but I don't think I have it in me to organize anything.

1) Champions League with 32 players
2) Full MLS league
3) World Cup

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how the leagues turned out. Everyone played the right way, and there wasn't any drama like in the Madden or NBA2k leagues. Of course, there were certain flakers, but that's probably to be expected. I had a lot of fun playing with everyone who was committed.

I don't think I ever updated the final MLS bracket. might be nice to have just for posterity. Wish the league daddy page was still available too :lol

I am absolute rubbish at FIFA. I am finding this out since I only get an occasional win online, and usually lose by a couple goals. My defense is getting better, but I am terrible at possession and finishing...This adds up to my being bad at the entire game, although I still enjoy it.

I have never been Manchester United in an online match, but during the Champions League me and a buddy would always play the days match, and I ended up being them once or twice, they are actually a lot of fun to play with, although I hate them.

Usually I just pick a team based on their rating, and try to match it from one of the other leagues. Or I just be Aston Villa; they are my favorite team.

I just need tips on how to get better, I am getting very, very frustrated when I play, and I just cannot put the biscuit in the basket.

woodchuck

SmokingBarrelX said:
I am absolute rubbish at FIFA. I am finding this out since I only get an occasional win online, and usually lose by a couple goals. My defense is getting better, but I am terrible at possession and finishing...This adds up to my being bad at the entire game, although I still enjoy it.

I have never been Manchester United in an online match, but during the Champions League me and a buddy would always play the days match, and I ended up being them once or twice, they are actually a lot of fun to play with, although I hate them.

Usually I just pick a team based on their rating, and try to match it from one of the other leagues. Or I just be Aston Villa; they are my favorite team.

I just need tips on how to get better, I am getting very, very frustrated when I play, and I just cannot put the biscuit in the basket.

this is the best resource i can recommend: http://www.operationsports.com/foru...ifa09-ea-sports-updated-9-28-56k-warning.html You may have to download it because I think most of the accompanying screenshots have exceeded the bandwidth.

It's incredibly in depth and has helped me a lot. I always put my defense on "cover" in the custom tactics menu. And depending on what team I play, I'd vary my defensive line.

In game, I'd recommend sparingly using the sprint button (maybe on the wings or dribbling horizontally away from danger). I use the Left Trigger all the time to turn away from the oncoming defender. Don't be afraid to pass backwards either. Lot of the game is about patience and timing. Also, if I'm dribbling really fast on the wings and want to cut inside, I like to do a fake cross (tap X then A)

Also, look at the control settings. For our leagues, we would play passing and crossing on "semi". But most people online play everything on "assisted" which makes it a lot easier.

My gamertag is Dr Tim Whatley if you ever want to play.

Thanks for the PDF, I really appreciate it. I will hit you up on FIFA next time I am on.

P.S. That EAFootballWorld.com is a very neat site

I just kicked some Man U kids ass, and he decided to pull the plug...It made me feel so special. 3 game win streak!

I have a Hauppauge HD-PVR recorder. When the next season begins, if I'm lucky enough to be in the league, I'll record every match in 720p resolution so people can watch. Hopefully.

k0ji-wd

woodchuck do you have the interest to start a new one? if not, i guess i'll do it (i'll need some help though)

and if you new dudes wanna play you can add me, gamertag: tse88.

. . .I just don't want to be Mexico again.

woodchuck said:
Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how the leagues turned out. Everyone played the right way, and there wasn't any drama like in the Madden or NBA2k leagues. Of course, there were certain flakers, but that's probably to be expected. I had a lot of fun playing with everyone who was committed.

If you're gonna troll our threads in your thread I'm gonna troll your thread in your thread.

You guys aren't cunning enough to play in the Madden or NBA league.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
See what you do is say that there was no conflict because soccer fans are as wussy as their sport. Also no dive button in FIFA yet, so the game is totally unrealistic. That would be like taking free throws out of an NBA game.

woodchuck

k0ji-wd said:
woodchuck do you have the interest to start a new one? if not, i guess i'll do it (i'll need some help though)

and if you new dudes wanna play you can add me, gamertag: tse88.

. . .I just don't want to be Mexico again.

I don't think I can start a new one. Actually, I don't think I can even play in a new one. But if you need any help with settings things up, just let me know.

woodchuck

MidnightRider said:
I want to join whenever yall figure out that league we will play with.....

MLS again? La Liga? Bun?

for Fifa 09, our first league initially had 32 people. it was a pseudo-champions league. 16 from europe, 16 from north america. people picked any team they wanted, first come first served. maybe something similar will be done again. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337978

be on the lookout for a sign-up thread in october near the game's release.

We should do a UEFA Cup or something, I think that would be enjoyable, or even a CONACAF Cup. Although, in reality it doesn't matter because I will probably get whooped in the first round regardless...but I think I am getting better, that link woodchuck gave me really helped me out. Thanks!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What kind of software and hardware are you using to record? That's pretty intensive. I'd do it but I won't be home until late. Feel free to add me though astrothelad.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Meus Renaissance said:
Ah, PES. Went downhill after PES5 imo.
Yes, exactly. Thankfully EA completely ripped them off and then created a proper next-gen version, continuing the legacy.

woodchuck

those were fun matches Meus. that goal you scored with Cruz at the 90th minute was beautiful. Great build up play and passing.

unfortunately, i could only hear like 40% of the words you were saying.

and since you're a fellow gooner, you can hang out with the rest of gaf-arsenal fans somewhere else (apparently, posting the link to the forum is banworthy). pm me if you're interested.

woodchuck said:
those were fun matches Meus. that goal you scored with Cruz at the 90th minute was beautiful. Great build up play and passing.

unfortunately, i could only hear like 40% of the words you were saying :

and since you're a fellow gooner, you can hang out with the rest of gaf-arsenal fans at footballthread.com

It was fun playing with you - I've rarely come across players who actually like to keep the ball. I never managed to adapt to that, the first match was tensely tactical - both feeling the others pace and trying to get into our own rhythms. It's safe to that once you get in your rhythm there isn't much left to be said :lol You played me off the pitch man, I couldn't cope with it :lol

Anyway I'm just rendering the first match now, and I'll create some kind of montage for the other two if I have the time tomorrow. Those 3 matches weighed at almost 10GB of data!

Adding both AstroLad, and Meus. I will be on at 11:30est if any are around :) You can kick my ass :)

And Boooo Arsenal (although if I had to pick one of the big four, I would pick them. I love Fàbregas.)

Go Aston Villa!

k0ji-wd

Meus Renaissance said:
Meus versus Woodchuck (France v Germany)

I'll have a montage of the other two games we had in one video later today, they were...eventful. By the way, can anyone let me know how the video performs in that (not the quality but performance). I usually encounter stuttering and frame-rate drops in other videos

suttered here and there througout the video for me, looks good though!

anyways, I'm going to start a league thread in the next few days then. . .just can't decide what league/worldwide champions league? personally i enjoyed the mls league alot more since teams were more often than not very even and the gameplay was more realistic. Maybe the Coca Cola Championship?

Guess we'll see depending on how many people actually sign up.

k0ji-wd said:
suttered here and there througout the video for me, looks good though!

anyways, I'm going to start a league thread in the next few days then. . .just can't decide what league/worldwide champions league? personally i enjoyed the mls league alot more since teams were more often than not very even and the gameplay was more realistic. Maybe the Coca Cola Championship?

Guess we'll see depending on how many people actually sign up.

Yeah its being picked up today so I can get a replacement. Hopefully that one works without a hitch.

A Coca Cola Championship would be great. I haven't really played Leagues, how does it work? Are the fixtures automatically compiled? Can we choose our own teams?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
We've done it a few ways for FIFA 09. First woodchuck and I ponied up the dough for a leaguedaddy-hosted site that had some decent features and presentation, but in the end the lack of customizability was annoying. Then for the MLS league we just kept all the main info in the OP and woodchuck ran Google spreadsheets keeping track of stats and results.

AstroLad said:
We've done it a few ways for FIFA 09. First woodchuck and I ponied up the dough for a leaguedaddy-hosted site that had some decent features and presentation, but in the end the lack of customizability was annoying. Then for the MLS league we just kept all the main info in the OP and woodchuck ran Google spreadsheets keeping track of stats and results.

That sounds good. Do we pick our teams or is the luck of the draw? What if the first group of people take all the good teams, and the rest are left with lower teams - how do we assure it remains competitive?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Meus Renaissance said:
That sounds good. Do we pick our teams or is the luck of the draw? What if the first group of people take all the good teams, and the rest are left with lower teams - how do we assure it remains competitive?
Up to koji I suppose. Last league we did give priority to previous members (who hadn't bailed on the league). As to how you ensure competitiveness--You don't! We've never really had a problem with any league being stupidly unbalanced.

Lemme know when you guys get the new league set up. Sounds like fun. Good to have some new blood around here - feel like I've played most of the regulars a lot.

Top Bottom