• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 09 (360) MLS League Thread.

I should have just uploaded the Milan derby instead of that International match. It was much more entertaining to play (and watch). But it YouTube takes a good few hours to process the videos into HD. Instead I'm uploading Highlights between two games (with the derby the second half of it).

I was just watching over it and you only begin to realise and appreciate just how good this game looks and sounds. The crowd chanting is hyper realistic, and the animations as players get bundled over or torn down is excellent

woodchuck

Cornballer said:
Vid looks great. Now I can analyze woodchuck's style of play and figure out how to pick him apart.

:lol

i realized when i was playing you + QVT my passing was on "assisted". makes a huuuge difference. oops. in those vids, it's on Semi.

Meus Renaissance said:
Does anyone else feel a greater weight in the movement and response time of your players Online in comparison to Offline matches?

yeah, i've noticed that too. could be due to a slight lag

Well from what I've noticed Woodchuck likes to play a passing game. Although you don't see it in those highlights, he had a much possession rate. He builds up moves. He does not like being rushed or pressured off the ball when using teams with no real sprinters in the side (e.g. Milan). I remember having a moment in the Milan match where I played decent (yes, its a moment to savour) and it was only because I was more direct in my plat and chased him down more.

To be honest with you though, the easiest way to win in FIFA is to be direct. I come across people using Ronaldo up front, or using Walcott, Lennon, Cole - all sprinters in their side and just jerking off to that through ball mechanic throughout the entire game. It's frustrating and enough to unsettle any player.

woodchuck said:
Yeah, i've noticed that too. could be due to a slight lag

It sucks

woodchuck said:
i realized when i was playing you + QVT my passing was on "assisted". makes a huuuge difference. oops. in those vids, it's on Semi.
24oprmu.gif

woodchuck

Meus said:
To be honest with you though, the easiest way to win in FIFA is to be direct. I come across people using Ronaldo up front, or using Walcott, Lennon, Cole - all sprinters in their side and just jerking off to that through ball mechanic throughout the entire game. It's frustrating and enough to unsettle any player.

they really need to tweak some stuff. I've played against people who put PATRICE EVRA as striker just because he's godly fast.

Cornballer said:
]http://i29.tinypic.com/24oprmu.gif[/I]

i changed to assisted to help our club team!

woodchuck

Meus Renaissance said:
Woodchuck, fancy another round of matches later on? I'm available in an hour, before the missus returns

i have some work to do, but i can probably play around 5pm CST. I think that's 11pm your time. If that doesn't work out, then maybe some other time.

Meus Renaissance and I just played five games.

(note: my team comes first. These were the scores to the best of my knowledge. I know, it is sad.)

Aston Villa 1 Arsenal 0

Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2

Inter 2 Milan 0

France 1 England 1 (4-2p)

Aston Villa 0 Arsenal 0 (3-1p)

I am leading the season series 4 games to 1, but we had a blast. Two wins off penalties, and I won the first game because he scored on his own goal. We are a great match-up!

That was my first experience playing with NeoGAF, and it was great...I will definitely keep this up.

Hey, like I said, that is sure to fluctuate. :D

(quick note, I am currently at my parent's residence until I return to school for fall semester on August 19th [?]. So, if I am not responding to invites and/or messages, it is because it is most likely my younger brother playing. I don't want anyone to feel slighted and/or annoyed because I am not responding!)

I'm itching for a rematch so I don't develop a rep here for being the FIFA whooping boy. I lost to Woodchuck 2 or 3 times, and to Smokey 3 times. That's at least 6 losses with only 2 wins. I can't put anymore defeats up on YouTube,

320x240.jpg

"I canna do it, Captain" :lol

SmokingBarrelX said:
and props to the name Cornballer, top three show I have seen ever, I love it. Cannot wait for the movie.
*high five*
Meus Renaissance said:
I'm itching for a rematch so I don't develop a rep here for being the FIFA whooping boy. I lost to Woodchuck 2 or 3 times, and to Smokey 3 times. That's at least 6 losses with only 2 wins. I can't put anymore defeats up on YouTube,
Don't worry, there's plenty of cannon fodder around GAF if you need it.

k0ji-wd

Meus Renaissance said:
I'm itching for a rematch so I don't develop a rep here for being the FIFA whooping boy. I lost to Woodchuck 2 or 3 times, and to Smokey 3 times. That's at least 6 losses with only 2 wins.

i seem to remember winning 10-0 against someone in the first league :D :D :D :D

woodchuck

k0ji-wd said:
i seem to remember winning 10-0 against someone in the first league :D :D :D :D

with portsmouth :lol . we really shouldn't have grouped Portsmouth in the same division as the other Coca-Cola teams. I think the original owner was some other Championship team, but decided to change teams to portsmouth at the last second

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
First league was rough. Second one went a lot smoother. I'm sure the first FIFA 10 league will be brutal as well unless we're fairly discerning--40+ sign-ups of "ZOMG I PICK [FAVORITE TEAM/POPULAR TEAM]" where the people then disappear after signing up or playing 1-2 games.

woodchuck

AstroLad said:
First league was rough. Second one went a lot smoother. I'm sure the first FIFA 10 league will be brutal as well unless we're fairly discerning--40+ sign-ups of "ZOMG I PICK [FAVORITE TEAM/POPULAR TEAM]" where the people then disappear after signing up or playing 1-2 games.

I think the disparity between the top teams and bottom teams was too much in the first league.

For Fifa 10, we should do either MLS again or Coca-Cola Championship.

I know you hate putting limits on what teams to pick, but I think a "4 star and under" league would be pretty fun.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't know though, wasn't Portsmouth beating far superior teams? I can't think of any real problem with that league I would tie specifically to team quality, much more so owner quality. I do like the idea of a theme though, much more so than a champion's league mishmash.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No one should be losing 10-0; I don't care if it's ManU-Gold Pride. First league had some serious, serious problems with owners. How many people had to be subbed in even in the playoffs? Think it was because it was GAF's first real FIFA league and also you had a lot of people signing up who had no experience with sports-game leagues of any sort, which leads to the fantasy-sports dilemma: Casual players think it's the most fun to pick/draft, but then couldn't give a shit about the rest. I think that'll be a lot less of a problem with FIFA 10 now that we have a great established base of around 10 players to build on,

woodchuck

AstroLad said:
No one should be losing 10-0; I don't care if it's ManU-Gold Pride. First league had some serious, serious problems with owners. How many people had to be subbed in even in the playoffs? Think it was because it was GAF's first real FIFA league and also you had a lot of people signing up who had no experience with sports-game leagues of any sort, which leads to the fantasy-sports dilemma: Casual players think it's the most fun to pick/draft, but then couldn't give a shit about the rest. I think that'll be a lot less of a problem with FIFA 10 now that we have a great established base of around 10 players to build on,

that's true that we finally have an experienced core to play with.

also, i bet it could have been much worse than 10-0...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJN962bgUk

k0ji-wd

that team I beat was. . .Sevilla!

and I only played Crouch once. . .off the subs bench. . .just David Nugent all the time :lol

The MLS league was definitely the best league out of the three we've played, which is why I think the next league (be it for 09 or 10) should be the Championship or the Bundesliga Division 2.

And I still remember the exhilaration of scoring that equalizer against Astro in the semis with a few minutes to go. . .BLANCO!!!!!

BAM!!

WJD

I'd be up for something next season. I support United, but would gladly play as Notts Forest for balance issues.

Though, by the sounds of things - you might not need any more players :lol

I'm creating/editing an excel spreadsheet template for a potential league. Would that be helpful? How were the stats tracked and goal difference calculated? Automatic or manually added?

Meus Renaissance said:
I'm creating/editing an excel spreadsheet template for a potential league. Would that be helpful? How were the stats tracked and goal difference calculated? Automatic or manually added?
Might look into doing it online using google docs. That way more than one person can update it, and it's accessible to everyone.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
but there isn't even a league yet! when there is one i would prolly suggest using google docs--hell using the one we already have even

AstroLad said:
but there isn't even a league yet! when there is one i would prolly suggest using google docs--hell using the one we already have even

You're probably right. I needed to keep myself busy. So is the next league for FIFA 10 or before that?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I thought someone was starting an 09 thing. For 10 all bets are off, maybe EA will have a great league system so that we don't need to track everything ourselves.

:lol

woodchuck

Meus Renaissance said:
You're probably right. I needed to keep myself busy. So is the next league for FIFA 10 or before that?

i'm up for a fifa match if you want to keep yourself busy

The OP also has links to the spreadsheets we used for schedule and standings. The schedule was randomly generated from http://schedules.footballguys.com/

and i think we did 2 games per week

So Meus Renaissance and I played five more games. He went on a four game tear, and then lost to me in the fifth, bringing the season series to:

SmokingBarrelX (tfisher21) 6 games
Meus Renaissance (Starfleets) 4 games

France is certainly your team Meus Renaissance.

I would post the scores, but I can hardly remember them, and I tried to look them up, but it seems to only save ranked match scores, which is rather upsetting.

Woodchuck, Meus Renaissance and I played 2 on 1 and it was a lot of fun! Although I would love to get more people involved in that system of play. Woodchuck and I were Aston Villa and Meus Renaissance was Arsenal. We won 2 to 1, but I do believe their is a handicap involved.

(note to others, my gamertag is tfisher21, feel free to add me, I am always up for a game :D)

::EDIT::
Another thing to add, if you are looking for someone to be League Commissioner, I am willing to do it (although, I am sure I would need help). I am incredibly organized (borderline OCD), and I would seriously enjoy it. Let me know!!

Me and Wood just got off a few games playing Championship teams and I have to admit it was rather enjoyable focusing on actual team play rather than individuals. Knowing that players on their own won't do much forces you psychologically to think harder and go slower in your passing. Some great team goals were scored and he won a closely fought match 2-1, then scored an absolute screamer in the second match.

It's fun playing the rest of the guys here. What I like is that the skill level doesn't vary too much to anyone can win on their day. It's also nice to come across some friendly people. There are some jerks out there Online in this game, believe me. One guy got beat the other day and was making accusations that his console was hacked and team stats intentionally lowered :lol :lol He was not amused, promising to call Sony/Microsoft to complain.

Others have been known to get so mad they send you their phone number asking you to give them a "call" :lol You gotta love football and the passion :D

So how does a league announcement come? I'm guessing Astro does it? Coca Cola Championship sounds good. There are 16 teams in that league with a rating between 2.5 stars and 3 stars. If we're going to have around 10 people taking part, putting those teams in a raffle seems the best way to assure competitiveness.

woodchuck

Meus Renaissance said:
So how does a league announcement come? I'm guessing Astro does it? Coca Cola Championship sounds good. There are 16 teams in that league with a rating between 2.5 stars and 3 stars. If we're going to have around 10 people taking part, putting those teams in a raffle seems the best way to assure competitiveness.

for the previous leagues, we did it first come first served. And veterans who we know are reliable get first preference over newcomers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The way it usually goes is:
-Sign-Up thread in gaming forum (or in Online, as long as you post a link in this thread and the main FIFA 09 thread in Gaming (which is rarely used anymore)).
-Get sign-ups, prioritize as necessary.
-Make schedule, rules, etc.

I can play, but I don't have the time to start up and run a league right now.

Top Bottom