• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fight Night 2005

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I was really late to the party on 2004. I still play it daily in fact. Is there any media on Fight Night 2005?

Also, this can be played online w/ the PS2 correct? How well does it perform online?

FN2004 was great online for PS2, not much lag. 2005 will be on XBL, so nuff said there. Here's hoping they expand on the training modes and allow for different weight classes to fight each other, as well as allow your fighter to move up/down in weight class in his career.

DaCocoBrova

I'd like to see a custom camera also, in addition to custom soundtracks. Does 2004 have custom soundtracks? I looked the other day to no avail.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Fight Night rocks. I knocked out everybody I faced here on the board! :D

Online is supersmooth, even through my router. Probably the smoothest EA Sports title I've played online so far.

DaCocoBrova

And it's free (to play online). I need to get the PS2 version then. Graphically, is it any different than the XBOX version?

BTW, do you all have custom boxers? I do. His name is Speed Knot Jenkins and he will bust yo sh!t!

Fight Night was/is fucking great. I was well on my way to being GA champ before the board change. If they make 2005, here are somethings that need to be changed.

1) Add a clinch. Very important for those inside fighters.

2) Add the ability to bob and weave as you move foward. Sluggers need this.

3) Get rid of that parrying shit. Has no place in a boxing game.

4) Get rid of button control. Total control was awesome, if you were playing against someone who used it. buttons made the game a total masher, and very unfun IMO.

5) Stamina needs a major overhaul in this game. Mashers using button control can basically mash out combos all the day long.
6) Ability to edit in game fighters stats. Marciano's ratings were fucked in that game, need to be changed.

All that being said, FN is still the best boxing game I ever played. They did allot right.

Fusebox

Banned
And give me back a decent amount of health when I hit the canvas so I've got a hope in hell of coming back like Rocky.

Fusebox said:
And give me back a decent amount of health when I hit the canvas so I've got a hope in hell of coming back like Rocky.

You need to have a higher Heart rating. My GAF Tourney boxer had 100 Heart and was back up to half health in about 5 seconds.

casmaksen

Banned
Biff Hardbody said:
Fight Night was/is fucking great. I was well on my way to being GA champ before the board change. If they make 2005, here are somethings that need to be changed.

1) Add a clinch. Very important for those inside fighters.

2) Add the ability to bob and weave as you move foward. Sluggers need this.

3) Get rid of that parrying shit. Has no place in a boxing game.

4) Get rid of button control. Total control was awesome, if you were playing against someone who used it. buttons made the game a total masher, and very unfun IMO.

5) Stamina needs a major overhaul in this game. Mashers using button control can basically mash out combos all the day long.
6) Ability to edit in game fighters stats. Marciano's ratings were fucked in that game, need to be changed.

All that being said, FN is still the best boxing game I ever played. They did allot right.

agree with all except3 and 4. Parrying should stay it works well and is a part of boxing though they exagerated the effects a little too much. As for button control it should definatly stay to make it more accesibble. i like to play my young cousins and it gives them a chance and me a lil offline competition. Its also satisfying to beat a masher in any fighter.

I thonk they need to work on that wholepicture matching thing for getting up off the floor. its way too hard for most players. It should be easier on your 1st knockdown if u arent that hurt and get progessivly more difficult as your fighter tirwes. The stamina is defo fucked up in this game. working the body doesn't pay off as good as it should. and fighters knocked down by a body shot should stay tender in that area for atleast a round.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Fight Night 04 was awesome, Biff and I shared some of my favorite multiplayer gaming moments ever in it.

DaCocoBrova

Stick control/freestyle sucks.

I hate it.

In fact, I didn't even enjoy the game until I mapped the face buttons to be the punch buttons. Been loving it ever since.

Ramirez

I'm sorry,but it doesn't suck,maybe you don't know how to properly use it,but it doesn't suck :)

Its hard at first,but once you get it down,playin with the buttons is weaksauce.

DaCocoBrova

Maaaaan... Whatever. Method of input is trivial. It's all about who wins.

DaCocoBrova said:
Maaaaan... Whatever. Method of input is trivial. It's all about who wins.

*makes mental note never to play DCB online in Fight Night*

Seriously, the advantage of button mashing is too great to overcome. It's completely unfair the way the game is currently--face button control scheme allows you to unleash 8 punch combos like nothing....combine that with a powered-up Career mode boxer with 100 Strength/Speed and you get 30 seconds KOs. If they at least added a filter for online gameplay to allow for button users/stick users to play separately (or, if you're a masochist, to play against a button user if you're using stick), then I could live with the button control scheme staying in the game. Otherwise, it's gotta go.

DaCocoBrova

I won't argue since I have never played the game online. But I do play the game with other people 95% of the time I play FN, and it really doesn't matter what the other person used control-wise.

Any button masher will eat canvas against me because I will see their flurrys coming...

I'll move out the way and hit 'em hi/low 4-5 piece.

It's all about countering.

I like the right analog to be my blocking stick. Left analg moves. Face buttons are punched. Left trigger is for the body. Right is for 'freestyle' control when used in conjunction w/ the right analog.

Perfect control set up for me.

Top Bottom