• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reciepts from the original SF4 thread to defend my SF-player-status:

16da2s.png

I remember that nobody in that arcade liked SF4(me included) so we all just kept playing 3s while that SF4 machine sat open. Plus, it was 4 times the cost to play.

3s is probably the reason why I never pick projectile-heavy characters(although I do enjoy the occasional sagat set), my fireball game is so bad lol

So is everything else, but still. I like having good midrange pokes, that's where I'm most comfortable. SF4 Ken, Vega, Mitsuru in P4A, Wesker in Marvel 3, Dio in Jojo's. Right outside my opponent's footsie range. That's where I wanna be in every game.

Amane in BB

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182893739]3s is probably the reason why I never pick projectile-heavy characters(although I do enjoy the occasional sagat set), my fireball game is so bad lol

So is everything else, but still. I like having good midrange pokes, that's where I'm most comfortable. SF4 Ken, Vega, Mitsuru in P4A, Wesker in Marvel 3, Dio in Jojo's. Right outside my opponent's footsie range. That's where I wanna be in every game.

Amane in BB
[/QUOTE]
Have you tried SFV Chun?

it's like you can't help but sound like a jackass sometimes lol
I think it is a requirement for posting here or something.

I wonder how many others are like me: brought back by Marvel 3, not SF4.
I was in the unique position where, as a kid, I thought MvC2 was an evolution of SF. So when SFIV came out, I rented it expecting even more extreme and awesome play. Imagine my dissapointment when I turned the game on. I won a few matches online with Sagat (coincidental pick) and never turned it on again. I didn't tune back in until Marvel 3 was announced.

Actively?

I mean, I played SFIV at launch, but I wouldn't say I was active. My bad, if so. Never saw you talk about it.

Yeah, I've played almost every day since Super came out, with the exception of when I was playing Marvel a lot. Not too seriously, but I've been playing with other gaffers at least once a week for the past half a decade. I just don't post in the SF4 threads much since I'm usually finding matches in IRC or Steam friends.

I was in the first SSF4 GAF tournament and I've been playing regularly ever since. I didn't play much Vanilla because I didn't like it, but the 3s characters got me. It was never my favorite game, but I prefer playing with people I know more than grinding games I like better alone.

Dahbomb

no nerfs, all buffs would certainly be more fun
Then you would just result in power creep until you end up with every character playing like a Marvel/anime character.

Developers would like to do all buffs and no nerfs as well until you end up creating a silly character that no one wants to play against and then you make more silly characters to compete against it and soon you have a silly game. That's probably acceptable for a Marvel game but most SF heads would never touch that game.

onionfrog

The SFV beta is really great. I'm having loads of fun and the PC version is pretty well optimized. (Game runs perfectly with a mix of med/high settings on a $120 graphics card from 2012)
So what's everyone's opinion on current state Bison? I hear he's gotten toned down a lot with each build.
I'm having a good time playing him right now. But I never played in the first beta so I have nothing else to compare current bison to.
I definitely was. I did play SF4, but very casually. The lack of support for UMVC3 brought me right back into street fighter.

Do you guys think it would be possible and appropriate to make a SFV Beta Feedback/Feature Request/Character Enjoyment Poll thread after the beta 2 is over?

Also, I wish they would do online rankings differently. I wish it was more like Pokemon gym leaders. Let me challenge #1 guy for his spot, etc.

"Fall back u nerds"
That is in another level. :p

So what's everyone's opinion on current state Bison? I hear he's gotten toned down a lot with each build.
Significant nerds that make him far less fun and interesting to play, but Knee Press is so good in this game that he is still strong.

Tripon

KoF 13 for me after a long break after KOF 2000 and Alpha 3, but then I bought SCV and SFxT and that combo drove me away again until Smash 4. I think I am back fully because of Ultra and SFV.

It could be like letter divisions. Best 10 people with Gold Belts in a FT5 to become a member, etc.

...why make it overly complicated?
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182897804]This is how VF does online ranks. You beat X people at your rank, you move up, you lose and rank down. The requirements get stricter as you rank up.[/QUOTE]

Really? Huh.

In the end I can't blame you for your mistake. GB is still free after ~7 years of SF4 :p
I don't think I've played 90% of the SFIV players here. I've played Marz quite a few times, and Kimo once. Onionfrog and hypernima used to play with me a lot. Kadey sometimes. That's all I recall.

...why make it overly complicated?
I just want a system that doesn't heavily reward grinding or exploits.

Really? Huh.

If I remember right it goes 10th-1st Kyu which is just based on EXP, then 1st to 10th Dan which is being +5 against other people at your rank, then named ranks like Master which is 3 wins in a row against people your rank and the name is different based on your playstyle. I think eventually losing once or twice is an auto rank down. Not really sure. oneida would know better.

I haven't played in years so I could be a bit off.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182881049]People really don't get that there's no nerfs or buffs yet. Capcom's balancing the entire game around variables you don't even know about, so saying Bison or Ryu got nerfed is weird. And not all the changes are necessarily balance reasons. There could be an internal philosophy for how they want the cast to perform according to their vision for the game, and they're just bringing everyone in line. Or they changed things because they caused weird gameplay issues you don't know about. The game is still in a massive state of flux, characters are losing and adding motions, dash animations are changing, character speeds are changing. Hell, I'm assuming a large part of what you guys are playing in the beta has been changed weeks ago.

So I'm not gonna worry about balance yet.[/QUOTE]

Fucking thank you for saying this.
A lot of people (especially in the beta thread) just don't seem to get it.
Max's video about "nerfs" also didn't help either.

shaowebb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182881049]People really don't get that there's no nerfs or buffs yet. Capcom's balancing the entire game around variables you don't even know about, so saying Bison or Ryu got nerfed is weird. And not all the changes are necessarily balance reasons. There could be an internal philosophy for how they want the cast to perform according to their vision for the game, and they're just bringing everyone in line. Or they changed things because they caused weird gameplay issues you don't know about. The game is still in a massive state of flux, characters are losing and adding motions, dash animations are changing, character speeds are changing. Hell, I'm assuming a large part of what you guys are playing in the beta has been changed weeks ago.

So I'm not gonna worry about balance yet.[/QUOTE]

I like this being pointed out because its really true. Remember some of the prelaunch Marvel 3 stuff? Didn't Phoenix's fireballs have even more ridiculous shit to them? Some things are allowed to rock in beta only for awhile just to see how much it messes with things. They are never intended to be permanent and are just sorta placeholders. IE stuff that was always supposed to be toned down to sensible levels but was left in for awhile fully over the top just to get a feel for how strong they might be able to leave it in its final iteration or that was just in that state during a build because it hadn't gotten tuned yet for that character.

Also the motion thing is another biggie. Some characters play better with simple changes to their motions and that alone can result in needing to play test further to see if this single change makes it so moves need their properties and frame data slightly tweaked. Imagine Spidey with the Taskmaster input on Spidey swing...likely a totally different tier placing at tourney.

Its what beta's are for. Its not nerfs yet. Its a game with placeholders receiving work as it goes. They aren't releasing builds with "final build" prototypes of folks. More or less they are releasing builds with "this much has been worked on so far" builds of folks.

I like this being pointed out because its really true. Remember some of the prelaunch Marvel 3 stuff? Didn't Phoenix's fireballs have even more ridiculous shit to them? Some things are allowed to rock in beta only for awhile just to see how much it messes with things. They are never intended to be permanent and are just sorta placeholders. IE stuff that was always supposed to be toned down to sensible levels but was left in for awhile fully over the top just to get a feel for how strong they might be able to leave it in its final iteration or that was just in that state during a build because it hadn't gotten tuned yet for that character.

Also the motion thing is another biggie. Some characters play better with simple changes to their motions and that alone can result in needing to play test further to see if this single change makes it so moves need their properties and frame data slightly tweaked. Imagine Spidey with the Taskmaster input on Spidey swing...likely a totally different tier placing at tourney.

Its what beta's are for. Its not nerfs yet. Its a game with placeholders receiving work as it goes. They aren't releasing builds with "final build" prototypes of folks. More or less they are releasing builds with "this much has been worked on so far" builds of folks.
I think it's ridiculous to not acknowledge them as nerfs and buffs. You could say this period of buffing/nerfing isn't worth getting upset over, but they are definitely buffs/nerfs.

Phoenix was never available for public play before release AFAIK. Seth said that, internally, at one point her feathers (not fireballs) went full screen, though. I can't imagine that lasted for more than a day, though, because it would mean infinite chip blockstrings just by mashing c.L - obviously stupid.

shaowebb

I think it's ridiculous to not acknowledge them as nerfs and buffs. You could say this period of buffing/nerfing isn't worth getting upset over, but they are definitely buffs/nerfs.

Phoenix was never available for public play before release AFAIK. Seth said that, internally, at one point her feathers (not fireballs) went full screen, though. I can't imagine that lasted for more than a day, though, because it would mean infinite chip blockstrings just by mashing c.L - obviously stupid.

eh...potato, po "tot" o . I'm in beard's corner on this one is all I'm saying. Folks shouldn't set their hearts on beta combos or move properties. Its more a period to get a feel for character rhythms, netcode and to spot any outliers from internal tests that stand out and see more abuse than originally predicted.

EDIT: Man it is hard to type a way to say that potato saying and have folks tell how you pronounced it different the second time lol.

I'm definitely in that category. There still isn't anything that brought the hype as much as Marvel 3. I learned my lesson with 4, though. I'm not touching SFV until I'm good and ready. I might have hated it less had I waited for more characters in the super version.

Rhapsody

Banned
『Inaba Resident』;182909261 said:
lol didn't Wolverine have an air-dash at some point?
Pretty sure everyone had an air-dash in the first public build. I'm not sure if super clashes like DBZ were still in that build.

Prelaunch MvC3 was hilarious. The reactions I see on GAF remind me of the days of SRK.

"Oh no~ Wolverine's dive kick isn't a high. This character is trash. Oh no, health nerf on Dante, he's a lot weaker now"

eh...potato, po "tot" o . I'm in beard's corner on this one is all I'm saying. Folks shouldn't set their hearts on beta combos or move properties. Its more a period to get a feel for character rhythms, netcode and to spot any outliers from internal tests that stand out and see more abuse than originally predicted.

EDIT: Man it is hard to type a way to say that potato saying and have folks tell how you pronounced it different the second time lol.
Pohtayto, pohtahto.

Once you give someone something nice you can't ever take it away, they feel like they earned it even if it was never theirs to begin with.

We need to bring in Trump to clean up this Beta welfare state and stop people from linking these handouts from jabs

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Do you know of a place where I could read the ranking system in detail?
you can read about it right here bud

you start at rank 10th kyu and playing matches, win or lose, progresses you from 10th to 1st kyu. winning gets you more progress than losing, naturally, but getting your feet wet in any capacity will rank you up.

From 1st kyu you rank to 1st Dan, then move up through 10th Dan. I believe at this point you must win to progress but there's no rank penalty for losing.

after 10th Dan is Hunter, at this point losing matches will cost you progress towards your next rank. you can have 0xp and still be a hunter, though, but any rank higher can get demoted for losing. so Hunter is like the lowest rank you can fall to at some point. there's lots of scrubs on PSN with like 30,000 games and they're still hunters, lol. some never learn

this is the same ranking systems that the arcade version uses, although the higher ranks are more restrictive there. there's also star players, fuudo is one.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
級。 Kyu Group [2 White Characters / No rectangle background]
十級 - 一級 10th Kyu to 1st Kyu

段。 Dan Group [2 White Characters / No rectangle background]
初段 - 十段 1st Dan to 10th Dan

士。 Shi Group [2 White Characters / Wood (light brown) Background]
錬士 1 Star - Hunter
烈士 2 Star - Raider
傑士 3 Star - Barbarian

者。 Mono Group [2 White Characters / Light Grey Background]
強者 1 Star - Defender
猛者 2 Star - Sentinel
王者 3 Star - Guardian

人。 Jin Group [2 White Characters / Dark Grey Background]
名人 1 Star - Warrior
達人 2 Star - Veteran
超人 3 Star - Berserker

将。 Shou Group [2 White Characters / Dark Brown Background]
智将 1 Star - Assassin
猛将 2 Star - Shatterer
闘将 3 Star - Destroyer

魔王。 Maou Group [3 White Characters / Light Silver Background]
大魔王 1 Star - Avenger
真魔王 2 Star - Vanquisher
天魔王 3 Star - Conqueror

拳聖。 Kensei Group [3 White Characters / Gold Background]
空拳聖 1 Star - Darkslayer
撃拳聖 2 Star - Grimslayer
剛拳聖 3 Star - Doomslayer

武帝。 Butei Group [3 White Characters / Dark Silver with Blue + Green in the middle Background
獣武帝 1 Star - Tigerclaw
鬼武帝 2 Star - Lionheart
龍武帝 3 Star - Dragonfang

マスター。 Master Group ("Gods" Ranks)
轟雷神 Gouraishin (God of Thunder) - Gold Characters / Blue Background with a white stripe in the middle Stormlord

爆焔神 Bakuenshin (God of Flame)- Gold Characters / Orange (top) to Yellow (bottom) Background Magmalord

天翔神 Tenshoushin (Soaring Sky God) - Gold Characters / Orange and White (middle) Background
Skylord

you can read about it right here bud

you start at rank 10th kyu and playing matches, win or lose, progresses you from 10th to 1st kyu. winning gets you more progress than losing, naturally, but getting your feet wet in any capacity will rank you up.

From 1st kyu you rank to 1st Dan, then move up through 10th Dan. I believe at this point you must win to progress but there's no rank penalty for losing.

after 10th Dan is Hunter, at this point losing matches will cost you progress towards your next rank. you can have 0xp and still be a hunter, though, but any rank higher can get demoted for losing. so Hunter is like the lowest rank you can fall to at some point. there's lots of scrubs on PSN with like 30,000 games and they're still hunters, lol. some never learn

this is the same ranking systems that the arcade version uses, although the higher ranks are more restrictive there. there's also star players, fuudo is one.

Yeah I got as far as Gladiator by the time I stopped playing VF5. I used to only play 3s on GGPO and VF4/5 in the years before SF4 came out. I played a lot of Soul Calibur 2, but there weren't as many opportunities to play with other people.

Dahbomb

『Inaba Resident』;182909261 said:
lol didn't Wolverine have an air-dash at some point?
Wolverine had an air dash along with everyone else and his Dive Kick hit overhead.

Phoenix's feathers could go full screen and had even more health.

Iron Man's tridash used to be like Magneto's and used to be pretty strong.

Among other things that get changed pre-release.

Woah, thank you Oneida. I wish SFV would have something like that.

Wolverine had an air dash along with everyone else and his Dive Kick hit overhead.

Phoenix's feathers could go full screen and had even more health.

Iron Man's tridash used to be like Magneto's and used to be pretty strong.

Among other things that get changed pre-release.
Dormammu 0D2C OTG'd. I still want that back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom