• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsody

Banned
So the first game you really try to learn is always the one you end up clocking the most hours in, right?

More or less, yeah (regarding the climb to getting good). It was a slow and steady slope until everything started clicking. I feel that reading a lot of articles helped get me to where I am today, starting with the old sonic hurricane footsies handbook. I see more and more JP players writing their thoughts out and reading translations of them too.

You eventually reach that point where you can play matches, reflect much faster on what was good or bad, put it into practice, and repeat.

The minimal amount of time I've put into fighters nowadays feel a lot more valuable than the ones I put into games way back. I'm getting a lot more out of each playtime now.
Shouta give me mod.

Dustloop is enough of a headache, and you want more?!

Tularensis

Neo Member
The more of CF I see the more I want to play it. I remember really enjoying BBCP, but the learning curve in BB games is pretty damn steep. I ended up dropping the game after a long series of curb stomps, ending in a long set against an Arakune where I had no goddamn idea what the fuck was happening on the screen. Still, CF looks like a lot of fun and I'm actually considering getting CPE to give BB an honest shot.

How's the online scene for CPE? I really started digging into the series back around the time Xrd came out, so the only people on at the time were a handful of BB diehards and a few story scrubs.

I missed the Daigo - Momochi pre-match interview. It was pretty hype. Daigo basically said that if you were to ask him what has he been doing for the past 1-2 months, his answer would be something to the effect of "I've been working on the Ken matchup." That's why the crowd basically went "oh shitttt." He said that throughout the SF4 series no matchup has been as completed/worked on/perfected as this one.

Reminded me of what he said prior to facing Infiltration. Remember he studied the Akuma matchup so much that he said it was free now? Then Tokido basically said something like "Just watch."

ShinMaruku

So the more you play the less you need to play to actually play well?

It's more that since you put in so much time you get much more efficient and you get more out of limited time you put in. First when you get into a fighting game you have information overload, when you get down into it, things become simpler when things are familiar and routine. It's akin to driving a car and other things. I seen this happen when I picked up Phase 4 in DOA5LR where you had to use her teleports to lead into many set ups, however it's just frames and tight timings I never even saw that doing the tenfu chancels led into mix ups and exploiting the trianlge system.

Now when I play it's less of me working into a tenfu but putting it out and trying to force somebody to hold and throwing them and putting my self into a good point or to just see them do nothing and delay my launch or throw to hit them with.

I missed the Daigo - Momochi pre-match interview. It was pretty hype. Daigo basically said that if you were to ask him what has he been doing for the past 1-2 months, his answer would be something to the effect of "I've been working on the Ken matchup." That's why the crowd basically went "oh shitttt." He said that throughout the SF4 series no matchup has been as completed/worked on/perfected as this one.

Reminded me of what he said prior to facing Infiltration. Remember he studied the Akuma matchup so much that he said it was free now? Then Tokido basically said something like "Just watch."

How come the Japanese scene seems as competitive as the American one, but in this making of SF2 article, it gives off the idea that Japanese players don't have the same sense of competition and preferred playing SF2 single player?

http://www.polygon.com/a/street-fighter-2-oral-history

MtG question:
I was looking at top 2015 pro tour decks, and I notice that all but 1 of the top decks are creature-based. Back in the day, it was all about OP combinations with enchantments, artifacts, and other non-creature stuff to control the game. Has MtG undergone a massive change in the meta?

Yes. Creatures have been dramatically strengthened, and they've pulled back on the other types. (Wrath of God is now a 3(M)(M) baseline instead of a 2(M)(M) baseline, for instance.) Combo almost never hits in Standard, its still all over Modern/Legacy.

In addition to this, you play a deck from Urza block. Urza block is the most broken MTG block in the history of the game. It was meant to have an enchantment theme but really just has all these insanely broken cards that allow you to play Marvel.

Standard's power level has fluctuated a lot over the years, from more normally paced formats to really fast ones, really low power ones to really broken ones. There's no standard to it, really :D

Many of the recent Standard formats have been intentionally slowed down and made more creature-based though because that's what most of the playerbase enjoys.

Yeah. It's for the best - I managed to play Counterburn for a few weeks about 3 years ago before the meta shifted to adjust for it (there was an anti-counterspell land for creatures), and it was absolutely soul crushing for people to play against.

Speaking of soul crushing to play against, my first proper Standard deck:
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Standard_Reveillark_Combo_deck

That deck's matchup chart:
Crush: The Format
Even: Merfolk
Mommy, I wanna go home: Faeries

Time Spiral - Lorwyn/Shadowmoor - Coldsnap Standard was a lovely format. So much power and diversity. I want it back D:

As for where the broken stuff went, I play Legacy, and the decks look like

http://deckstats.net/decks/368/341856-elves

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?event_ID=45&t[T3]=3&start_date=2015-11-07&end_date=2015-11-08&order_1=finish&limit=8&action=Show+Decks&city=Philadelphia

More or less, yeah (regarding the climb to getting good). It was a slow and steady slope until everything started clicking. I feel that reading a lot of articles helped get me to where I am today, starting with the old sonic hurricane footsies handbook. I see more and more JP players writing their thoughts out and reading translations of them too.

What articles do you suggest?

How come the Japanese scene seems as competitive as the American one, but in this making of SF2 article, it gives off the idea that Japanese players don't have the same sense of competition and preferred playing SF2 single player?

http://www.polygon.com/a/street-fighter-2-oral-history

Not sure. That could have been how it was like when the scene first started, but back then they did have big SF2 tournaments. I know Daigo in a recent interview said he entered his first arcade tournament in 92 as a Ken player, but knocked out in the 2nd round by a dictator player.

Street Fighter 2 1994 gamest

Anne

I'm going to sleep, next time you see me post remind me and I'll grab some JP stuff for you, or Rhapsody or somebody else can grab some stuff. Their approach is a lot different to the American approach so it's neat to see the different ways we think about it. Neither one is better than the other btw, it just tends to be different.

Rhapsody

Banned
I haven't worked for Dustloop for almost a year now and I had my password changed so I can never log in again lol

I really just want to be able to call people shit.
Dang. Guess I'm fine settling with my Smashboards mod duties and getting to call people that there.
I don't do that, I'm too nice lol
This has been posted in the past, but it's still too good to just pass up
http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702
I just find the deliberate things in footsies pretty fascinating as I started understanding it.

The stuff I read now, unfortunately they're sort of scattered about and are sometimes really specific to anime games or characters. On SRK's news page, Lord Knight has these little blog posts on how to become a better player in fighters. It might be worth checking those out. A lot of the stuff can be simple and basic, but it really doesn't hurt to review some of it either.

While this is for Guilty Gear, Nage's had some insightful posts. This one deals with the struggle of losing but analyzing losses
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kt3d_YoUH5i3g8X5putPdm74bqrTu5e1DKNuOTfG6pc/edit

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...shin-gekitotsu-match-vs-kazunoko-part-1-r557/
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...shin-gekitotsu-match-vs-kazunoko-part-2-r567/

These last two are him analyzing one of his matches in Guilty Gear. Still, really helpful on seeing how a great player breaks down his decisions every step of the way in a match.

thats pretty anime

Tripon

It'll be interesting to see what Topanga does next year. Do they try to stay with SFIV for one year, move on to SFV? Or do both games.

This has been posted in the past, but it's still too good to just pass up
http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702
I just find the deliberate things in footsies pretty fascinating as I started understanding it.

The stuff I read now, unfortunately they're sort of scattered about and are sometimes really specific to anime games or characters. On SRK's news page, Lord Knight has these little blog posts on how to become a better player in fighters. It might be worth checking those out. A lot of the stuff can be simple and basic, but it really doesn't hurt to review some of it either.

While this is for Guilty Gear, Nage's had some insightful posts. This one deals with the struggle of losing but analyzing losses
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kt3d_YoUH5i3g8X5putPdm74bqrTu5e1DKNuOTfG6pc/edit

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...shin-gekitotsu-match-vs-kazunoko-part-1-r557/
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...shin-gekitotsu-match-vs-kazunoko-part-2-r567/

These last two are him analyzing one of his matches in Guilty Gear. Still, really helpful on seeing how a great player breaks down his decisions every step of the way in a match.

Thank you <3

This is what I love about the FGC. Helping each other out and being buds.

Seems the sink or swim mentality is dying out.

Morris

Disco Devil
5hxrg0h.gif

Umechan with that rudeboy tech

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I admit sink or swim is what stopped me from trying to be a good player before. It's not dying in America?

It is, don't let the wannabe WWE frauds make you think otherwise. Sure once matches start it's gloves off obviously but outside of tournaments people are generally starting to become a lot more helpful. Though the helpful people have always been around.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
USA is not even number one at their favorite most adored Kusoge game
:3

We need more good young blood in the scenes to step shit up and get the shitty mentality old guard players knocked out.

Dahbomb

America won the biggest E sports event in history in terms of prize pool so they are still the best.

And you can't even say "oh but that's a game the rest of the word doesn't even take that seriously".

But the American FGC needs to improve for sure.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
America won the biggest E sports event in history in terms of prize pool so they are still the best.

And you can't even say "oh but that's a game the rest of the word doesn't even take that seriously".

We are talking about fighting games. America is amazing when it comes to teamwork. But get one guy on his own and that ALL OR NOTHING GOTTA BE THE BEST DON'T HELP OTHERS PASS ME EVER CANT RISK IT, mentality comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom