• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marz

Both most times. Folks who don't have things to add tend to jump into anime fighting game discussions with a lot of one liners and gifs and it turns into that really.

Right now we have:
  • Aquapazza
  • Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!
  • Blade Arcus
  • Blaz Blue Chrono Phantasma Extend
  • Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax
  • Guilty Gear Xrd (and Revelator soon)
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle
  • Persona 4 Ultimax
  • Under Night in Birth exe latest
  • Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm

...as anime titles that folks dont talk about what tools the characters use and what the meta in those games are like. It'd be nice to hear more breakdowns of characters, their specials, their strengths and real talk on these games more. Even if the meta is lopsided its not like Marvel wasn't lopsided and it had mutliple threads of talk. There's always something interesting to find in a tourney level fighting game so we should try to incorporate stuff on these more.

I've discovered a LOT of unique and interesting stuff these past 2 years by scouring info on these series that I would have never really learned about had I stuck with whatever the top flavors were in my normal threads. Just the meta of fighting chain users like Scharlacrott or Hazama alone was something wild to get into. But then I found stuff like Dorothy's trap cards in Arcana Heart and the whole "equip a whole character's amount of tools on anyone" thing with arcanas, status effect strategies in Persona 4 Ultimax, zoning in Aquapazza using Manaka's bizzarre movement tricks and books...theres a lot of stuff.

Yea I would love to have more discussion about these games. Only one I really play is Xrd and I'm still at a mediocre level but I love the toolset that characters have in the anime fighters. Only thing that sucks is that nobody in NA plays these games so they remain irrelevant.

I was watching Sako play Zato-1 against Daigo Sol yesterday and I saw him do this combo in the match:

https://youtu.be/71F8HkCzzPo

My jaw dropped, I've never seen Ogawa do something that advanced before.

ShinMaruku

Personally I think the mechanics or anime fighters are richer than other fighting games but people have hang ups andthat causes some to be bell ends.

Both most times. Folks who don't have things to add tend to jump into anime fighting game discussions with a lot of one liners and gifs and it turns into that really.

Right now we have:
  • Aquapazza
  • Blade Arcus
  • Persona 4 Ultimax

...as anime titles that folks dont talk about what tools the characters use and what the meta in those games are like. It'd be nice to hear more breakdowns of characters, their specials, their strengths and real talk on these games more. Even if the meta is lopsided its not like Marvel wasn't lopsided and it had mutliple threads of talk. There's always something interesting to find in a tourney level fighting game so we should try to incorporate stuff on these more.

I've discovered a LOT of unique and interesting stuff these past 2 years by scouring info on these series that I would have never really learned about had I stuck with whatever the top flavors were in my normal threads. Just the meta of fighting chain users like Scharlacrott or Hazama alone was something wild to get into. But then I found stuff like Dorothy's trap cards in Arcana Heart and the whole "equip a whole character's amount of tools on anyone" thing with arcanas, status effect strategies in Persona 4 Ultimax, zoning in Aquapazza using Manaka's bizzarre movement tricks and books...theres a lot of stuff.

What if people just don't like or play these games here and that is why there is not alot of discussion about them. These type of things have to be organic. Alot of people don't like or care, which is totally fine. Cant force it. Imo. Its not a bad thing.

Also, i always thought the fuck anime bus gif was funny. And i never took any of that stuff serious. People are really fuck anime in a serious way? Lol. Weird. To each their own i say.

I know anime is a term for this sub set of fighting games, but I (and my circle of friends) use "anime" in describing stuff in other media and games. Anime means exaggerated, overly dramatic, extreme physics beyond what is normal or what is established to us.

To me, all fighting games are "anime". I sometimes say i want sports games to get more arcadey and anime. I want blitz back. When optimus prime starting splitting mountains with swords, Prime was getting anime in the last season. Blah, blah.

Tripon

In the discussion thread about the next character reveal:

Inside info:

-There will be another character reveal before Brazil (So before October 10th)
-There will be around 10 characters in the 2nd Beta (So maybe Rashid, maybe not)

His source:

Capcom representative at Call of Ragnarok this weekend. I have to point out that ofc he isreall vague answering, but he does use "I am pretty sure" about this info. And he said he knew everything about characters coming etc.

And info about the beta:

The representative wasn't very clear on this, but he believed it was within a month. I would assume right after the sign up period in Japan which ends on October 14th.

I normally just shut up when the thread is discussing anime fighters because I have literally nothing to contribute aside from a yawn or something. Those games aren't talked about as much as Capcom games, and that's simply because they're not as popular. Sometimes games aren't discussed simply because they're not popular or liked very much as opposed to someone going "ew icky" at a first glance.

Hell, I've played Melty Blood and nearly every Guilty Gear released, so I can actually say that I don't like anything ASW puts out with confidence. Melty Blood was fun, although I only ever played it with my friends. Was never too interested in going deeper since I only really liked one character.

EDIT: fuck anime tho

tbh

Clawww

saying "fuck anime" before discussing anime in-depth is just a preamble. It's to let people know that even though you know more about anime than any well-adjusted person should, it's not like you're one of those people or anything. It's the "no homo" of 2015.

but seriously though, fuck anime

lmao

shaowebb

I normally just shut up when the thread is discussing anime fighters because I have literally nothing to contribute aside from a yawn or something. Those games aren't talked about as much as Capcom games, and that's simply because they're not as popular. Sometimes games aren't discussed simply because they're not popular or liked very much as opposed to someone going "ew icky" at a first glance.

Hell, I've played Melty Blood and nearly every Guilty Gear released, so I can actually say that I don't like anything ASW puts out with confidence. Melty Blood was fun, although I only ever played it with my friends. Was never too interested in going deeper since I only really liked one character.

tbh
Soooooo unless the cool folks are talking about it and it'll make you more popular don't bring it up?
Meh. Forget that noise. Telling people a game isn't popular isn't a good way to help the FGC overall. Tell them if its fun or has something interesting IMO...thats much more valuable. If its interesting and its part of the genre I will push it no matter the game. Games would get more popular if folks just had more exposure to them in my opinion. Always bugs me when folks think something is new and never been done before when its been around forever on the anime side of things. Half the time its ASW who experimented with a mechanic first when this happens. Maybe if more people spoke then more people would play.

Maybe I should make a fighting game moveset channel or something where I expose people to things that exist that didn't get enough exposure to become common knowledge in the genre or something...nah. Too many irons in the fire already. I can't fix all the issues I see wrong in the fighting game scene these days.

Soooooo unless the cool folks are talking about it and it'll make you more popular don't bring it up?

I don't know how you got that from my post, but lol

I personally don't talk about those games because

1) I have nothing of value to add to the discussion
2) The games don't interest me whatsoever

Instead of shitting on the discussion that people are having about games I either don't like or don't care about, I go do something else (something that a lot of people on GAF could learn to do tbh)

And I'm not saying discussion should STOP. I'm only clarifying why there's so little discussion to begin with. It's fine if people wanna talk about less-played fightans in here. Just...don't be shocked if less-popular stuff doesn't see much discussion, is all.

Tripon

Tourney Locator (A Smash focused org in Plano, Texas, (near Austin)) will start running $1,000 monthlies.

They did their $1K tournament for Melee on Sept. 12th

and next up is Smash 4 on Oct. 10th

dhCjy.jpg

No idea if Project M will get the same treatment.

Right now we have:
  • Aquapazza
  • Blade Arcus
  • Persona 4 Ultimax

I think we just gotta discuss the important things like whether or not you are in on that AH3 steam port. I really can't wait to have AH on my laptop since it'll make practicing much easier. Gonna have to roll the dice on NSA and Chris Hansen spying tho.

shaowebb

I don't know how you got that from my post, but lol

I personally don't talk about those games because

1) I have nothing of value to add to the discussion
2) The games don't interest me whatsoever

Instead of shitting on the discussion that people are having about games I either don't like or don't care about, I go do something else (something that a lot of people on GAF could learn to do tbh)

And I'm not saying discussion should STOP. I'm only clarifying why there's so little discussion to begin with. It's fine if people wanna talk about less-played fightans in here. Just...don't be shocked if less-popular stuff doesn't see much discussion, is all.

I can dig that. It'd be like me showing up in a discussion for FPS. I'd have nothing to add at all. I guess I'll just showcase info whenever I have it and dry to broaden people's horizons as best I can. If they try something then it'd be good for em IMO, but if not then I've at least made folks aware of toolsets and mechanics that exist elsewhere and the potential fun they bring.

Really wish more folks would copy the Arcana Heart system of equip a moveset onto another moveset and balance it with health/defense/mobility modifiers. Thing is, it probably took a lot of games and testing to make what Arcana has as balanced as it is and even it has a tier list to it. Someone goin in raw would risk a lot to do so, because it'd be hard to reign in the potential for broken tier in that sort of build. Just imagine what it would do to Marvel if it had some of those Arcana? You think its busted now...
I think we just gotta discuss the important things like whether or not you are in on that AH3 steam port. I really can't wait to have AH on my laptop since it'll make practicing either. Gonna have to roll the dice on NSA and Chris Hansen spying tho.

Oh I'm in :)
Probably gonna rock Dorothy or Maori. Just gotta find a way to deal with rushdown folks like a good Heart or Weiss. I do far better with Dorothy there but combos are pretty solid with Maori and I confirm easier with her. MIght just go with Maori with either Wind to push folks out or Evil to teleport/poison folks.

I can dig that. It'd be like me showing up in a discussion for FPS. I'd have nothing to add at all. I guess I'll just showcase info whenever I have it and dry to broaden people's horizons as best I can. If they try something then it'd be good for em IMO, but if not then I've at least made folks aware of toolsets and mechanics that exist elsewhere and the potential fun they bring.

Really wish more folks would copy the Arcana Heart system of equip a moveset onto another moveset and balance it with health/defense/mobility modifiers. Thing is, it probably took a lot of games and testing to make what Arcana has as balanced as it is and even it has a tier list to it. Someone goin in raw would risk a lot to do so, because it'd be hard to reign in the potential for broken tier in that sort of build. Just imagine what it would do to Marvel if it had some of those Arcana? You think its busted now...
It'd be nice to see more fighters do what Skullgirls did with equal health across the board. I feel like that particular design choice just makes it easier to justify widening every character's toolset instead of forcing people to take damage while waiting for an opponent to make a mistake. The arcana system itself looks pretty cool, so I'd definitely like to see more of that.
Oh I'm in :)
Probably gonna rock Dorothy or Maori. Just gotta find a way to deal with rushdown folks like a good Heart or Weiss. I do far better with Dorothy there but combos are pretty solid with Maori and I confirm easier with her. MIght just go with Maori with either Wind to push folks out or Evil to teleport/poison folks.
I won't be ready for Maori. This stuff was unknown to me, so it will wreck me hard. It doesn't help that Zenia Valov looks and plays vanilla compared to most of the cast.
Every fighting game ever made has a tier list to it.
Ah, you go 'em th-
What is the tier list for Street Fighter 1?
fuck

petran79

Banned

tbh

Anime fighters always existed. In the early 90s some computer ero doujin fighters like Metal and Lace even dared enter Western game store shelves, censored mostly. That publisher brought other Japanese games, similar in content.

303672_front.jpg

It is just that back then you had so many alternatives and better games. Unfortunately 2D fighters were turned intro niche genre, since it was in 3D fighters were all the money and popularity were.

Prior to SF4 anime fighters helped maintain the gameplay quality level high. It is just that they were played only in Japan. Western 2D fighters were a thing of the past. Especially after SNK abandoned the Neo Geo after KOF2002, 2D fighters were beginning to be ignored. Because outside Japan, you had to struggle to find anything 2D except Guilty Gear.
Mortal Kombat had moved to full 3D with mediocre results. Only way to to enjoy 2D games were some indie or emulated fighters on PC (Melty Blood) or those niche and unadvertised games on PS2 (eg Arcana Heart). Arcana Heart for the PS2 was completely unadvertised. Battle Fantasia as well. Yet they kept interesting mechanics that would help to revitalize the 2D fighting genre.
Examu having worked on Samurai Shodown V, carried over their experience in games like Arcana Heart and Daemon Bride. Battle Fantasia influenced SF4 to an extent.

Now you can ignore them but during the previous decade they were the oasis for 2D fighters. Without those games, 2D fighters wouldnt be where they are today, even the interest for the older games.

So addition to not being able to link combo standing mp into crouching hk, something about ryu's denjin hadouken charge is nerfed. They also nerfed cammy and nash in the newer build for sfv.

bison is the same.

So addition to not being able to link combo standing mp into crouching hk, something about ryu's denjin hadouken charge is nerfed. They also nerfed cammy and nash in the newer build for sfv.

bison is the same.

karst is somewhere in the shadow realm reading this while eating some placenta and smiling

ShinMaruku

Wow, you really consider him that offensive? The Count seems to love him.

His play style, tools and appearance boggles me. It's less that that than time after time Capcom say's "W'll make him better and they make him worse. I'd respect them to drop the character entirely until somebody who is less shackeled can design him.

Some people sure love him and the fact that it's good people who overrate him keeps putting him in some spotlight and makes people assume nothing is wrong with him. But man sometimes you have to know when to fold. I folded on Tekken hella quick. Capcom should do the same with DJ unless they are unbinded by tradition.
They ain't so don't bother.

ShinMaruku

What if people just don't like or play these games here and that is why there is not alot of discussion about them. These type of things have to be organic. Alot of people don't like or care, which is totally fine. Cant force it. Imo. Its not a bad thing.

Also, i always thought the fuck anime bus gif was funny. And i never took any of that stuff serious. People are really fuck anime in a serious way? Lol. Weird. To each their own i say.

I know anime is a term for this sub set of fighting games, but I (and my circle of friends) use "anime" in describing stuff in other media and games. Anime means exaggerated, overly dramatic, extreme physics beyond what is normal or what is established to us.

To me, all fighting games are "anime". I sometimes say i want sports games to get more arcadey and anime. I want blitz back. When optimus prime starting splitting mountains with swords, Prime was getting anime in the last season. Blah, blah.
To be human to to make mountains out of molehills. To me all fighting games are anime too, but people just don't see the delicious irony. I find it akin to this Chinese girl saying Japan is evil using her Sony smartphone

jerry1594

I have absolutely never seen anyone seriously say fuck anime in regards to anime fighters here. Except Dai101 ironically. I see it said towards other
Vita
games and towards actual anime, 'actual anime' being the last panel here

mbpm1

Someone goin in raw would risk a lot to do so, because it'd be hard to reign in the potential for broken tier in that sort of build. Just imagine what it would do to Marvel if it had some of those Arcana? You think its busted now...

I wouldn't mind some experimentation. But I suppose in today's climate it would be...a lot of complaining.

DunpealD

bison is the same.

According to max st.mp has gotten slower and has less hitstun but can still link into cr.hp, but not cr.hk. Something doesn't add up.
Also parry supposedly has more startup?

japanroomchange.jpg

Make the moefication stahp!

Someone on 4chan said this:

So in the latest build Ryu can V-trigger cancel all of his normals and his V-Trigger cancels give MUCH more frame advantage. If he has V-trigger he can get a knockdown combo out of non-specialcancelable normals like s.MK. He can also make his sweep safe (maybe even plus) on block with v-trigger.

VariantX

It kinda grinds my gears that Capcom keeps all changes hidden. Very frustrating to keep up with he changes in every build.

Makes no sense to me either, whats the point of changing things around if people can't experiment with it to see if they're good or bad changes?

Makes no sense to me either, whats the point of changing things around if people can't experiment with it to see if they're good or bad changes?

You just have to trust in them as they are the only ones that have access to all 16 characters and get a better feel for characters. People that are playing the early builds are going up against competitors who aren't familiar with characters or the game in general.

Rhapsody

Banned
I never really saw these as real loketests with the intention to help further balance the cast. I just saw these as events of them showing stuff on what they're ready to show. It's probably why I didn't care about them not listing the individual changes each time compared to real loketests in Japan that are shortly before release.

I don't really trust them to take in fan feedback when we've never owned the base game either to be honest compared to loketests that are version updates.

DunpealD

You just have to trust in them as they are the only ones that have access to all 16 characters and get a better feel for characters. People that are playing the early builds are going up against competitors who aren't familiar with characters or the game in general.

I trusted them with SFxT. The game made me feel like this.

EDIT: Also what Rhapsody said. We are already playing an outdated build. The only loketest-esque thing we get might be the third beta.

I think they're playing around with the system to see how people play with it. Doing it after a game has been released is a terrible idea. They probably don't think of these as "balance changes" that need to be divulged, they see it as playing around to see how different system and character changes are perceived.

They'll worry about change lists -after- they know how they want the game to be (which so far I think they dont).

Tripon

Yubiken had a good couple of weeks, they got Dashio and Shiro in Capcom Cup, something that only Madcatz (Daigo, Mago, and Tokido), Razer( Xian and Fuudo) and Evil Geniuses (Momochi, Justin Wong) have done.

And Yubiken is a smaller Japan only brand, while the others are global corporations or brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom