• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunpealD

How is it frustrating to keep up with changes that you have no way of testing yourself outside of paying to enter a convention?

It's frustrating like the SFV beta training mode.

Yubiken had a good couple of weeks, they got Dashio and Shiro in Capcom Cup, something that only Madcatz (Daigo, Mago, and Tokido), Razer( Xian and Fuudo) and Evil Geniuses (Momochi, Justin Wong) have done.

And Yubiken is a smaller Japan only brand, while the others are global corporations or brands.

Shiro is not a given. While he currently has the points there are still a lot of events left for him to get knocked off the participant list.

It kinda grinds my gears that Capcom keeps all changes hidden. Very frustrating to keep up with he changes in every build.

Why? The games not out. They are still in development and messing with things constantly. Only the few people at conventions can check anyways.

Soak in the mystery!!

DunpealD

Why? The games not out. They are still in development and messing with things constantly. Only the few people at conventions can check anyways.

Soak in the mystery!!

Interested in the evolution of the game and the fact that they are asking for feedback from those at the convention. Having to search for changes, instead of getting straight to the meat, is a waste of important time with the game.

EDIT: Also theory fighter is fun.

Dahbomb

Yeah Capcom is really only hurting themselves by not making the changes widely known. It slows down the balancing of the game when players are spending more time figuring out what changed from previous builds.

Smo21

Hey so I was looking at 3s for ps3 since i got rid of my 360 and there are two versions. One is 3.99 and the other is 14.99 for the base game and a 19.99 for a complete edition... Is the 3.99 version the full game? I'm a little confused seeing all that. Thanks in advance.

SrXIPYW.png

MtKpYYR.png

Tik-Tok

Yeah Capcom is really only hurting themselves by not making the changes widely known. It slows down the balancing of the game when players are spending more time figuring out what changed from previous builds.
Some of us enjoy the discovery process involved with a new game.

Dahbomb

Yeah that's fine and all when the game actually releases but it hasn't released yet and it's under a heavy testing phase. Capcom is on a clock here and having players first discover the game to figure out changes between the numerous builds is inefficient.

Besides location testing is very limited in time and personnel. You want to at least get the maximum amount of information out there to help the testers.

Tripon

Shiro is at 177 points

Shiro is not a given. While he currently has the points there are still a lot of events left for him to get knocked off the participant list.

Look at this thread on /r/kappa by Acekingoffsuit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/3mn2j4/big_winners_big_losers_in_the_cpt_this_week_and_a/

There's only Red Fight District for Europe and the CPTA Cheng Du event in Asia for ranking events. In the U.S. there is only Defend the North for ranking events, the wild card tournament of Costa Rica CPT ranking event. There's just little to no events for the 2nd and 3rd tier players that might catch Shiro for them to attempt to jump over. Luffy will continue to gatekeep Europe's ranking events so he can get a good seed. U.S. top players like Snakeyes, Dieminion, Strider 801 and Nuckledu will continue to place well, and Infiltration might show up to gatekeep in order to practice for Canada Cup the next week. Only Smug since he's local would be a threat to try to get points, but he plays a character that either blows people up or gets blown up and trying to win a tournament with that sort of character is hard over a whole tournament.

For Premier events, there is still SCR (US), BGS (Brazil), Milan (Italy), Canada Cup (Canada), Ultra Hakkyushu Cup (Japan), Dreamhack Winter (Germany), and Capcom Cup Asia Finals (Singapore). All the best international players that already won or have high points will travel to the events (outside of Luffy) due to the high prize pots that each event has. The only exception is for the Brazil Game show but that is fine, that is expected, and CPTA finals which is an invitationals for the winners of each CPTA qualifier.

If top 4 of a given premier event are already qualified, then the premier spot becomes an open field spot which helps out Shiro. CPTA Finals are already filled with gatekeepers (Infiltration, Bonchan, Nemo, Tonpy, Misse, Xian, Xhao Hai, MOV), and the best players who doesn't have a guaranteed spot is Bonchan and Nemo, both players who have more than enough CPT points and will free up an open field spot. Tonpy, Misse and Xhao Hai are also players with a lot of CPT points that if they get that CPTA finals spot, will help a player like Shiro.

Basically, Shiro (and Strider 801, and the people directly under them) will be fine for Capcom Cup. For Shiro to not make it, just about every Premier spot has to be taken by a player who is not high on the CPT list currently. That's 7 spots up for grabs, it's just about impossible for 7 Street Fighters players who don't have the points to grab each every Premier spot. There's just not enough talent of the 2nd and 3rd tier level for that to happen. Also, those players will have to travel to just about every ranking event left (like Gonzales is trying to do, and Shiro has done in Asia) and need to win one of them.

It's just not going to happen.

DunpealD

Are you telling me that you like the discovery process even if you only have very limited time with the game? There is difference between having a lot of time and tools to try out and not having those at hand.

Basically what Dahbomb said. I'd want to have the players to use their time to skip straight to testing out the theory that results from the changes, since it takes some time to build the muscle memory.

It's just not going to happen.
Not likely, but not impossible. Shiro would be smart to stay on his toes and try to gather more points to be safe.

CastBlanka showing his stuff
Iirc, he is also the slayer of Excellent Adventures featuring LIJoe.

jerry1594

Hey so I was looking at 3s for ps3 since i got rid of my 360 and there are two versions. One is 3.99 and the other is 14.99 for the base game and a 19.99 for a complete edition... Is the 3.99 version the full game? I'm a little confused seeing all that. Thanks in advance.

SrXIPYW.png

MtKpYYR.png
14.99 is the game. 3.99 is dlc.

shaowebb

EDIT: Also theory fighter is fun.

I find it fun. It eventually led to such a backlog of ideas to fantasize about that it made me start working harder to make my own stuff. I think theory fighting is also a great exercise to give you creativity in the lab on games. Heck, I keep hoping Juicebox's recent theory crafting of defensive mechanics might be a beginning that eventually drives him over the edge and into organizing his own thing too. I often want Beardo to do the same as well simply because I know he has the art background, and playing mileage and general love of the fighting games. Hell, I've sent him links to engines on more than one occassion because I think he'd get a lot of fulfillment from it (though forget EF-12. Dead end there...trust me.)

I think its fulfilling and I generally just hope anyone who labs hard and theorycrafts eventually gets into making things based off of their dreams. Feels good to see folks doing that. I loved watching Mike Z's energy and desire pour out of him as he'd show us builds each week. I feel the same reading updates on things like Yatagarasu, and Them's Fighting Herds. Just an overall positive vibe once folks take the plunge because then its all about what they love in the genre. Sure there are problems to overcome, but you get to celebrate what you love everyday and see it grow.

In the end, having an outlet that lets you consistently enjoy what you love in the genre is amazing. I support theory fighting hard because it generates creativity and hopefully, gets future developers to start dreaming.

TLDR: Theoryfight more. Then either use that creativity in the lab or to start making your own dream games :D

from that reddit thread regarding the CPT stuff:

That reminds me of the idea I had for this year's tour: replacing one points spot with a Last Chance Qualifier. Hold it the day before Capcom Cup and make it open to anyone who has earned 1 CPT point. First place gets to go to Capcom Cup, and everybody else gets jack.
Tell me that wouldn't be hype.

that sounds like a great idea, although you could end up with this last chance person riding the momentum and sending the #1 seed to losers extra early lol

also, since some people (not here, thank god) seem to be clinging on to this notion that Nairo was actually challenged at the Japanese tournament last week, here's his results (losses in italics):

(winners round 2 video not up)

Winners Round 3: 2-0
Game 1-1 stock, 43%
Game 2-1 stock, 118%

Winners Round 4: 2-1
Game 1-1 stock, 91%
Game 2-1 stock, 55%
Game 3-2 stock, 143%

Winners Quarterfinals: 2-0
Game 1-1 stock, 35%
Game 2-1 stock, 0%

Winners Semifinals: 2-0
Game 1-1 stock, 60%
Game 2-1 stock, 108%

Winners Finals: 2-0
Game 1-1 stock, 122%
Game 2-1 stock, 0%

Grand Finals: 2-0
Game 1-1 stock, 53%
Game 2-1 stock, 74%

so close to losing, that the one guy that got a game got 2-stocked in game 3 /s

Americans in SF make excuses for themselves, Americans in Smash 4 make excuses for the Japanese

Tik-Tok

Are you telling me that you like the discovery process even if you only have very limited time with the game? There is difference between having a lot of time and tools to try out and not having those at hand.

Basically what Dahbomb said. I'd want to have the players to use their time to skip straight to testing out the theory that results from the changes, since it takes some time to build the muscle memory.
Relax. The game isn't even out yet. You'll have ten years to figure out that when you mash a DP you're gonna get hurt.

TLDR: Theoryfight more. Then either use that creativity in the lab or to start making your own dream games :D

My mom and grandma always told me I should make games, but I kept having to explain to them that I don't like creating. I just wanna play games, it's boring trying to think of something.

shaowebb

My mom and grandma always told me I should make games, but I kept having to explain to them that I don't like creating. I just wanna play games, it's boring trying to think of something.

Then use the creativity in the lab till tech catches up and makes it easier for you to jump in. Lord knows about a 3rd of what I saw in college has had new software come out to make it irrelevant at this point. Shit advanced FAST. A lot is easier now than it was back in 2012 when I first started in software training.

Then use the creativity in the lab till tech catches up and makes it easier for you to jump in. Lord knows about a 3rd of what I saw in college has had new software come out to make it irrelevant at this point. Shit advanced FAST. A lot is easier now than it was back in 2012 when I first started in software training.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

training mode is boring

Dahbomb

I would've gone into game design if I wasn't so concerned about job security.

That one story I read on Kotaku made me sad for the good part of the day.

that sounds like a great idea, although you could end up with this last chance person riding the momentum and sending the #1 seed to losers extra early lol

how would you even handle the logistics for this. even the players in the US would have to go incredibly out of their way in terms of time and money to attend this for a super low reward

Rhapsody

Banned
I would've gone into game design if I wasn't so concerned about job security.

That one story I read on Kotaku made me sad for the good part of the day.

That's probably how a lot of people feel about going into a gaming related job.

I guess on the upside, we get to enjoy games first and foremost as a hobby, instead of stress over creation and testing.

rKappa always has a good breakdown of winners and losers after major events in terms of CPT ranking.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/3mn2j4/big_winners_big_losers_in_the_cpt_this_week_and_a/

Big Winners:

Shiro - Shiro's performances as of late have been a bit disappointing. Coming into the weekend, he hadn't finished in the Top 6 of a CPT event since his 3rd-place finish at Nine States Tournament in March, and had just come off of a last-place finish in his Topanga B-League group. A European vacation did wonders for him, as he held off fellow countryman Gonzales to win Norway's Call of Ragnarok. The win puts him on the positive side of the Capcom Cup points berth cutoff, but he's only six points ahead of the man who currently holds the final spot (Humanbomb). He's not home free quite yet, but his odds of making Capcom Cup are certainly much higher than they were a few days ago.

Valmaster - Valmaster was one round away from winning EGX, but he couldn't stop Luffy from resetting the bracket and taking yet another tournament. Still, his 2nd place finish was by far his best result of the season. His struggles meant that even a victory wouldn't have brought him into qualifying position. He remains on the outside of the points berth cutoff, but at least he's given himself a chance to qualify with strong performances at Red Fight District and Milan Games Show.

Ryan Hart - After a frustrating exit at KO Fighting Game Festival, he bounced back in a big way with a 3rd place finish at EGX. Like Valmaster, it's not enough to get him into the dance just yet. But a strong performance at Red Fight District next week and/or at Milan Games Show in a few weeks could change that.

Events this week:

Red Fight District (Ranking) - Saturday & Sunday
Select notable registered players include Luffy (580), Gonzales (84), Tyrant (20), ImStillDaDaddy (16), Alfi (8), and Emersion. Registration is open through Wednesday.
This is the final European Ranking event of the season. All that remains after RFD on European soil will be the Milan Games Week Premier event and the no-points Dreamhack Winter. Tyrant and ImStillDaDaddy will be among the Europeans trying to claim valuable points, but they'll have deal with Gonzales, who's skipping the final CPT Asia qualifier to play in Amsterdam. They'll also have to deal with Luffy, and no European player has finished better than Luffy at a European CPT event since the season-opening Cannes Winter Clash.
Ze Fighting Championship (Ranking/CPT Asia Qualifier)
The winner of this tournament joins the following players in CPT Asia Finals:
Infiltration (1076/Qualified for Capcom Cup)
Xian (668/Qualified for Capcom Cup)
Bonchan (380)
Nemo (288)
Xiao Hai (280)
Misse (140)
MOV (64)
Winner of the Last Chance Qualifier held the day before CPT Asia Finals
The final CPT Asia qualifier is also Asia's final Ranking event. This is the last chance to earn points in Asia for those who aren't in the Ultra Hyakkishu Cup bracket, including Gackt and Sako.

just a sample since I want to give the guy some credit. He breaks down the ranking and the players status after every major events. His previous ones and the ones where he updates the status on how players face with the upcoming events are really good work.

I don't like looking at it like that. I would rather just look at the entire top 32 as opposed to counting the premier qualifiers separate from the players with just points. Just look at CPTA Finals. Only 9 players compete in that and 6 of the current 7 qualified players all have 140+ points. It's very likely that the CPTA Finals will not effect the top 32. The only one that can affect it as of now is MOV and he will have to finish higher than Misse, Xiaohai, Nemo, and Bonchan in a round robin format.

Same with Dreamhack. Suppose Daigo, Momochi, Tokido, Mago, Xian, Infiltration, Luffy, etc... all go to it. The only way the top 32 is effected by Dreamhack is if a player in the top 4 is the best placing "unofficially qualified" player and is outside the top 32 in points. So it has to be a player that isn't Luffy, Daigo, Momochi, Mago, Tokido, Xian, Infiltration, Gamerbee, Problem X, Fuudo, etc...

well this is just this week. In previous weeks/months he has updated every premier and ranking and who are most effected by results. Its a great analysis of the CPT as a whole while it progresses

No doubt he does a great job and he's consistently giving these updates. I just disagree with the way he looks at the standings, but that's not a big deal.

I don't like looking at it like that. I would rather just look at the entire top 32 as opposed to counting the premier qualifiers separate from the players with just points. Just look at CPTA Finals. Only 9 players compete in that and 6 of the current 7 qualified players all have 140+ points. It's very likely that the CPTA Finals will not effect the top 32. The only one that can affect it as of now is MOV and he will have to finish higher than Misse, Xiaohai, Nemo, and Bonchan in a round robin format.

well this is just this week. In previous weeks/months he has updated every premier and ranking and who are most effected by results. Its a great analysis of the CPT as a whole while it progresses. Great for people that miss out on events due to work/going out.

ShinMaruku

I would not call that hurting themselves when the community by using crowd data can parse through these things quickly and they save money. People spending time finding out what changed from builds can also introduce a more gradual time for the meta to shift and settle.
Ideally people would like to know what is there from the jump but they see value in making people find out stuff. Even more ideally if the community is large enough to have a varied set of gameplay styles these things would be figured out really quickly.

Zissou

I would not call that hurting themselves when the community by using crowd data can parse through these things quickly and they save money. People spending time finding out what changed from builds can also introduce a more gradual time for the meta to shift and settle.
Ideally people would like to know what is there from the jump but they see value in making people find out stuff. Even more ideally if the community is large enough to have a varied set of gameplay styles these things would be figured out really quickly.

SFV will get figured out fast- more than anything due to the likely size of its audience.

4r5

LOL, I love "XrdR" when said as one word.

Can you guys tell me who I should look up for Dizzy and Testament play from AC+?

You would probably be better off looking at pre-AC footage for Dizzy and Testament. They have not ignored AC and +R when designing Xrd, but Slayer and Jam shows they are sticking closely with Ishiwatari's original vision of the characters. Even characters with large revamps, like May and Venom, their gameplay and feel mirrors closely to their pre-AC counterparts.

Dizzy and Testament, both of them are very different in AC than they were before. Dizzy plays largely the same, but is simplified and received some very big buffs. Testament is massively changed. He used to be a trap character and he still is in AC, but you don't have to utilize that aspect of him. I doubt either character are going to return to their ham-handed AC designs.

--GGXX#r
#reload was when Dizzy was her most punishing. Testament was still rather lacking here.

SBO 2k5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-XW9vOWcfQ

GIGS tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxk2jvcyP68

--GGXX/
Slash was when GG was getting really big. The understanding of the game was much better, and this is when the players you know today started to really perfect their game and get hungry.

SBO 2k6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGH9Y2Rbr9Q

Other stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzvsG2iJoWA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO6l6J0fkLk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZFYy-c1cpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kJJ0M2QiUg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7WdREfJQfY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPYsk-pelqg

This channel also has a bunch of AC stuff, but no +R stuff. You'd probably wanna use this for more recent AC / +R vids. http://horibuna.web.fc2.com/index.html

I was watching Sako play Zato-1 against Daigo Sol yesterday and I saw him do this combo in the match:

https://youtu.be/71F8HkCzzPo

My jaw dropped, I've never seen Ogawa do something that advanced before.

That 10 year throwback combo.

Rhapsody

Banned
You would probably be better off looking at pre-AC footage for Dizzy and Testament. They have not ignored AC and +R when designing Xrd, but Slayer and Jam shows they are sticking closely with Ishiwatari's original vision of the characters. Even characters with large revamps, like May and Venom, their gameplay and feel mirrors closely to their pre-AC counterparts.

Dizzy and Testament, both of them are very different in AC than they were before. Dizzy plays largely the same, but is simplified and received some very big buffs. Testament is massively changed. He used to be a trap character and he still is in AC, but you don't have to utilize that aspect of him. I doubt either character are going to return to their ham-handed AC designs.

I really didn't play enough Dizzy back in Reload since I spent way more time on AC and +R's. Unless I read that wrong, what made Dizzy more simplified later on compared to Reload?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom