• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

that reminded me, the worst part of combo breaker was the way hose crappy gaming generating usb hubs were set up. They were pretty bad, especially since the cover one of them was broken exposing the circuit board on one of the machines.

Dlent

50/50 chance that Blazblue is a Sunday game so they can announce DLC at the end of it, like they did for Xrd last year.

There's also a smaller chance for a miracle hype set like Galileo vs Dogura, but that was a once in a lifetime kind of match.

Tripon

LOL Udon learned how to do microtransactions in real life.

DCkYMnKXsAAZC4e.jpg

https://twitter.com/focusattack/status/876258210205900806

that reminded me, the worst part of combo breaker was the way hose crappy gaming generating usb hubs were set up. They were pretty bad, especially since the cover one of them was broken exposing the circuit board on one of the machines.

lol yeah, I played on that setup in pools and to wait for them to fix it.

Numb

Namco realise that arcsys are gods at this and also hire em for Jojo
Id sacrifice the smash and anime communities for this

CO_Andy

EVO registration numbers ain't looking so hot currently. SFV down by more than 50% over last year

r/kappa said:
Someone figured out the smashgg API a couple of weeks ago and someone else made a script that uses the API to get the reg numbers for Evo.

Street Fighter V: 1955
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 1031
Super Smash Bros. Melee: 1002
BlazBlue CF: 385
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2: 632
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: 450
Injustice 2: 560
Tekken 7: 560
KOF 14: 294

Street Fighter V: 5065
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 2637
Super Smash Bros. Melee: 2350
Pokkén Tournament: 1165
Guilty Gear Xrd: 903
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: 770
Mortal Kombat X: 707
Tekken 7: 543
Killer Instinct: 540

Dahbomb

What a blow up.

SFV and Smash games got reduced by well over half all around.

MKX had more entrants than IJ2 this year despite being a new game, considerable amount in fact.

GG and Marvel lost about the same amount of entrants.

Tekken 7 held together the best, gaining 20 entrants in fact. But still both T7 and IJ2 barely squeezed past Marvel 3, the oldest non Melee game on there.

This is an article waiting to happen I feel. EVO lost like 6K entrants from last year at the minimum.

NEO0MJ

Jesus, those are some major drops.

Tekken 7 held together the best, gaining 20 entrants in fact. But still both T7 and IJ2 barely squeezed past Marvel 3, the oldest non Melee game on there.

What makes Tekken holding that number less​ impressive is that last year it was still arcade exclusive. Coming to consoles and only gaining 20 entrants isn't a good look.

EVO registration numbers ain't looking so hot currently. SFV down by more than 50% over last year

The FUCK @ those numbers. They're worth breaking the glass on the alarm.

Seems like Evo isn't going to be a Nintendo fighting game tournament after all. People who predicted that spoke too soon with those smash numbers cratering like that.

Everything is down by a big amount, and there are still a couple of weeks left for people to register. While I don't doubt that final numbers will be lower for SFV, compared to the launch year, I wouldn't be surprised if last-minute registrations account for a big chunk of the total numbers in all games.

Can any TOs comment on that?

Wow that's concerning

I'm skipping EVO this year because of work, so I am part of that drop as well, heh.

It would be weird if tekken 7 didn't outperform last year by alot.

Busaiku

Evo don't usually announce the entrants until July, so it wouldn't be the disappointing numbers that hasn't merited any announcement.

Anne

Ucchedavāda;241125333 said:
Everything is down by a big amount, and there are still a couple of weeks left for people to register. While I don't doubt that final numbers will be lower for SFV, compared to the launch year, I wouldn't be surprised if last-minute registrations account for a big chunk of the total numbers in all games.

Can any TOs comment on that?

You're going to get a pretty big chunk, but not nearly enough to cover the 4-5k entrant drop you're looking at. I'd expect some of those smaller titles to get a good bump closer to previous year numbers in the next week or so. Smash and SFV? Nah, those numbers are gonna stay fucked.

Evo is p expensive to reg for in general so I don't expect that large of a bump though. In general this year the last minute reg bumps haven't been as large as before.

What makes Tekken holding that number less​ impressive is that last year it was still arcade exclusive. Coming to consoles and only gaining 20 entrants isn't a good look.

Maintaining entrants from a prerelease game is actually not as easy as you think, especially when a lot of non-Tekken players entered last year just to get to play it. With the mass attendance drop and phasing out of some of those people, Tekken numbers are still pretty nice. I wouldn't diminish them at all based on release timing.

Evo don't usually announce the entrants until July, so it wouldn't be the disappointing numbers that hasn't merited any announcement.

Nobody cares about an announcement tbh. We're just looking at the numbers and being like all "welp" about it.

I wanna stress that I heard rumblings about expected drop off from a few diff esports types and predicted it myself. It's a bit worse than I expected personally, but eh. If somebody as dumb as me saw it coming, Evo guys prolly saw it coming too. I don't think they are gonna be /that/ put off by it yet. Shit hurts but nobody is pulling out emergency buttons or worrying hard. If that bubble bursting continues on a downtrend into next years early events (think FR) then you'll start seeing pants shitting. No reasonable person expected to maintain that level of an increase past that first Evo anyways :p

NEO0MJ

On the bright side, surely the tournament will be easier to manage now and they'll be able to stick to the schedule, right?

Anne

Also, while this train of thought is something kinda interesting, I don't expect that API pull to be entirely accurate. I expected a drop but that is still kinda absurd.

Smash in particular stands out. Again, there are reasons to expect a drop there, but that is way more substantial than the SFV stuff.

MrCarter

With SFV I was expecting the drop as it's not a "fresh" game anymore, but with Smash I'm very suprised since they had good numbers for a few years until now. You'd think T7 and Injustice would be high as well but seems like they had no impact.

You're going to get a pretty big chunk, but not nearly enough to cover the 4-5k entrant drop you're looking at. I'd expect some of those smaller titles to get a good bump closer to previous year numbers in the next week or so. Smash and SFV? Nah, those numbers are gonna stay fucked.

Evo is p expensive to reg for in general so I don't expect that large of a bump though. In general this year the last minute reg bumps haven't been as large as before.

Thank you for the insight!

That's really a shame, but hopefully it'll be a successful Evo regardless.

notworksafe

it's almost like turning your tournament in vegas into an overpriced game convention that is isolated from the strip and fun parts of vegas while also continuing to charge extra to see the finals in person might lead to a drop in registrations

Armaly

it's almost like turning your tournament in vegas into an overpriced game convention that is isolated from the strip and fun parts of vegas while also continuing to charge extra to see the finals in person might lead to a drop in registrations

Still mad at my friends for making me walk from Mandalay to Caesar's. "Oh, it's just a 10 minute walk."

.la1n

Didn't help that the line up this year is pretty awful. Can't say I feel bad for them. I'm pretty sure everyone except those involved could have predicted how vote a game was going to go.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Why focus on Street Fighter, *everything* is down except for Tekken 7, which barely got any increase despite the game being released.

Evo was miserable last year, no surprise lots of people are skipping it.

But yea, last year was the first Evo for SFV so of course it was massive.

Hyun Sai

What happened at last year Evo? I hear people saying it was awful ?

And There is a Tekken Tour the next week ? Might explain the numbers then.

What happened at last year Evo? I hear people saying it was awful ?

Long walk between hotel and venue made it a hassle to go from your room to the venue through out the day.

Super crowded, hard to watch matches or follow the tournament. Limited seating, not even much room to sit on the floor.

Most of MKX's top 32 was played on a monitor without a big screen so it was a small crowd huddled around a setup. At one point we just turned on the stream on a phone and watched.

Probably the worst EVO experience I've been to. In their defense I thought they said all the right things afterwards and I am confident this year will be better.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think that's what it is. It's not really about the games themselves but many many people were put off by how it was ran last year.

Line_HTX

It sounds like the novelty of the event and last year's experience in general are the main reasons for the decline. Wouldn't blame people for skipping when nowadays there are so many different good events that are cheaper.

Man those numbers would be incredibly depressing if they are in fact true. Forget about the smaller games. The huge declines at the top tell the whole story. We all figured SFV would suffer a huge drop, but I still thought it'd reach at least 3k. I did think the Smash's would finally have a small decline this year but still continue to hit 2k each or stay very clost to it at least.

I have no data to back this up, but wouldn't this be the first time EVO attendance has declined since the era that began with SF4 back in 2009? I just never imagined the decline would be that sharp.

jett

D-Member
What a blow up.

SFV and Smash games got reduced by well over half all around.

MKX had more entrants than IJ2 this year despite being a new game, considerable amount in fact.

GG and Marvel lost about the same amount of entrants.

This is an article waiting to happen I feel. EVO lost like 6K entrants from last year at the minimum.

SF4 resurrected the FG scene.

SFV about to bury it.

SF6 ???

BadWolf

Any chance of EVO Japan affecting numbers? It will probably be a lot easier/cheaper to attend for many international players.

MrCarter

Not sure what's up with Smash, but the overwhelming negativity surrounding SFV contributed to its decline

I doubt it. If that was the case it would be WAY down not still at the top with nearly 2000 players. As for Gamerbee, I saw this earlier and although he makes some good points, today on Dreamhack he was completely outplayed by Phenom's Necalli. He's very salty right now.

Dahbomb

Yeah I got the notion that many people were not happy with how EVO was run last year.

That and how ZTS said that there are just way more "cups" and final events for games that are not EVO (like Capcom Cup, Ultra Cup, Tekken Cup, hell even Pokken cup). EVO is not the end all be all tournament for all the games despite still being the biggest.

I do hope EVO can bounce back from this by having a killer E3 this year for the people who visited.

I doubt it. If that was the case it would be WAY down not still at the top with nearly 2000 players. As for Gamerbee, I saw this earlier and although he makes some good points, today on Dreamhack he was completely outplayed by Phenom's Necalli. He's very salty right now.

I'm sure he's salty, but I do agree with his point regardless of how much it actually has to do with SFV's decline. The way the game is designed causes so many blow ups with a number of successful reads after knocking down your opponent. And that's a fate nobody can escape or train for.

I guess Capcom thought this would make the game hype to watch. And I guess it did for a while. Myself personally I don't enjoy playing or watching matches revolve so much around this scenario. Sure SF4 had stuff like Viper vs Ibuki, but SFV kind of feels like we're watching that all the time.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I watch SFV to see certain players doing well not necessarily for the game itself. And with that I think Gief is the most entertaining character to watch.

EVO will still be entertaining to watch regardless. Lurkers always comes out and post. A U.S player has yet to win at SF in EVO so it may finally be our year. Du isn't looking too good lately and Punk seems to mess around to much, hopefully it doesn't bite him in the ass.

MrCarter

I'm sure he's salty, but I do agree with his point regardless of how much it actually has to do with SFV's decline. The way the game is designed causes so many blow ups with a number of successful reads after knocking down your opponent. And that's a fate nobody can escape or train for.

I guess Capcom thought this would make the game hype to watch. And I guess it did for a while. Myself personally I don't enjoy playing or watching matches revolve so much around this scenario. Sure SF4 had stuff like Viper vs Ibuki, but SFV kind of feels like we're watching that all the time.

If you saw his performance today at DreamHack against another Necalli player you will see it was poor - Phenom outplayed him in every way. As for the decline, I mean, at Combo Breaker 2017 the player entrants actually increased from last year with SFV so I do wonder how much it actually has to do with the game or the way the event is run. Probably a mix of both to be honest.

Tripon

If you saw his performance today at DreamHack against another Necalli player you will see it was poor - Phenom outplayed him in every way. As for the decline, I mean, at Combo Breaker 2017 the player entrants actually increased from last year with SFV so I do wonder how much it actually has to do with the game or the way the event is run. Probably a mix of both to be honest.

Phenom doesn't like the game either and thinks it's random as fuck as well.

Top Bottom