• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

In the event that you didn't get the joke, here's the list of guys in DoA5LR

Akira, Bass, Bayman, Brad Wong, Ein, Elliot, Gen Fu, Hayate, Jacky Bryant, Jan Lee, Leon, Raidou, Rig, Ryu Hayabusa and Zack.

Yea it's actually a balanced roster, iirc they were close in number until DOA5 and LR which added a lot of new ladies at once like Momiji, Rachel, Nyo, Phase 4, Alpha, Naotora (well she is a guest but she is KT owned unlike the others), Mila and those 2 garbage girls. The only new guy was Rig.

shaowebb

What if DBFZ left us behind in Early 2018?

Bwong!

It will lol :)
Both games will be strong if I'm being truthful though. No way will any marvel game, no matter how bare and thrown together they make it seem, ever not draw crowds in the FGC. Same goes for SFV. They can fuck both up forever, have the most detrimental dlc ever, lack of modes, hell throw the damned stamina bar from Jojo ASB in to unlock things (kinda did with fight bucks lol) and it wont matter. These titles draw tournament fans because its these game franchises. Plus as meh as MVCI is in a lot of areas (graphics, roster, potentially a step back in greatness compared to 3v3 assist format) it still looks crazy open ended and fun to play and watch.

MVCI will be great and so will DBFZ. I just expect that DBFZ will be a better game overall with the huge difference in how well the game is being handled compared to MVCI. I really hope it outdraws MVCI in terms of entrants at tourney though because I want to see it become a main stage staple of the FGC franchise list of draw titles.

ShinMaruku

Yea it's actually a balanced roster, iirc they were close in number until DOA5 and LR which added a lot of new ladies at once like Momiji, Rachel, Nyo, Phase 4, Alpha, Naotora (well she is a guest but she is KT owned unlike the others), Mila and those 2 garbage girls. The only new guy was Rig.

Can't expect a serious discussion about DOA here anyway. :p

Alpha has been in since DOA2. Momiji and Rachel are just NG characters that Hayashi loves so they are in here. Nyo Tengu aka Lady Kstoute is Hayashi made too.

Isn't that what MVCI did with Chun Li lol?

They just made her Ug-Li, there's a difference.

Unbenannt-2.png

Kumubou

Don't do this, it's like telling someone to play world Heroes if they like Streetfighter 2 turbo.

Sure they share a lot of mechanics, but DoA is AT BEST a poor copy of VF that sells because tits.
Dead ass, I would rather play World Heroes Perfect than play SF3/SF4/SF5.

Although DoA played like straight trash until 5 -- it's pretty clear this is the first release in the series where the development team gave half a shit about tuning the frame data and damage values so it wasn't a hot mess.

So it's a reverse Marvel Infinite thing...except with guys...
Eh, if you have a game with an even male/female roster split (like DoA or UNI), people will think it's a waifu fighter because of Reasons.

DoA really has a character named Honkers?

Dahbomb

Tekken on track to outselling SFV can only mean the fgc will enter another dark age :(
It will outsell it but with the way people were chest thumping in the NPDs you would've thought Tekken outsold SFV by a vast margin.

Like 1.66 million in 2 months isn't even ground shattering... if this was a Capcom game people would be screaming bomba at the top of their lungs.

And didn't Tekken 7 beat IJ2 in the NPD? I guess IJ2 sold way more DLC, microtransactions and deluxe pre order $200 editions if it "grossed" so high for WB.

Skilletor

That's not happening.

I know. :(

It will outsell it but with the way people were chest thumping in the NPDs you would've thought Tekken outsold SFV by a vast margin.

Like 1.66 million in 2 months isn't even ground shattering... if this was a Capcom game people would be screaming bomba at the top of their lungs.

And didn't Tekken 7 beat IJ2 in the NPD? I guess IJ2 sold way more DLC, microtransactions and deluxe pre order $200 editions if it "grossed" so high for WB.

It was IJ2's 2nd month when Tekken released IIRC.

Pompadour

Yeah, even mods were getting in on that shit. I'm happy for Tekken but I figured it would have cleared 2 million by now.

Onemic

I mean, it's really just slightly more than SF5 over a similar period of time (considering it was released on one more console).

1.4 million on PC/PS4 over 1.5 months vs 1.66 million on PC/PS4/XB over 1 month.

So its gotten to the point where people dont even need to talk about SFV for you to try and shill for SFV.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
How come no Summerjam stuff? Turnout that low that no Fridays? Everybody's favorite G isn't obviously going if he's house streaming.

ShinMaruku

All fighters under 2 million. Not good enough. I want to see all fighters with higher numbers.

Even the ones I don't like.

With this gaming cohort and the culture prevalent now, no way in hell would fighters overall see those larger numbers. Now they can still make decent money but they have to be smarter with how they make money off dlc.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The genre has already peaked. Nowadays it's all about team based multiplayer games. I don't think making them for casuals or the hardcore matters, people just aren't interested in the genre no matter. They like to watch it but playing it is a different story.

The genre has already peaked. Nowadays it's all about team based multiplayer games.

Absolutely.

Street Fighter may be floundering, but Street Fighter With Guns is continuing to be a massive success.

The question is how far to fighting game fans want to stretch the definition of the genre to include titles that can have mass appeal.

I still find it kinda funny that the only major thing really separating SFV and Overwatch (other than genre, ofc) is communication. The OW team has some of the best two-way communication in the industry, while SFV's has among the worst. Otherwise, they are both eerily similar. Colorful cast of charismatic characters (say that 5x fast), both launched barebones but have regular content updates, similar business model (gameplay is mostly free, aesthetics cost money), etc.

Dahbomb

Next big shot in the arm for FGs would be a big time PC developer like Valve, Blizzard or Riot to make a FG. Blizzard to me would make the most sense as they at least have good console background now and most recognizable IPs and characters.

Next big shot in the arm for FGs would be a big time PC developer like Valve, Blizzard or Riot to make a FG. Blizzard to me would make the most sense as they at least have good console background now and most recognizable IPs and characters.

Plus there's a Blizzard fighting game arcade machine on one of the Overwatch levels.

Top Bottom