• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Japan Cup, I'm safe to assume is in Japan? Why would that affect a tournament in Philly?
I don't know what I was really thinking when I said that. I was thinking "Oh, Daigo and Infil will probably be in Japan", without considering that we're talking more about overall numbers rather than just big names.

Japan Cup, I'm safe to assume is in Japan? Why would that affect a tournament in Philly?

Well there is also the CPT Event in Costa Rica that Flash and Kbrad are trying to snipe. If not for that then those two would have put SFV over Injustice 2.

But seriously, those look like typical Tekken and Injustice numbers. It's just that SFV numbers are pretty ass. Skipping ahead to ECT, SFV is on pace to do quite a bit better. But the numbers still aren't that good. I really do think things will improve next year but until then this trend of underwhelming # of players and viewers should continue.

Kumubou

Movement in VF is easier in both a theoretical and practical sense for a couple of reasons. VF has limits in how fast you can cancel certain movement actions, namely sidesteps (can't cancel the first 10 frames of startup) and backdashes (which have pretty severe restrictions). Backsteps in particular are very different as they are about 5,000x riskier in VF as they create CH state (and a special CH state for some moves) and have very limited cancel properties. Much more of a VF match is played at ranges 0-1 than Tekken because of this.

Sidesteps are also about 10,000x strongly defined in VF compared to Tekken -- in VF, you either can sidestep a move or you don't. The only variable there is the move's tracking property (linear, half-circular, full-circular). It's very clear as to why a move was evaded or hit. Tekken has characters with variable step/dash speeds, startup on dashes, multiple levels of tracking... there's a lot more weirdness that can happen.

Oh, so now you understand why I wanted infinite ranked in all games! :D
Well it's also mainly because of the community.

If this was SF, you'd bet your ass they'd just keep mixing things up to beat you and squeeze as many points out of you as possible.

Also can't have that if your game is gonna be E-S-P-O-R-T-S.

Id rather play Fantasy Strike or drop fighters completely than play DOA tbh.

I just treat DOA like poverty VF because I have to

RIP VF
DoA really isn't THAT bad 😳

Your loss. DOA has Brad Wong who by default makes the game awesome.

I think Brad Wong is the smoothest drunken boxer in video games, he just goes into all his stuff rather naturally. It's too bad he is vulnerable in many of them like his lay down, don't give a damn pose like Slayer in Guilty Gear. Even though other games have more depth, I feel DOA deserves credit for being the "smoothest", in that it's intuitive and natural to walk in 3 dimensions. I know many people who pick up the series at first and they can easily get around.

Dereck

There are males in DoA?
OnGTCza.png

damn my networking skills aren't that good.

i do know a VF guy in Saudi Arabia though, do you find yourself often crossing the Persian gulf? XD
Never left the country lol, and sadly I don't get good pings with people from Saudi Arabia. It's mainly Singapore, UAE, and a few other Gulf countries.

How's the lag over there, luce?

;P
Fucking horrible lol. You can definitely get a stable connection here but it's just the sad fact that people don't really play that many games around here and the few that do aren't big fighting game players. So games with legitimately good netcode are pretty much the only games I can play with other people, outside of the country and the UAE. KI is the best cause I can play people from Europe with little issues.

SFV is just a shitshow, but Tekken 7 has been a wonderful experience. The Tekken community is surprisingly large in the Middle East.

The USF4 community here in Pakistan was pretty solid, but SFV shit the bed. A lot of it is also just people growing up and leaving the country, having kids, etc, etc but I'm not gonna pretend like SFV being a bad game didn't have an effect. I can literally count on one hand the people that I can say still try to actively play SFV.

mbpm1

Never left the country lol, and sadly I don't get good pings with people from Saudi Arabia. It's mainly Singapore, UAE, and a few other Gulf countries.

Fucking horrible lol. You can definitely get a stable connection here but it's just the sad fact that people don't really play that many games around here and the few that do aren't big fighting game players. So games with legitimately good netcode are pretty much the only games I can play with other people, outside of the country and the UAE. KI is the best cause I can play people from Europe with little issues.

SFV is just a shitshow, but Tekken 7 has been a wonderful experience. The Tekken community is surprisingly large in the Middle East.

The USF4 community here in Pakistan was pretty solid, but SFV shit the bed. A lot of it is also just people growing up and leaving the country, having kids, etc, etc but I'm not gonna pretend like SFV being a bad game didn't have an effect. I can literally count on one hand the people that I can say still try to actively play SFV.
What's your agenda? Kappa

What's your agenda? Kappa
Am I a shill for SFV or not, make up your mind!
UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Saudi Arabia are all crazy about Tekken. It's the biggest fighting game in the region.
Yeah, It's been a lot of fun playing with these guys. Played a Heihachi player recently that was doing consistent perfect godfists and such incredible freaking movement. Really opened my eyes to what truly good Tekken looks like. I mean I've seen competitive play but to actually play against someone like that was an eyeopener.

Surprisingly enough, Tekken isn't that hot here. The best player that I've faced here is someone who just does gimmicks with a lot of characters and tends to fall apart when they stop working. Almost surprised that person doesn't play SF.

Thores

New Rivals of Aether Reveals

New character Ranno, the Poisonous Pacifist was announced. Also the Xbox One version of the game has a release date now: August 23rd. That's also the day that Ori and Sein become available for purchase on both versions of the game.

They had a 30 minute panel at Super Smash Con and I'm not sure what else they talked about there, but that's the big stuff. Ranno looks great. I hope we get him and the other new fighters by the end of the year.

EDIT: Just watched the whole panel. Ranno and three more original characters are planned for simultaneous release by the end of the year. A second guest character is planned for Early 2018, and they haven't finalized who that character is going to be yet. They're currently in talks with indie game studios to see which would be the best decision for their game, and are open to suggestions from fans. After that they'll be done with characters and work towards a "Definitive Edition" release of the game, with a final roster of 14 playable characters.

New Rivals of Aether Reveals

New character Ranno, the Poisonous Pacifist was announced. Also the Xbox One version of the game has a release date now: August 23rd. That's also the day that Ori and Sein become available for purchase on both versions of the game.

They had a 30 minute panel at Super Smash Con and I'm not sure what else they talked about there, but that's the big stuff. Ranno looks great. I hope we get him and the other new fighters by the end of the year.

Very nice! I'm glad to see that Rivals of Aether is continuing to expand and have new content.

MrCarter

Well there is also the CPT Event in Costa Rica that Flash and Kbrad are trying to snipe. If not for that then those two would have put SFV over Injustice 2.

But seriously, those look like typical Tekken and Injustice numbers. It's just that SFV numbers are pretty ass. Skipping ahead to ECT, SFV is on pace to do quite a bit better. But the numbers still aren't that good. I really do think things will improve next year but until then this trend of underwhelming # of players and viewers should continue.

I think there are like 3/4 CPT events this weekend so the numbers are likely to be spread out. I'm not surprised T7 and Injustice are doing good as they recently came out however next year will be a different case, especially for Injustice. Viewers I'm not really fussed about as it seems SFV is still at the top judging by the record breaking numbers at EVO.

AAK

Surprisingly enough, Tekken isn't that hot here. The best player that I've faced here is someone who just does gimmicks with a lot of characters and tends to fall apart when they stop working. Almost surprised that person doesn't play SF.

I believe there's a player from Lahore named Awais who is considered the best in Pakistan during the Tag2 era (surprise: he uses Jack). Not sure if he still plays for T7 since it has been nearly 5 years since TTT2's console release. Not sure at all about Karachi, last I heard Karachi was the KOF haven.

There's also a Pakistani player named DietyDevil. He's more of a combo maker than a competitor but his skill in execution is legendary. Some of the greatest Mishima combo discoveries are originated from him.

I believe there's a player from Lahore named Awais who is considered the best in Pakistan during the Tag2 era (surprise: he uses Jack). Not sure if he still plays for T7 since it has been nearly 5 years since TTT2's console release. Not sure at all about Karachi, last I heard Karachi was the KOF haven.

There's also a Pakistani player named DietyDevil. He's more of a combo maker than a competitor but his skill in execution is legendary. Some of the greatest Mishima combo discoveries are originated from him.
Hmm, haven't seen or heard of those two players around here. Like I said before, a lot of the "old guard" has left the country, or generally stopped playing that much.

My guess is that they probably moved somewhere else. Anyone that has any semblance of aspirations for their future does just that.

And yes, KoF is massive here in Karachi. They have monthlys, and have held tournaments that even SNK officially sponsored.

ShinMaruku

Akira isn't bad in that game, honestly.
One of the best characters in the game with a unique set up. He is all about guard breaks so if you block, he will kill you, his momentum is fucking insane.

Still not used to DoA having weight classes.
Weight classes is the best thing, it makes you have to adjust your strings and combos, you have to know what your different launcher strenths are at and when to use a wall. You don't have to do a long combo to do the same damage, you send the heavy fucker into out the wall or through the ground, it's all pretty well thought out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6adhcUNxXw

Check out this combo, I maxed out hits and damage with all wiegh classes I just adjust my launchers and it fits everybody, this is on the heaviest character in the game.

Now that Im fully into T7, Im pretty interested in VF. I only played VF5 for like 2 days and never touched the series again after. Hoping that a VF6 comes around sometime.
Shame you said never DOA when part of the vf team is on Team Ninja and it's the only 3d fighting game where you will get their style because good luck getting Sega to make another VF, they probably don't see the margin it it.

Not a fan at all of the direction Tekken has gone post-T5 but if this is what gets sales then good for them.

I'm laughing at the guy who said this game would outsell T3.

AAK

We're about to witness a timeline where the latest Mortal Kombat alone will outsell every Capcom and Namco Fighter released in the same generation combined.

Good stuff to NRS for taking it to the next level.

So it's a reverse Marvel Infinite thing...except with guys...
In the event that you didn't get the joke, here's the list of guys and girls in DoA5LR

Akira, Bass, Bayman, Brad Wong, Ein, Elliot, Gen Fu, Hayate, Jacky Bryant, Jan Lee, Leon, Raidou, Rig, Ryu Hayabusa and Zack.

Alpha-152, Ayane, Christie, Helena, Hitomi, Honkers, Kasumi, Kokoro, Leifang, Lisa/La Mariposa, Mai, Jailbait, Mila, Momoji, Naotora Li, Nyotengu, Pai Chan, Phase-4, Rachel (best girl), Sarah Bryant and Tina Armstrong.

Top Bottom