• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/17-23| It was a little beta this time.

It's a combination of factors, for me:
1) We only have 16 roster slots. Too many old faces makes the game feel rehashed. I reached max veteran rehash tolerance with Ken's reveal.
2) Not exactly a fan favorite.
3) Disconfirmed the main leak roster, which a lot of people were happy with.

I don't mind Vega as DLC or something, but to think he might have edged out someone like Urien on the launch roster is disappointing. Ken was pushing it for me - I wasn't happy to see Ken, but the fact that Ken is extremely popular eased the disappointment. I haven't found any solace post-Vega.
I'm more interested in character diversity than relatively arbitrary concerns like which game each character game from. Vega's moveset is a hell of a lot more unique compared to the rest of the current cast than even Necalli who's a brand new character.

The idea that any character is pushing out a specific character is rediculous to begin with. There could be 32 slots and Urien could still miss the cut.

Xevren

Watching that VF stream over the weekend was great! Gonna have to bust out the ol ps3 and play it some more, always did love that game.

I-hate-u

I agree with Karst. Vega and Cammy are the worst picks for the roster so far, speaking solely non-gameplay wise. Ken being the runner up.

Sagat should have easily taken Vega's spot.

I agree with Karst. Vega and Cammy are the worst picks for the roster so far, non-gameplay wise. Ken being the runner up.

Sagat should have easily taken Vega's spot.
I didn't say anything about Cammy. :p She's pretty core IMO. Though that's just my childhood. My little sister and I considered Ryu, Ken, Chun-li, and Cammy to be the "main characters" of SFII, so she'll always have a place in my head that she doesn't for others.

No reason for Sagat in this roster. Many more interesting choices than Tall Ryu.

Perro

I know nothing about Necalli but he doens't seems very interesting. It'd be cool to see Capcom try something unique with the new characters, just don't make some Fuerte/Viper shit.

I-hate-u

ridiculous*

You can have moveset and game diversity - I'd like to have both.

I'm not suggesting that Vega specifically pushed out Urien; rather, that Urien is one such character among many that could have had the spot, and it would have been preferable. If Urien is in, then you can replace him with a variety of other characters. It's not a character-specific claim, just an example of the consequence.

I didn't say anything about Cammy. :p She's pretty core IMO. Though that's just my childhood. My little sister and I considered Ryu, Ken, Chun-li, and Cammy to be the "main characters" of SFII, so she'll always have a place in my head that she doesn't for others.

No reason for Sagat in this roster. Many more interesting choices than Tall Ryu.

Cammy adds little to the story at this point. And I picked Sagat because he is to me, Ryu's main rival, and it would be nice if we see a conclusion to his story.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";175691937]Gross. I don't get it. How would losing Vega and Cammy and adding Sagat make any sense?

Do people just want characters for story or aesthetic reasons or something? Those two are among the most unique in the current cast.[/QUOTE]

My comments are strictly story wise. I can't judge the gameplay when the game's not out. From what it seems, Vega is super refreshed in this game, which is cool. Character wise, he is very lame. Always has been for me.
I like his theme though.

ShinMaruku

If Bipson is in Cammy should be in. Hell since that fool is in Juri and Chun should be in
We got 1 hopefully both
since he did 2 piece their fathers.

At least we can all agree that if anyone wants Vega out of the game they can hold that L.

Beautiful fighters make the starting roster, get bodied R Mika fans.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I need the most beautiful fighter.
latest

I think it's hard to create new Street Fighter movesets. There's only so much you can do in a 2D plane with no aerial maneuvering allowed without it becoming overpowered. What other moveset ideas are there for the team to utilize? And I don't just mean movesets that remix stuff like Necalli is. True, new ideas.

KI season 2 had characters released monthly. Each trailer for a character had a teaser at the end for the next one.
Oh damn, that's pretty good, then. Capcom will have to release characters frequently if they want to prevent everyone from grinding Fight Money for each one.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";175692099]At least we can all agree that if anyone wants Vega out of the game they can hold that L.

Beautiful fighters make the starting roster, get bodied R Mika fans.[/QUOTE]
Are you going to main him?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";175692246]The conclusion to Ryu and Sagat's story? Did you miss the scar on his chest?[/QUOTE]

Well Sagat does beat the shit out of E.Ryu after that :p

E.Ryu is actually weaker than normal Ryu

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I kind of wish Capcom would get Peter to do character overview video after each character is shown off for SFV. Trailers are cool and all but having someone like Peter demo a character for the more "hardcore" sf fan would be awesome. Of course he would be sure to remind everyone that things might change by the end of development.

NEO0MJ

Maybe, but she was supposed to be the boss of all bosses. She, Venus and their mother are the closest things to God in the SG universe. I figured they were being saved for way later.

Maybe I'm remembering wring but didn't they say the vote was the only way she and Venus were gonna be playable?

If we get neither R.Mika nor Karin, where the hell will the female reps be?

Chun, Cammy, ProbablyJuri, and Laura is 25% of a cast. Kind of weak.

Kinda standard in fighting games. Atlus recently are the only ones who have a really high female to male ratio. In fact, in Persona there are more female than male characters, though I guess that had to do more with Atlus.

I kind of wish Capcom would get Peter to do character overview video after each character is shown off for SFV. Trailers are cool and all but having someone like Peter demo a character for the more "hardcore" sf fan would be awesome. Of course he would be sure to remind everyone that things might change by the end of development.

I could see some being released around launch when it's the final build. He did some for Ultra and Darkstalkers: Resurrection.

I-hate-u

Pretty sure the conclusion will just be Ryu kicking Sagat's ass again.

What story? :p

Didn't Max do that for Umvc3 before it came out?

Mizerman

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";175692378]Vega is my favorite SF character. He is a man after my own heart.[/QUOTE]

In Vega's case, it might be a literal fashion.

Finally got to 2k player points in SFIV.

2k was my goal since 2010 lmao, I've been playing on and off since then but I hit it only now, months from SFV.

Shackzam

What the he'll would sagat's v-trigger be? I was having a conversation with a friend on a lot of veteran charge characters would be interesting in sf5 seems to be adding this freshness to them, but we could not figure out v-triggers for characters like balrog and Honda.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What the he'll would sagat's v-trigger be? I was having a conversation with a friend on a lot of veteran charge characters would be interesting in sf5 seems to be adding this freshness to them, but we could not figure out v-triggers for characters like balrog and Honda.

Tiger Knee or Angry Scar

Numb

Who will Smug play if they don't include Dudley? I only know him for Dudley so not sure if he plays others.

I-hate-u

Awakes his power of vanilla SF4.

I think that version of the game made everyone hate that character, and probably killed his popularity lol.

The Ryu/Sagat story concluded in the Alpha series. Bison brainwashed Ryu, creating Evil Ryu, and Sagat did one of those "I know you're in there" talks to get him back to normal.

Then in SF4 it was revealed that Sagat quit Shadowloo and found inner peace. It's why his character win quotes are a lot less mean than they used to be.

NEO0MJ

Balrog gets the ability...to kick. I don't know about Honda, though. Throws salt?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I'd love to see Sagat come back.

V-Skill: kickboxing clinch

V-Trigger: Allows him to fire 5-10 air tiger shots. Can be done super low to the ground by pressing up + Hp+Hk. Can setup ground tiger shot into instant air shot which he can dash behind. //Kreygasm

jLKzTE7.jpg

DA KING.

I could see some being released around launch when it's the final build. He did some for Ultra and Darkstalkers: Resurrection.

That is true. I loved those videos. Still i'd love a more in-depth video before release, but I'm guessing he is under the pump work wise.

Didn't Max do that for Umvc3 before it came out?

Hmm, I recall him doing videos for it not sure if they were official or what.

Max got paid to make a video for the MvC Origins release, not UMvC3. They were officially paid for by Capcom USA for marketing. Capcom would be wise to repeat this process for SFV if Max is interested.

I think a lot of classic characters will get an extra move through V-Trigger, like Vega did.

Balrog could get a hyper armor punch that, when fully charged, causes guard break, but can be canceled into a dash.

Honda could maybe get a mode where hands negate projectiles and headbutt has armor.

Blanka should get a mode where he is permanently surrounded by a field of electricity that hurts any that touch him, no matter the attack. All blanka balls become safe and cause a hard knockdown.
lol

Negaduck

Rog v-skills could be a side dodge like Steve in tekken.

Or a toe step that hits low. Command grab that is pretty much a low damage low stun throw that let's rog start some oki?

CPS2

Pretty sure the less I play fighting games the better I am at them, as long as I play reasonably often.

I feel like I'm better after playing an hour every two days or so than I am when I play more than an hour a day.
At one of the last SF4 tournaments I went to, when I was well and truly sick of the game and hadn't played in months, I did way better than usual and people were saying how much I'd improved lol.

Rog v-skills could be a side dodge like Steve in tekken.

Or a toe step that hits low. Command grab that is pretty much a low damage low stun throw that let's rog start some oki?
Honda should get the command grab.

I would be cool with Balrog getting Focus Attack as his V-Skill. Kind of fits his fighting style.

Just watched some Smug. Dudley really does have some beautiful animations. I would love to see him in a "street boxer" wardrobe, though. Never cared for his gentleman look. A Little Mac hoodie would be cool.

Top Bottom