• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 “Framerate mode” is a joke on PS5

poodaddy

Gold Member
You are correct, though I'm not sure it necessarily warrants a thread. The problems with the game's performance have been well documented. I actually look forward to playing it, but I'm actively waiting on the PC version, as I'm not dealing with 30 fps, and the performance mode is borked. Thank goodness I'm patient.

Kuranghi

Prediction about PC version: The overuse of alpha effects will lead to poor performance even on the best GPUs at resolutions above 1440p.

You'll probably wont get locked 60fps unless you spent more than a bag of sand on your GPU 🤖

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Prediction about PC version: The overuse of alpha effects will lead to poor performance even on the best GPUs at resolutions above 1440p.

You'll probably wont get locked 60fps unless you spent more than a bag of sand on your GPU 🤖
it's ff14 engine, so should be okish ?

Kuranghi

yes it is. play it in 30fps mode, don't fully disable motion blur.
They only added it last moment because they knew people will complain

What's Fidelity mode like on your 48" OLED at monitor seating distance without any motion blur? Difficult I'd imagine, even on my ZD9 I needed a wee bit on, max MB is insane though, feels like I'm on hallucinogens.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Made the decision to wait for PC when I heard maximillian talking about how bad the framerate was at preview events and he is the biggest FF shill. The demo also ran poorly.
Demo was not the final version.
besides - 30fps mode only drops some fps in cinematics and only few times. The game is remarkably stable and it's one of better controlling/more responsive 30fps games.
max didn't like this game because it's not a classic ff rpg.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What's Fidelity mode like on your 48" OLED at monitor seating distance without any motion blur? Difficult I'd imagine, even on my ZD9 I needed a wee bit on, max MB is insane though, feels like I'm on hallucinogens.
it's hard without any motion blur. I played with setting 5. but 3 is also ok. below that it's a bit to jittery.
it was great for me even on release without motion blur power setting

Last edited:

Nankatsu

FFXVI is a joke itself.

Fire Elmo GIF

Skifi28

I believe it sticks pretty close to 60, but only in combat by aggressively dropping resolution. In exploration it's more like 40-45. The 30 fps mode plays surprisingly decent which I didn't expect, my main issue is they don't have a 40 mode to bridge the gap.

Go_Ly_Dow

I believe it sticks pretty close to 60, but only in combat by aggressively dropping resolution. In exploration it's more like 40-45. The 30 fps mode plays surprisingly decent which I didn't expect, my main issue is they don't have a 40 mode to bridge the gap.
It seems 120hz capable TVs with HDMI 2.1 VRR etc... are only recently, like in the past 2-3 years starting to get in homes. Once these become standard in most TV sets I think more developers will make 40fps modes. But still a while to go... Right now it seems to only be in Sony 1st party game a few 3rd party, but hardly any.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I still don't understand how the combat intense scenes are a flawless 60 fps and then just walking around an empty field causes the game to chug

Go_Ly_Dow

I still don't understand how the combat intense scenes are a flawless 60 fps and then just walking around an empty field causes the game to chug
The moment you enter a battle the resolution drops, therefore the framerate can maintain 60 in battle. Once the battle is over the resolution increases and thus the framerate becomes unstable, between 45-60fps. The quality mode generally achieves a solid 30fps at 1440p which is reconstructed to 4k.

Kuranghi

30fps mode with motion blur set to 3/5 is the way to go. They should have made a 120hz 40fps mode rather than the 60.

I think outputting 120hz and then applying 1/3 rate v-sync is too much to expect from Japanese devs.

With a 120hz TV you probably have VRR and the 50-60fps averages aren't so bad. Wouldn't say no to a 40fps mode though.

Only issue is afaik PS5 has no native LFC for its VRR, it relies on devs to implement it on their side, so see my first comment.

I love Japanese devs but they do love to make bizarre tech choices. Like half-rate animation zombies in the RE2 remakes when you only see zombies at that distance a handful of times in the game, the main annoying one being the police station's "back-lit zombie banging on window outside the dark room save room" moment. That rather ruins it I think.

Kuranghi

It seems 120hz capable TVs with HDMI 2.1 VRR etc... are only recently, like in the past 2-3 years starting to get in homes. Once these become standard in most TV sets I think more developers will make 40fps modes. But still a while to go... Right now it seems to only be in Sony 1st party game a few 3rd party, but hardly any.

Hopefully, it's the only thing I miss on my 2016 Sony, I'm not fussed about current-state VRR or 120hz modes, but those 40hz modes look sweet.

The problem is that while VRR is part of the HDMI spec now regardless of bandwidth, so TVs will have VRR more commonly, ime most console players don't buy 120hz TVs. The brands that take up most of the market (ie Samsung and LG) charge £799 or more and require going to 55" unless you're okay paying £899-£1200 for a 43/50" Samsung QN90 or 42/48" LG C3.

Sony doesnt give a shit about premium LCD below 55" size. Hisense and TCL have no premium offerings in those sizes either but do have much cheaper 4K120hz + VRR sets in 55"+.

I like to think I'm doing my part by selling Hisense U7Ks and U8Ks with 99% the same gaming features as LG OLEDs (including 4K@120hz Dolby Vision gaming) but at currently £649 and £899 for a 55" :messenger_dizzy: I wish I could hook up a current gen console or PC to them and show the crazy good contrast and depth of image from some fidelity modes and motion smoothness from something competitive.

Quezacolt

Never bothered with the 60fps mode. The quality mode has one of the most fluid and responsive 30fps i've ever played. it's weird how smooth the game is at 30fps.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I agree I purchased the game was so disappointed with it stop playing till the pro comes out

Combat drops to 720p res, the fact that you didn't notice is proof that they made the right decision in doing this. When combat ends, the game runs at 1080p res when exploring the field. It is super easy to see this if you are looking for it, just ride your mount past an enemy on the field and make it aggro, you'll instantly see the image become much more coarse when the resolution switches, then after awhile the enemy disengages and you'll see the image become much sharper when combat ends.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I agree.
When I put it on 60 fps mode and stand still but just spin the camera around it's not smooth at all.... it's constantly jerking every few seconds.
After a few hours I switched to 30 fps and left it there.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

omegasc

Started with framerate but kept switching between modes. I believe I forgot it in fidelity mode from about 60% until the end. Game's graphics are crazy good + amazing cutscenes.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Hopefully, it's the only thing I miss on my 2016 Sony, I'm not fussed about current-state VRR or 120hz modes, but those 40hz modes look sweet.

The problem is that while VRR is part of the HDMI spec now regardless of bandwidth, so TVs will have VRR more commonly, ime most console players don't buy 120hz TVs. The brands that take up most of the market (ie Samsung and LG) charge £799 or more and require going to 55" unless you're okay paying £899-£1200 for a 43/50" Samsung QN90 or 42/48" LG C3.

Sony doesnt give a shit about premium LCD below 55" size. Hisense and TCL have no premium offerings in those sizes either but do have much cheaper 4K120hz + VRR sets in 55"+.

I like to think I'm doing my part by selling Hisense U7Ks and U8Ks with 99% the same gaming features as LG OLEDs (including 4K@120hz Dolby Vision gaming) but at currently £649 and £899 for a 55" :messenger_dizzy: I wish I could hook up a current gen console or PC to them and show the crazy good contrast and depth of image from some fidelity modes and motion smoothness from something competitive.

Kura, riddle me this :
I'm one of the - apparently - "weird" ones that absolutely CANNOT do 30fps on an OLED due to the judder/stutter,(LG C2 here) I've been reading on the internet that 30fps games look even more juddery when...you have VRR enabled since - apparently - there's some behind the scenes fuckery that messes with the screen fluidity (?)
Fuck if it makes sense to me but these posters (different ones in different reddit threads) have been swearing that there is indeed a difference with VRR turned off when it comes to the judder on 30fps games ... They mentioned specifically the quality mode on Demon's souls remake, RDR2 (which is 30 by default ) etc, does that make any sense ?

I know that it's an inherent flaw on OLEDs due to their instant response time but I'm just trying to somewhat remedy the 30fps stutter shit show on my C2 to no avail, I just can't for the life of me get used to it, tried using true motion but it's obviously not perfect and the input lag drives me mad, it's just that I don't get how some people say that they don't have a problem with 30fps games on their OLEDs and that "it's fine"...

TLDNR : Some people have been saying that turning VRR off from the console can actually help with the 30fps stutter

Cheers

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
I bought it on PS5 but I really don't want to play it on it. A choice out of an awful framerate or an awful resolution really isn't much of a choice. I deserve better. Same reason I'm waiting until the Super Switch drops to play TOTK.

According to DF it was built for 30fps and then somewhere late in development they tried to add 60fps. What's weird that it works great during combat, but once the fights are over, it becomes a mess.

Kind of why I stopped playing XVI. I hope they fix it!

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's great if you like image quality turning to mud when the action starts. I've been hoping they will make it better.

Top Bottom