• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions |OT2| Now on iPad, iPhone & PSPGo / Vita

~Welcome to the Second Official Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions Thread at neoGAF~

Here is a link the original |OT| for the PSP version complete with nice Kari Wahlgren and Yuri Lowenthal pictures

Now with 100% less boxart!
Fftpsp3.jpg

And with 100% more touching!
Final_Fantasy_Tactics_Lion_War_Screen01.jpg

Wait, you can touch me now?

=================================
PRICE:
iPhone - $15.99
PSN - $9.99
iPad - _______

iPhone iTunes Link
iPad iTunes Link (New Zealand)

PICTURES:

iPhone:

mzl.iscvspbn.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.jwczakab.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.xnlfrnot.320x480-75.jpg

iPad:

224723_10150240554609365_167831379364_8771707_1654536_n.jpg

INFORMATION:

Supports iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 3rd generation and later. For a more enjoyable experience, playing on iPhone 4, iPod touch 4th generation or later devices is recommended.

The iPad version is scheduled for release in Fall 2011.

Released for the Playstation as the Final Fantasy series' first tactical RPG in 1997, Final Fantasy Tactics went on to sell over 1.3 million copies. The game grew in popularity upon its re-release in 2007 as Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions for the PSP with added features such as new movies, scenarios and Jobs.

Now, in 2011 the game has finally arrived for the iPhone/iPod touch! You can enjoy the game whose story gave life to the world of Ivalice, and whose high strategy battles bring tactical games to a whole new level.

GAME FEATURES

Intuitive Touch Screen Controls
The complex tactical game can be effortlessly and intuitively controlled by simply tapping units and menus. Gone is the old method of switching fixed map views - you can now rotate, move and change the size of maps as you please by sliding and pinching.

Improved Loading Times
Loading times have been improved to get you into the action quicker than ever. What's more, you can even skip movies.

Optimized Graphics
Graphics have been adapted for optimal performance on iPhone/iPod touch screens.

Upcoming scheduled updates
- Facility to fast-forward battle scenes
- Facility to fast-forward and skip cut scenes

On the heels of its iPhone and iPod touch releases, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions comes to the iPad!

Final Fantasy Tactics was the first tactical RPG in the Final Fantasy series. Originally released on the PlayStation in 1997, the game has since gone on to sell over 1.3 million units in total. The PSP remake, "Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions" was released to critical acclaim in 2007 featuring added cutscenes, expanded storylines, and new jobs.

Now, in 2012, the battle continues on the iPad! Delve into deep strategic battle mechanics that feature tactical role-playing at its best and savor the story that put Ivalice on the map, all in their full glory on the iPad's screen.

■ Features
- Intuitive touch panel controls
Navigating the complex tactical RPG landscape is as simple as tapping units and spaces. Setting up is quick and easy as well. No longer limited to the fixed isometric camera angles of the original, players now have total freedom to rotate the camera, slide around the field, and zoom in or out!

- Reduced Wait Times
Wait times have been sped up to keep players in the action. Cutscenes can also be skipped.

- Optimized Graphics
The game has been designed to fit just right on the iPad's screen.

■ Planned Updates
Higher-res graphics for unit characters
Battle scene fast-forward feature
Event scene skip/fast-forward feature

REVIEWS:

Touch Arcade Review - "A Touchy Port"

GAFFER IMPRESSIONS AND COMMENTS:

Kagari has an interview with the game's producer

Minsc breakdowns each version

Duckroll's translation real talk

PRO TIPS FOR LIFE FINAL FANTASY TACTICS

Turn on "Touch Activated Menu Items" (lets you tap anywhere to hit okay)

Turn off "Target Colors" to reduce lag

VIDEOS:

Launch Trailer
First 15 minutes of the game

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Fixed slowdown makes me actually consider double dipping...

The slowdown wasn't fixed on the PSN version was it?

Ourobolus

Banned
$16? Jesus. I skipped the PSP version because of the slowdown, but...urgh, that seems high. I guess I could stick to my PSX/PSP version... :(

MetatronM said:
Fixed slowdown makes me actually consider double dipping...

The slowdown wasn't fixed on the PSN version was it?

leroidys said:
So I'm assuming that slowdown is fixed only on the idevice versions, right? Not the PSN?

I doubt the PSN version was fixed but I haven't played it. Nor have I ever seen someone saying ripping the UMD solved the slowdown. The problem wasn't caused by the slow loading of the UMD drive

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wonder how well it plays.

If you buy the iPhone version, will you also get the iPad version when it comes out?

Trojita said:

If you buy the iPhone version, will you also get the iPad version when it comes out?

Nope, it's not universal so you'd have to also buy the iPad version.

Trojita said:

there is a vid on youtube where you can see how it controls, and no they aren't transferable.

Magnus

shira said:
It's not up in Canada yet. Sad face
:(

Will buy with 100% confirmation of slowdown fix.

Also, if one owns an i-app, does one own it for use on all I-devices? When I get an iPad later on, will i have the license to get the iPad version if I've bought the iPhone version?

Magnus said:
:(

Will buy with 100% confirmation of slowdown fix.

Also, if one owns an i-app, does one own it for use on all I-devices? When I get an iPad later on, will i have the license to get the iPad version if I've bought the iPhone version?
You can use the iPhone version on the iPad, but since it's not a universal app, you'll have to buy the iPad version to get the one made for it.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Since I'm switching back to android and am getting a Vita ill wait on it... I wonder if they can add some of the touch screen elements to the psn version though.

Clunker

nonnocere said:
I won't buy another platform just to play this game. I swear it.
Don't have an iPhone? Blame yourself or God.

I absolutely adore the new script in War of the Lions (though, ironically, they changed the iconic line above), and will gladly be triple-dipping for this iOS version, partially because of the slowdown fixing but mostly because I just love having this at my instant beck and call. Though I hadn't realized that they finally put it on PSN (and only $10 to boot); I feel like I will be a mega-whore and buy the digital version if/when I ever pick up a Vita.

The controls ... well, I'm not 100 percent convinced on how usable the touch controls will be on an iPhone (would kind of prefer a virtual D-pad option, to be honest), but it is nice to see developers actually trying to adapt and create a new control scheme.

I don't know 100 percent, but I'm pretty sure the slowdown is not fixed in the PSN version; SE DLG (SE's digital arm) has taken great pains to talk about how the iOS version is fixing the crippling slowdown that bogged the PSP release.

carroto

TheNiX said:
You can use the iPhone version on the iPad, but since it's not a universal app, you'll have to buy the iPad version to get the one made for it.

If you have a jailbroken iPad fullforce might help, though very often it makes a mess out of the UI.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Waiting for the iPad version... And a huge sale.

I guess I'll be grabbing this sometime in 2015. I'm not yet prepared to spend more than $10 on an iOS game.

Skilletor

If slowdown is fixed on an iPad 1, buying it for the third time.

If not, I'll just replay the game on psp.

Either way, be playing one of the best games ever.

Edit: Why would people think the slowdown is fixed on the UMD dump to PSN?

Clunker

Brazil said:

I guess I'll be grabbing this sometime in 2015. I won't ever pay more than $10 for an iOS game.
FWIW, SE almost always has a pretty good sale on its existing iOS titles whenever a new one drops (I'm expecting a temporary price drop on FF3 when FFT hits), so ... maybe when Chaos Rings 2 comes out? I think that's supposed to be pretty soon.

SpecX

YES!!! Finally a reason for me to dust off my PSPGo and revive it from it's external dead battery I have yet to recharge in the last 6 months.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
HamPster PamPster said:
They say it has for the iPhone and iPad versions and videos seem to back it up.
From searching GAF the PSN version still seems to have it.

Of course the PSN release is going to have it. Re-releases on digital platforms are pretty much 1:1 straight ports of the isos of the game. :/ Who expected the slowdown to be fixed just because it's on a memorystick?

Huff

Banned
Brazil said:

I guess I'll be grabbing this sometime in 2015. I'm not yet prepared to spend more than $10 on an iOS game.

Any particular reason?

So the iPhone and iPad versions are going to have the slowdown fixed along with other improvements?
15fox3k.jpg

Fuck you, Square Enix.

JudgeN

TheSeks said:
Of course the PSN release is going to have it. Re-releases on digital platforms are pretty much 1:1 straight ports of the isos of the game. :/ Who expected the slowdown to be fixed just because it's on a memorystick?

We were praying, god the PSP version is completely killed by the slow down. Wonder what the odds of it running on the Vita at full speed?

Probably nothing because i'm assuming its a coding issue but I can hope

carroto

Argh one more hour here in germany, but I don't have time to play it... have to submit my thesis on tuesday...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
JudgeN said:
Probably nothing because i'm assuming its a coding issue but I can hope

From what people are saying, that judgement is correct. It was a built in emulation issue more so than the PSP's clockspeed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Benjamin1981 said:
LOL @ 16 bucks. Square Enix really thinks they are that special that they can even do the SE tax thing on iOS devices.
Their games still sell well so they continue to do it.
I don't blame them with this or FFIII, these are full featured games.

OldJadedGamer said:
It is expensive especially for not being universal. I may bite for the iPad.
definitely expensive but to play one of the best games of all time on a platform (ipad) where it seems like they go perfectly hand in hand is one I can't pass up.

I normally would never pay this much for a game I've already beaten so many times and own on other platforms.

Top Bottom