• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions |OT2| Now on iPad, iPhone & PSPGo / Vita

Chipping away at this bit by bit on my phone over the months. I basically get through a battle and a half or so every subway commute, but it's nice to have it wherever I go.

There's a ton of spell-effect slowdown on a 4, sadly. Like, I'm staggered and astonished at how much choppiness occurs for a fucking Cure spell. I just don't get it. Outside of those effects, the game runs perfectly smooth. I seriously don't get it. At all. How can those awful, primitive effects be so taxing on the hardware? I wish I understood the complexities of programming so I'd know if they were really lazy with this port, or if they really can't get around such annoying slowdown.

If I remember correctly, back when the PSP version game out, people were talking about how it could actually be a damage calculation issue, where for some reason the formulas for accuracy and damage are fucking up and taking way too long to decrease and messing with overall game performance. I could be wrong tho. The short answer is that they fucked up a PS1 port job to the PSP and are just jamming that build onto everything.

Is there any version of War of the Lions that doesn't have the slowdown bug? It rendered the PSP version pretty much unplayable for me.

Magnus

It's still MUCH better than on PSP since it's not lagging, just skipping frames.

Oh, yeah, totally agreed, it's better, but I definitely perceive slowdown, and not just skipped frames. In fact, I think I actually see all the frames, they just....slow down. Like, a Cure spell takes 2-3x as long as it did in the original PS1 game.

And yeah, I appreciate all the explanation replies guys. Makes sense. I just assume this shit is simpler than it is.

It's really too bad. I can't imagine how the thing will slow to a crawl if I should have the gall to train a summoner and whip Bahamut out one battle. It'll probably cost me 2% battery life on the damned phone each time.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Chipping away at this bit by bit on my phone over the months. I basically get through a battle and a half or so every subway commute, but it's nice to have it wherever I go.

There's a ton of spell-effect slowdown on a 4, sadly. Like, I'm staggered and astonished at how much choppiness occurs for a fucking Cure spell. I just don't get it. Outside of those effects, the game runs perfectly smooth. I seriously don't get it. At all. How can those awful, primitive effects be so taxing on the hardware? I wish I understood the complexities of programming so I'd know if they were really lazy with this port, or if they really can't get around such annoying slowdown.

There are some graphical options (can't remember what they are right now - something about target colors I think) that you can turn off and they make the animation so much smoother.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think it's funny how quiet this thread goes after one of these games is actually released. Pages and pages of people asking if it's out yet, and then it comes out and the conversation dries up. How are you people enjoying it?

ShdwDrake

Banned
The slowdown didn't bother me at all in the psp ver tbh. I didn't even really notice till it was pointed out though but since it's turn based I didnt mind. Same thing with Blue Dragon actually.

B.K.

I just beat the PSP version for the first time. It's the first time I've beaten the game in ten years or more. I'd forgotten how much of a downer the ending was.

Magnus

I have no idea where to play this game, and am fortunate enough to have most of the options.

- On the new iPad (just tried out the iPhone version and it runs more smoothly than on my 4, but definitely looks pixelated)
- On my iPhone 4 (animation slowdown, serious battery suck)
- On my PSP Go with the new slowdown patch fix

I'm pissed that I'd have to buy the app again for the iPad instead of it being universal. But I'd do it if impressions were high here. Also, do save files sync across the phone/pad?

PFD

Any chance of updating the OP with this new info? (cross-posted from iOS thread):

This is huge guys. The high resolution update for Final Fantasy Tactics has finally arrived, AND the game is discounted at 50% off to celebrate the update.

■Save 50% off the regular price!
We're celebrating our version update with a half-off sale for the week of June 5 through June 12!

[Version 1.2.0]

■Refined Graphics
All of the game's unit graphics have been redrawn in high-resolution. Don't miss this chance to play the sharpest, most beautiful FINAL FANTASY TACTICS yet!

■Improved Draw Speeds
The graphic drawing processes have been optimized for mobile devices. Say goodbye to choppy motion and crash bugs, and play with the quickest, smoothest abilities effects and animations to date!

■iCloud Support
A save slot which allows game data to be saved to iCloud has been added. It is now possible to migrate game data across multiple devices.

Top Bottom