• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions |OT2| Now on iPad, iPhone & PSPGo / Vita

DemiMatt

Man I was just playingt he PSP version the other day, if they fix slowdown and find a way to do the multi player I might buy for PSn, if not pass. I think ive bought this game like 4 times already.

I need a new ipod touch because it can't run FFT and because of several large cracks in the screen (everything still works but it looks bad)

Buy now or wait until September?

Rumors seem to point to no new hardware (just a white version) but you never know...

Skilletor

Hilarious that people think 16 bucks is too much for one of the most fully featured games on iOS. Not to mention one of the best games in the genre, if not ever. It absolutely destroys anything comparable that is available for the platform.

Nix

Banned
I didn't really mind the slowdown in the PSP version, as I've beaten that like a crackheaded baby, but I'll still get the Ipad version (probably) when it comes out, just for good measure. After all, the graphics really grow on you over time, and seeing balthier, with his sharpshooting goodness on the Ipad (mmmmmmmmmm).

Just wish they would have added more content for the new version, but nope.

Edit: Skilletor, Tactics Ogre comes pretty fucking close man. Pretty fucking close.

HamPster PamPster said:
I need a new ipod touch because it can't run FFT and because of several large cracks in the screen (everything still works but it looks bad)

Buy now or wait until September?

Rumors seem to point to no new hardware (just a white version) but you never know...
there will likely be a new ipod touch man.

Skilletor said:
Hilarious that people think 16 bucks is too much for one of the most fully featured games on iOS. Not to mention one of the best games in the genre, if not ever. It absolutely destroys anything comparable that is available for the platform.

It is a race to the bottom for iOS game prices. Not the other way around. Regardless of the quality of the game it is a steep price for a phone game.

daffy

Banned
Clunker said:
Don't have an iPhone? Blame yourself or God.
1588_original_rPOS1.

Skilletor

Nix said:
I didn't really mind the slowdown in the PSP version, as I've beaten that like a crackheaded baby, but I'll still get the Ipad version (probably) when it comes out, just for good measure. After all, the graphics really grow on you over time, and seeing balthier, with his sharpshooting goodness on the Ipad (mmmmmmmmmm).

Just wish they would have added more content for the new version, but nope.

Edit: Skilletor, Tactics Ogre comes pretty fucking close man. Pretty fucking close.

I agree. I played and finished TO:LUCT on PSP. They're both amazing, amazing games. I'd give the nod to TO on story.

I would love TO on iOS, and I'd pay whatever they thought to charge for it.

Benjamin1981 said:
It is a race to the bottom for iOS game prices. Not the other way around. Regardless of the quality of the game it is a steep price for a phone game.

It's not a "phone" game. It's a game game. It's an amazing console-like offering also available on your phone.

Baha

Just saw the gameplay video. If the slowdown is truly absent in this version, then S-E has me by the balls and I'll pay their elaborate tax for the ipad version.

Riposte

Skilletor said:

I wouldn't put FFT near a SRPG genre top 10, but I agree that people shouldn't be so quick to pester for much lower prices. iOs gaming tends to devalue games and creators are obviously going to be bothered by that.

FutureZombie said:
If a game like Final Fantasy Tactics can be played well on a phone, there really is no need for gaming specific handhelds.

You could very well say the exact same thing for Final Fantasy 1. Isn't very true though.

Huff

Banned
Benjamin1981 said:

It's this type of thinking that could keep long quality games off of phones. Prices should be about the games and the content they have, not about what platform they are on.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FutureZombie said:
If a game like Final Fantasy Tactics can be played well on a phone, there really is no need for gaming specific handhelds.

Yes there is. BUTTONS, NON 3D GIMMICKS. NO WAGGLE.

Ulairi

Banned
FutureZombie said:

Go outside. Start walking in the direction of the nearest body of water. Keep walking.

Special J

Banned
well im kinda glad that there are flaws it keeps me from getting it.

the special attacks have the same slowdown as the psp version but they do frame skip definitively better but still ugly. also controls look like they will get annoying after awhile since you have to make your selection on the menu then press okay on the corner.

also 16 bucks is fine, apple shouldnt be the only ones to profit off the "apple tax"

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
FTH said:
He meant to say "'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you", so I understand your confusion.

I'm an Android user, but I hope this is successful at $16. We need content rich games to well well at a moderate price for the future of mobile gaming. This should be amazing on an iPad.

Takao

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
So there's no version that can be downloaded and played on a PS3 right? Don't have a PSP and my iPhone is a regular 3G : (

You can buy the original PSone Classic.

The Xtortionist said:
So there's no version that can be downloaded and played on a PS3 right? Don't have a PSP and my iPhone is a regular 3G : (

You can play the PS1 version (same price as the UMD version)

Still a great game and personally I never did mind the translation. I believe the truly bad parts where in item descriptions and such. I never had trouble following the story

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
FutureZombie said:
How does this make any sense? Tactics is a menu and interface based game, so it should translate well to iOS. Games that require twitch reflexes and precision control are another matter entirely.

The Xtortionist said:
I'm pretty sure the original, "vanilla", FFT is available to play on PS3 as a PSone Classic.

But WOTL is only for PSP/iPhone and iPad this fall.

EDIT: beaten twice over

Special J

Banned
The Xtortionist said:

PS3 can play PS1 games so you can get the disc or get the PS1 version on PSN. actually the best version since it doesnt have slowdown.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'll definitely pick this up eventually. I'll need to keep a close eye for a sale. I wish I was able to get a notification from CAG. :(

ColR100

No iPhone 3G support? ffs.

Suppose an upgrade is imminent then. The last few months have really started to make this hardware iteration redundant for new releases.

Oh, I didn't notice that there was no iPad price. Again, very disappointing that it is not a universal app. Would make the extra cost easier to swalow. I may bite though... I'm on the fence.

Skilletor

Special J said:
well im kinda glad that there are flaws it keeps me from getting it.

the special attacks have the same slowdown as the psp version but they do frame skip definitively better but still ugly. also controls look like they will get annoying after awhile since you have to make your selection on the menu then press okay on the corner.

also 16 bucks is fine, apple shouldnt be the only ones to profit off the "apple tax"

Vids I've watched have no slowdown.

FutureZombie said:

I guess if you like waiting for ports of SEs RPG catalog this could be true.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
OldJadedGamer said:
Oh, I didn't notice that there was no iPad price. Again, very disappointing that it is not a universal app. Would make the extra cost easier to swalow. I may bite though... I'm on the fence.
It'll probably be the same as FFIII, wasn't the iPad version like a dollar or two more?

Lyonaz

I'm waiting for the iPad version, this is my favourite FF game ever and have it for the PSone, PSP and both the PSN versions.

I hope Tactics Ogre: LUCT is next.

MetatronM said:
How does this make any sense? Tactics is a menu and interface based game, so it should translate well to iOS. Games that require twitch reflexes and precision control are another matter entirely.

Is that really a barrier? I find that difficult to believe. Can't the touch screen have buttons on it the same way there are buttons when you text? My main point is, people talk about phone games as if they're all simple and amateurish. This game is anything but. It really legitimizes phones as game playing devices. And if that is the case, why would you carry a second device that does the same thing?

Wallach

Skilletor said:
Vids I've watched have no slowdown.

The last one I saw from the Famitsu upload on YouTube definitely had slowdown on spell casting. I'll still probably buy it just to have FFT on my phone (mind blown) but from that video it didn't look very fixed.

Skilletor

FutureZombie said:
Is that really a barrier? I find that difficult to believe. Can't the touch screen have buttons on it the same way there are buttons when you text? My main point is, people talk about phone games as if they're all simple and amateurish. This game is anything but. It really legitimizes phones as game playing devices. And if that is the case, why would you carry a second device that does the same thing?

Ugh. Can we avoid having this debate in this thread.

Can't we just enjoy that MORE people get to experience FFT?

Wallach said:
The last one I saw from the Famitsu upload on YouTube definitely had slowdown on spell casting. I'll still probably buy it just to have FFT on my phone (mind blown) but from that video it didn't look very fixed.

I've seen two more vids that don't have that slowdown. That could have been an old build or running on old software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqeEMN0EyaY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btHkXlA8__I&feature=youtu.be

Looks silky smooth to me.

I also noticed that Agrias had a pre-spell dialogue that was removed from FFT:WotL, but it was in Japanese. Was that the case for the translation. The pre-spell quotes were in the JPN version, but removed in other translations?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
FutureZombie said:

I agree that phones have the processing power to play many awesome games

I play many games on my iPad and iPhone

having said that, virtual on-screen touch buttons are nothing compared to real physical buttons and you are fooling yourself if you find that "difficult to believe"

daffy

Banned
Clunker said:
Oh come on, I'm just having fun. This is the way!
me too!
FutureZombie said:
Oh, you just used one genre in place of an entire category of games.

Riposte

FutureZombie said:

Final Fantasy Tactics is a turned based game which could easily be played on a calculator if it could run it. It is a game the type of game could be played with a yes/no and some type of scroll or point. It is not much different from most board game ports or Final Fantasy 1. So basically there shouldn't be any revelation here. Phones could have and have been running games like FFT for a long time.

Huff

Banned
FutureZombie said:

You are never going to convince some people that ios games go beyond angry words and cut the rope. So I would give up arguing with them.

On another note, ios games that are built with touch controls rather than a virtual joystick/dpad are almost always better. So while ios games will continue to get better, some types of games will always be better on a non touch screen device, so the is a need/want for both types.

Skilletor said:
I also noticed that Agrias had a pre-spell dialogue that was removed from FFT:WotL, but it was in Japanese. Was that the case for the translation. The pre-spell quotes were in the JPN version, but removed in other translations?

Those are in but they only pop up a certain percent of the time (so you don't see it everytime you cast a spell)

Skilletor

HamPster PamPster said:
Those are in but they only pop up a certain percent of the time (so you don't see it everytime you cast a spell)

They were not in the PSP version at all. Or, at least, I never once in my two playthroughs saw one.

Top Bottom