• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions |OT2| Now on iPad, iPhone & PSPGo / Vita

Takao

Banned
FutureZombie said:
Is that really a barrier? I find that difficult to believe. Can't the touch screen have buttons on it the same way there are buttons when you text? My main point is, people talk about phone games as if they're all simple and amateurish. This game is anything but. It really legitimizes phones as game playing devices. And if that is the case, why would you carry a second device that does the same thing?

I don't see how a 4 year old port of a remake that already made its money on another platform could legitimize anything.

FutureZombie said:
Is that really a barrier? I find that difficult to believe. Can't the touch screen have buttons on it the same way there are buttons when you text? My main point is, people talk about phone games as if they're all simple and amateurish. This game is anything but. It really legitimizes phones as game playing devices. And if that is the case, why would you carry a second device that does the same thing?

Play Marathon on iPad and let us know if you still believe this statement. Touch interface is great for certain types of games, and it's unusable for other types.

FutureZombie said:
Have you tried playing any game that uses virtual sticks? Most don't work very well, and those that do are far more limited in what they can allow than even the 3DS with it's single stick and multiple buttons.

Skilletor

HamPster PamPster said:
Really? I must be thinking of something else

I didn't see one. I could be wrong. :)

I just wonder if they didn't bother translating those. I doubt they're adding anything to this release, so I'd guess they were in the JPN version and taken out of other translations.

chris-013

Skilletor said:
The pre-spell quotes were in the JPN version, but removed in other translations?

The pre-spell quotes are random.

Skilletor said:
I didn't see one. I could be wrong. :)

I just wonder if they didn't bother translating those. I doubt they're adding anything to this release, so I'd guess they were in the JPN version and taken out of other translations.

I'm doubting now... I switched a lot between the PSX and PSP version and now I'm not sure. :p

Skilletor

chris-013 said:
The pre-spell quotes are random.

I'm doubting now... I switched a lot between the PSX and PSP version and now I'm not sure. :p

I know I didn't see one because I was looking forward to seeing how they would translate them.

Wallach said:
I dunno, the first video is not really that smooth compared to the PSX version. It's not on the same level of the PSP version though, and really it's hard to complain given that it'll be on my phone.

I'll take your word for it. Haven't touched the PSX version since the WotL released. It's definitely a lot better than the PSP version, though.

Wallach

They did say though that it ran better on newer devices, so maybe the top video was made on a 3GS. The second one is really smooth looking.

I'm waiting for the iPad version but I'll totally pick that up.

I'm curious to hear how the assorted TWotL-exclusive equipment - like all of the Fellswords for the Dark Knight - will be obtained. In the PSP version, you can only get those by playing multiplayer, and that's been removed.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
BroHuffman said:
Any particular reason?
Yeah. But don't worry, I'm not one of those iOS haters.

It's just that the US iTunes Store doesn't accept credit cards that aren't registered to US addresses, so I can only add credit to my account with pre-paid cards. It's a hassle, and they're always priced with huge markups. And when I do grab one, I'd much rather buy many good $0.99 or $1.99 games than a single one.

Minsc

Gold Member
Glad to see a nice effort at reworking the UI for touch screens and not just having virtual pads... I really feel this genre could work very well with a touch interface if it is done correctly.

Wallach said:
I dunno, the first video is not really that smooth compared to the PSX version. It's not on the same level of the PSP version though, and really it's hard to complain given that it'll be on my phone.

The game is said to run better on the faster devices, so it's likely if you have a newer phone or higher generation touch device, you'll get a better framerate, unlike the PSP version where overclocking your PSP's CPU does nothing, along with dumping it to a memory stick.

The fast-forwarding feature they're adding to battles down the road will be welcome too.

Ill Saint

From my quick play, I think people hoping for no slowdown will be disappointed. It's not what I could call silky smooth on an iTouch 4 at least.

Snake

HamPster PamPster said:
224723_10150240554609365_167831379364_8771707_1654536_n.jpg

(they are updating some of the graphics)
Oh man, I hope a bunch of these updated portraits are eventually posted. I might finally take a permanent avatar.

shira

Ill Saint said:
From my quick play, I think people hoping for no slowdown will be disappointed. It's not what I could call silky smooth on an iTouch 4 at least.
I hope the ipad2 negates that. If it's in game slowdown on the software side, no sale

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any ETA on the iPad (proper) version? iPhone version is for chumps.

Grinchy

Banned
I really wish they would have fixed the framerate issues on the PSP version by now. I would have bought it for my Go if they had.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I hate how the thread is up before the game is. This game is such a tease, even the threads mock me.

nonnocere

Clunker said:
Don't have an iPhone? Blame yourself or God.

No, I have an Android based phone. Which I like a great deal. I just can't justify that kind of purchase.

EDIT: And I loved it on the PSP. Never finished it, though. Guess I can go find my PSP and paint it white or something...

I'm tempted to get this for my iPod Touch....however, I know I'm going to be purchasing a Vita in the future, so I'll just wait for the Vita and download it from the PSN store instead.

Clunker

nonnocere said:
No, I have an Android based phone. Which I like a great deal. I just can't justify that kind of purchase.

EDIT: And I loved it on the PSP. Never finished it, though. Guess I can go find my PSP and paint it white or something...
Hey, I'm of the opinion that good games should be ported to every system under the sun, so it would be rad for Android gamers to get this one day too. SE does have an entire DLG (downloadable games) segment of their PR, so you could always lobby for more support.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bboy AJ said:
Any ETA on the iPad (proper) version?
Anyone? I don't want the iPhone version because the iPhone version is for poors who can't afford an iPad. But I don't know if I can wait too long as I love this game.

Damn it, I'd buy both if I didn't have to restart my progress in the iPad version.

Tobor

Bboy AJ said:
Anyone? I don't want the iPhone version because the iPhone version is for poors who can't afford an iPad. But I don't know if I can wait too long as I love this game.

Damn it, I'd buy both if I didn't have to restart my progress in the iPad version.
It will be a month, supposedly.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's out in the UK, downloading now. It better be great, otherwise you lot will never hear the end of it. I'll be that lone voice going "it's shit!" when everyone is recommending it in months to come :p

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Technosteve said:
Ipad version where are you?

US iPhone version, where are you? I'll double dip. I don't care. I just want to play it after more than 6 months waiting for this game to come out.

Synless

soldat7 said:
For all intents and purposes, no.

A month or two out. I hope they take several months and actually fix the resolution. No excuse Square.
I thought the resolution would be fixed, isn't that why they improved the character portraits?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh man, my first 30 mins with the game is leaving a very bad impression. Second battle I get in, I die. Game over. Totally. No checkpoints, no second chances, nothing that I can see at least. Start again. Lots of unskippable text, this is very annoying. And the battles... I didn't realise there'd be this much sitting around doing nothing waiting for my turn. I don;t get to control the other characters? I feel like i could win if I could control the other party members.

I'll keep playing, but I'm feeling a little stung right now.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Jedeye Sniv said:
Oh man, my first 30 mins with the game is leaving a very bad impression. Second battle I get in, I die. Game over. Totally. No checkpoints, no second chances, nothing that I can see at least. Start again. Lots of unskippable text, this is very annoying. And the battles... I didn't realise there'd be this much sitting around doing nothing waiting for my turn. I don;t get to control the other characters? I feel like i could win if I could control the other party members.

You will be able to control the other characters once you get out of the early part of the game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Jedeye Sniv said:
It's out in the UK, downloading now. It better be great, otherwise you lot will never hear the end of it. I'll be that lone voice going "it's shit!" when everyone is recommending it in months to come :p

I don't know if a lot of people who've never played this generally play games on their iDevices muted or play them and listen to a podcast instead, but a general fyi, the music to this game is among the best of any game made. Use headphones!!! At least for a little while, it'd be a shame to miss out on it. :)

I actually don't think the game is very hard, but if you're not used to how these games work, there's probably a lot of easy mistakes you can make (never rush someone out in to a circle of enemies alone if they can't take the damage). That said, eventually you generally get to control everyone in your party, I didn't think it took more than a couple battles to get to that point. If you can go to an options screen, it'd be worth double checking there's not an option you need to switch for controlling your party members, it's been a while since I played it at it's original release.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Minsc said:
I don't know if a lot of people who've never played this generally play games on their iDevices muted or play them and listen to a podcast instead, but a general fyi, the music to this game is among the best of any game made. Use headphones!!! At least for a little while, it'd be a shame to miss out on it. :)

Agreed. It would be criminal to miss out on the music in this game. You could make an argument that it has the best soundtrack of any Final Fantasy game. It's really, really good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Minsc said:

I actually don't think the game is very hard, but if you're not used to how these games work, there's probably a lot of easy mistakes you can make (never rush someone out in to a circle of enemies alone if they can't take the damage). That said, eventually you generally get to control everyone in your party, I didn't think it took more than a couple battles to get to that point. If you can go to an options screen, it'd be worth double checking there's not an option you need to switch for controlling your party members, it's been a while since I played it at it's original release.

I think I'm getting the hang of it, I didn't realise I could add members to my party for the second battle. And I've found that I can start from the save before the fight too, that's handy. Still, the game is slow as hell to play, I can't wait for the fast forward thing they're adding later already.

Also not that impressed with the music, although I never really like JRPG music and pretty much always turn it off after an hour of so. I hate repeating battle themes so much!

Giving it more time, I need to make sure I give it a fair shake before I dismiss it but... it's not easy to like right away.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jedeye Sniv said:

Don't worry about the other characters outside of the ones you control. Let them die, basically. They (AFAIK) don't auto-game over and don't have an affect like TO on your ending/progress scores.

That said, the first two battles are harder than they should be for a tutorial. But the rubber meets the road when you reach Dorter Trade City/Mission 9: "Don't lie to me, I know what you did! ... DAMN THE HOKUTEN

There's a fast foward in the iPhone port? :x

epmode

Can't wait to play this when I finally grab an Ipad 3.
Jedeye Sniv said:
Also not that impressed with the music, although I never really like JRPG music and pretty much always turn it off after an hour of so. I hate repeating battle themes so much!
If I remember correctly, this is one of the few games that has a bunch of different battle themes, not just 2 (regular fight + boss).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Jedeye Sniv said:
I think I'm getting the hang of it, I didn't realise I could add members to my party for the second battle. And I've found that I can start from the save before the fight too, that's handy. Still, the game is slow as hell to play, I can't wait for the fast forward thing they're adding later already.

Giving it more time, I need to make sure I give it a fair shake before I dismiss it but... it's not easy to like right away.
Happens to many first time players.

Top Bottom