• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

BeeDog

I've been breezing through the game for the most part, but had completely forgotten how hard the optional stuff is closer to the end with a bad Gambit/equipment setup. Fafnir and Zeromus are totally annihilating me despite me being level 83 with Vaan and around 67 with Fran and Penelo.

Aeana

DFedELgVoAAiNj_.jpg:large

We do it!

We do it!

Nobody likes a show-off

I think you can buy it from the Clan Centurio merchant once your rank is high enough. It can also be synthesized at the Bazaar, though I forgot how (should show up as the "Cursed Necklace" once you do).

EDIT: It's not for sale anymore in the Centurio shop, that was only in the original version of FFXII. In TZA, the Niho can be found in a chest in Henne Mines Phase 2 and the Pharos Subterra. Bazaar recipe is Blood-stained Necklace x3, Death's-Head x2, Leo Gem x3.

Ahh, recipes. So...err...that's a thing. Maybe I shouldnt be selling my loot anymore :(

Jolkien

Yiazmat is a big bag of HP he was surprisingly easy. The trial mode version hurts so much more thankfully he doesn't have his original 50 million HP pool.

It's still always a good feeling killing him. Took me a good 30-35 minutes and some of it was at 4x speed.

Aeana

I've always felt that the IZJS version (and by extension, this) nerfed the original intent of Yiazmat because you've got no damage limit and break skills. Trial mode was a good addition to bring challenge within the framework of the new ruleset. I haven't gone past floor 50 in the PS4 version (just wanted to get my ribbons from floor 49), but I will before I finish the game. Just got Omega left in the regular game now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I haven't tried Trial mode at all. Do you actually get stuff in the Trial that you can bring back into your regular game?

Aeana

I haven't tried Trial mode at all. Do you actually get stuff in the Trial that you can bring back into your regular game?

In this version, you can bring anything you want back from trial mode into your game just by loading your trial mode save (regular or auto) from the regular load game menu instead of the trial mode menu.

Jolkien

Got my Zodiac Spear in trial mode floor 64 iirc ? Took me about 30 mins of steal, return to main menu, reload, steal.

Pretty decent grind. And the ribbon on floor 49

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Got my Zodiac Spear in trial mode floor 64 iirc ? Took me about 30 mins of steal, return to main menu, reload, steal.

Pretty decent grind. And the ribbon on floor 49

Do you have to steal the ribbon, or?

thetrin

Yeah it's a rare steal. So you steal the mob, if you don't get it options, quite to main menu repeat.. the game makes an auto save each floor you make in trial mode.

Damn Aeana was faster :p

Ah! Gotcha. Good to know. Will have to try for that.

BeeDog

Is there any list on the stuff that can be stolen on the various Trial floors? Feels like I'm driving myself insane trying to get certain accessories in the main game.

Turin

Banned
A few days ago, I started my first playthrough since abandoning the game in 2007. It's nice to play a solid Final Fantasy again. Still might have some misgivings but I'll reserve that till after I actually finish the game. It's pretty good.

Kain

Even after completing this in vanilla PS2 and IZJS some years ago I'm having SO MUCH FUN.

I was slogging through XV and I just dropped it for this and I'm so happy I did. Fuck XV, what a boring bullshit excuse for a FF.

Just completed Raithwall and unlocked the second board. I have all my chars set but I need LP, so I'll do a couple of runs in Trial mode just to get the basic stuff on the secondary jobs. Ashe as a BM/Monk is a joy to see, when she's not blasting groups with magic she's downing fools with her fists, this two job thing is broken lol

Easiest thing to do is use the free Kagenui you get from the Barheim passage and I used that until I got the ingredients to make the Mesa.

I didn't use Daggers that much and I never used Hammers/Axes. I don't like the random damage of the Hammers/Axes and I found getting powerful Ninja Swords easier than the Daggers.
Yeah I think you can craft one of the other swords right after Raithwall as well (maybe it was the Ashura? So probably the lowest ATK one). I skipped NS1 though because I really wanted the elements of both Iga and Koga.

I hate hammers/axes in the OG but found the ultimate one kinda fun, but TBH it's mostly just because it's a Scorpion Tail... Maces weren't very good in FF Tactics either (unless you were throwing them then Slashers were awesome) but I got a soft spot for dual wielding Scorpion Tails from FFT so that came out here in my TZA build, too.

SirNinja

Ahh, recipes. So...err...that's a thing. Maybe I shouldnt be selling my loot anymore :(

Selling the loot is the "recipe". You have to sell the items listed in order for it to turn up on the bazaar. You should absolutely sell all your loot (except for things like Teleport Stones, as those actually have a use other than to be sold).

Ludens

Banned
I don't understand how trials save work.
First when I complete a set of trials, the game asks me to save, I save on a file of the normal game so I can import stuff, ok? But should I reload that same save to play trials from where I left? Because when I save again (on the normal game) on the file I saved before, the trial save disappears.

Meowster

Now that Ultima is dead.. I have finally vanquished and claimed all the Espers. She was probably the most fun one out of all of them. Chaos was kinda fun too, I suppose, but also laughably easy. Zodiark was by far the worst. Most of my hunts are done - just the special ones, the Hell Wyrm, and then Yiazmat himself (and some random trophies like cartographer and collecting every magick/tech). Ugh. I don't want it to end.

Mendrox

FF 2x and 4x really start to make this game one of my favourites. Just having the ability to blaze through parts of the game is so good. It's not like these parts are boring, but why not use it if everything can be way faster and you get to the good stuff even eariler than expected? :)

I don't understand how trials save work.
First when I complete a set of trials, the game asks me to save, I save on a file of the normal game so I can import stuff, ok? But should I reload that same save to play trials from where I left? Because when I save again (on the normal game) on the file I saved before, the trial save disappears.

You can save after every 10 floors to have a "hard" save for the next floors. If you reload this one in the main game and save again you have to start again from 0 in the trials. It also auto saves after each floor so you have another save for your most current floor. Same thing here as before with oversaving.

Lightning

Banned
Yeah I think you can craft one of the other swords right after Raithwall as well (maybe it was the Ashura? So probably the lowest ATK one). I skipped NS1 though because I really wanted the elements of both Iga and Koga.

I hate hammers/axes in the OG but found the ultimate one kinda fun, but TBH it's mostly just because it's a Scorpion Tail... Maces weren't very good in FF Tactics either (unless you were throwing them then Slashers were awesome) but I got a soft spot for dual wielding Scorpion Tails from FFT so that came out here in my TZA build, too.
Yeah. Sucks they made the ninja swords so that we had to sacrifice one. The Kagenui sword is awesome though. 81 atk and a chance to slow the enemy. I just don't feel that there are enough water and earth weak enemies to warrant sacrificing 4 weapons to get both Iga and Koga blades. Just won t get the use out of the weapons.

I haven't done anything in the trials expect grind money in the first 10 floors. I've kept no items or equipment I've gained there as I don't want to take the challenge out of my game after waiting so long for it. Ribbons aren't that needed imo, I only ever used one in the section of the Henne Mines with the Hecteyes. That was really the only part of the game where status effects are an issue.

Carbonox

Beat Yiazmat last night. He was actually super easy though it took 30 minutes from start to finish. Once you "break" him up the wazoo he is fucking harmless. I expected more. :(

Now I've got to finish the bestiary, beat the final story beat, explore every map (I think it's just the secret Archades area remaining) and beat Trial 100 to Platinum the game.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
For bestiary completion is that including the number of each monster for the second page?

jiggle

Is there any reason to waste quickening license spots to unlock the lower ninja swords?
Since we can only unlock 3 out of 8 spots on the two license board?

Maledict

Is there any reason to waste quickening license spots to unlock the lower ninja swords?
Since we can only unlock 3 out of 8 spots on the two license board?

It's 3 out of 4. The quickening spots are the same on both boards, like all licenses (so unlocking the 50 point quickening on one board also unlocks it on the other).

I think I'm going to skip the water blade actually - earth based attacks seem the rarest to find by far, so I should be able to live without the water blade.

Bluenoser

I've been breezing through the game for the most part, but had completely forgotten how hard the optional stuff is closer to the end with a bad Gambit/equipment setup. Fafnir and Zeromus are totally annihilating me despite me being level 83 with Vaan and around 67 with Fran and Penelo.

Do you have good weapons? Later in the game, bosses are quite capable of one shotting you or comboing you over and over, so you need to be able to take them down fast, or it becomes a sandbag-fest where you are just non-stop raising/reviving. Turn buff gambits off (only apply before the fight) and go to town- your characters are overleveled for these fights, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Zeromus I can't remember- was that the one where attack was locked out? I beat him first try but I don't remember what the mechanics were.

We do it!

I'm scared to fight him, so I've been holding off and hunting rare game. (up to 50/80 its such a slog)

Yeah. Sucks they made the ninja swords so that we had to sacrifice one. The Kagenui sword is awesome though. 81 atk and a chance to slow the enemy. I just don't feel that there are enough water and earth weak enemies to warrant sacrificing 4 weapons to get both Iga and Koga blades. Just won t get the use out of the weapons.

I haven't done anything in the trials expect grind money in the first 10 floors. I've kept no items or equipment I've gained there as I don't want to take the challenge out of my game after waiting so long for it. Ribbons aren't that needed imo, I only ever used one in the section of the Henne Mines with the Hecteyes. That was really the only part of the game where status effects are an issue.

Not to mention Koga and Iga have the same attack power (87). There's literally no point in getting both, so I chose Koga, and never used it because around the same time I got the mats I needed to make Mesa.

It's 3 out of 4. The quickening spots are the same on both boards, like all licenses (so unlocking the 50 point quickening on one board also unlocks it on the other).

I think I'm going to skip the water blade actually - earth based attacks seem the rarest to find by far, so I should be able to live without the water blade.
So which one should a Shikari/Foebreaker take in your opinion?

Jolkien

For bestiary completion is that including the number of each monster for the second page?

Nope just the entry. The trophy pop before the last dungeons the ennemy in fortress
Bahamut
doesn't count.
Here's what I used to complete my bestiary, I was missing two monster in total, divided by zone just like the in-game bestiary.

Aeana

I'm trying to hunt the Seer and need black orbs. Problem is enemies don't drop them. What should I do?

Every single enemy on all 3 floors should drop them... and if you don't pick them up, they eventually float away to be accumulated in a giant mass somewhere on the floor. There's one mass location per "quadrant" of each floor where they could show up. I've never had a mass fill to 99, but maybe it's the case that once that happens, enemies stop dropping them until you collect it? No idea there.

Had a really fun run yesterday:

Ozmone Plains (I think it's called) I was lvl 20 (I level up every character at the same time) and found another entrance to the Zertinan Cavern BUT this sector was hell, I barely could kill a horse (Mallicants) and the place was full of them, GLADLY! Espers really work in this version and Belias could manage to clear the first section with some effort.

The second section I fought a Tortoise that killed 4 of my characters an I ran off of Phoenix Downs. After that I had to steal in first attempt a Phoenix Down from a Mallicant, revive Penelo (who's the only one with Raise magic) and revive the rest of the team an keep Penelo alive at all cost so I set Gambits to heal Penelo whenever the enemy focused her.

I got to summon Belias again and reach the Adramelecht boss battle but it was impossible, I manage to take half of his life with Hellfire and Quickenings but I couldn't stand the undead, they kept respawning and their magic wrecked me.

I had to flee through the whole dungeon and managed to do it with just 3 characters (Penelo died again). Eventually I arrived to Jahara, recovered my team and got new equipment and licenses.

After the next story bit I'll fight my way to Adrameletch again!

Since stats cap at 99, is there any hidden bonus if I use a a magic armor to push my magic beyond that limit? Otherwise I could put any other armor on one of my mages, since the magic stat is already at 99.

Would like to know that aswell.

Demoskinos

HALP.

Either I'm bad at this gambit stuff or its to simple I can't tell which.

I want to set one of my characters to do a AoE spell in this case Dark if there are 3+ enemies on screen but only if my MP is 50% or greater so I don't have them just spamming magic and burning through all of my MP.

Is there anyway to do this?

FinalAres

I just want a remake of FFXI JUST LIKE THIS.

FFXII has incredible gameplay, but XI has the better story, and it's more typically FF as well, which would please those who couldn't get in to XII.

I really love XI as an MMO, but as a SP game it could be God tier.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Every single enemy on all 3 floors should drop them... and if you don't pick them up, they eventually float away to be accumulated in a giant mass somewhere on the floor. There's one mass location per "quadrant" of each floor where they could show up. I've never had a mass fill to 99, but maybe it's the case that once that happens, enemies stop dropping them until you collect it? No idea there.
I found and beat him. Apparently they drop inside the corner rooms in Penumbra, Umbra and Abyssal. I couldn't see the door since it was so dark. The boss was decent.

Ydelnae

FFXII has incredible gameplay, but XI has the better story, and it's more typically FF as well, which would please those who couldn't get in to XII.

S-E announced last year that FFXI is getting an Unreal Engine 4 remake for mobile platforms, but I think it will still be a MMO (F2P, I guess). Never played XI, so I don't know how the gameplay could suffer from touchscreen based controls.

HALP.

I want to set one of my characters to do a AoE spell in this case Dark if there are 3+ enemies on screen but only if my MP is 50% or greater so I don't have them just spamming magic and burning through all of my MP.

Off the top of my head there's no way to do this. Gambits would be so much better if you could have multiple conditions on each action.

Ourobolus

Banned
HALP.

Set up another gambit to do something else if the character has less than 50% MP and give it priority over the Dark one.

MilkBeard

Off the top of my head there's no way to do this. Gambits would be so much better if you could have multiple conditions on each action.

Yeah, I think having two conditions would make the system much more flexible.

There are ways to rig it though to try and mimic this effect. For example, you can use the target command that has the character attack an enemy that the player isn't targeting. So, for example, if there are two enemies, and the player kills his/her target, and then switches to the other enemy, the team member with "Dark attack" will cancel attack and switch to another command.

Of course, this won't always work, so you have to manually go and change your gambits when you want to stop burning through magic.

Set up another gambit to do something else if the character has less than 50% MP and give it priority over the Dark one.

That's not gonna work unless you only want to target yourself, which is the problem.

I had initially started to suggest something like:

Self: MP<50% -> Attack
Foe: 3+ Present -> Dark

But I'm pretty sure that would result in you attacking yourself.

There's no way to specify "DO SOMETHING TO X ENEMY" when/if "SELF IS AT Y STATE", as far as I know.

EDIT: See Aeana's post below.

FinalAres

S-E announced last year that FFXI is getting an Unreal Engine 4 remake for mobile platforms, but I think it will still be a MMO (F2P, I guess). Never played XI, so I don't know how the gameplay could suffer from touchscreen based controls.

Yeah I am looking forward to that, the problem is less that its staying MMO, or even that it could be F2P. Its that its mobile, so it'll have stamina gauges and all those things that basically stop you playing without unplanned interruptions.

Luckily the MMO is still around in its classic form, and is still great. But honestly it has so much potential for a single player game.

Aeana

That's not gonna work unless you only want to target yourself, which is the problem.

I had initially started to suggest something like:

Self: MP<50% -> Attack
Foe: 3+ Present -> Dark

But I'm pretty sure that would result in you attacking yourself.

There's no way to specify "DO SOMETHING TO X ENEMY" when/if "SELF IS AT Y STATE", as far as I know.

Foe: character MP < 50% -> Attack
Foe: 3+ present -> Dark

The downside is that you can't select which enemy to target (i.e. if you still want to only target the leader's target)

Nohar

I would love to play an offline FFXI remake, but they would need to really improve the gameplay (and FFXII's gameplay, as it is, could use improvements).

Top Bottom