• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Arment

Liking it more than I like XII so far, which I couldn't even complete because I just couldn't have fun with it.

It's a little boring in the beginning...but I enjoy the combat.

I'd say it's because of the unmet hype.

They promised a lot, people thought that it would be the greatest thing ever, and the hype was not met. You couple that with the emerging Square haters from X-2 and XI, and you have all the hate the game got. I was surprised once I saw people here hate KH2 as well, that game is amazing on so many levels, yet people hate it.

I find it sad, hopefully the fact that people like Yoshi-P and Tabata are getting more time with the fans now should put a halt on the wave of hate.

i spent like 6 straight hours playing today. still just as amazing when i played the import. but for some reason i feel like i bought the english version (ps3) and can't remember lol.

EDIT: just checked. seems i rebought the game in 2010 when it was $17 lol.

cafemomo

weeeee

CnavWnq.png

The game is bad, just accept it. :p

Corridor > Battle > CG > Repeat

I haven't beat the game yet, but so far I'd say chapters 1-6 were pretty bad, 7 was awesome, 8-9 we are back to sucking.

When I got this game for PS3, I stopped playing at chapter 4 or whatever (the one you play as Lightning and Hope, god that map is awful).

I haven't beat the game yet, but so far I'd say chapters 1-6 were pretty bad, 7 was awesome, 8-9 we are back to sucking.

When I got this game for PS3, I stopped playing at chapter 4 or whatever (the one you play as Lightning and Hope, god that map is awful).

Corridor > Battle > CG > Corridor > Awesome Battles > GRAN PULSE > EPIC EDEN > EPIC BATTLES > GRAN PULSE

Fixed that for you.

Oversimplifying the game means nothing. So many games are "Walk>Battle>Story>Repeat"

Judging the game on arguments like that is really stupid. Yes, corridors, the prettiest corridors you will see on a last-gen game, God of War wishes it had corridors this pretty. Battles made specifically to test your current skills, without ways of cheesing it out by grinding (Grinding being of course the worst thing an RPG can do). CGs that are easily the best in the world (along with Blizzard). And then repeat everything on a new equally beautiful place with new enemies and a challenge that is completely different from before.

Possibly the dumbest type of argument is oversimplification, trying to force your opinion on others as if it were true may be worse though.

Falk

that puzzling face
I was surprised once I saw people here hate KH2 as well, that game is amazing on so many levels, yet people hate it.

I can understand where that comes from though. The game became so much more serious-shit-balls and the plot for Re:CoM was comparatively difficult to follow vs the first game. KH2 continued that and essentially boosted off the deep end.

It engaged (and retained, mind you, if the fanbase is anything to go by) a slightly different target market than the original game.

I can understand where that comes from though. The game became so much more serious-shit-balls and the plot for Re:CoM was comparatively difficult to follow vs the first game. KH2 continued that and essentially boosted off the deep end.

It engaged (and retained, mind you, if the fanbase is anything to go by) a slightly different target market than the original game.

Ohh, I read Re:CoM and I was ready to discuss about the battle system in that game =P

Anyway, yes, I know what you mean, the game kinda grew up... And it went places.

But I don't know, the story only gets serious when you're not on a Disney world. A few younger people that I know that likes KH because of Disney said they like KH2 as well (specially with Pirates of the Caribbean), so I think they retained something still... Although those people also don't know anything about the story since they don't know English.

I understand that though, it gets difficult to follow, but it's not bad, it's just crazy.

HeelPower

XIII has many flaws compared to its predecessors and I can see and understand why people hate on it. But to call it the worst of the worst is nothing but hyperbolic drivel. If FFXIII is the span of satan, then I'd like to know what a game like time & eternity would be

its way better than a great majority of JRPGs.

I'll probably tear-up when I get to
Oerba
again.

Nothing left to fear, l'Cie...

yeah....dat song is wow.

I thought this game was bad the first time I played through it on PS3, but I am definitely having fun and enjoying my time with it on PC, despite the terrible port.

Battles are a joy to play.

Falk

that puzzling face
Ohh, I read Re:CoM and I was ready to discuss about the battle system in that game =P

Anyway, yes, I know what you mean, the game kinda grew up... And it went places.

But I don't know, the story only gets serious when you're not on a Disney world. A few younger people that I know that likes KH because of Disney said they like KH2 as well (specially with Pirates of the Caribbean), so I think they retained something still... Although those people also don't know anything about the story since they don't know English.

I understand that though, it gets difficult to follow, but it's not bad, it's just crazy.

I for one am heavily invested into the series (lol)

Was just playing devil's advocate and especially relating recent experiences trying to explain post-KH2 Kingdom Hearts to a few friends who played only the original.

For example:
Why is the main bad guy of KH1 suddenly your best friend, but he also has an alter-ego who is the main bad guy of KH2, but wait, that's not all, turns out he's not the actual dude with that name and the real guy with that name is also a thing.

Also explaining why there are two of the same guy (Roxas/Ventus) on the box art of 2.5. And both of them are actually Sora in different ways. And everyone is Sora.

Aguajlsdfkjaslkdjflaks

edit: guess I should spoiler all of that.

I for one am heavily invested into the series (lol)

Was just playing devil's advocate and especially relating recent experiences trying to explain post-KH2 Kingdom Hearts to a few friends who played only the original.

Yup, I'm another one invested into the series. Every time someone tells me that the story is too complicated I go "not really, it's super simple". And then I remember I have a couple hundred hours or so invested into the series, so that's why I don't have problems keeping up.

But idk, I love games that have these crazy stories. I like games like Yakuza simply because of the story (and a bit of the battle system), you never know where the game will go, and it always gets you, I love that.

Also, yeah, I wouldn't even want to try and explain if someone who doesn't follow the series saw
a picture of Vanitas without the mask.

LuuKyK

lol KH

The only Square series I couldn't get too

Only reason why I played the one on the 3DS is cause of the TWEWY characters.

I'll play III if it has

iAc8vs6JFOBQJ.gif

Lord, she looks so amazing in KH's artstyle.

This needs to happen.

Nomura pls. She must not be forgotten.

Lord, she looks so amazing in KH's artstyle.

This needs to happen.

Nomura pls. She must not be forgotten.

Riku: "Sora. The Darkness is winning. We must find the seventh and final Light."

Sora: "But where?"

Riku:"She is in the deepest part of the Darkness. But she fights it like no other. We'll find her Sora, she is the brightest of the Seven."

Sora:"Wow. Who is she?"

Riku: "She is known only as Lightning."

thematic

I thought this game was bad the first time I played through it on PS3, but I am definitely having fun and enjoying my time with it on PC, despite the terrible port.

Battles are a joy to play.

this is the exact same feeling I have right now
I hated this game before, the story, linearity, characters

but now, the story makes more sense if you already knew the ending/overall story. the story telling still not the best, but Datalog helps alot.

linearity is OK I guess
characters isn't the best but not bad if you understand what each of them going through, Japanese Voice helps too
battle is fun as always

now I must convince my friends to play this
after 5 years I bad-mouthing this game :p

TheTux

WTH ?
FF XIII has a DLC ?

i heard you can use cheat engine to play that level
XIII was supposed to have a DLC called the "Seventh Ark" but it was scrapped due to the XBox 360 port. Some content was found recently on the game files (it was actually found 1-2 years ago on the PS3 but on the PC you can actually play the intro sequence, a video has also been uploaded to YouTube yesterday).

The datalog you posted is a placeholder, however, if you look at the same datalog using another language (like for example, spanish) you don't see a placeholder and you get a text that translates to:
One of the military installations of which the legends of Gran Pulse speak. The Fifth Ark is clearly an arsenal ready to combat invaders; the Seventh, instead, has as its principal function to awaken the hidden power of the l'Cie.

Same for Nemesis:
Fal'Cie lord and master of the Seventh Ark. Its work consists of harassing the l'Cie in the middle of cruel tests and obligating them to surpass their own limits.

Apparently it trains them to fight against someone, but it is not known who.

Nemesis and its Ark already existed in the times before the construction of Cocoon.

Some guys are also finding some audio files regarding possible dummied Bodhum minigames or playable parts. Other guys are working to unlock the camera and explore more parts of the 7th Ark.

11.png

Edit: of course thanks to all those people who are working with the game files

L.O.R.D

it wasn't on xbox version ?
i remember i was in that place
and i fought a gigantic centaur thing , played the xbox 360 version
i have to activate something in that place , and when i return , i find that centaur attacking me
K64hXUZ.jpg

ConceptX

May be they've read the complaints before playing the game? That can really affects someone's view.

I played the game on release day on ps3 before reading any reviews and complaints and have enjoyed it a lot. After finishing the game and reading the complaints, I thought "sure, there are problems, but the game is great none the less".

I swear this is the reason for half the complaints about FF13 (The game itself, not the ports), it's way overblown, some complaints are merited, but much is sort of a mass train of thought developed from views of others without actually playing, or playing it already sold on others views.

Peoples opinions are influenced so easily it's kind of crazy, I try to go into any game with an open mind and form my own, it's actually quite hard to go into something without at least remnants of other thoughts and opinions, but the best way is really to play it yourself whilst putting others thoughts at the back of your mind for sure.

Yasae

Banned
Oversimplifying the game means nothing. So many games are "Walk>Battle>Story>Repeat"

Judging the game on arguments like that is really stupid. Yes, corridors, the prettiest corridors you will see on a last-gen game, God of War wishes it had corridors this pretty. Battles made specifically to test your current skills, without ways of cheesing it out by grinding (Grinding being of course the worst thing an RPG can do). CGs that are easily the best in the world (along with Blizzard). And then repeat everything on a new equally beautiful place with new enemies and a challenge that is completely different from before.

Possibly the dumbest type of argument is oversimplification, trying to force your opinion on others as if it were true may be worse though.
You didn't go into why this is a real weakness, though. The game lasts (at least) 30 hours or so and its pace never changes. That's certifiably bad storytelling technique which other games either don't use or use for shorter durations. It's fatiguing over such a long game.

The gameplay variety is also slim to none. There's a point to minigames and dialogue trees and flashbacks and rare loot etc in other titles; these interludes bolster a game's pacing. FF XIII has flashbacks and story and character arcs (even if it's all told in a very blatant, simple-minded way) but they hardly make up a portion of the overall play time. There's a very important exploration/adventure aspect to better RPGs which this game misses and unfortunately doesn't sculpt its gameplay around in spite of these lost elements. It just does the same 30 hour main story and throws up more battles for extra stuff. (FF XII was guilty of this as well to a lesser degree).

Other games look nice, other games have area level caps. Those aren't unique elements. The fights change in strategy somewhat from one section to the next - especially with eidolons - but that's the least of what this game should be doing. The problems are where it pretends to trim all the fat and cuts straight into the bone by not:

1) Making its length shorter, or
2) Enhancing its gameplay variety

Either of those options, if implemented properly, would have gone a long way towards fixing this game, perhaps making it above average if not quite good.

TheTux

Can you post the youtube link please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjPtT6PoDBg&index=2&list=FLrHwaENRDHhp-0mn2cF5IWg

Every character says something different after the battle with Nemesis, at the moment we only know what Lightning and Snow say. Lightning says something like "We must use the power we've gained to save the world" and Snow says something like (if I remember correctly) "Let's go and save the world".

I may be mistaken though, don't really remember what Snow says. I don't know if those audio lines were recorded also in english, maybe I'll try later and let you know.

I also got a kind answer from the Square Enix Support Centre:
Thank you for contacting the Square Enix Support Centre.

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this technical difficulty with Final Fantasy XIIII.

At the moment, we believe this is the way that the game should be working, peaking at 60 frames per second during cut scenes, and 30 at other times. We are currently seeking further answers from our head office to find out whether this is permanent, or whether this is subject to change/updates.

For the time being there is nothing that we can suggest to resolve this matter, however - your feedback has been passed on to our developers for further investigation.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,
The Square Enix Support Centre team
BELIEVE

TheTux

More like non-answer.

Well they are just the customer centre, I guess they did what they could. It was the answer I expected to be honest.

Anyway it's ridiculus I just reinstalled the game, gave its process maximum priority and it doesn't use more than 12% of my GPU according to Process Explorer lol...

You didn't go into why this is a real weakness, though. The game lasts (at least) 30 hours or so and its pace never changes. That's certifiably bad storytelling technique which other games either don't use or use for shorter durations. It's fatiguing over such a long game.

Oh no, I just wanted to show that oversimplification is a bad argument, I wasn't actually trying to argue stuff like that.

[rest of the quote]

The gameplay does lack variety, but the pace is not exactly the same throughout the entire game. The first few chapters are a lot faster-paced than the middle ones. I remember having half-hour long play sessions on the first and second chapter, simply because things were moving so fast that I felt I was accomplishing much more than I actually was, so I'd stop playing after 30mins. Now I can play for a couple of hours or so before thinking it's enough.

Overall, yes, the argument that the gameplay itself is only battles (despite these battles varying out through the entire game) is valid, and that is possibly the biggest problem with the game. However, that doesn't change the fact that what is in there is really well made and polished, and saying the game does the same "Battle>Corridor>CG" is stupid at best.

I don't think cutting the story short would help, it's a story driven game with a lot of story (whether the story is good or bad is another matter entirely), and sometimes they have to dump plot on you because they have too much to tell (and yet people complain about not having enough explanations, so imagine if they cut stuff).

It was awfully nice of Squeenix to leave all of the remnants of incomplete DLC in the game for people to mess with. It's a shame they didn't go the extra step and finish them off and include them free with the PC port for extra love, but hey can't complain too much.

Talax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjPtT6PoDBg&index=2&list=FLrHwaENRDHhp-0mn2cF5IWg

Every character says something different after the battle with Nemesis, at the moment we only know what Lightning and Snow say. Lightning says something like "We must use the power we've gained to save the world" and Snow says something like (if I remember correctly) "Let's go and save the world".

I may be mistaken though, don't really remember what Snow says. I don't know if those audio lines were recorded also in english, maybe I'll try later and let you know.
That's pretty interesting. They should have gone ahead and put that in since the game was desperately in need of sidequests and minigames.

syko de4d

I am in chapter 10 and have good fun with the game. So i am very suprised after all the hate i read over the years on gaf or reddit for the game.

edit: and its just looks really good with GeDoSaTo.

CentroXer

Banned
I am in chapter 10 and have good fun with the game. So i am very suprised after all the hate i read over the years on gaf or reddit for the game.

edit: and its just looks really good with GeDoSaTo.

It's just that the FF13 sequels are so bad that the original game looks great again.

cafemomo

XIII was supposed to have a DLC called the "Seventh Ark" but it was scrapped due to the XBox 360 port.

360 has no
DLC

why though ? its actually super fun to play and mash buttons in that game.

Its one of the funnest SE series.
I tried getting into the series multiple times (original KH on the PS2, that GBA game, DDD on the 3DS, 1.5 on the PS3), but it never clicked with me.

The selfish part of me wishes
they'd stop funding these .5 remakes and use that dinero to make a new Crystal Chronicles or Tactics game

I tried getting into the series multiple times (original KH on the PS2, that GBA game, DDD on the 3DS, 1.5 on the PS3), but it never clicked with me.

they'd stop funding these .5 remakes and use that dinero to make a new Crystal Chronicles or Tactics game

Didn't 1.5 have like, a couple of dudes working on it and that's it? I'm pretty sure there's not much budget here.

aravuus

Pretty sure the amount of money that's going towards the KH HD ports isn't even a hundredth of what would be needed for a new CC or Tactics so you're just being selfish

e: and i'm slow

Top Bottom