• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Raitningz

I agree, Snow is so annoying especially at the beginning, with all that "hero" talk without doing anything right like protecting Serah or trying to free (?) Her from the crystal even if she has been *transformed* into a crystal. Plus some sister jealousy and protective instinct in the mix :p

Lightning doesn't like Snow because
he reminds her of her own father. She's got daddy issues. Though we know nothing about him except he died when she was very young.

Hahaha, I just read through that new FFX RTTP thread. This OT almost made me forget how despised this game is by some people.

Whatever. You guys are the best. FFXIII 4EVER

TheTux

My very strong suspicion is that they are running some frame pacing code that deals with fluctuations very badly (making their impact much worse rather than mitigating it).

Is there some way to force the game to use more than 30% of my GPU's power?

Do you think a "thing" like that "frame-pacing module" is too hard to patch/rewrite? I honestly can't play this game in it's current state and I'm still hoping for Square to patch.

Golnei

Hell yeah it would.

I am still salty fang never got a new outfit in LR.

I was for a while, but if Lightning and Serah's progressively worsening wardrobe is any indication, it would have been awful. I'll gladly take reused outfits over 98% of the designs in LR.

Forkball

I got to the crystal lake. This is where the real game starts right?

I still have no idea what's happening in the story. So Pulse is the area below Cocoon? And the Fal'Cie control Pulse? And the l'Cie are like soldiers for the Fal'Cie, which are given a mission (Focus), and if they don't complete it they turn into those Geth looking dudes. Also the Purge is to get the l'Cie off of Cocoon? IS ANY OF THIS CORRECT?

Also I clapped when Lightning punched Snow.

I still have no idea what's happening in the story. So Pulse is the area below Cocoon? And the Fal'Cie control Pulse? And the l'Cie are like soldiers for the Fal'Cie, which are given a mission (Focus), and if they don't complete it they turn into those Geth looking dudes. Also the Purge is to get the l'Cie off of Cocoon? IS ANY OF THIS CORRECT?

Except for the word 'the' nothing in that sentence is anywhere close to correct!
Nah you're right on all points, but god does it look just as convoluted as it actually is when you write it out like that.

Thoraxes

-Nope.

I still have no idea what's happening in the story.

So Pulse is the area below Cocoon?
- Yes.

And the Fal'Cie control Pulse?
-Essentially, fal'cie are beings with godlike powers. There are Pulse-associated fal'cie and Cocoon-associated fal'cie. You can read more in the datalog about them and the specifics.

And the l'Cie are like soldiers for the Fal'Cie, which are given a mission (Focus), and if they don't complete it they turn into those Geth looking dudes.
- Yes. The geth dudes are called Cie'th.

Also the Purge is to get the l'Cie off of Cocoon?
-Half there. The Purge is to get Pulse l'cie off of Cocoon.

IS ANY OF THIS CORRECT?
-Yup!

I got you.

Grief.exe

Take a quick poke through the datalog and you will be brought up to speed.

I have to ask, what does it unlock if I level up the roles for my characters. I'm at the point of the game where the crystarium "tree" allows me to get some characters to level 2 of their roles but what does gaining levels get me? (other than advancing the lines and getting me to the next circles and stuff).

one85x

I have to ask, what does it unlock if I level up the roles for my characters. I'm at the point of the game where the crystarium "tree" allows me to get some characters to level 2 of their roles but what does gaining levels get me? (other than advancing the lines and getting me to the next circles and stuff).
Just an overall bonus to whatever the class excels at. For example, COM is more damage and RAV is better chaining. You can see what each does at the bottom of the Abilities menu.

Just an overall bonus to whatever the class excels at. For example, COM is more damage and RAV is better chaining. You can see what each does at the bottom of the Abilities menu.

Ahh ok, thanks. I was trying to find some detail but I couldn't for whatever reason.

Boogybro

More shots from what I think is THE MOST beautiful area of the game.
Oerba
gtQgTqM.jpg

eTHaaLu.jpg

OcRDvPT.jpg

HyagT6j.jpg

Dat music.

Beautiful shot.

Say what you want about the game, but it really is beautiful. I would really like a proper screenshot thread but the demand is probably pretty low.

Port issues aside, are people here liking this game? I still do but damn is it tedious to play for longer than an hour. The structure of the game only warrants a 15 hour game at most imo.

My issue so far isn't the linearity/hallway level design, it's the pacing. I just started Chapter 5 and so far, every chapter goes on for far too long. Far too many fodder battles that you can't escape or avoid, because the game is so tightly packed that if you miss a battle you're missing valuable items and CP. Every time something happens that would typically communicate that you're nearing the end of the area, like for instance a major boss battle, or them saying "we're heading toward this new area, see you guys later *splits from party*", you expect to leave the area since it appears all new ideas, enemies, and story progression of the area have been exhausted. But no, after the major battle/cutscene you keep going and fighting the same fodder enemies for no reason at all, or they switch characters and have you do the same thing all over again, or they simply drag on the area for 20 more minutes.

Then the end of the chapter comes and it's a completely unrelated flashback cutscene or they simply leave the area with little to no fanfare. Reaching a new area rings incredibly hollow because of this.

It's weird that the beginning portion of the game is so oddly paced despite being practically on rails. You'd think that the game being that linear would allow them to pace everything perfectly, but nope. God only knows why they did things they way they did, having you wander in a dungeon for 30+ minutes long after you've beaten its main boss, etc.

Zafir

Yeah, I mean I agree the pacing is a bit blergh. By Chapter 6 you're getting a bit bored, at least I was as someone who doesn't like Vanille. Then you get to Chapter 7 and a load of stuff happens all at once. Chapter 8 is also well paced. Then afterwards you kind of go back to poor pacing again.

TheTux

Process Explorer

If you're under Win8+, it should already be included in the system's Task Manager.

Thanks. It looked familiar but I'm under Win7.

Edit: By the way it looks like someone found the unfinished DLC that was cancelled due to the XBox 360 porting (7th ark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjPtT6PoDBg

Edit 2: It also looks like someone found some beta videos and has uploaded them to Mega.

Edit 3: Nevermind that's from 2013... Sorry. Youtube Playlist for those interested anyway: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIIBimj9WGVv9rgc3YlHYCuIRc4PIo0vl

I'm actually not having problems with the pacing, I like slower pacing, that makes my play sessions long, because I don't feel like I've done enough in the game.

(I'm weird, I know)

She's wearing pants underneath the skirt.
Those are some pretty short pants >.>

Anyway, makes sense, she is a soldier after all.

Hahaha, I just read through that new FFX RTTP thread. This OT almost made me forget how despised this game is by some people.

Whatever. You guys are the best. FFXIII 4EVER

FFXIII 4EVAH.

Stopmotionkai

Neo Member
God. I dont know whats with me. I played FF 3,4 first and got to the end of both games.beat 7 any loved it but then i played 13 and 13 -2 and they are among my favorites in the franchise. I don't know why i gravitate towards the most controversial ff title.

Wilsongt

Nooo >.>

Sazh will be my SYN, I'll keep another MED around and it'll be fine... I hope

That was not even intentional.

Anyway, once I get there I'll try to see who my team will be, but I don't know, Hope has been the least helpful out of everyone.

If you want Sazh to be end game viable you will need to work on his guns. His stats and modifiers rely heavily on them.

Toth

Just saw the 7th Ark 'walkthrough' and it was pretty neat to see. I wonder if modders or aspiring programmers can make something of it?

God. I dont know whats with me. I played FF 3,4 first and got to the end of both games.beat 7 any loved it but then i played 13 and 13 -2 and they are among my favorites in the franchise. I don't know why i gravitate towards the most controversial ff title.

I feel the same about 13 tbh

I second the complains regarding the pacing. The level design is not there either and the game is badly structured. They crafted an imo incredible battle system yet totally forgot about the rest. The story is just 'okay' too which is a bit disappointing considering that it is the prime focus.

However, I am in love with the entire artstyle, music, some cutscenes, the level of polish and perfection and the battle system.

I don't really like to play it too long, but its still in my top 5. It surely is a weird game.

dawid

Ended up uninstalling because of all the framedrops(even at 30fps x_x). I got a really big urge to play the game though so, please Square, just one small framerate-fixing patch?

Lightning..... Lightning.... She.... She... She smiled...

My game is broken guys, help.

Also, I liked the scene of the worst birthday ever =P

If you want Sazh to be end game viable you will need to work on his guns. His stats and modifiers rely heavily on them.

What is the best gun then? I'll save materials until I get it and I'll level it up to maximum.

TheTux

Ended up uninstalling because of all the framedrops(even at 30fps x_x). I got a really big urge to play the game though so, please Square, just one small framerate-fixing patch?

I'm in the same boat as you. Their "debug" depot buildId hasn't changed in the past weeks so I'm starting to doubt whether they're working on an update or not.

I know that they don't necessarily need to use Steam to work on updates so the buildId thing doesn't mean much.

Lain

I stopped playing because the inconstant fps bothers me (sometimes I get some half second freezes which I have no idea why they happen) but uninstalling is something I'm not gonna do. It took me a long while to download the game on my connection, no way I'd go through it again. I wish I had the internet connection of the poster that downloaded the game in 12 minutes.

I'm in the same boat as you. Their "debug" depot buildId hasn't changed in the past weeks so I'm starting to doubt whether they're working on an update or not.

I know that they don't necessarily need to use Steam to work on updates so the buildId thing doesn't mean much.

As others have said, the only reason we probably got this was because of Dive In (which hilariously has been delayed "until further notice"... they can't get shit out the door on time). The port clearly wasn't optimized in the first place, there wasn't much thought put into any extras, etc. I would highly doubt anything is done if this was the level of effort they were willing to put in in the first place.

SirNinja

man the vile peaks are really grey and boring. didn't take a single screenshot here.
I really liked that area, actually. It's the first one that takes place at night; looking up and realizing the "stars" in the sky are actually other cities/towns/places on Cocoon was awesome.

As others have said, the only reason we probably got this was because of Dive In (which hilariously has been delayed "until further notice"... they can't get shit out the door on time).
Oh, I didn't see that. Interesting...

The overly-optimistic part of me wants to believe they're giving themselves more time so they can iron out some issues with the PC version, but...yeah, probably not.

CentroXer

Banned
As others have said, the only reason we probably got this was because of Dive In (which hilariously has been delayed "until further notice"... they can't get shit out the door on time). The port clearly wasn't optimized in the first place, there wasn't much thought put into any extras, etc. I would highly doubt anything is done if this was the level of effort they were willing to put in in the first place.

the cheap price for the PC port kinda gave it away...

TheTux

I know that and we basically knew that the game was not going to be 100% optimized for PC because of many things, for example they updated the game a lot the days before the release and they activated preload only few hours before the release.

I guess they're still working on the DiveIn version and who knows... if they make the PC version run better they would use less resources for DiveIn so maybe we could get an update. Don't know what to expect to be honest... just hoping for an update!

Fou-Lu

Seven hours in and I am loving the music, the battle system, the artstyle+graphics and I don't hate any of the characters. (Though Vanille is a little grating) Really don't see how people who like X don't like XIII, they are very similar. My roommates think I am insane as they both claim it as one of the worst games of all time.

cafemomo

Seven hours in and I am loving the music, the battle system, the artstyle+graphics and I don't hate any of the characters. (Though Vanille is a little grating) Really don't see how people who like X don't like XIII, they are very similar. My roommates think I am insane as they both claim it as one of the worst games of all time.

a bad FF jrpg is still better than most of the jrpgs out there. if ffxiii is one of the worst games they have played then they probably haven't dived into any other jrpgs than FF

Both X and XIII are the same to an extent. Both have stupid stories (one involving an underwater football star who's dad happens to be a giant fish - and the other one invovles transformers, faux French terms with an annoying silver haired kid)
they are both hallway simulators, both have a deep and engaging system, and have a enjoyable battle system.

Sunleth Waterscape is too gorgeous, and I don't even like forests all that much.

The music matches it perfectly. I love everything about it.

Makes me wonder what type of places we will see in FFXV...

And indeed, a "bad" Final Fantasy is like a "bad" Dark Souls, still miles above anything else in the genre.

Fou-Lu

I am the resident JRPG player and FF fanboy in my apartment and friend group, so it seems kind of strange that my roommates have played 13 and I haven't now that I think about it. Still they've played a lot of other JRPGs so I really don't understand where they are coming from.

I am the resident JRPG player and FF fanboy in my apartment and friend group, so it seems kind of strange that my roommates have played 13 and I haven't now that I think about it. Still they've played a lot of other JRPGs so I really don't understand where they are coming from.

May be they've read the complaints before playing the game? That can really affects someone's view.

I played the game on release day on ps3 before reading any reviews and complaints and have enjoyed it a lot. After finishing the game and reading the complaints, I thought "sure, there are problems, but the game is great none the less".

cafemomo

XIII has many flaws compared to its predecessors and I can see and understand why people hate on it. But to call it the worst of the worst is nothing but hyperbolic drivel. If FFXIII is the span of satan, then I'd like to know what a game like time & eternity would be

Top Bottom