• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

MikeBison

I finally had a queue pop after 2 hours, so I guess it's just real slow. Although when I was loading into the dungeon I got hit with a 90k and I dunno if that was just bad luck or if it was because instances are messed up, so be ready for that possibility I guess.

Yeah I managed to get a couple thousand exp off of 65 just by grinding mats from nodes before finally switching. I'd probably have stuck with that if it wasn't for the fact prices for the items are all over the place right now.

Ouch, yeah, I'll leave it for the night and try tomorrow.

Are we getting DDOS'd? 30+ min potd queue x_x

It's the first weekend of the official launch. Most players are playing SB content and I am sure instance servers are struggling.

But outside of PotD, queues for DPS do suck. I hope the next expansion only adds one tank and one healer class to balance it out a little more to make these queues bearable.

aka_bueno

For all the new players that are going through the end dungeons of the ARR MSQ

owlbgra.gif

LOL. I just started this game this month and that was basically me my first time, so that is spot on.

No one told me I had to get the keycard before going up the elevator to be able to use the magitek mount thing. So I died and then missed out on most of the rest of the dungeon as I was lost and everything was cleared and the rest of my group had entered boss fights without me. Most of this dungeon was weird, seems like you can skip/ignore a ton.

Luckily I got it again in roulette last night and did it again and got to experience it proper. Def not on my favorites lists.

R0ckman

I finally had a queue pop after 2 hours, so I guess it's just real slow. Although when I was loading into the dungeon I got hit with a 90k and I dunno if that was just bad luck or if it was because instances are messed up, so be ready for that possibility I guess.

Yeah I managed to get a couple thousand exp off of 65 just by grinding mats from nodes before finally switching. I'd probably have stuck with that if it wasn't for the fact prices for the items are all over the place right now.

I can't sell much of anything seafood wise unless its tide to a new leve.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Grinding isn't very time efficient. I like collectibles because it's something I can do in between other things. For example if I'm doing hunt bills I check on collectible timers every so often, hit a few nodes, and that's a bunch of exp for minimal effort.

Ochibi

Did the final battle a few hours ago and...

Holy shit, it is epic as hell. KOTR was epic, but this is... !!! ANd it was way harder than KOTR. A true final boss, one of the most memorable in the entire series. FFXIV team nailed everything in this fight

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I started playing this around Christmas this past year. I hit a questline I found to be a particular slog
The one where the leader of the sylphs is kidnapped by the evil hooded guy.
After that I let my subscription lapse, but decided to start again now.

I'm a little over 30 and should be ready to advance my pugilist to a monk soon. My issue is that I'm still finding the main plot to be a complete slog. There was a point where I was way into it
The introduction of the scions of the seventh Dawn, and some of the stuff to follow.
However I feel like it's not going anywhere now. I just had to run around the desert talking to various people for a few hours and then go back to see Minfillia.

I'm going to keep going, but should I temper my expectations? I hear nothing but praise for the main quest of Heavensword, and now Stormblood.

It goes places, though ARR remains somewhat predictable through its conclusion. I didn't think it was all bad personally, albeit a somewhat bloated throwback to classic FF stories(crystals! Elementals! Evil Empire to stop!). I also did not gorge myself through it either in such a quick rush as I was playing off and on through the entire first year where breaks helped ease the obvious issues. (I can imagine it is a real trial pushing through so fast)

Still, its a necessity as HW and SB aren't entirely segregated continuations. There are seeds and nuggets of related info that plays into both superior campaigns you are witnessing now without realizing. Keep that in mind as the worldbuilding is presented to you and it may help the quest doldrums.

Grinding isn't very time efficient. I like collectibles because it's something I can do in between other things. For example if I'm doing hunt bills I check on collectible timers every so often, hit a few nodes, and that's a bunch of exp for minimal effort.

Me grinding out collectables rather than fitting them in between other activities is probably contributing to why I'm finding them so tedious. I'll probably switch back to just grinding the regular mats pretty soon, that at least has the benefit of requiring less attention.

Haly

Me grinding out collectables rather than fitting them in between other activities is probably contributing to why I'm finding them so tedious. I'll probably switch back to just grinding the regular mats pretty soon, that at least has the benefit of requiring less attention.

You should only hit the timed nodes if you're doing collectibles. Grinding non-timed collectibles is very annoying and not worth the time.

Apoptomon

Any high level DRGs around? I got to 68 a day or two ago, and I'm wondering where to fit Mirage Dive in. I've basically been going HT - ID - Dis - BotD - CT - 4 - Geirskogul - 5 - Jump - Thrust1 - MD - Thrust2 - Life Surge -Thrust3 - 4 - 5 so far. Does that seem okay?

Reszo

Any high level DRGs around? I got to 68 a day or two ago, and I'm wondering where to fit Mirage Dive in. I've basically been going HT - ID - Dis - BotD - CT - 4 - Geirskogul - 5 - Jump - Thrust1 - MD - Thrust2 - Life Surge -Thrust3 - 4 - 5 so far. Does that seem okay?

I just weave mirage dive inbetween GCD moves like a regular jump. I always make sure I pop true north cross class skill before using wheeling thrust -> fang and claw/fang and claw ->wheeling thrust

You should only hit the timed nodes if you're doing collectibles. Grinding non-timed collectibles is very annoying and not worth the time.

Yeah that seems like the smarter move. Fitting timed nodes inbetween regular grinding seems like a good way to preserve my sanity while also making constant progress towards my next level.

Luigi87

Finished up through 3.2 so far. Really loving the 3.X storyline of Heavensward. Also really enjoyed how the Heavensward title screen theme played at a point.

Encroaching ever closer to Stormblood.

Nice I haven't been able to progress in the story, or my jobs now for like 9 hours. I'd understand if this was launch day but it's the next weekend so that makes it sort of understandable but they should've ironed this stuff out already...

Just let me play the video game.

Nice I haven't been able to progress in the story, or my jobs now for like 9 hours. I'd understand if this was launch day but it's the next weekend so that makes it sort of understandable but they should've ironed this stuff out already...

Yeah luckily I only logged in a few hours ago but it's been down all day, and completely down too, not the "you can't do the MSQ but you can still queue dungeons" like it was the first 3days during early access.

Might look into leveling my DoL/DoH classes as a result even though I don't really care too much about them anymore.

SE's email support is so bad its legitimately pissing me off now.

I ask support why the welcome back stuff isn't registering to my account.
a few days later I get the response "make sure your mail isn't full"...
I respond that I only have a single read mail.
3 days later now I get this response "details about this campaign can be found here" with a link to the freaking post on the Lodestone where I found out about it in the first place.

Im kinda furious actually.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
SE's email support is so bad its legitimately pissing me off now.

I ask support why the welcome back stuff isn't registering to my account.
a few days later I get the response "make sure your mail isn't full"...
I respond that I only have a single read mail.
3 days later now I get this response "details about this campaign can be found here" with a link to the freaking post on the Lodestone where I found out about it in the first place.

Im kinda furious actually.
That sounds terrible. Web chat/phone support not an option for you?

Squishy3

It's probably a result of the DDOS attack that's presumably still ongoing, as the in-game message about it hasn't disappeared yet.

Etroveria

Neo Member

Don't think you should worry until lv 70 where Life of The Dragon timer comes in since the Dive doesn't mess with the timer yet. I usually pop it when I have to get away from enemy since the Dive has long range proximity lol

With a keyboard is there a hotkey just to cycle party members?
If not I will just try a macro.

Might seem like a silly question but im trying to bind stuff to the little ps4 keyboard that doesn't have the Fkeys.

iammeiam

A post about hitting 66 bard that just turns into a bunch of healing crap because healing values are getting nuts.

While testing Minne out, it became apparently you can do some really ridiculous things with buff stacking and shields.

Tested using Aspected Benefic out of stance @i310 with a 290 globe (yeah yeah I'm lazy):

WAR out of stance: 3,500 -3,600
WAR in Defiance:4200-4300
WAR in Defiance + Minne: 5,000 - 5,100

and here's where it goes crazy:

WAR + Defiance + Minne + Convalescence: 6,100-6,200. It crit for 9k.

So then I went into Noct, repeated the last test of stacking all the things, and it was hitting for 7,000-7,200 after the Noct healing boost.

Which converts to a shield of roughly around 18k, instant cast, without critting (25k total from the GCD--7k heals, 18k shield). Toss in Largesse, and it's a 20k instal-cast shield (28k for the GCD, 8k heals) that you can technically spam for the duration of the buffs. If you stack everything and then manage to crit, it's a 42k HP instant-cast GCD that you can do whatever you want on either side of. And that's with literally the entry-level level 70 astrometer. CD on Convalescence is 2 minutes, but Minne is only 45 seconds and Largesse is 90. Stack some stuff, have a WAR holmgang something, toss an ED on them at critical HP and immediately follow up with noct AB and you have basically insanity in the form of a probable full-HP restore + 20k shield. Who needs bene.

Like, it requires coordinating a bunch of buffs to hit the upper-ends of crazy, but the numbers just keep getting funnier because you can probably stack Mantra on top of it. There has to be another Noct shield nerf coming, because at least critlo required a little luck.

SCH can probably do similar wacky stuff with Adlo, critlo, and deploying, but I don't have it at 70 to mess around with.

Squishy3

If there really is a DDoS attack and they aren't just using that as an excuse for a botched launch.
Yes, clearly there is a conspiracy to cover up their botched launch by pretending there's a DDOS attack when almost every major gaming company's been dealing with DDOS attacks the past few years surrounding high traffic events such as the holidays or game releases.

The fact they fixed the solo instance problem on Sunday morning while also dealing with a what was probably at the time a suspected DDOS attack (I didn't expect it to be fixed until right before the actual release, for example) is pretty impressive. DDOS attacks can't be immediately identified especially when you're dealing with the sudden user influx of an expansion launch.

B.K.

I skipped the cutscenes after
Doma Castle
because I was going to go see Wonder Woman and was running out of time. I finally went to an inn and watched them.
Gotsetsu. :(

mstevens

I just bought the expansion (haven't played really since vanilla) and want to join the free company. Is there anyone who can give me their name in game so I can search for it?

Alric

If you have ARR and Heavenward on Steam, do you have to buy the expansion for Stormblood through steam as well or can you buy from somewhere else online and it'll still work all the same?

iammeiam

If you have ARR and Heavenward on Steam, do you have to buy the expansion for Stormblood through steam as well or can you buy from somewhere else online and it'll still work all the same?

Steam. You are locked in to Steam codes for all your FFXIV expansions for the life of your character unless/until an SE policy change which seems unlikely.

ebil

SCH can probably do similar wacky stuff with Adlo, critlo, and deploying, but I don't have it at 70 to mess around with.
Dissipation stacked with Largesse and Illumination should produce some hilarious results.

If there really is a DDoS attack and they aren't just using that as an excuse for a botched launch.
There's almost definitely something weird going on.

EU servers have been mostly smooth 15 hours after early access started and anyone playing on Chaos can attest that our servers are packed. DF being hit super hard after reset is a thing, but instances shouldn't still be broken at 3 AM when everyone has given up and logged out.

K.Sabot

Yda > Lyse

only like level 61 but I really enjoyed the quirky joke side-character becoming more serious and important as the game started hitting her close to home rather than her just turning into a completely new character that is less interesting.

Around what level does the story pick up? I downloaded the free trial due to Stormblood hype and while I'm enjoying it, I just want to set expectations accordingly when it comes to questing/story.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Around what level does the story pick up? I downloaded the free trial due to Stormblood hype and while I'm enjoying it, I just want to set expectations accordingly when it comes to questing/story.
As a brand new player? The story picks up right around the time where the game blocks you from proceeding any further because you don't own the game as a Free Trial user.

R0ckman

Yda > Lyse

only like level 61 but I really enjoyed the quirky joke side-character becoming more serious and important as the game started hitting her close to home rather than her just turning into a completely new character that is less interesting.

Now that you put it like that it makes me a bit upset. I loved Yda, and yeah they basically just reworked her into a new character.

Fancolors

btw, if I purchase the game now, will it automatically add 30 days of sub? I want to make use of the sale, but I will probably dedicate the month for my summer haul, so I would rather make use of it later.

As a brand new player? The story picks up right around the time where the game blocks you from proceeding any further because you don't own the game as a Free Trial user.

Oh God damnit. Well, I'm enjoying it so far so I'm sure SE pretty much has my money at this point.

^ There's a sale?

This isn't technically a comment on Stormblood, since I'm still making my way through the 3.x patches (just finished 3.4), but I'll be damned if this game isn't the best thing to come out of the FF brand in the last decade.

It's incredible how the MMO of all things outshines the rest of the modern series in pretty much every respect, even regarding the story.

Ashodin

I'm excited for more play this weekend with the wife. She's really gotten her talons into the game and I think she's hooked.

She was smiling and enjoying the MSQ boss fights with the sick music.

I'm excited for more play this weekend with the wife. She's really gotten her talons into the game and I think she's hooked.

She was smiling and enjoying the MSQ boss fights with the sick music.

How far is she? I started really noticing the boss music the first time I fought Titan.

Haly

50 red scrips = Token of something or other
50 tokens = Folklore book

melkier33

This isn't technically a comment on Stormblood, since I'm still making my way through the 3.x patches (just finished 3.4), but I'll be damned if this game isn't the best thing to come out of the FF brand in the last decade.

It's incredible how the MMO of all things outshines the rest of the modern series in pretty much every respect, even regarding the story.

SB is much better then HW so far, it only gets better.

Top Bottom