• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Finally beat the lv64 instance.
Zenos is great, I love him. These solo instances with just fighting Zenos are really cool. It's content like this that makes me want these instances replayable. I would love to fight Raubahn again and what not.
And Estinien is back, with his long lush hair. I presume he is here to be cool or something

Ashodin

How far is she? I started really noticing the boss music the first time I fought Titan.

Torn from the Heavens plays when you fight main story BIG ending fights (she's in Limsa Lominsa, so the one at Swiftperch), and I heard her remark during the fight "the music is really cool here."

We're both about 20, she's a little behind me, but I've been slacking off just to keep pace with her (which alt classes help beautifully for that!)

AwShucks

I'm level 66 doing 64 missions and still loving everything. I actually queued Siren Song just because I wanted to so it again. I love the boss designs in it. Also just running around getting aether currents.

I feel like DRK's SB is much better than 50-60. I just did the lv65 quest.
I'm 80% sure Myste is just you and your crystal broke and formed that little shite so you could help all the people you care about or feel bad for because of your actions.
Also Ompagne was cool, and a neat way to get the lv70 job armor in there.

So far I feel like SB has much better content in the job stories (even if it means when solo instances break I can't do them).

I've been leveling both monk at the same time as dark knight so I just did the lv65 quest.
Fun to see the pugilist guild people again, especially considering they're the only good thing about the 'monk' questline at all. Also they just dropped some revelations out of no where about Widargelt. Well I'm definitely interested to see where that job story ends up

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This LB macro 😂

PhXPjA7.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Question to people doing new ex primals - what average ilv are were you when clearing them?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
For all the new players that are going through the end dungeons of the ARR MSQ

owlbgra.gif

This was me and another tank the other day, it was that bad I ended up missing one of the boss fights.

This was me and another tank the other day, it was that bad I ended up missing one of the boss fights.

Oh I know, it was annoying when I wanted to do it the first time a few months ago. Everyone was speedrunning it, not giving a rat's ass if they were synced with new players who wanted to see cutscenes.
Or know what to do.
Or participate because they were locked out of the fights.

It was seriously infuriating and almost made me not want to play the game for a while.

Qvoth

You mean buying the Japanese version of the game and making a new Japanese account for it?
I don't see why that wouldn't be possible

Unless you mean transferring your character from the English version to Japanese, don't think that's possible

Oh I know, it was annoying when I wanted to do it the first time a few months ago. Everyone was speedrunning it, not giving a rat's ass if they were synced with new players who wanted to see cutscenes.
Or know what to do.

It was seriously infuriating and almost made me not want to play the game for a while.

Most people doing that dungeon are doing it for their roulette. Unless you actually build a party to watch cutscenes, people are just gonna run it as fast as possible. Same with Coils. It is kinda sad that the recommendation by most people is to just skip the cutscenes and watch them later.
It's very poor design and I'm really glad they never did cutscenes of that length within a dungeon people have to do with you. No one really wants to be forced to wait around. The fact that it is an 8 man dungeon doesn't really help it either, it forces you to be with more people who probably just want to beat the thing and do something else.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Or know what to do.

It nearly made me quit tanking, but I persevered in the end and stuck with my warrior.

I've just finished all the quests after realm reborn and I am about to start heavenward.

You mean buying the Japanese version of the game and making a new Japanese account for it?
I don't see why that wouldn't be possible

Unless you mean transferring your character from the English version to Japanese, don't think that's possible

I have the Japanese version on PS4 w/ a Japanese account and am playing it in English. There's a language option in the launcher.

Clunker

This isn't technically a comment on Stormblood, since I'm still making my way through the 3.x patches (just finished 3.4), but I'll be damned if this game isn't the best thing to come out of the FF brand in the last decade.

It's incredible how the MMO of all things outshines the rest of the modern series in pretty much every respect, even regarding the story.
I'm partway through the 3.0 MSQ (shortly after meeting the moogles) and I totally agree. It's a shame that the first two-thirds of Realm Reborn felt like a strange word salad; I felt like I had zero idea what was happening until the Garuda fight, but from there it picked up and it's generally been getting better and better, though everything between 2.0 and 3.0 could have been truncated to, like, 20 missions. Heavensward has been pretty fantastic, and I'm stoked that Stormblood by most accounts is even better.

AwShucks

Or know what to do.

I knew what to expect going on. So I did them twice. Once to watch cutscenes first then second to participate.

Some thoughts on the story.... I'm Level 69 now but I decided to finish the story tomorrow instead since I did all my roulettes for the day and the level 69 dungeon really sucks. Ran it 2 times already and just nope.

Anyway, Big spoilers follow for 4.0!

My god, Lyse is incredible.
Her fights with Fordola both in the control room of Abania and after in Ala Mhigo were damn fine scenes. Lyse has such a great voice actress... so strong and determined. I think she's possibly the best female SE has done in a long time and that's really saying something. The lady in red quest is amazing and I really really need that dress damn it. She's the best character in the expansion just for those scenes alone and the ability to act extremely well. Seriously, she's great. Personally, I would have smacked Fordola again in the face but I can see why Lyse wants her to confess her crimes

Fordola:
She's a fucking idiot. Why is she obeying Zenos who is practically fucking death incarnate on a throne? She's stupid as hell and her character voice is hard to take seriously because she's always angry. The part where she fired on her own people reminded me of a scene in Star Wars like she had command like fucking darth vader or something. Yes, that scene was really weird. Why does she struggle so much? She knows she's being used and yet she chose to obey Zenos to the very end.
I hate this stupid kind of character trope because it drives me really mad when the character can't see she's just got her mind fucked up and it's all this join the bad guys to free ala mhigo. WTF, Fordola.

Zenos:
So he seems to have the power beyond eikons or something?
Hmmm, I have a feeling he's got control of Shinryu or something. It would only make sense to introduce the Primal somewhere at the end. Seriously though, I'm sick of Zenos. He just kills and kills... no other motivations. He sounds like a creepy rapist and it actually freaks me out. The scene where he said he was gonna pluck Fordola's eyes out is crazy mad.. and the fact she obeys him is even worse.

Level 69 dungeon:
Castrum Abania is a mess and possibly the most boring dungeon SB has introduced. It feels like ARF but with more fancy crap. The mechanics aren't very interesting either... it's really bland and meh. They could have had Fordola as the boss there instead, imo.

Lyse and
her father Curtis. Is Lyse's mother white if Curtis is dark? I hope that's going to be explained in the future since Curtis is her father.

I was very bummed that none of the Eorzean leaders spoke a single word during the meeting. I guess they didn't want to get the VA's to do small lines so I understand.

Allisae:
Fuck you, Fordola for sidetracking Allisae! Aghhhhh so annoying

More thoughts will follow once I'm done the story tomorrow!

I'm pretty sure someone saw how smooth Warrior stance dancing was and said "fuck that shit up".

The gauge loss serves no purpose other than to fuck with you and make you feel bad for thinking to switch stances in the first place.

No fucking reason for this.

This isn't technically a comment on Stormblood, since I'm still making my way through the 3.x patches (just finished 3.4), but I'll be damned if this game isn't the best thing to come out of the FF brand in the last decade.

It's incredible how the MMO of all things outshines the rest of the modern series in pretty much every respect, even regarding the story.

I felt exactly that way during the final few story missions of even the base game.

So I actually really like the dragoon changes except for dragon sight, so far this is the only part of the actual controls that feel like I objectively can't do that well unless I had a mouse and keyboard. It's an easy fix though if they auto the closest party member and extend the line a bit, but otherwise the changes feel really good. I'm level 67, and I can kind of see where it's going from here gameplay wise from everything i've seen. Here's hoping they hear fan feedback on it, it's not the end of the world but it should be changed.

So what's the consensus for this game? Better than Heavensward?
I'm not done with it but so far I can say it's easily better then heavensward. And for the record I loved heavensward, this is just a massive improvement in every way.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So what's the consensus for this game? Better than Heavensward?

From a gameplay and new-areas perspective, SB is better. I like these new zones a lot more than the HW zones

I think I might give HW the nod for better story, but ONLY if I count 3.0-3.3. 4.0 is a much more contained and satisfying story on it's own than 3.0 was.

Top Bottom