• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I use it and steal hate anyway because I'm just that good.

Noi

But for Stormblood those are probably the Kojin and the Ananta? Those already have the "good tribes" in the story.

So did the Vanu and Vath in Heavensward, but the Beast tribe quest added a specific subgroup of said Vanu / Gnath mercenary dude to base those stories around.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Those on PS4 pro, is frame rate constant 60? Thinking of playing on PS4 instead since I play with controller anyway and my PC only gets around 40-50 fps.

Sadly no. You are lucky to even hit 60fps in 1080p mode, but most of the time its hovering around 30 but wildly variable.
Forget 4K mode entirely as it can be real rough on the fps.

That said, its still a fine experience on PS4 and there is no reason to avoid it if you would prefer to play that version.

duckroll

So did the Vanu and Vath in Heavensward, but the Beast tribe quest added a specific subgroup of said Vanu / Gnath mercenary dude to base those stories around.

That's what I'm saying. The discussion was about what they could be doing with the other Beast Tribes introduced but not expanded on in Stormblood in the 4.x patches. I was pointing out the Ananta and Kojin are locks for Beast Tribes, but the other two have community areas on the map but aren't used yet. More Primals?!

Haly

Just because they're a beast tribe doesn't mean they have to summon primals that's pretty fucking prejudiced of you and I expect better from a moderator.

Bowlie

Banned
On one hand the Qiqirn have been around for years, on the other
that Ziggurat was too ritualistic to not be something else

I'd like to know more about
wolf people
because that was not explained at all during the MSQ *cues random
wolf person
photobombing cutscenes*

wamberz1

My favorite pastime so far is helping people get through emanation normal. Just taking 10 seconds to explain when to use the button goes such a long way and everyone really appreciates it. Coms for days babyyyyyy

Ugh... I just ran both ex dungeons and they're honestly pretty boring. The
Kugane Castle has a nice throwback to FFX with Yojimbo but the other bosses were a snoozefest... same with Temple of the Fist

I'm already feeling bored... just going to gear up for the ex primals... clear them and maybe take a break. Nothing is really telling me to stay until Omega launches anyway.

Perineum

I ended up picking this up today. I have only a level 28 Marauder as my highest class.

I'm still in the mind numblingly awful parts of ARR content. Sylphs were just talking to me about Ramuh after saving the white big haired one from that dungeon.

I hate to ask, but how far into ARR content am I story wise? 20%? They need to go in and purge this shit big time. Cut it down to 10 missions, up the exp from them all, and regulate shit to cut scenes only. Getting brew for a sylph in the woods as a story mainline quest is trash tier design. Bleh.

-------

Is it true that once I hit 30 I can go straight to Warrior to 50, then SAM right after? No worries about subjobs and subclasses to level anymore? Praise be if this is true.

Luminaire

I ended up picking this up today. I have only a level 28 Marauder as my highest class.

I'm still in the mind numblingly awful parts of ARR content. Sylphs were just talking to me about Ramuh after saving the white big haired one from that dungeon.

I hate to ask, but how far into ARR content am I story wise? 20%? They need to go in and purge this shit big time. Cut it down to 10 missions, up the exp from them all, and regulate shit to cut scenes only. Getting brew for a sylph in the woods as a story mainline quest is trash tier design. Bleh.

-------

Is it true that once I hit 30 I can go straight to Warrior to 50, then SAM right after? No worries about subjobs and subclasses to level anymore? Praise be if this is true.

Some parts in ARR are padded to hell due to stretching the story over 50 levels. It took a 20 hour game and made it 50. You do some pretty mundane stuff, but once you get past 2.0 and move into the 2.X series, things start to pick up. The story goes on an upward trajectory from there.

As for percentage, if you're level 28 and on-par (not level gated by anything), I'd say maybe 30-40% through? It picks up after Titan, I believe.

As for hitting 30, you should be able to get WAR right away. The job quests are pretty good for it, and I believe you no longer need a subjob (which used to be...pugilist? I forget.)

Meguro

Banned
The more I think about the job balance the more I scratch my head.
I love love love playing the new Bard but when someone goes "Two Bards? Are we gonna be fine?" In Susano EX there is a problem.

iammeiam

The more I think about the job balance the more I scratch my head.
I love love love playing the new Bard but when someone goes "Two Bards? Are we gonna be fine?" In Susano EX there is a problem.

Ehhhhhhhhh.

I'm fully and adamantly on board the 'let ranged DPS be real DPS' train, but this is just straight Bismarck 2.0.

Last night's random clear party plucked from PF:
DRK (2x deaths)
WAR
WHM
AST
RDM (2x deaths)
RDM (1x deaths)
RDM (1x deaths)
DRG (1x deaths)

Still a good 20-30 seconds before enrage on the kill. Seven deaths! People running around with 25% or 50% damage reductions! "Lightning markers going out? Guess I'll just stand here and chain AH because ain't nobody jumping!"

Like, there are feasibly situations in which the game will throw DPS checks at the party on a level that ranged splashing around in the kiddie pool is a problem, but seriously bail out of any Susano party where 2x BRD is seriously discussed as a potential DPS shortfall because that's crazy.

Meguro

Banned
Ehhhhhhhhh.

I'm fully and adamantly on board the 'let ranged DPS be real DPS' train, but this is just straight Bismarck 2.0.

Last night's random clear party plucked from PF:
DRK (2x deaths)
WAR
WHM
AST
RDM (2x deaths)
RDM (1x deaths)
RDM (1x deaths)
DRG (1x deaths)

Still a good 20-30 seconds before enrage on the kill. Seven deaths! People running around with 25% or 50% damage reductions! "Lightning markers going out? Guess I'll just stand here and chain AH because ain't nobody jumping!"

Like, there are feasibly situations in which the game will throw DPS checks at the party on a level that ranged splashing around in the kiddie pool is a problem, but seriously bail out of any Susano party where 2x BRD is seriously discussed as a potential DPS shortfall because that's crazy.

Oh yeah, I don't think there's any current content where they are a liability at all. (Damage seemed fine even if we didn't clear it)
It's more an image problem I'm worried about. I played PLD in Heavensward, I don't wanna go through something like that again.

kaioshade

Final story mode trial in Stormbloos is going to be the new Steps of Faith. I am seeing groups get absolutely massacred. Its insanity.

Kenai

Final story mode trial in Stormbloos is going to be the new Steps of Faith. I am seeing groups get absolutely massacred. Its insanity.

I have already heard it's Steps redux in that people are willing to dtich when they zone in.

I don't think it's as bad as Steps was though, for the amount of time it takes to wipe if nothing else. Steps kept going for a while even when the current run was hopeless.

iammeiam

Oh yeah, I don't think there's any current content where they are a liability at all. (Damage seemed fine even if we didn't clear it)
It's more an image problem I'm worried about. I played PLD in Heavensward, I don't wanna go through something like that again.

I wouldn't worry about it too much; the 'need a physical ranged job for manasong' is pretty heavily ingrained into the same people that would likely take the lower damage and extrapolate it out to being totally nonviable and panic-worthy, both being oversimplifications and overreactions, and currently BRD mops the floor with MCH, so I don't really see things in general getting too bad.

Like, nothing so far is approaching BisEX levels of "the secret of success is removing BRD and MCH from every single slot in your PFs" advice, and Bard was still in a pretty solid place heading into Gordias, so I wouldn't worry.

Hi Rachel Nbolo here,

I'm sorry that I got disconnected tonight. I wanted to jump back in, but the console required me to download 2.2 gb first :(.

B.K.

Final boss dead! Took four tries to beat it and we barely beat it when we did. We had to have a healer LB3 to make it. All the DPSs were dead at the end. That last 1% seemed to take forever.

After I get flying in each region, I usually fly around to clear out the maps. While doing this in Stormblood something stuck me.
There is clearly a "village" area for Gyodo's fish race in Yanxia which is mostly unused for the story. There is also a village for that rat race in the Peaks which isn't used in the story either. Both are beast tribes introduced in the story and it seems there are more plans for them. Primals in 4.x confirmed?

Haven't gone back to the Peaks yet, but there are a lot of side quests in the Gyodo village, including an entire chain where you help a Gyodo become a gun runner.

I am one of those weirdos who enjoys doing all of the side quests, so I'm not quite sure which quest chain unlocks the area, but it's definitely used.

KuroNeeko

I was kind of under the assumption that BRD and MCH played similarly pre-4.0.

Is this still the case? Are they still support-heavy, range DPS classes? MCH starts at 30, so I'd just as soon start leveling with that class rather than start back at 1 with BRD...

Pretty exciting time to be playing. So many different jobs I want to try.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I was kind of under the assumption that BRD and MCH played similarly pre-4.0.

Is this still the case? Are they still support-heavy, range DPS classes? MCH starts at 30, so I'd just as soon start leveling with that class rather than start back at 1 with BRD...

Pretty exciting time to be playing. So many different jobs I want to try.

Noo... they play completely different now! Best way to think about it is that Bard is THE support Job of the game while Machinist became a very selfish DPS

Alex

PvP in Stormblood being as good as it is still blows me away. No offense to any of its fans but PvP was really poor before, as it is in almost every MMO.

I haven't played a traditional MMO with good PvP since... ...Season 2 of Burning Crusade. I'm not about to start getting competitive with it but that it's legitimately enjoyable to play is enough.

I'd actually like them to implement some of their PvP logic into PvE as well. Some of the revamped abilities and bloat culling works really well. Actually, in some cases I think the bloat culling was executed in a more satisfying manner in PvP than it was in PvE.

Haly

I get the impression PVP is a testing ground for where they see the future of FFXIV might be. They obviously couldn't overhaul PvE to this extent because it was untested, so they're using PVP to put it through its paces.

Zomba13

I get the impression PVP is a testing ground for where they see the future of FFXIV might be. They obviously couldn't overhaul PvE to this extent because it was untested, so they're using PVP to put it through its paces.

I honestly kind of hope they've done this because the next PVP type will be a MOBA. It would be hard balancing some form of levelling system with the full Job skills so instead they cut it down making it easier to scale with levels or alter with traits.

I recently got pretty big into Heroes of the Storm with some friends so I enjoy MOBAs now and I think it would be a fun game mode, like Verminion.

PvP in Stormblood being as good as it is still blows me away. No offense to any of its fans but PvP was really poor before, as it is in almost every MMO.

I haven't played a traditional MMO with good PvP since... ...Season 2 of Burning Crusade. I'm not about to start getting competitive with it but that it's legitimately enjoyable to play is enough.

I'd actually like them to implement some of their PvP logic into PvE as well. Some of the revamped abilities and bloat culling works really well. Actually, in some cases I think the bloat culling was executed in a more satisfying manner in PvP than it was in PvE.

PVP before had it's moments but most of the time it was just frustrating but now I feel it's much better. Not just the ability changes but the equipment not mattering etc. Makes it much fairer for a competetive mode when everyone is on equal footing stats wise and you aren't hampered by team members not stacking the PVP Morale gear.

AXE

-------

Buying your way through the quests is a valid option. I did that for the HW. If I couldn't, I wouldnt've bought SB.

Vic_Viper

How are the DPS que times now for level 50+?

Are there alot of MSQ dungeons in HW and SB?

Cant decide if I should buy Stormblood now or wait until im finished with HW content.

Luigi87

Started 3.5, getting hyped for Stormblood!

3.4 kind of felt like an allegory for 1.0... Also some of that was depressing as hell.

One thing I really like about FFXIV is how Primals are a constant threat. It was never "Defeated Ifrit, never gonna see him again," but instead there is always a risk that they will be summoned yet again.
I also like that how the Kobold Patriarch
acknowledged the term beast tribe as an insult to his people. It shows that these tribes are more intelligent than the game would initially lead one to believe in ARR

iammeiam

Noo... they play completely different now! Best way to think about it is that Bard is THE support Job of the game while Machinist became a very selfish DPS

wut is this propaganda. Bard is in a better place right now, but... that's not an accurate description of why.

The jobs have always played totally differently, and they now both play differently from how they used to play as well as each other. MCH is having tuning issues, lost some CC skills to cross-role, and bard wins defensive buffs due to Minne (although Troubador's whole not-helping-the-bard makes it sort of awkward as defense; Dismantle is flat damage reduction on all casts from the boss for 5 seconds that's up twice as often, Troubador does various things tied to the current bard song, will work on things like Holy Bleed that Dismantle can't touch, is active for a much longer timespan, and none of the buffs buff the bard meaning you still need to do something to mitigate for them) , but from an rDPS perspective outside the personal they're super interchangeable as their offensive support over the course of a fight is roughly equivalent. MCH's might pull slightly ahead if aligning burst windows is a thing, while a decent chunk of Bard's offensive support is in the form of a constant tiny crit buff.

Top Bottom