• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Firemind

Lugh is better because there are two early bosses who have Killer Axes which Javelins can't do shit against. Lugh offers a safe way to dispose of them. Unlike FE7, critical rate ignores hit rate. Who cares about staff rank when both games offers a multitude of healers?

I thought Lugh was solid. He definitely seemed worse than the mages in previous games but was probably still the strongest mage in FE6. I'm not sure how he could have soloed the desert chapter though, even if he had been promoted by that point (I didn't promote him until a few chapters after that) - even at the end of the game he was pretty fragile and not particularly good at evasion.
This is Lugh in my current HM playthrough at C16:

w6z9hTI.jpg

Lugh is better because there are two early bosses who have Killer Axes which Javelins can't do shit against. Lugh offers a safe way to dispose of them. Unlike FE7, critical rate ignores hit rate. Who cares about staff rank when both games offers a multitude of healers?

seriously? this alone should just disqualify your entire argument :jnc

This is Lugh in my current HM playthrough at C16:

that favoritism with a level 20/12 promoted unit at that point in the game

mstevens

Fire Emblem Heroes convinced me to try Fire Emblem (GBA). Any tips or things I should know going in? I'm particularly worried about spending too much time leveling the wrong units, as I hear there is no way to grind in this game.

PK Gaming

Fire Emblem Heroes convinced me to try Fire Emblem (GBA). Any tips or things I should know going in? I'm particularly worried about spending too much time leveling the wrong units, as I hear there is no way to grind in this game.

Don't worry about it too much

• Focus on a handful of units, rather than spreading EXP. The christmas cavaliers (Sain & Kent) and Florina are some early game units that turn into absolute monsters later on (I especially recommend giving Florina the Angelic Robe). Even if you mess up, FE7 will give you extremely powerful units in the mid/lategame for free.
  • Don't be afraid to use Marcus at all. The enduring myth that Jaigen's waste EXP is completely false, and he lets you play at a significantly faster pace (rather than turtling).
  • Lyn is bad and Eliwood is mediocre. Unless you're completely dead set on using them, I recommend against leveling them.
  • Don't hoard items, use them liberally. Buy a ton of 1-2 range weapons like Javelins and Hand Axes since they're quite good in this game.
  • The Rescue command is your friend. Try to make use of it! (Don't worry, the game will explain it for you)

PK Gaming's advice is very good (he's better at the game than me), but since you're probably just playing on Eliwood Normal, I'd say chill and go through it naturally. The game teaches you how it works pretty well and it's not hard or punishing on the lowest difficulty. That advice is good if you're interested in learning how to play well, but I would just chill and use who you like or think is cool unless you really want to start getting efficient/good at the game.

Even if you screw up early, a lot of the mid/lategame characters like Pent and Harken are really good and can carry you through no problem. I would definitely recommend restarting every time you lose a character though, it's the only way to play imo

mstevens

Don't worry about it too much

• Focus on a handful of units, rather than spreading EXP. The christmas cavaliers (Sain & Kent) and Florina are some early game units that turn into absolute monsters later on (I especially recommend giving Florina the Angelic Robe). Even if you mess up, FE7 will give you extremely powerful units in the mid/lategame for free.
  • Don't be afraid to use Marcus at all. The enduring myth that Jaigen's waste EXP is completely false, and he lets you play at a significantly faster pace (rather than turtling).
  • Lyn is bad and Eliwood is mediocre. Unless you're completely dead set on using them, I recommend against leveling them.
  • Don't hoard items, use them liberally. Buy a ton of 1-2 range weapons like Javelins and Hand Axes since they're quite good in this game.
  • The Rescue command is your friend. Try to make use of it! (Don't worry, the game will explain it for you)

Great thanks! Besides Sain, Kent and Florina, is there anyone else you recommend focusing on?

I'm only on Chapter 4 of Lyn's portion by the way. I really like it so far.

Great thanks! Besides Sain, Kent and Florina, is there anyone else you recommend focusing on?
Hector and Oswin are strong early and since you'll be in Eliwood mode you can promote him early so he stays decentish, though Oswin drops off. Marcus is very good and underutilized by new players who ironically think he's a trap to hurt new players. Raven has very good combat and is only hurt by starting out with swords and lacking a mount. Pent and Harken are very good characters you'll get in the midgame as promoted units with very good base stats.

But honestly, since you're on the lowest difficulty mode, you can use pretty much anyone and be fine.

PK Gaming

I'm only on Chapter 4 of Lyn's portion by the way. I really like it so far.

HECTOR, Lowen, Raven, Erk, Lucius, Canas, Priscilla. Definitely make use out of Ninian/Nils. Dancers are absolutely amazing.

mstevens

Hector and Oswin are strong early and since you'll be in Eliwood mode you can promote him early so he stays decentish, though Oswin drops off. Marcus is very good and underutilized by new players who ironically think he's a trap to hurt new players. Raven has very good combat and is only hurt by starting out with swords and lacking a mount. Pent and Harken are very good characters you'll get in the midgame as promoted units with very good base stats.

But honestly, since you're on the lowest difficulty mode, you can use pretty much anyone and be fine.

I don't remember it asking me to pick a difficulty. Is it on easy by default?

Thanks for all the tips!

I don't remember it asking me to pick a difficulty. Is it on easy by default?

Thanks for all the tips!
Unless you got a rom that lets you choose ahead of time, yeah, you have to clear it on Eliwood Normal before being able to play on harder difficulties. It's still telling you how to play right now, right?

Oh, and a better way to think of whether or not a (combat) unit is good as a general rule of thumb is how many of these boxes does it check off:

-do they kill most to all enemies in one round of combat?
-can they attack at both melee and range (mages and lance/axe users can do this, and it's important that they can consistently kill enemies at this range)?
-can they survive multiple hits in a single enemy phase?
-how high is their movement and can they fly?

For the most part for combat units you just want as many of those boxes ticked as possible, the best units can attack at both ranges and consistently kill multiple enemies on enemy phase. This means good units tend to skew towards mounts and axe/lance users and way from sword and especially bow users. There are exceptions (Raven starts out only with swords and lacks a horse, but is still very strong at combat and gains axes on promotion so he can do everything except move as fast as a mounted unit) but that's why we listed Sain/Kent/Florina as great characters.

tbf I don't think that's entirely correct, you often see people who have no interaction with the fanbase at all use them rather liberally their first time (ironically, sometimes actually too much)
Also I like Nino and all but she's not worth the time and xp needed to bring her up to speed unless you really want to.
Nobody brought up Nino until you did...? lol

tbf I don't think that's entirely correct, you often see people who have no interaction with the fanbase at all use them rather liberally their first time (ironically, sometimes actually too much)

Nobody brought up Nino until you did...? lol
It's been my experience that far more people see him, go "aha, because [jeigan] is so strong but gets little experience, they are a trap character!" even on their first game. I do remember one kid at a summer camp who had lost every character but the lords and Marcus though and I was impressed at how far he got with just him.

Chrom

C5GbkZSUcAAU5nf.png
C5Gblp3UoAAgkBA.png

The Alm and Celica promos that come with the Echoes Valentia Complete/Limited Edition! Really cool to finally see them in the TCG.

L95

They've given a lot of people (well, two) white hair this time around, cliff and boey do white hair just fine though hehe

Josephl64

C5GbkZSUcAAU5nf.png
C5Gblp3UoAAgkBA.png

The Alm and Celica promos that come with the Echoes Valentia Complete/Limited Edition! Really cool to finally see them in the TCG.

So glad I ordered the Complete Edition for this. Just wish the 2 promos were connected art-wise even though they both do look great.

Chrom

C5VnSkFUYAMqtGb.png

Aversa joins Cipher with an N and SR! Her effects work well together with the new Risen cards that were recently introduced.

L95

Nah, its a community for the series as a whole, it's just slow right now and Chrom likes posting the pretty artworks.

IIRC no one bothered to make an OT for the Cipher TCG

Draxal

Nah, its a community for the series as a whole, it's just slow right now and Chrom likes posting the pretty artworks.

IIRC no one bothered to make an OT for the Cipher TCG

It would just Chrom posting art and me ranting about why Deirdre is so fucking expensive.

So is this thread just the OT for the trading card game?

Why has nobody said "yes"?

Er, in all seriousness, I guess most of us are playing Heroes or waiting for Echoes?

As for myself, I've been really busy lately.

When I get paid in a few days, I really need to buy a box of Cipher Series 7. Oh wait, we're going back to Cipher again XD

I've never really tried a gacha game before (I played like, 20 minutes of Terra Battle) but FEH is kind of disappointing. I wasn't expecting too much but it feels like it takes way too long to get new characters and the gameplay isn't actually fun, which makes it just feel like a lot of grinding so I can pull Wendy.

It's possible gacha just isn't for me though.

Wouldn't they have announced FE Switch to be coming out this year if it was? That's what they did for Xenoblade 2.

Anyways I'm hella hyped for Shadows of Valentia because it doesn't look like it has a MU character.

Top Bottom