• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Chrom

fyFQ0K7.png

rightful king

lol at it being Larcei and Shanan, poor Ulster!

Also I remember thinking Shanan was Ayra's brother and being very, uh, surprised when he and Larcei could become lovers.

Chrom

Oh yeah those have been known for a while. They're to be given away at Cipher Sai later this month. Hopefully Mayo will upload the full art sometime after.

Eusis

Really just going all in with abusing what I can with FE Awakening given how long it's been. Had the EXP/Gold/weapon farming DLC and a full street pass count, so I'm hiring powerful endgame Robins to go farm gold and buying high end equipment from those I don't hire.

Well, it always bugged me having that full, and now I can just drain it out in the most broken way possible.

Chrom

C4sWq_DXAAAF873.png

Frederick SR is a huge surprise to me, really like it.

On a different note, this week's Famitsu provides new info on Echoes that further establishes how faithful the game is to Gaiden by confirming that archers still have their innate 1-3 range ability. I'm glad they're bringing the game back along with many of the things that made it unique.

So, 1-3 archers, huh? Were there any downsides to archers in Gaiden? Could I feasibly do an archers-only run for the novelty of saying "I beat an FE with just archers. goml"?

Unrelated: I just noticed Ninian isn't in Heroes.
Can I have a dancing dragon later?

So, 1-3 archers, huh? Were there any downsides to archers in Gaiden? Could I feasibly do an archers-only run for the novelty of saying "I beat an FE with just archers. goml"?

you could do an archer run, but then you'd have to play Gaiden

She's there, but dummied out. I'm sure she'll pop up eventually.

C4vtk4zVYAATt4R.jpg

No warp staff or any restore staves. Thankfully I got lucky with a Bolting critical - without that (or at least having to burn a use of Hammerne) I don't think I would have been able to make it through the start of the chapter.

Great level. I barely managed to kill off Zephiel before my rear forces got overwhelmed by reinforcements.

Ah. Just looked weird to me that we have all these FE6/7 characters and not Ninian. We're also a bit lacking in the dancer department at the moment as we've got a grand total of two of them.

Dude, that's more than in most FE games! Only Genealogy has more, for reasons.

According to the files, she's number 16 in Blazing and, Raven, the last one is number 9 with nothing inbetween. So you can do a countdown maybe XD

Dude, that's more than in most FE games! Only Genealogy has more, for reasons.

According to the files, she's number 16 in Blazing and, Raven, the last one is number 9 with nothing inbetween. So you can do a countdown maybe XD
Is the full character file list from Heroes posted anywhere?

Is the full character file list from Heroes posted anywhere?

Nah, it's very well scrubbed.

I have not had time to check the Family Bonds update, but it's just the characters we know + the enemy-only characters in the story.

I *think* they may have wanted Ninian (she is a plot important character), but didn't have time to implement her or something.

BTW, she's where the Christmas Robin and Tharja pictures came from. They're placeholder pictures for her.

Josh5890

So I think I've really screwed up my game of Conquest. I'm at Chapter 24 and I pretty much only have three or four units that I can rely on to do any damage
Camilla, Gunter, Xander, and one of my archers
. What is worse is that in this chapter all of my characters get picked off very easily, minus
Xander
. Obviously that isn't enough for me to beat the chapter. Any suggestions? I feel like that even if I move past the chapter via luck I won't have any hope in the final three chapters.

Nah, it's very well scrubbed.

I have not had time to check the Family Bonds update, but it's just the characters we know + the enemy-only characters in the story.

I *think* they may have wanted Ninian (she is a plot important character), but didn't have time to implement her or something.

BTW, she's where the Christmas Robin and Tharja pictures came from. They're placeholder pictures for her.
Ah okay. Thanks for the info.

3YQTSbT.png

Beat Binding Blade. Great game; one of my favorites in the series so far.

-Roy is definitely a weak character lol. Even once he had the Binding Blade he couldn't reliably, quickly kill anything other than dragons. Not at all a new realization for Fire Emblem fans, of course, but it's amusing to finally see the real Roy after years of Smash Bros.

-Top fighters - Rutger, Allen, Lance, Dieck, Geese. Percival was probably stronger than Allen or Lance by the end but their supports (with each other and Roy) propelled them above him. (I think that that support adds an interesting layer to the game - Roy isn't very good as a fighter but functions pretty well as a front-line unit regardless. I think that adds an interesting dimension to the game that you miss out on if the main character is really powerful, so I don't mind Roy being weak.) Geese was probably my favorite character to train up in the end, since he turned out extremely strong and got to have exclusive rights to my whole axe collection.

-Lilina was probably the biggest failure I've had in Fire Emblem up to this point. I trained her the whole game but she never turned out good; her speed and durability were always pretty dreadful even after promotion. Actually, it feels like mages in general were relatively weak in this game, but maybe that's just because they feel so overwhelmingly powerful in Genealogy and Thracia. Tried leveling Thany and Miledy, but couldn't get anywhere with either, which definitely hurt me in the end - I probably should have stuck with them more but leveling characters who start off really weak bugs me.

-Merlinus feels really useless. I ended up using all my deployment shots on characters I cared about / needed in every chapter. Do people actually use him frequently?

-Supports are really obnoxious to build up. I don't find stapling characters together for like fifty turns very appealing, especially when the conversation you get out if it is kind of inane. People seem to really love this aspect of FE - does it get improved upon in FE7?

-The desert chapter sucked. Outside of some of Gaiden's slop, it was probably the worst Fire Emblem chapter thus far.

-I ended up having a lot of issues with status staves in this game - weirdly, more than in Thracia 776. I ran out of restore staves during the gaiden chapter with the church tower, and had no silence or warp staves to compensate, so I kind of had to improvise and bullshit my way through most of the status staff guys in the remainder of the game (especially that one in the Zephiel chapter). Satisfying and frustrating. I kind of miss being able to use holy water to completely block status effects.

-I liked the level of difficulty. I'm kind of worried I might find the next few games a bit too easy, since people seem to say this is one of the harder ones.

So:
Thracia 776 > Binding Blade > Mystery of the Emblem > Genealogy of the Holy War > Shadow Dragon > Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light > Gaiden

Really excited to play Blazing Sword next. I'm curious - a lot of people say it's one of their favorites in the series, so as a direct sequel to Binding Blade, what would people say makes 7 better?

Playing through the 3DS games and now Heroes are making me want to go back to the GBA games. Which game would you recommend I start with of the three? I know Blazing Blade is a prequel to Binding but came out later so I'm not sure which to start with. Should I just go in release order?

Weebos

Banned
Really excited to play Blazing Sword next. I'm curious - a lot of people say it's one of their favorites in the series, so as a direct sequel to Binding Blade, what would people say makes 7 better?

I've played 7 a ton and only play through 6 once, so my comparison will be off. I think Blazing Sword is a much more polished experience. The gameplay feels tighter and more balanced.

Playing through the 3DS games and now Heroes are making me want to go back to the GBA games. Which game would you recommend I start with of the three? I know Blazing Blade is a prequel to Binding but came out later so I'm not sure which to start with. Should I just go in release order?

Blazing Blade is the easiest to start with because it was actually localized. If you have no problems with playing a fan translated FE6 then that is also a fine place to start. It might be easier to start with Sacred Stones as it is the closest mechanically to Birthright and Awakening.

I've played 7 a ton and only play through 6 once, so my comparison will be off. I think Blazing Sword is a much more polished experience. The gameplay feels tighter and more balanced.

Blazing Blade is the easiest to start with because it was actually localized. If you have no problems with playing a fan translated FE6 then that is also a fine place to start. It might be easier to start with Sacred Stones as it is the closest mechanically to Birthright and Awakening.

I have no problem playing through fan translated games so I'll probably just flip a coin between 6 and Sacred Stones. Thanks for the input.

-Roy is definitely a weak character lol. Even once he had the Binding Blade he couldn't reliably, quickly kill anything other than dragons. Not at all a new realization for Fire Emblem fans, of course, but it's amusing to finally see the real Roy after years of Smash Bros.

lol yup Roy always a scrub

-Lilina was probably the biggest failure I've had in Fire Emblem up to this point. I trained her the whole game but she never turned out good; her speed and durability were always pretty dreadful even after promotion. Actually, it feels like mages in general were relatively weak in this game, but maybe that's just because they feel so overwhelmingly powerful in Genealogy and Thracia. Tried leveling Thany and Miledy, but couldn't get anywhere with either, which definitely hurt me in the end - I probably should have stuck with them more but leveling characters who start off really weak bugs me.

Even if you were playing on normal mode, how does Miledy start off "really weak"?

-Merlinus feels really useless. I ended up using all my deployment shots on characters I cared about / needed in every chapter. Do people actually use him frequently?

It's not like you always have to deploy him, just on maps where you go shopping (aka BOOTS).

-Supports are really obnoxious to build up. I don't find stapling characters together for like fifty turns very appealing, especially when the conversation you get out if it is kind of inane. People seem to really love this aspect of FE - does it get improved upon in FE7?

NOPE

yeah, GBA supports are terrible mechanically

-The desert chapter sucked. Outside of some of Gaiden's slop, it was probably the worst Fire Emblem chapter thus far.

get gud tbh

-I liked the level of difficulty. I'm kind of worried I might find the next few games a bit too easy, since people seem to say this is one of the harder ones.

you could always play FE12 :p

Gonna give you the hot take here: Blazing Sword was the Awakening of the series before Awakening existed, as in most people started with it as their first game and as a result are biased towards it.

Merlinus is a great distraction tool, he once saved my bacon on chapter four by eating an axe that probably would've killed someone who wasn't on casual mode.

Gonna give you the hot take here: Blazing Sword was the Awakening of the series before Awakening existed, as in most people started with it as their first game and as a result are biased towards it.
But it's different because it was my first game and is therefore perfect.

Firemind

Roy isn't very good as a fighter but functions pretty well as a front-line unit regardless. I think that adds an interesting dimension to the game that you miss out on if the main character is really powerful, so I don't mind Roy being weak.)
This is why FE6 is the best. Nothing is more boring than a lord that can solo the chapter *coughikecough*

-Lilina was probably the biggest failure I've had in Fire Emblem up to this point. I trained her the whole game but she never turned out good; her speed and durability were always pretty dreadful even after promotion. Actually, it feels like mages in general were relatively weak in this game, but maybe that's just because they feel so overwhelmingly powerful in Genealogy and Thracia.
Lugh is THE mage of FE6. He's like Erk but actually awesome. Lugh can solo the south part of the desert map you had trouble with all by himself if you had leveled him up. With Lilina you're in the mercy of the RNG gods.

Typical someone who's jealous of Roy's massive swag.

Lugh is THE mage of FE6. He's like Erk but actually awesome. Lugh can solo the south part of the desert map you had trouble with all by himself if you had leveled him up. With Lilina you're in the mercy of the RNG gods.
Huh what Lugh is trash and is definitely worse than Erk. He's marginally better than Lilina but they're both still bad. Best anima user is Cecilia, which says more about mage quality than anything lol

my first online handle was erkrocks so I gotta stick up for my boy when such slander is thrown around

Firemind

Huh what Lugh is trash and is definitely worse than Erk. He's marginally better than Lilina but they're both still bad. Best anima user is Cecilia, which says more about mage quality than anything lol
Unfortunately for Erk, FE7 has Pent who is RNG proof. Lugh also has the superior fire affinity and can support with Miredy who is one of the most useful units in the game. Erk can support with... Pent LOL.

Marginally better than Lilina LOL. Unlike Lilina, Lugh can actually dodge AND take a hit. He's one of the most useful units you can have in the desert chapter as he doesn't get the movement penalty. Remember that it's also a fog of war map. Lilina would not fare well against the dragon knights hiding from vision.

Unfortunately for Erk, FE7 has Pent who is RNG proof. Lugh also has the superior fire affinity and can support with Miredy who is one of the most useful units in the game. Erk can support with... Pent LOL.

Marginally better than Lilina LOL. Unlike Lilina, Lugh can actually dodge AND take a hit. He's one of the most useful units you can have in the desert chapter as he doesn't get the movement penalty. Remember that it's also a fog of war map. Lilina would not fare well against the dragon knights hiding from vision.
Lugh does like 4 damage per hit, his speed doesn't really matter. It's basically the opposite of Lilina, who has lulzy nukes but is slow (and also shows up eight chapters in as a level one character lol). It doesn't really change that both are really bad, Lugh will do some chip damage in a couple of early chapters and then be pretty worthless. I don't really see why the desert chapter matter because you should already have Milady by then to take care of it? She's already the strongest combat unit in the game and has superior movement to Lugh.

Pent is better than Erk but Erk has like 10 chapters before him that he doesn't have where he can be pretty useful and doesn't just cease to have decent 1-2 range combat after Pent shows up.

Firemind

What? Lugh has no equal in the game, especially if you want someone to wield Forblaze which Clarine likely can't. Why would you want to use Lilina who has worse stats and comes later? You can't compare him to Miredy, who by the way can't really deal with the Mamkutes in the desert.

Erk not only has Pent as competition, but Lucius, Canas, Nino and near the end Athos as well.

You guys are both wrong lol, Erk and Lugh are about equally useful in their respective games.

Also lmao at suggesting Nino is competing for anything other than "worst unit", or that you need an anima user in either game.

Firemind

You need Lugh to take care of the armor knights in the early chapters on Hard if you care about ranking.

You don't need Erk on Hard because LOL Marcus.

Sorry. You're just wrong, bub.

You need Lugh to take care of the armor knights in the early chapters on Hard if you care about ranking.

You don't need Erk on Hard because LOL Marcus.

Sorry. You're just wrong, bub.

>FE6 rank, aka the most lenient thing in the universe (other than FE12's)

LOL

edit: changing my mind Erk is definitely better cause STAFF RANK

Even if you were playing on normal mode, how does Miledy start off "really weak"?

It's not like you always have to deploy him, just on maps where you go shopping (aka BOOTS).

NOPE

yeah, GBA supports are terrible mechanically

get gud tbh

you could always play FE12 :p

I felt like Miledy was too weak to be able to effectively kill enemies in one or two rounds in the first chapters she appeared in (not to mention she seemed kind of inaccurate, maybe due to lances). Ultimately it was a mistake to not level her up but doing so seemed like a pain so I didn't bother.

I thought Lugh was solid. He definitely seemed worse than the mages in previous games but was probably still the strongest mage in FE6. I'm not sure how he could have soloed the desert chapter though, even if he had been promoted by that point (I didn't promote him until a few chapters after that) - even at the end of the game he was pretty fragile and not particularly good at evasion.

I'll definitely play FE12 later, once I work up to it. Just bought FE7, so I'll be playing that next.

Top Bottom