• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

PGamer

fucking juniors
Is anyone still having issues with Flash player? I'm updated to the latest version of Flash and on Firefox 15 yet I still get problems, especially with YouTube videos. It's getting kind of frustrating now.

Izick

Is anyone still having issues with Flash player? I'm updated to the latest version of Flash and on Firefox 15 yet I still get problems, especially with YouTube videos. It's getting kind of frustrating now.

Me. It's fucking atrocious still for Firefox and Chrome.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Agreed.

Is the update worse? I have it sitting on my desktop and am scared to install.
The update for what, Flash or Firefox? I just updated both within the last couple of days and neither really seemed to change much of anything.

Me. It's fucking atrocious still for Firefox and Chrome.

Have you disabled protected mode yet? It has fixed the Flash problems for me:

------------------------------------

To disable Protected Mode, open the file called mms.cfg file which is located in:

Windows 32bit: C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash

Windows 64bit: C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

Open that file in notepad and add this line to it:

ProtectedMode=0

then save the file
-----------------------------------

Izick

Agreed.

Is the update worse? I have it sitting on my desktop and am scared to install.

Firefox? Fine. Flash? Fixed nothing, but didn't make it noticeably worse.

Have you disabled protected mode yet? It has fixed the Flash problems for me:

------------------------------------

To disable Protected Mode, open the file called mms.cfg file which is located in:

Windows 32bit: C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash

Windows 64bit: C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

Open that file in notepad and add this line to it:

ProtectedMode=0

then save the file
-----------------------------------

Might give that whirl.

Hmm, even after the update, I'm still having a font-smoothing problem. On sites like Imgur, the font smoothing is briefly sub-pixel rendering, then switches to graysclae rendering on hovers. I have it set to grayscale smoothing and all the text outside that site shows up as I intended. Just me?

Blackhead

Redarse
Still no support for retina Macbooks. Not even support for native Mac scrollbars. I'm using a Firefox 17 nightly and the memory management is glorious but it still stings a lot that Firefox barely cares about my chosen OS

Firefox finally works properly again on my pc. Don't know why it was shitting the bed all of a sudden, but a fresh re-install after I heard FF15 was released, did the trick. Had to use Chrome for a month, and while it's a great browser as well, FF still has more tricks and add-ons that I like. Awesome!
bar.

rwBOm.jpg

Adobe Flash is still a bitch though.

Izick

Firefox finally works properly again on my pc. Don't know why it was shitting the bed all of a sudden, but a fresh re-install after I heard FF15 was released, did the trick. Had to use Chrome for a month, and while it's a great browser as well, FF still has more tricks and add-ons that I like. Awesome!
bar.

rwBOm.jpg

Adobe Flash is still a bitch though.

To be fair, Flash is dogshit everywhere still.

Izick

True. The plugin is a steaming pile of shit in Chrome as well. But moreso in Firefox. I haven't had any big issues yet since the reinstall of FF though. *crosses fingers*

I'm so sick of Flash. I absolutely loathed it when I was using Ubuntu Linux. It was absolutely atrocious. I still don't understand what Adobe is doing. They don't care about anything besides PC's, instead of the growing tablet and phone markets, and yet it's not even good on PC's, hell it's terrible most of the time.

Can anybody suggest an add on for FF for browsing in the dark so it's easier on the eyes? I had one but it's no longer compatible.

Thanks,

sca2511

Went back to FF. Still having youtube/flash video stuttering issues from time to time, but I can't leave the add-ons. Bonus that FF always renders pages correctly.

malfcn

Augh, was surfing last night and all of a sudden FF took a dump on me. Anything with a script or Flash either crashes or hangs the browser.

But on second thought, WMP and FLV were hanging too. Doing a scan. Augh.

Sagitario

Did this actually fix anything? All the last few updates have been terrible and I've had to use chrome for anything flash related.

Same here, but this update seems to fix it.
I just played a video within GAF and I didn't notice any stuttering, and it played smoothly most of the time.

It might be a placebo effect, but I still think it played a little bit better (smoothly) on Chrome.

This is the video I am talking about: https://youtube.com/watch?v=5OjAoRNYdUY

sca2511

You're getting me excited

edit:
still getting stutters, though it seems better. I'll try a clean install and see if that works.

Dany

Banned
Firefox just told me that Java on my mac is unstable and that I should restart my browser.

Anyone else get this?

When did Firefox become so shit? I'm finally going to switch to Chrome.

That's weird. I just switched back to Firefox from Chrome because it's running so smoothly.

On the other hand, Chrome (STILL!) chokes on pages with multiple GIFs and just ruined the look of the fonts with their newest version.

PJX

That's weird. I just switched back to Firefox from Chrome because it's running so smoothly.

On the other hand, Chrome (STILL!) chokes on pages with multiple GIFs and just ruined the look of the fonts with their newest version.

Firefox hasn't been running smoothly for awhile now for me. I've updated, uninstall it, re-install it and nothing seems to work. List of problems with Firefox I've been having:

• Pages haven't been displaying properly even though it displays well on Explorer
  • Constant "Page cannot be displayed" even though it shows up for other browsers
  • Constant freezing
  • Constant crashing
  • Firefox window background despite no window being open and I block pop-ups from opening.

I thought maybe it would be my cookies or history or maybe one of the plug-ins but it turns out that its none of them because on a fresh Firefox install it still has the same problems.

Tailer

Firefox hasn't been running smoothly for awhile now for me. I've updated, uninstall it, re-install it and nothing seems to work. List of problems with Firefox I've been having:

• Pages haven't been displaying properly even though it displays well on Explorer
  • Constant "Page cannot be displayed" even though it shows up for other browsers
  • Constant freezing
  • Constant crashing
  • Firefox window background despite no window being open and I block pop-ups from opening.

I thought maybe it would be my cookies or history or maybe one of the plug-ins but it turns out that its none of them because on a fresh Firefox install it still has the same problems.

Sucks, thank God I do not experience the same problems, I did have some serious problems with flash but then I just decided to downgrade which fixed all my problems.

Did you delete all the profiles on the computer and leftover Firefox files after the uninstall? That could cause problems if there was corrupted profile or if Firefox had accidentally created multiple profiles in the past.

Road

• Constant freezing
  • Constant crashing

A fresh install does not imply a fresh profile, and it's in your profile that most of the junk stays.

Have you created a new profile or reset the current one?

Edit: beaten even in this incredibly slow thread...

PJX

Did you delete all the profiles on the computer and leftover Firefox files after the uninstall? That could cause problems if there was corrupted profile or if Firefox had accidentally created multiple profiles in the past.

A fresh install does not imply a fresh profile, and it's in your profile that most of the junk stays.

Have you created a new profile or reset the current one?

Edit: beaten even in this incredibly slow thread...

Yup.

Is there a NeoGAF user highlighter for Greasemonkey that works? The one on userscripts is outdated and doesn't work anymore.

Top Bottom