• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

I ditched Chrome a few weeks ago and came back to Firefox but I've been having issues. If I've been away from the computer for a wee while or using another program when I come back and try to refresh a page/open a new tab Firefox freezes for 5-10 seconds. I switched to Waterfox which is an improvement but the issue is still there. I only run a few addons; adblock (disabled on GAF!), flashblock, last pass, stylish and fvd speed dial. I have a decent enough laptop (8GB ram, SSD, quad core i7 etc).

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? I've tried Googling the issue but I've only found a few others who have experienced the same and couldn't find a solution :(

Have you tried using a new profile?

BLACKLAC

I tried using waterfox (ver 15) to see what the fuss is about but I get a Trojan warning when trying to install. What's up with that?

MC RaZaR

Neo Member
Yup, it's really weird. I'll try another new profile when Windows 8 comes out and hopefully that'll fix it.

I think you can delete your profile folder and a new clean one will be automatically created when you run Firefox. Your current profile might be in the App Data folder.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah got my FF update as soon as I booted up my desktop this evening. I figured they'd hotfix it ASAP so no real reason to roll back.

Sagitario

Greasemonkey got updated. You shouldn't have any more problems with the highlighter script.

What's is this Waterfox everyone is talking about? Is it based on Firefox? How is the security and add-ons/extensions support?

Sordid

From reading the FAQ, it seems like NoScript, Adblock Plus, and Greasemonkey aren't compatible which is a dealbreaker for me.

Not sure about the others but adblock works fine here.

Edit: "Your add-ons/extensions work on any version of Firefox, on any platform! That means they all work with Waterfox."

Edit 2: I'm using Pale Moon (another x64 variant) now, I copied my profile over from Firefox/Waterfox and my freezing issue is gone. Very weird but I'm happy!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Been on Waterfox for the better part of a year. It's great and handles every extension Firefox does. My advice would be - set up sync to transfer your bookmarks and passwords, create a whole new profile, sync your passwords and bookmarks back, and start off with a fresh settings file. After carrying around the same cruddy profile folder for 7 or so years it felt liberating to make that jujpl

FF.png

Waterfox also doesn't attempt to re-engineer parts of the codebase like PaleMoon, so they should be generally faster at integrating the latest security fixes.

Volimar

Argh, got another blue screen. It said:

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Funnily enough, nvidia just put out a new update for the graphics card I use on the 8th, so I'm getting that now.

It's so frustrating when you're not tech savvy at all. Really hoping this solves it.

Edit - Well, I've manually updated pretty much everything. Flash, reader, graphics driver. I really really hope that did the trick.

Veezy

que?
Been on Waterfox for the better part of a year. It's great and handles every extension Firefox does. My advice would be - set up sync to transfer your bookmarks and passwords, create a whole new profile, sync your passwords and bookmarks back, and start off with a fresh settings file. After carrying around the same cruddy profile folder for 7 or so years it felt liberating to make that jujpl

FF.png

Waterfox also doesn't attempt to re-engineer parts of the codebase like PaleMoon, so they should be generally faster at integrating the latest security fixes.

Do you find using 64-bit much faster than 32?

Maybe on slower or different computers it makes a difference, but I haven't noticed any difference between Waterfox and Firefox. They both work as they should (for now).

Vanillalite

Maybe on slower or different computers it makes a difference, but I haven't noticed any difference between Waterfox and Firefox. They both work as they should (for now).

Pretty much the same from my albiet limited use of Waterfox verses Firefox. Since I couldn't really see a big difference I figured it's better to just stick with FF proper.

Vanillalite

I'm not really seeing much of a difference between FF16 and Nightly 19?

Better PDF support built in.

Mozilla keeps saying they are going to push the PDF support in the next releaes, but each release comes and goes. 15 didn't get it. 16 is out and it doesn't have it.

Emitan

Firefox 16.0.1 on my Mac has the download manager but it seems my Windows desktop is still using the old one?

EDIT: WTF seems like the new download manager is gone and its just the old one again. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Sagitario

Is there any way to know what's causing a page to never stop loading?

In one of the laptops I use, GAF threads always load but the loading icon never stops (and I have to click the Stop/Reload icon several times for the thread to reload).

Mr_Zombie

You can install a plugin called Firebug (the best developer tool for webmasters for Firefox). Open it, switch to the "Net" tab and reload the page. Firebug will list every single element (html, css files, javascript scripts, images etc) loading on the page and the time it took for them to load. You will also see which elements haven't been fully downloaded yet.

Sagitario

You can install a plugin called Firebug (the best developer tool for webmasters for Firefox). Open it, switch to the "Net" tab and reload the page. Firebug will list every single element (html, css files, javascript scripts, images etc) loading on the page and the time it took for them to load. You will also see which elements haven't been fully downloaded yet.

I will try it later.
¡Gracias, Señor_Zombie! :)

Bloom

Banned
One thing that does bug me with Firefox or Palemoon/Waterfox, is that I can never seem to get it to scroll smoothly.

This is on all of my laptops, on my desktop at home with an i7-3770k, and at my workplace with a Pentium 4.

Chrome (and its variants) and Opera are silky smooth in comparison, Opera especially.

Yet, I like the way Firefox displays stuff the best, fonts especially.

Is there a way to get it to scroll just as smoothly as the others? If so I wish to be told exactly how.

Kammie

One thing that does bug me with Firefox or Palemoon/Waterfox, is that I can never seem to get it to scroll smoothly.

This is on all of my laptops, on my desktop at home with an i7-3770k, and at my workplace with a Pentium 4.

Chrome (and its variants) and Opera are silky smooth in comparison, Opera especially.

Yet, I like the way Firefox displays stuff the best, fonts especially.

Is there a way to get it to scroll just as smoothly as the others? If so I wish to be told exactly how.
Try the Yet Another Smooth Scrolling extension. You can customize it for how fast you want it to go, and even change the acceleration. And if you spin the wheel fast, it picks up momentum and moves even faster. I can't use any browser without it.

Bloom

Banned
That's one thing I installed, however it doesn't seem to do anything different that I can see. I probably don't know how to configure it though.

Anteater

Are there any extensions that lets me start a private tab/window instead of quitting the current session and starting a new one?

Kammie

That's one thing I installed, however it doesn't seem to do anything different that I can see. I probably don't know how to configure it though.
The addon has three different presets you can set (red, blue, green). Make sure that you can either see the addon icon on your Firefox bar somewhere, or if not, go into the addon preferences to make it show up in the context menu when you right-click. This is where you select which of the three presets you want.

These are the settings I use. Just try them out, and you should see a difference with the screen basically sliding real fast. If you see no difference at all, make sure you don't have any other addons or anything interfering (my mouse has a scrolling addon for all my browsers, and I had to disable it to get this one to work).

Step Size: 90
Smoothness (Forepart): 53.8
Smoothness: 70
Acceleration Sensitivity: 450

Bouncy Edge: Off
Smoothing Algorithm: Manageable (ver 2)​

Are there any extensions that lets me start a private tab/window instead of quitting the current session and starting a new one?

I want to know this too. The only thing I like better about Chrome over Firefox is how you can have a normal browsing window and private browsing window open at the same time.

Volimar

Well, after a few days of no crashes, I've reinstalled Firefox. I'm really hoping my problems just stemmed from an out of date graphics driver or flash version.

ksdixon

Goddamit.

In 'Tabs On Top' mode in Nightly, it stuffs tabs into the title bar when the window is maximized. I don't mind this, but it now means that double-clicking empty space in tab bar on a non-maximized window does not open a new tab.

EDIT: Solution:
After downloading an xpi edit of TabMixPlus (here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpddhyybo39i3pl/tab_mix_plus-0.4.0.4pre.120724b.xpi ) because the official version had an "XML Parsing Error", I was able to set TMP addon to 'double click on tabbar to open new tab' and 'prevent doubleclick on tabbar from resizing window'.

Now I just wish I could get rid of FF's new download manager.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Has anyone else been experiencing a bug with the last few versions of Firefox where the process sometimes doesn't actually stop after the browser's been closed? I've been waiting for this to get fixed for quite a while now and now I'm wondering if this is a common thing or something on my end.

ksdixon

Has anyone else been experiencing a bug with the last few versions of Firefox where the process sometimes doesn't actually stop after the browser's been closed? I've been waiting for this to get fixed for quite a while now and now I'm wondering if this is a common thing or something on my end.

Happens to me with Nightly, but not FF.

Is it possible to get rid of the scrolling up or down a page at the very end pushes you back thing?

I know it sounds weird but its hard to explain, whenever you are at the very top of a page and scroll up the scroll bar and page go up and pushes you down, its kind of annoying.

Gif of what I am talking about

iwyuLHXLpGZ5k.gif

Kammie

Is it possible to get rid of the scrolling up or down a page at the very end pushes you back thing?

I know it sounds weird but its hard to explain, whenever you are at the very top of a page and scroll up the scroll bar and page go up and pushes you down, its kind of annoying.
You mean a rubberband effect like on a smartphone? I don't think Firefox has that feature, so it's probably an add-on. If you're using the Yet Another Smooth Scrolling add-on, I know that has it, because I disabled it in its options.

Top Bottom