• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

You mean a rubberband effect like on a smartphone? I don't think Firefox has that feature, so it's probably an add-on. If you're using the Yet Another Smooth Scrolling add-on, I know that has it, because I disabled it in its options.

Sweet! Thank you, that was it lol

I kicked Chrome to the curb and have been using Waterfox on my home PC and Firefox at work but there are couple of things bothering me.

Why do the spellcheck suggestions never leave my context menu even after I add to dictionary or make a correction? It's incredibly annoying since I use a lot of addon commands via the right-click context menu. Happens in Firefox 16.0.1 and in Waterfox 15.0.

Second is memory usage. Firefox 16.0.1 uses significantly less memory than Chrome but Waterfox 15.0 uses significantly more than Firefox. Is this because Waterfox uses more memory to assist with tasks and load or are there some significant updates from Firefox 15 to Firefox 16 that reduced the memory usage?

Edit: Nevermind about the spell check. It looks like one of my addons was causing this problem. Still concerned about the memory usage though.

neoanarch

I think every update improves memory usage. I also think 15 > 16 was a major upgrade in that regard. try checking about:memory.

Anyone else having an issue with sync and FF 17? I keep getting crashes and sync errors when its trying to update.

Madtown_

I kicked Chrome to the curb and have been using Waterfox on my home PC and Firefox at work but there are couple of things bothering me.

Why do the spellcheck suggestions never leave my context menu even after I add to dictionary or make a correction? It's incredibly annoying since I use a lot of addon commands via the right-click context menu. Happens in Firefox 16.0.1 and in Waterfox 15.0.

Second is memory usage. Firefox 16.0.1 uses significantly less memory than Chrome but Waterfox 15.0 uses significantly more than Firefox. Is this because Waterfox uses more memory to assist with tasks and load or are there some significant updates from Firefox 15 to Firefox 16 that reduced the memory usage?

Edit: Nevermind about the spell check. It looks like one of my addons was causing this problem. Still concerned about the memory usage though.
64 bit, in general, will use more memory than the 32 bit firefox. It could just be that. most memory improvements at this point for firefox are incremental.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Clearing history takes forever for me if I haven't done it in some time. Pretty annoying. It never used to take this long in earlier iterations.

smurfx

get some go again
so i was having major problems playing youtube videos on firefox and thought it was a problem with firefox and it turned out it was because i opted in to html5 on youtube and forgot. opted out and now everything works. -_-

Wow, does Firefox sync suck. To get another machine synced, you first need a key set up on your original PC. Just let me log in with a username and password like Chrome.

Madtown_

Wow, does Firefox sync suck. To get another machine synced, you first need a key set up on your original PC. Just let me log in with a username and password like Chrome.

So setting up sync sucks, but that is just one part of sync.
However I agree, I think they are working on changing that.

Izayoi

Banned
A 64-bit application can access (and utilize) all of your RAM. I'm not sure if there's a way to tweak how much it uses (I'm sure there is), but by default it's going to use a lot more RAM than any other browser out there.

Switched to Waterfox from Firefox a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it.

Emitan

A 64-bit application can access (and utilize) all of your RAM. I'm not sure if there's a way to tweak how much it uses (I'm sure there is), but by default it's going to use a lot more RAM than any other browser out there.

Switched to Waterfox from Firefox a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it.
I switched this morning but I miss the downloads list from Nightly :(

I stopped using Waterfox when it fell behind. Whoever is doing it finally caught up with 16.0.1, but it's outdated again with no 16.0.2 version.

It didn't hurt anyways since Firefox 16 was a massive improvement over 15. I really like where they're going with this. At this rate, they'll be even with Chrome shortly, especially considering how much Chrome has shot itself in the foot lately.

Jal

Is there some way to turn of scroll acceleration, this bothers me on safari now firefox does it too.

Mr_Zombie

I don't understand why they complicated the process so much. Both Chrome and Opera requires you to simply log in using your account (it's especially easy in Chrome, since you simply use your G+/Gmail account). Why do you need the key in Firefox? If they wanted to make the process more secure, requiring you to confirm the synchronization via an e-mail message would be much easier.

So setting up sync sucks, but that is just one part of sync.
However I agree, I think they are working on changing that.

For me the problem was that I didn't have a key after reinstalling win 8. A dumb mistake on my part. Luckily, most bookmarks were also synced on chrome so I didn't lose too much. At least it cleaned up my FF installation.

Bloom

Banned
I ended up switching to Opera. I grew tired of Firefox's add-ons making a page slow down randomly, and the Chromium team has ruined its fonts ever since version 22, and refuses to fix it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I ended up switching to Opera. I grew tired of Firefox's add-ons making a page slow down randomly, and the Chromium team has ruined its fonts ever since version 22, and refuses to fix it.

Not that I dislike Opera or anything, but why blame Firefox? Why not just get rid of the offending add-on?

Emitan

I don't know if this helps any, but there is a 64-bit version of nightly...

Scroll to bottom of list.

From what I've read though, it's not as optimized as Waterfox.

I'll try it out. Thanks!

Opera is the best browser very basic

DBCcH.jpg

:p

Man the font rendering on my firefox is completely fucked and I don't have hardware rendering on.

Stealth: Well fuck, my font rendering issues are gone completely now that I enabled hardware rendering...wtf?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I went from Chrome to Firefox 16 not too long ago, was nice till i went to youtube and the videos keep freezing firefox for a few seconds while the audio continued. Its not my PC for sure, latest video drivers, latest flash, latest firefox version, nothing worked. I decided to go with Opera and i've been satisfied so far but its really bugging me that firefox had that only flaw for me. Anyone would know why? GTX460 and Phenom X6 1090T, SSD drive. I dont think its hardware specs, i mean i run all modern games at near max quality, its not going to be youtube videos that will test this hardware, most likely an incompatibility between firefox and flash.

I went from Chrome to Firefox 16 not too long ago, was nice till i went to youtube and the videos keep freezing firefox for a few seconds while the audio continued. Its not my PC for sure, latest video drivers, latest flash, latest firefox version, nothing worked. I decided to go with Opera and i've been satisfied so far but its really bugging me that firefox had that only flaw for me. Anyone would know why? GTX460 and Phenom X6 1090T, SSD drive. I dont think its hardware specs, i mean i run all modern games at near max quality, its not going to be youtube videos that will test this hardware, most likely an incompatibility between firefox and flash.

Have you tried to disable protected mode in flash? Doing that fixed all issues for me on 3 different computers:

To disable Protected Mode, open the mms.cfg file located in:

Windows 32bit: C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash

Windows 64bit: C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

then add this line to it and save the file:

ProtectedMode=0

Blackhead

Redarse
Is there a (working) firefox plugin/extension/script to view emojis?
(emojis such as &#128525; <- there is an emoji there)

I see an emoticon and I have no special extension installed for viewing those. Maybe it's because I have Asian languages installed.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Have you tried to disable protected mode in flash? Doing that fixed all issues for me on 3 different computers:

To disable Protected Mode, open the mms.cfg file located in:

Windows 32bit: C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash

Windows 64bit: C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

then add this line to it and save the file:

ProtectedMode=0

Wow, seems to be working so far, thank you.

Aaaaaand my problem is back again.

My website history is burned into FF. No matter how much or with what tools I try to delete my history, a random selection of websites keep showing up. Mind you, not in a dropdown menu, but in the autocomplete manner within the awesomebar. Type "n" and it will show "neogaf.com" in grey in the bar. It does not appear in the dropdown menu, indicating that it is in fact not really in my browsing history anymore. Yet it always shows up within the bar.

Aaaaaand my problem is back again.

My website history is burned into FF. No matter how much or with what tools I try to delete my history, a random selection of websites keep showing up. Mind you, not in a dropdown menu, but in the autocomplete manner within the awesomebar. Type "n" and it will show "neogaf.com" in grey in the bar. It does not appear in the dropdown menu, indicating that it is in fact not really in my browsing history anymore. Yet it always shows up within the bar.

Press the delete key while it's highlighted?

Press the delete key while it's highlighted?

That only works with the drop down menu items from the awesomebar. When you click delete during the auto-complete function of the awesomebar however, you just delete the letter(s) after your cursor. You know, regular "del" function in a text field.

Example: I can't remember the last time I've gone to gamerankings.com. My browsing history is completely empty. And yet, this happens when I type in "ga" in the awesomebar. Note that there isn't a dropdown menu. It's just the autocomplete function.

9OLO1.png

Anyone know of a Firefox mod that allows me to set the save location on a per file type per site basis? I know Firefox has this built in for the most part, but it's got limitations.

inm8num2

Every time a download finishes, Firefox freezes/hiccups for a moment. The bigger the file, the longer the hiccup.

Normal?

Aurongel

Every time a download finishes, Firefox freezes/hiccups for a moment. The bigger the file, the longer the hiccup.

Normal?

I was told a while ago that this was caused by some sort of hitch in the anti-virus scan that runs when a download completes. The boolean controlling the autoscan can be toggled in the about:config menu.

Try looking it up and see if it works.
It didn't work for me, so I switched to Chrome :(

inm8num2

Yea I figured it's part of my MSE scanning the file, but I just don't get why FF stalls so badly.

They need to fix this.

Nuklear

Banned
Anybody else that uses Firefox just have flash just run like absolute crap on it? Flash runs perfectly fine on Chrome but on Firefox performance just takes a nosedive.

It might just be my imagination, but the freezing seems way less noticeable when I replaced the normal download window with the Download Statusbar add-on.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I backedup my profile for Firefox and Thunderbird, reinstalled my PC, but it doesn't do anything if I copy/paste the content in the profiles in the default created profiles.

That's how it says to restore profiles, but it doesn't do anything. It's as if I pasted nothing. Any idea?

Restoring the bookmarks was easy. Should be as easy for the profile.....

Top Bottom