• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
title.png

Firefox 17 Mobile Released

So Mozilla released Firefox 17 mobile. Heck that puts it ahead of the desktop version.

Meanwhile Google seems to still not give a fuck about mobile chrome. Mozilla seems to update Firefox on a monthly basis.

PS: If you haven't tried out Firefox since say a year or so ago check it out again as Mozilla has changed things up quite a bit since then.

title.png

A day after Mozilla pushed out Firefox 17 for Android it has now pushed out Firefox 17 for desktop users as well. In theory if you were running FF 16 it should auto update now similar to chrome. That being said you can always manually update if need be.

What's New: The Firefox 17 general release notes.

The full list release notes can be found HERE!

Scanned the list, but maybe I missed it.

Did the long awaited private session per window feature make it in?

I've been using the beta for a long time now. Fantastically smooth and stable.

Still have Chrome installed, but Firefox keeps me coming back. Just a better overall experience of late.
Same here. I guess now that Google no longer supports chrome on OSX 10.5, so basically they gave any kind of good will I had with them to Firefox and Opera. I know that OSX 10.5 is pretty old, I get that I should have upgraded, but I have an older mac, and I didn't like what they were doing with Lion or Mountain Lion, and just skipped Snow Leopard. Before Chrome started really sucking in the last few months of updates, I was really liking chrome in previous years.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone been having issues with YouTube videos lately? It seems to just be YouTube videos that won't load, other streaming websites seem to work fine.

I've reinstalled FireFox and Flash and I cannot seem to find a solution.

Kammie

Anyone been having issues with YouTube videos lately? It seems to just be YouTube videos that won't load, other streaming websites seem to work fine.

I've reinstalled FireFox and Flash and I cannot seem to find a solution.
I had that problem years ago. If I'm not mistaken, I solved it by enabling cookies on the site.

Sagitario

After updating to 17, I started having problems with tabs. After googling the issue, it turned out the problem resided on Tab Mix Plus.
I disabled the extension and everything works as it should now.
I always knew the extension was a little bloated and made Firefox slower, and after disabling, I can't believe how much bloated it actually was and how slow it made the browser.
I don't know if I will go back (as of now, the extension is incompatible with FF17: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/tab-mix-plus/, an update will be available on January 2013. There is a beta right now with the tabs issues fixed).

Are there any good alternatives to Tab Mix Plus? I really liked and used some of the options it provided, but I am liking my quick FF better (at least for now).

Have you tried to disable protected mode in flash? Doing that fixed all issues for me on 3 different computers:

To disable Protected Mode, open the mms.cfg file located in:

Windows 32bit: C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash

Windows 64bit: C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

then add this line to it and save the file:

ProtectedMode=0

Thanks for this!!! I've been dealing with stuttering videos in hd until the full thing loaded since Flash 11 came out. This fixed the issue completely!

Toppot

Anybody else's tabs kinda broken with 17?

When I get a FB message or hotmail email my tab doesn't change to the dark grey to show something has changed, nor does my Tab Badge extension work anymore. Worth clearing my cache or cookies?

EDIT: Clearing them seemed to work though Tab Badge is still acting up, I suspect the changes in 17 have broken it.

All is fine now.

Mozilla quietly ceases Firefox 64-bit development

Mozilla engineering manager Benjamin Smedberg has asked developers to stop nightly builds for Firefox on 64-bit versions of Windows.

A developer thread posted on the Google Groups mozilla.dev.planning discussion board, titled "Turning off win64 builds" by Smedberg proposed the disabling of the Windows 64-bit nightly builds for Firefox.

Citing reasons that Firefox 64-bit is a "constant source of misunderstanding and frustration," the engineer wrote that the builds often crash, many plugins are not available in 64-bit versions, and hangs are more common due to a lack of coding which causes plugins to function incorrectly. In addition, Smedberg argues that this causes users to feel "second class," and crash reports between 32-bit and 64-bit versions are difficult to distinguish between for the stability team.

The engineer then posted a thread titled "Disable windows 64 builds" on Bugzilla, asking developers to "stop building windows [sic] 64 builds and tests." These include the order to stop building Windows 64-bit nightly builds and repatriate existing Windows 64-bit nightly users onto Windows 32-bit builds using a custom update.

In order to stave off argument, even though one participant suggested that 50 percent of nightly testers were using the system, perhaps as an official 64-bit version of Firefox for Windows has never been released, Smedberg said it was "not the place to argue about this decision, which has already been made."

Im_Special

^^ Good, rather they not split there focus on unnecessary 64bit builds.

So many people are under this illusion that 64bit can bring performance improvements over 32bit, it's a completely false scenario. The most 64bit can bring is more memory space, but considering Firefox's memory usage, we don't “really” need more than 2gb of ram.

This pretty much holds true for all 64bit vs 32bit programs. 64bit isn't always the better choice especially for a browser.

Only reason I entertained the notion of a 64bit browser is because I have tab issues. As in I keep 45+ tabs open over the course of days before I decide to close my browser. Hitting that memory ceiling is pretty easy for me lol. But I'm learning self control and moderation. Despite all that, I have only downloaded a 64bit browser once, and when some of my favorite addons didn't work I never went back.

Kammie

Only reason I entertained the notion of a 64bit browser is because I have tab issues. As in I keep 45+ tabs open over the course of days before I decide to close my browser. Hitting that memory ceiling is pretty easy for me lol. But I'm learning self control and moderation. Despite all that, I have only downloaded a 64bit browser once, and when some of my favorite addons didn't work I never went back.
What do you need 45 tabs for? That's ridiculous.

If you're keeping them open to read something later, use an addon like Pocket.

sca2511

So many people are under this illusion that 64bit can bring performance improvements over 32bit, it's a completely false scenario. The most 64bit can bring is more memory space, but considering Firefox's memory usage, we don't “really” need more than 2gb of ram.

This pretty much holds true for all 64bit vs 32bit programs. 64bit isn't always the better choice especially for a browser.

Oh well, still got Watefox and Pale Moon.

What about when web apps start to get super complex and leverage local resources in doing so?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

45 is small time, I have like 70-100 tabs or whatevs in Firefox.

Anyway, FF 18 beta is out.

Also, typing out posts on GAF via Android FF is kinda shit, as when I'm using backspace to delete parts of a post I'm replying to, the marker will randomly jump to the end of the quoted text and start deleting that instead. What's up with that? And is there any way to fix it?

Sagitario

I think I am finally annoyed and tired of the Flash issue with Firefox. I still can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet :\

xRD3F.png

Because any time I see a link I middle click! I can't be bothered to close a tab when I'm done. D:

Right now I have 63 tabs open atm. Why? who knows, many of them are for reading later or were tangents from something I was doing earlier (example, looked up new shoes -> different pair of shoes -> celebrity wearing shoes -> celebrity talks about their music -> oh cute chick doing interview - > google cute chick's name -> cute chick twitter - > cute chick's picture -> random object noticed in photo, google object -> found some random awesome site -> more middle clicking chaos ensues).

The finalized download panel looks great, the beta versions also have this nice image smoothing feature so pics with high resolutions don't look so jaggy, very nice stuff.

Izick

So I decided to get rid of all the dev builds of browsers on my computer, Nightly, Nightly UI, Canary, etc. and I deleted all of my add-ons and info for my regular Firefox...fuck.

Can someone help me find the list of best add ons? I really just used the ones for security I think.

Izick

Are you using any extensions like NoScript? Also, did you ever enter the HTML5 beta? Disable it.

Here's what I remember:

-Web of Trust
-NoScript
-Adblock Plus
-Better Privacy

That's...about all I can remember. I could try Ghostery, but I think that's redundant if I have those other add-ons. Am I missing anything? (Also I'll disable that beta.)

Toppot

Anyone else's Pinned Tabs disappear after close/reopen occasionally?

If you have multiple windows open and you close your pin tabbed one before you close the other windows (like image properties, download window, another browser window etc) it won't save them. Might be the cause.

If you have multiple windows open and you close your pin tabbed one before you close the other windows (like image properties, download window, another browser window etc) it won't save them. Might be the cause.

Hmmm....I don't think I'm doing that, but now I'll watch out for it. Thanks!

Anyone get random 10 second interface freezes?
This will happen to me randomly, sometimes on facebook, other times somewhere else.
All of a sudden the entire firefox interface completely freezes for about 10 seconds. Everything else on the computer is totally responsive though. It never crashes or anything and you just have to wait til it's done but it's still strange.

This will happen to me randomly, sometimes on facebook, other times somewhere else.
All of a sudden the entire firefox interface completely freezes for about 10 seconds. Everything else on the computer is totally responsive though. It never crashes or anything and you just have to wait til it's done but it's still strange.

that happens to me randomly too, not because a download is finishing or anything, just out of nowhere.

that happens to me randomly too, not because a download is finishing or anything, just out of nowhere.

I noticed it happens a lot when facebook starts loading the chat on the right side sometimes but not every time. But it happens other random times too. I wish I knew what it was even though it's not that big a deal really.

Sagitario

Since last year, I have been using MacGurcules script to make FF look like this:

MzCEl.png

[but with small icons]

Unfortunately, when I try to use a theme or change some stuff around, it doesn't work/look like it should, but I don't mind cause I really prefer not having tabs on top.
Without the script there is so much space wasted.

Right now, I am using rein theme:

E99lC.png

I don't like having tabs on top, but without that, this happens and it bothers me:

W4xHi.png

I wish there was a way to make the navigation bar stay next the Firefox button (like in the first picture or this one: http://i.imgur.com/OAflN.png) without the use of such script. While I'm grateful for the script (customization FTW), I sometimes feel like trying some themes so I have to stop using it and that implies 2 things I dislike greatly: tabs on top or wasted space (when using a 1366x768 resolution laptop, every pixel counts)

This is what caused me to switch to Chrome recently. I've been using Firefox for ages but these lockups were getting ridiculously frequent. I don't know if it's an extension or what.

Top Bottom