• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Blade Runner 2049 impressions

...The video released 4 hours ago

Anyway, isn't that kind of like criticizing Traffic for not going into its themes with the same depth as The Wire? Blade Runner is exploring its themes through the lens of cyberpunk sci-fi noir, but it's still a sci-fi cyberpunk noir. Solaris is a philosophical rumination of its themes, solely focused on exploring those questions.

Oh, for some reason I thought it was the analysis by nerdwriter, I am truly sorry, my mistake!

I get what you're saying, and probably I'm unable to judge this on its own merits. I saw Blade Runner as a part of a school project seven years ago, where we had to discuss philosophy in cinema. So, around that time I saw movies that stuck with me and resonated more deeply like Solaris and 2001 (and other non-sci-fi movies). I felt like this was trying to do the same, but failing, and since it was so beautiful I've never been able to overcome this sense of frustration while talking about it. I should probably give it a second shot, I know.

DirtyCase

Fuck yes
Never doubted Villeneuve

Side note: if this and Dune are both good, does Villeneuve become the God of sci-fi for the rest of time?

Yes.... yes he does.

He will become untoucable forever if Dune can be
1.) succesful, and
2.) Set up so that we eventually see God Emperor of Dune being adapted.

Fergie

Banned
giphy.gif

Trago

A good Cyberpunk Movie in 2017 cool, I am excited by that
(But there again I liked Ghost in the Shell)

Oh yeah Talking about isn't Ruiner out today too? And the Blade Runner Anime

What a Time to like Cyberpunk.

Crazy isn't it? Even though I thought the film fell flat, Ghost In The Shell's visuals was an absolute treat for a Cyberpunk fanboy like myself, and I'm so ready to see what kind of stuff this new movie can throw at me visually.

Cyberpunk is the shit!

Fuck yes
Never doubted Villeneuve

Side note: if this and Dune are both good, does Villeneuve become the God of sci-fi for the rest of time?

Dune shall be his ultimate test.
I still think a high quality, high budget tv show could do Dune justice, but I'm gaining faith Villeneuve could pull it off.

3rdman

Dune shall be his ultimate test.
I still think a high quality, high budget tv show could do Dune justice, but I'm gaining faith Villeneuve could pull it off.

LOL I came in with the same thought...It's a book I've read 3 times...I'd love to see a proper version someday. Hype!

KodaRuss

I am really fucking pumped for this movie. Glad to see it is getting good impressions.

If Villenueve really has pulled this off he is unstoppable.

teiresias

I wasnt particularly impressed with the showing of IT I saw in my local Dolby Cinema theater. The image looked soft to me and I didn't really notice anything that screamed HDR to me, but perhaps It wasnt filmed to take advantage of the format.

dmshaposv

What‘s his highest grossing movie?

If this is as good as they say it is + Ryan gosling + harrison ford + blade runner hype and legacy = his new highest grossing movie.

Arrival was his last film (and highest grossing), and people have a very good taste in their mouth from it.

sounds dope. wanna wait and see what indiewire or something says about it though (of course either way I'm seeing this first week its out, love Blade Runner, the cast and Villeneuve is an exciting director, though certainly not best working right now for me)

This is a pretty solid group of initial impressions via a sampling of the enthusiast press.

Deakins is finally getting his Oscar this year. Been feeling like that since he got announced.

(then again, I always feel like that)

nah. Feel like this year will belong to Nolan or that dude behind Call Me By Your Name

(oh shit my bad, misread your post as Villeneuve for some reason. yeah hopefully Deakin wins for once. even though Hoyte Van Hoytema fucking killed it this year with Dunkirk)

I rarely care about the length of films, but hearing this is almost 3 hours long kind of excites me. Can't wait to kick back and soak in the sci-fi noir atmosphere.

Iceman

I've been to one of those. Its kinda nice, but not worth the $15 ticket.

Welp. It'll cost me $20/ticket (Los Angeles). Paid $25 for Dunkirk IMAX and I thought that was worth it, so here's hoping.

Does anyone know if the AMC Burbank Dolby Cinema is particularly shiny compared to the other local Dolby's? I'm looking at AMC Santa Anita just because it's closest.

this Erik Davis guy is pretty sus with the reviews. but still I'm more inclined to believe Villeneuve's Blade Runner sequel is good than not.

better than the original though? lol we'll see.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

There could be, but that wouldn't nullify the positive impressions already expressed.

Welp. It'll cost me $20/ticket (Los Angeles). Paid $25 for Dunkirk IMAX and I thought that was worth it, so here's hoping.

The one I went to had fully-adjustable seats, which was nice. It also advertised better sound and black levels, but so I'd recommend it if that sounds appealing to you.

Blade Runner ain’t even that slow. Certainly no slower than other noirs. That take always makes me feel like the poster rarely branches out beyond action movies and capeshit.

shaneo632

Last I heard the embargo was day of release, not sure if they're doing some sort of tiered embargo nonsense where enthusiasts will be able to publish their 5-star reviews first.

wazoo

I saw Blade Runner on a big screen. Big moment.

I have compassion for people saying they will look at it on google play. You waste your time.

Ashhong

I saw Blade Runner on a big screen. Big moment.

I have compassion for people saying they will look at it on google play. You waste your time.

It's a waste of time to watch it the only way they can?

Does this count as pretentious?

Zetta

jE5lrw2.gif

I am so happy to hear that they were able to deliver. Can't wait for this.

Lol this is the perfect gif to describe how I felt when I came in here. I've had my tickets bought since last week but was skeptical about the whole movie so this is fantastic news.

I actually feel like shedding tear reading these. I'm so ready for a sci-fi masterpiece it's not even funny. This movie might just make my year.

Top Bottom