• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at THE FLASH [Extended trailer in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

There was a negative experience with the Originals back door pilot? I thought people liked it but hated the pilot for the actual series. But either way, Originals got fucking awesome after that first episode.

Yeah, the first episode was recieved pretty crappily, because they essentially had to retell the backdoor pilot. With Flash it would be the same. It's just not a good way to open shows that need a lot of background info. It only works in pure procedurals, like CSI or NCIS.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
That's a shame...

I probably won't make it past 1 episode. My tv watching time is precious as it is...Still, I will give The Flash and maybe Arrow a shot.

Show's great, but season 1 specially the first 5 or 6 episodes aren't that good. I'd say give it a shot, it's best live-action comic book show ever (not a lot of competition of course). Show's just very entertaining, and for all the shit the acting gets I think the battle scenes are amazing for a tv show, really well made.

Two Words

I don't read the comics but I remember in particular an episode of Justice League where he's trapped in a nightmare where everything has finally frozen in time and he's all alone forever.
He's trapped in a nightmare as in he's dreaming or it actually happened for a while?

Magwik

Banned
Looks like Smallville but with the Flash instead of Superman.
Going to have Flash dealing with his new-found powers, and your villiain-of-the-week until they figure out a plot - just like with Smallville.

something something bad corporation
something something arrow dude helping you out

Looks dumb.
Even has a tornado and the Flash saving someone from a flying door.
That's an awful lot of generic criticism for not even seeing the pilot. GG.

pestul

Looks like Smallville but with the Flash instead of Superman.
Going to have Flash dealing with his new-found powers, and your villiain-of-the-week until they figure out a plot - just like with Smallville.

something something bad corporation
something something arrow dude helping you out

Looks dumb.
Even has a tornado and the Flash saving someone from a flying door.

If you've seen The Arrow, you know it won't turn out like Smallville.

bryanee

Some villain trapped the Justice League inti their worst fears. I think Wonder Woman's was being buried alive, I don't remember much of the others.

Hawkgirl is trapped in a coffin and buried alive, after having her wings restrained.

Flash is trapped in a world where he's moving so fast that everything and everyone around him appears practically motionless.

Superman's powers increase beyond his ability to control them, and he accidentally causes massive destruction and kills all those he loves, including Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, and Perry White.

John Stewart is trapped in a world where his bond with the Power Ring has literally alienated him from his loved ones to the point that he is unable to understand their language or make himself understood, and the energy of his ring is consuming him from the inside.

And Batmans a boss. He stays awake and saves the day because he's a boss

Joni

Going to have Flash dealing with his new-found powers, and your villiain-of-the-week until they figure out a plot - just like with Smallville..
Just like every show ever because they want people to actually be able to start at episode 2 or 3. No show starts with the big plot.

.... that trailer looks really bad :<

im not a fan of Arrow either though. I watched the whole of first season and it just got worse and worse. it's awkward, bad cheese.

laurel is so horribly unconvincing

i only watched Arrow because of pretty Oliver Queen's abs-pron. But even that couldnt make me go through another season of bad, awkward cheese.

Messi

.... that trailer looks really bad :<

im not a fan of Arrow either though. I watched the whole of first season and it just got worse and worse. it's awkward, bad cheese.

laurel is so horribly unconvincing

i only watched Arrow because of pretty Oliver Queen's abs-pron. But even that couldnt make me go through another season of bad, awkward cheese.

Ah well, this show is likely not for you then.

Season 2 of arrow was bonkers though.

.....hhhhhhhhhh........ okay i will continue to watch i guess. im a sucker for good fight scenes.

imma gun voodoo you with girl cooties if you mislead me, messi. just sayin.

Tenck

Had a huge grin on my face the entire time. The Flash has always been my favorite superhero, and this makes me so happy. Have faith in the show due to that second trailer in the OP.

Patryn

.....hhhhhhhhhh........ okay i will continue to watch i guess. im a sucker for good fight scenes.

imma gun voodoo you with girl cooties if you mislead me, messi. just sayin.

If you didn't like Season 1, I highly doubt you'd like Season 2.

I also highly doubt that you'd like this.

I just don't think the current DC television universe is your thing.

DrBo42

I don't think I know a single person from the Flash's rogues gallery. Are they all corny and terrible or will I be pleasantly surprised?

Patryn

I don't think I know a single person from the Flash's rogues gallery. Are they all corny and terrible or will I be pleasantly surprised?

Flash has a really famous rogue's gallery, actually. Most of them are quirky, but they're fairly popular.

Notable ones:

Captain Cold
Mirror Master
Weather Wizard
The Trickster
Captain Boomerang
Abra Kadabra
Heat Wave

They're pretty corny. They have names like Captain Boomerang, Weather Wizard, Captain Cold, the Trickster. But I wouldn't say they're terrible. In fact, the Flash has one of the better rogues galleries in comics behind Batman and Spider-Man.

I'm sure the show will do its best to make them a bit less corny.

Wiktor

Arrow has a certain amount of cheese you have to be down for or it won't work. If you didnt like Arrow S1, S2 won't change your mind, and The Flash seems to following a similar tone, if not a bit more upbeat.
TO be honest, I don't think superheroes work without at least a bit of cheese. Nolan might have managed to avoid it, but he just made three movies. On longer formats it's unavoidable.

And this is Flash we're talking about, the guys is cheese and his villains are also deliciously so too. Dark serious aproach might work on Arrow, but in Flash? Nope.

Slayven

They corny in name, but not in practice. They have their own code and rules, and aren't the world conquering sort.

God a dark adn gritty flash would be terrible.

Malvingt2

Jonah Weiland @jonahweiland ·
Just watched The Flash pilot. @AJKreisberg @geoffjohns @GBerlanti you guys hit it out of the park! Really fantastic! I'm in! #dccomics

Jonah Weiland @jonahweiland ·
I had high expectations for The Flash pilot, but that went FAR beyond what I expected. @grantgust nails it, carries the show well.

so does arrow get any better?

i watched the first episode and it features cringe worthy dialogue, bad cinematography, and bad acting all round, but i've been told the show is good.

is the pilot just really bad and then it gets better?

DieH@rd

Banned

i watched the first episode and it features cringe worthy dialogue, bad cinematography, and bad acting all round, but i've been told the show is good.

It gets a lot better... but it is an superhero action show on CW. Dont expect miracles [although miracles happened in S2 a lot, fantastic stuff from entire cast].

Clevinger

The dialogue never gets better. It's garbage. Well, it gets a little better at humor, but that's about it.

I don't remember the cinematography ever being bad other than some awkward CG rooftop scenes and such. I'd say it's good for a small show.

The acting gets better in some ways. The lead actor goes from god awful to decent with flashes of good here and there in the second season. But just when he's starting to get better, they introduce an actress who is even worse than he was.

The show gets better, but I don't think it's anywhere near amazing like a lot of people here do. IMO if you ever feel like quitting, try skipping to ep 9. If you still want to quit, then try ep 14. Those are where the show figures itself out better and there are some quality bumps.

It's a CW show. So the cringe worthy stuff, bad cinematography and "just for looks" actors is to be expected. I would say that it is a little better than most the stuff on CW though.

VeeP

The show improved a lot. You'll see an increase in quality throughout the season, especially half way through.

Season 2 is a step above season 1 in every way. Better action, story, choreography, etc.

So people are getting screeners of the pilot (and others) it seems, only seen one impression so far but it was very positive. Wonder if watermarking will prevent it from being leaked.

Skunkers

thanks for the honest tips guys

does... uh does laurel gets better at her acting?

Not tremendously. Her acting itself honestly doesn't bother me so much, but unfortunately the writing for her character just goes all over the place, particularly early in season 2 and she simply doesn't have the acting chops to pull any of it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom