• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at THE FLASH [Extended trailer in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
vap4SvL.gif
This provides excellent fuel for the imagination :eek:

Wiktor

Meh, I don't know. The new marvel movies have made me really dislike boring DC, I'll probably skip this. It's not like Flash is the most interesting character to watch either.

I'll stick to waiting for new Heroes.

For a trolling attempt this wasn't really a good one.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Wiktor

Slade should never be able to beat Flash, but whatever.
Wouldn't it be possible to just assassinate Flash though? I don't think he keeps those reflexes up all the time (that would be a sure fire way to go insane). So a bullet fired from a mile away from silenced sniper rifle should propably do he job.

Wouldn't it be possible to just assassinate Flash though? I don't think he keeps those reflexes up all the time (that would be a sure fire way to go insane). So a bullet fired from a mile away from silenced sniper rifle should propably do he job.

Nope.

Someone tried that once.

DaveH

Wally West had an assassin shoot at him in a crowded theater and his abilities didn't kick in until the bullet touched the back of his neck... but once they kicked in he just moved and dispatched the shooter. Another time, while sleeping, a bomb went off in his house, he got up and moved the expanding bomb out of his house. Lastly, Flash was in a parade when an assassin, unknown to him, took a shot at the Mayor... Flash's abilities kicked in without even knowing why, he had to look around before he realized there was a bullet.

Regarding the insanity part, Wally says he can go into an autopilot mode so he can actually enjoy his powers (rather than suffer the Ballad of Barry Allen).

KillGore

Was that explained properly or just "lol..comics". I mean..Batman just put a bullet into Professor Zoom's head and the guy is pretty much Flash clone powers wise

Batman is the definition of "lol...comics" so it wouldn't be fair to use him and his plot armor as an example.

Wiktor

Wally West had an assassin shoot at him in a crowded theater and his abilities didn't kick in until the bullet touched the back of his neck... but once they kicked in he just moved and dispatched the shooter. Another time, while sleeping, a bomb went off in his house, he got up and moved the expanding bomb out of his house. Lastly, Flash was in a parade when an assassin, unknown to him, took a shot at the Mayor... Flash's abilities kicked in without even knowing why, he had to look around before he realized there was a bullet.

Regarding the insanity part, Wally says he can go into an autopilot mode so he can actually enjoy his powers (rather than suffer the Ballad of Barry Allen).
Lol...so it's another case of comic writers throwing out consistency in powers? I mean....at least in animation Bats used a bullet, but in comics he killed Zoom with a damn sword :D

Anyway, I hope they don't go to this ridiculous levels of power in a show, as writting around that would bound to be a nightmare :D

Two Words

I have no knowledge of The Flash's storyline. Seeing as how he sees everything in super slow motion, does the Flash's story ever explore him hating his gift because everything around him feels like it is moving at a 1/1000th of its regular speed? Casual conversations feel like hours. Waiting for someone to return feels like days. A boring day feeling like a year of nothing. Basically, what I'm asking is, does the Flash perceive the world as moving slowly at all times or only when he chooses and does he ever lose control of that perception if he even has it? It sounds like it would be an extremely torturing side effect.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
might be the first CW/WB/UPN show I ever watch., And then if it doesn't put a noose around its neck in the form of really horrible acting/special effects like the glimpses of other CW shows I have seen, I will go back and watch Arrow, too.

DaveH

Lol...so it's another case of comic writers throwing out consistency in powers?
Yes, but to be fair, there's a lot of comics. Unless Brad Meltzer made it his mission to study the complete history of every character appearing in Identity Crisis (which is basically the entire League and then some), he's going to default to what he knows, which was sub-sonic Teen Titan Kid Flash.

Likewise, you trying to point out an inconsistency is based on what you know... but, of course, you couldn't know that Flash underwent a soft-reboot in Ignition, where a lot of his high-end Waid-era near-cosmic powers were forgotten(ish) and Wally emerged from amnesia a street-level(ish) speedster again....

Continuity is important, sure, but air-tight consistency in terms of power level has never really been a thing in mainstream comics... the creators, audience, and stories are all meant to be disposable... create for a while then move on, read for a while and grow out of it, endure for a while then be forgotten, etc. Though that's becoming less the case....

ReiGun

I have no knowledge of The Flash's storyline. Seeing as how he sees everything in super slow motion, does the Flash's story ever explore him hating his gift because everything around him feels like it is moving at a 1/1000th of its regular speed? Casual conversations feel like hours. Waiting for someone to return feels like days. A boring day feeling like a year of nothing. Basically, what I'm asking is, does the Flash perceive the world as moving slowly at all times or only when he chooses and does he ever lose control of that perception if he even has it? It sounds like it would be an extremely torturing side effect.

The Flash can turn his powers on and off at will. So he's able to live a mostly normal life. He does get annoyed with slow situations, but it's not constant torture.

Mario007

might be the first CW/WB/UPN show I ever watch., And then if it doesn't put a noose around its neck in the form of really horrible acting/special effects like the glimpses of other CW shows I have seen, I will go back and watch Arrow, too.
While I'm happy you'll give arrow a chance, you really shouw watch Arrow for being Arrow. It's freaking amazing and pretty much the reason for the hype behind Flash.

Khezu

I remember a Flash comic where it kinda touched on that.
It mentions he doesn't have complete control over the time slow thing, so sometimes it would just randomly activate and make everything suck for awhile.

I can't say which comic it was, or if it was Barry or Wally. Only remember he was with his family and watching the TV in the background go in slow motion.

I don't think they'll include the Speed Force as a concept, at least not in the first season. They have to keep things grounded and throwing powers like infinite mass punches from energy drawn from a vague extra-dimensional source would lose a lot of people.

Time travel is also a slippery slope when it comes to storytelling because of the plot holes it can open up, but I think they'll address it with the murder of Barry's mother. As long as it isn't used liberally as a deus ex machina (much like the Speed Force) then I'll be happy.

Looks like Smallville but with the Flash instead of Superman.
Going to have Flash dealing with his new-found powers, and your villiain-of-the-week until they figure out a plot - just like with Smallville.

something something bad corporation
something something arrow dude helping you out

Looks dumb.
Even has a tornado and the Flash saving someone from a flying door.

Mario007

Is it nerd amazing or legitimately amazing? I can't stand hokey acting, FYI.
First season has some crappy acting from some of the supporting cast. Apart from that the acting is ok. The plot and fast pace and action is what keeps you watching it though.
Looks like Smallville but with the Flash instead of Superman.
Going to have Flash dealing with his new-found powers, and your villiain-of-the-week until they figure out a plot - just like with Smallville.

something something bad corporation
something something arrow dude helping you out

Looks dumb.
You haven't seen Arrow, have you?

Wiktor

Looks dumb.

Isn't Flash as a whole a little silly though? I think that's part of it's charm. It can't really take itself completely seriously all the time, not with a rogues gallery like this.

And I wouldn't worry about the plot much. CW rarely dissapoints in this area and the team behind Flash is a proved one.

Slayven

I remember a Flash comic where it kinda touched on that.
It mentions he doesn't have complete control over the time slow thing, so sometimes it would just randomly activate and make everything suck for awhile.

I can't say which comic it was, or if it was Barry or Wally. Only remember he was with his family and watching the TV in the background go in slow motion.

Might be when their powers were acting up. One time Wally was at a movie with Linda, and dude comes in and shoots at him. He doesn't react until he feels the bullet touch his neck.

Wiktor

wait i thought they decided to not make this an arrow crossover? when did that change?
When the reception to Barry's introduction in Arrow turned out to be even better than expected.

I suspect the negative experience with Vampire Diaries / Originals backdoor pilot also had something to do with it.

When the reception to Barry's introduction in Arrow turned out to be even better than expected.

I suspect the negative experience with Vampire Diaries / Originals backdoor pilot also had something to do with it.
There was a negative experience with the Originals back door pilot? I thought people liked it but hated the pilot for the actual series. But either way, Originals got fucking awesome after that first episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom